Metal Storm logo
Favorite Vocal Style

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 07.07.2011 - 20:02
I chose Death Growls, maybe because I prefer NORMAL death metal over other genres.

Poll

Which Is Your Favorite Vocal Style?

Clean Vocals (Several Genres)
Death Growls (Death Metal)
Aggressive (Thrash Metal)
Melodic (Power Metal)
Black Metal Shrieks (Black Metal)
Symphonic (Symphonic Metal)
Harsh Vocals (Extreme Power/Folk)
Guttural And Squeals (Brutal Death)

Total votes: 117
11.07.2011 - 23:36
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
I perfer the aggressive but not too aggressive stylings of Thrash Metal Vocalist. Not as deep as Death growls and shrieking like Black metal, but still heavy and brutal.
Vocals from Megadeth, Slayer, Sepultura, Sodom, Overkill (Esspessially Ironbound) and Coroner are good examples, but I also like the really melodic vocals like Belladonna-era Anthrax.
I also like powerful vocals like Ronnie James Dio and Bruce Dickenson.
12.07.2011 - 01:32
Guib
Thrash Talker
Impossible to vote...

I love the Harsh Vocals.. but not because of Extreme Power Metal or Folk... more because of TDM and some thrash bands actually
(Death later vocals / Arsis Vocals / Atheist Vocals / Skeletonwitch vocals / Quo Vadis vocals / Cautiva vocals (not all though)

maybe im playing on words... but yeah this is basically my favorite type of vocals.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
28.08.2011 - 12:47
Metal_4Ever
What do you mean by Symphonic Style?
01.09.2011 - 03:02
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by Metal_4Ever on 28.08.2011 at 12:47

What do you mean by Symphonic Style?

Operatic. Like Nightwish and Epica.
02.09.2011 - 05:13
ToMegaTherion
I like a mixture of vocal styles, I particularly appreciate those singers who can do 2 or more styles such as Ihsahn, Mikael Akerfeldt, amongst others.
02.09.2011 - 12:57
ANGEL REAPER
Written by ToMegaTherion on 02.09.2011 at 05:13

I like a mixture of vocal styles, I particularly appreciate those singers who can do 2 or more styles

me too ..also i believe that a mix if vocals is rather a nice thing to hear...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
04.09.2011 - 01:47
ToMegaTherion
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 02.09.2011 at 12:57

I like a mixture of vocal styles, I particularly appreciate those singers who can do 2 or more styles

I agree, I can appreciate good singers of any genre or style to be fair. But it is a real bonus and a big plus when they have mastered multiple styles.
04.09.2011 - 06:28
edgethrasherx
I like, a lot of difrent types of styles. But i mainly like aggressive and death vocals. Depending on the song i sometimes like clean vocals
----
"killing for religion. something i don't understand"-Dave Mustaine
12.09.2011 - 00:30
Personally, I like the growl/harsh vocals, like that heard in Folk/Viking Metal. It takes a lot of effort to sing, and I like the masculinity.
12.09.2011 - 19:15
Glaucus
Though I like pretty much everything that you can vote for, I've always felt more of a connection to Power Metal vocals... But, hey, always best to mix it up. Can have a masterpiece without a little bit of everything.
----
"Pretty easy work, for a God." - Freya ~ Valkyrie Profile
13.09.2011 - 06:50
Garth Vader
Too broad a subject to pick just one. I love some thrash vocals like Havok, or Annihilator. I love some Power Metal vocals like Pagan's Mind, and Jorn, I love some Symphonic ala Nightwish or Kamelot , I love brutal growls like in Hail of Bullets or Bolt Thrower, I love the combo of clean and death as in Scar Symmetry or Solution .45, etc...

Within each of these genres though there are vocals I don't really care for: Metallica (so shoot me), Dead Soul Tribe, alot of metalcore with the shouty stuff just doesn't do it for me, alot of sub-par symphonic female vocals just make me grind my teeth, and completely unintelligible gutteral vocals leave me wondering if the lead singer even knows the words.

The combo vocalist impresses me: think Christian Alvestam, Daniel de Jongh from Textures.
----
Now I so clearly see how I have murdered me
13.09.2011 - 07:17
Garth Vader
Written by Garth Vader on 13.09.2011 at 06:50

Too broad a subject to pick just one. I love some thrash vocals like Havok, or Annihilator. I love some Power Metal vocals like Pagan's Mind, and Jorn, I love some Symphonic ala Nightwish or Kamelot , I love brutal growls like in Hail of Bullets or Bolt Thrower, I love the combo of clean and death as in Scar Symmetry or Solution .45, etc...

Within each of these genres though there are vocals I don't really care for: Metallica (so shoot me), Dead Soul Tribe, alot of metalcore with the shouty stuff just doesn't do it for me, alot of sub-par symphonic female vocals just make me grind my teeth, and completely unintelligible gutteral vocals leave me wondering if the lead singer even knows the words.

The combo vocalist impresses me: think Christian Alvestam, Daniel de Jongh from Textures.

Should actually read Eric Kalsbeek of Textures... Daniel is the new guy and does a good job but not quite as phenomenal as Eric.
----
Now I so clearly see how I have murdered me
13.09.2011 - 13:24
Warman
Erotic Stains
It all depends, of course. I like all the styles. But I guess I've always had a perverse thing for black metal shrieks.
----
14.09.2011 - 11:38
scrambles
Holy shit, i love slamdeath style guttural growls and pig squeals. Big C from Abominable Putridity is really good, as are Manne from Degrade and Martin from Pighead. Hands down, though, my favorite song as far as vocals go is Consummating Omophagia, by Angel from Cephalotripsy.
14.09.2011 - 12:08
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
I'm not sure who counts as what style. What does Kimberly Goss's vocals count as? ICS Vortex? Messiah Marcolin? Charlotte Wessels? Risa Reaper? King Diamond?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
18.09.2011 - 00:02
Hellish Star
High pitched, soaring vocals like James Rivera (Helstar), Warrel Dane (Sancturay), John Cyriis (Agent Steel)...
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
28.10.2012 - 11:39
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I personally love clean vocals more myself. I love many of the other ones, however I'll always be in the mood for clean vocals (considering Viva Emptiness by Katatonia is all-clean, except for a few backing vocals, and is my favorite album ever).
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
07.11.2012 - 19:07
FourMechALEX
Account deleted
Written by [user id=101272] on 11.07.2011 at 23:36

I perfer the aggressive but not too aggressive stylings of Thrash Metal Vocalist. Not as deep as Death growls and shrieking like Black metal, but still heavy and brutal.
Vocals from Megadeth, Slayer, Sepultura, Sodom, Overkill (Esspessially Ironbound) and Coroner are good examples, but I also like the really melodic vocals like Belladonna-era Anthrax.
I also like powerful vocals like Ronnie James Dio and Bruce Dickenson.

Totally, this just describes my opinion here, haha. Thrash has vocals that are heavy and brutal and yet still convey emotion and meaning. I also always appreciate vocals that are just obviously good, as you mentioned about Dio and Bruce Dickenson, but on the converse I can't get into anything operatic even though yes the singers are fantastic, it just doesn't feel like it goes well with the metal instrumentals, and doesn't even feel very relatable to me if the vocals are so perfect and impossible.
19.11.2012 - 15:04
BlueHeart
I don't have a favorite vocal style; it's all about context.
27.01.2013 - 05:03
squidrick420
I like good old fashioned BM shrieks. There is nothing else like that in music, and i find it has a really interesting effect on the overall tone of the music.
28.01.2013 - 23:13
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
It depends, but I voted for death growls (although black metal shrieks are excellent when used correctly!)
28.01.2013 - 23:46
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Aggressive and Death Growls, hhm and a bit of black metal shrieks
29.01.2013 - 07:53
BADDEST MEMBER
I like the Epic clean vocal in metal, though it is just an element in vocal for typical genre style Epic-feel/touch, so it is not used much when it comes to be main part of a song. Those guys have it like Vortex of Dimmu Borgir, clean vocal in Windir, one in Wintersun,...etc
31.01.2013 - 08:31
Monolithic
♠♠♠
I'm doubtful that you ever had any second thoughts about explaining a bit about Sludge Metal and screaming vocals.
31.01.2013 - 12:55
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by BlueHeart on 19.11.2012 at 15:04

I don't have a favorite vocal style; it's all about context.

What he said. Totally depends on the music for me. Sometimes I hate the vocals, but love the music, but I might like that style of vocals in a different band.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
01.02.2013 - 00:35
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 02.09.2011 at 12:57

Jason Mendonca...'nuff said
03.02.2013 - 07:30
whatsacow
I prefer a mixture. Unexpect do this really well, with growls, shrieks, aggressive and clean vocals.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
28.03.2013 - 14:08
Metal_Elle
I prefer clean vocals in several genres.
01.04.2013 - 16:33
Rhiannon
Account deleted
"Symphonic" vocals? You mean operatic? Because those are clean vocals as well.
04.04.2013 - 19:17
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
I like any kind of vocals as long as they are done well. Doesn't matter if it's black metal shrieks, death growls, clean vocals, shouts... if they sound good, they're good. If they're bad, then they're bad. Not much more complicated than that.
----