Metal Storm logo
Manga

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 04.03.2007 - 22:55
Cheers people!

I noticed that there was no Manga thread in this recreaton forum, and since I am a rather big fan of manga (and mostly prefer it to anime) I would be intressted in discussing it with eventual fans here.

Well to start out I got into reading manga when I was younger, reading Dragonball, One Piece etc. (6-7 years ago). And since then I have had a great intresst in reading manga.

My recent reads involve "Ichi The Killer" , which is a great manga, and here is a description of it:

Yakuza boss Anjo disappears with three hundred million yen. His loyal gang members, lead by the masochist Kakihara, start a search, but their aggressive and gory methods worry the other yakuza gangs. Kakiharas most frightening counterpart is the mysterious Ichi, a psychopathic killer with a dark childhood secret, who is controlled by a retired cop.

This manga is definitly not for the faint of heart since every volume contains so much violence, sex and torture scenes (often in combination) it is quite disgusting to read at times. But since the main characthers really are very intressting, I still cant help but to really enjoy it.

Kakihara the masochist has to be one of the coolest manga protagonists ever, here is a picture of him, notice his slashed cheeks held together with safty pins and his various cool scars. What he is holding in his hand is long needles, which happens to be his favourite toy:

So if anyone has any recommendations etc on great mangas please write here!
The manga genres I enjoy the most are, thrillers / psochological / action. And to a certain degree (if well done) comedymanga in various forms.

/Basso
26.03.2007 - 08:46
Woven Elegy
Account deleted
One manga i truely reccomend to any reader who enjoys a good battle is Samurai Deeper Kyo. I won't mention the story or anything like it but if you do see it at the retailers get at least one to see what you think. it's not a short story either, I think there are about 35-6 mangas so far and maybe it's still going (don't quote me on this).

What idiot invented Fluorescent Lights?
26.03.2007 - 19:22
legend_destroyer
Account deleted
For SDK there were 38 volumes and the last one came out as of june of 2006. Definitely a good read, for both people new to manga, and those who are old pros of reading manga.

I am afraid I don't get the second part of the post, but for some off topic information, Peter Copper Hewitt. The first mercrury vapor lamp was patented in 1901
27.03.2007 - 06:00
Woven Elegy
Account deleted
Thats cool, that means i still have quite alot left to read yet. I've also been enjoying XXXholic, it's different but maybe that what i like about it. it's probabl;y the only thing i like that was done by the CLAMP girls.

@legend_destroyer
I'm impressed by your knowledge but that wasn't a question you really had to answer, I just like to type things underneath the primary post and one of them was to point out (sortof) that I hate fluorescent lights, thats all.

FIN!
28.03.2007 - 08:11
Eight
Shapeshifter
I found a great site with alot on scanned manga, so im joining the club, im now reading 'Air Gear'
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
28.03.2007 - 19:13
Basso
Account deleted
@ Jester Eddie:

Does that site have anything to do with "Stop"ping "Tazmo"? *hints *nudge *nudge

Well anyway atm im reading "Welcome to the NHK!" and I first discovered this series by watching the anime before, and it was great. But since we all know that anime never ever have proper endings I wanted more, thus I picked up the manga.

Its basicly about a social withdrawn person with minus four in socializing skills and hes a worthless freeloader of his parents. He however meets a girl that wants to help him to cure this situation... and there it is. The story itself is quite tragic and sad, but at the same time very very very funny.
The social withdrawal problem is supposedly huge in Japan atm and is becomming a problem in society.
Statistics show that 10% of all male students end up as social withdrawn or as "hikikomori" as it properly called in japaneese.
Quite scary problem..
21.04.2007 - 19:34
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
On a different note, has anyone here ever read the warcraft manga for the "Sunwell Trilogy?" I own the first two volumes, it's mediocer, but I need to pick up the last volume.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
23.04.2007 - 06:22
Woven Elegy
Account deleted
Written by Arian Totalis on 21.04.2007 at 19:34

On a different note, has anyone here ever read the warcraft manga for the "Sunwell Trilogy?" I own the first two volumes, it's mediocer, but I need to pick up the last volume.

I have seen it at stores but have been reluctant as to read it, the whole warcraft storyline doesn't interest me that much.

What has peaked my interest is a samurai manga i found on the web known as vagabond. It follows the life and times of legendary samurai Musashi Myamoto as he battles opponents in order to seek out strength, Its kind of like Rurouni Kenshin mixed with Berserk, The art is pretty damn flash in my opinion and I have only read about 5 managas (out of like 25 last time i checked), it's pretty edge of your seat stuff. I don't know how much of it is based on fact and how much is fiction but it really doesn't matter because it's entertaining (300 is the same).

Read it or i will steal your elbows.
23.04.2007 - 13:03
Basso
Account deleted
Written by [user id=2134] on 23.04.2007 at 06:22

I have seen it at stores but have been reluctant as to read it, the whole warcraft storyline doesn't interest me that much.

What has peaked my interest is a samurai manga i found on the web known as vagabond. It follows the life and times of legendary samurai Musashi Myamoto as he battles opponents in order to seek out strength, Its kind of like Rurouni Kenshin mixed with Berserk, The art is pretty damn flash in my opinion and I have only read about 5 managas (out of like 25 last time i checked), it's pretty edge of your seat stuff. I don't know how much of it is based on fact and how much is fiction but it really doesn't matter because it's entertaining (300 is the same).

Read it or i will steal your elbows.

I did recently discover this manga also, its damn brilliant, though I have only read 2 volumes.
23.04.2007 - 17:11
TheLaughingMan28
Account deleted
I'm Roally pissed off that not one of sorry bastards has mentioned what is hands down the greatest manga ever written!!!!

Hell, it's arguably the sole reason anyone outside of Japan even knows what manga is!!!

I'm talking, of course, about Katshurio Otomo's AKIRA. Akira was first run as a 25 page segment of the bi-weekly "Young Magazine" in Japan. It started in 1982 and ended six years later.

If you've never heard of this classic or don't know what it's about, you've either been jacking off non-stop since 1982, or you are just a fool, and one to pitied, at that. If you ever want to stop being a fool, I would recomend picking up the six volume Dark Horse version NOT the Epic Comics version, which has an ending that is quite different from Otomo's origanal work, which is resurected buetifully by Dark Horse.

What makes it so utterlly kick-ass is that it plays on humanity's primal fear of a destructive power that is beyond the scope of our abillaty as a race to control or comprehend. And don't worry, there's plenty of blood, violence, sex, and drug induced hallucinations to satisfy the the tastes of "Ichi the Killer" type manga fans.

If you haven't read it, do so, now. I mean it. Log off right fucking now and go make this 1st on your to-do list, I garuantee you'll thank me for it later.
23.04.2007 - 20:41
Basso
Account deleted
@ TheLaughingMan28: Akira is such an obvious manga it isnt even worth mentioning in this thread, thoose that havent read it are not manga fans.... But I do agree, its a must.
24.04.2007 - 03:23
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by [user id=23372] on 23.04.2007 at 17:11

I'm Roally pissed off that not one of sorry bastards has mentioned what is hands down the greatest manga ever written!!!!

Hell, it's arguably the sole reason anyone outside of Japan even knows what manga is!!!

I'm talking, of course, about Katshurio Otomo's AKIRA. Akira was first run as a 25 page segment of the bi-weekly "Young Magazine" in Japan. It started in 1982 and ended six years later.

If you've never heard of this classic or don't know what it's about, you've either been jacking off non-stop since 1982, or you are just a fool, and one to pitied, at that. If you ever want to stop being a fool, I would recomend picking up the six volume Dark Horse version NOT the Epic Comics version, which has an ending that is quite different from Otomo's origanal work, which is resurected buetifully by Dark Horse.

What makes it so utterlly kick-ass is that it plays on humanity's primal fear of a destructive power that is beyond the scope of our abillaty as a race to control or comprehend. And don't worry, there's plenty of blood, violence, sex, and drug induced hallucinations to satisfy the the tastes of "Ichi the Killer" type manga fans.

If you haven't read it, do so, now. I mean it. Log off right fucking now and go make this 1st on your to-do list, I garuantee you'll thank me for it later.

Well, I don't know about the very best, but Definitly ONE of the best. Akira is Undeniably Pimp-alicious. I love it, it gets deep into Science fictional theory and also has great character development. There is but one problem with it, It's expensive as hell
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

26.04.2007 - 06:23
Woven Elegy
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:

I did recently discover this manga also, its damn brilliant, though I have only read 2 volumes.

I knew there was atleast one person out there who knew of this manga's existence. Keep it up Bass, I am currently up to volume 11 and there is no shortage of awesomeness (is that even a word?) from what I have read.

By the way has anyone read Tohru Fugisawa's (creator of GTO fyi) latest Rose Hip Zero? I've only read about 2 volumes but it seems to be pretty good by my standards though not quite on the same level as GTO which I love.

Tip of the day: when hugging a bear, do not attempt to German Suplex them, there is little payoff.
26.04.2007 - 19:11
legend_destroyer
Account deleted
I have read the first couple of chapters to Vagabond, haven't been able to find it in any stores or on the intraweb. From what I remember of it I liked it alot, I'm gonna scour the inteernet later to find some place I can DL it.
26.04.2007 - 19:41
MadGatsu
hey i dont know if you guys discussed it already, but Berserk's manga is one of the best out there go read it! i have read the cowboy bebop, hellsing and bleach (ongoing) mangas too, but i honestly like anime better. The sounds, songs, movement of the characters, i cant really compare those to a drawing...
----
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
27.04.2007 - 04:17
Reverie
I have to say a thing... At least this happends with me... Didn't you see that people who likes anime/manga usually likes metal too? Lots of time I met a person who likes one of this 2 aspects and the other comes inmediately... Maybe it's because we don't get tied to the "normal" liking, and we're more open. What do you think?
----
In the corner beside my window...
There hangs a lonely photograph...

There is a wound that's always bleeding...
There is a road I'm always walking...
27.04.2007 - 12:24
MadGatsu
Written by Reverie on 27.04.2007 at 04:17

I have to say a thing... At least this happends with me... Didn't you see that people who likes anime/manga usually likes metal too? Lots of time I met a person who likes one of this 2 aspects and the other comes inmediately... Maybe it's because we don't get tied to the "normal" liking, and we're more open. What do you think?

i know more people that like 1 of the two things, than people that like both ;P so i dunno. maybe im just unlucky with meeting ppl? lol
----
27.04.2007 - 17:02
legend_destroyer
Account deleted
I know a more than a few people who like anime, who don't like metal, more so with the people who become obsessed with anime and start writing fanfics, generally those people like crappy j pop, as it is what is played for the beginning and end themes. Generally because they want the more authentic feel because they are japanophiles.

As for a metal head who does not like anime, that is something I have yet to find.
27.04.2007 - 17:38
MadGatsu
Written by [user id=21954] on 27.04.2007 at 17:02

I know a more than a few people who like anime, who don't like metal, more so with the people who become obsessed with anime and start writing fanfics, generally those people like crappy j pop, as it is what is played for the beginning and end themes. Generally because they want the more authentic feel because they are japanophiles.

As for a metal head who does not like anime, that is something I have yet to find.

so u mean every single metalhead here on MS likes anime? ;P i seriously doubt it lol and i do know ppl who like metal who dont give a crap about "stupid cartoons" like they call it lol
----
28.04.2007 - 01:23
Reverie
Hahaha, well, here it happens that: you like not common things, and it's like a snowball rolling xD You like anime, metal and videogames... I don't say this happens with everyone, but in my case, the 98% it happens xD
----
In the corner beside my window...
There hangs a lonely photograph...

There is a wound that's always bleeding...
There is a road I'm always walking...
30.04.2007 - 02:34
Woven Elegy
Account deleted
I can't say I know of that many people myself who enjoy both anime/manga and metal (I'd be stoked if i did).

Like what legend said, I know more people who listen to J-pop and are REALLY into the japanese culture, so much so that they make up their own stories take art classes and all that sort of manner. Now i myself also like japanese culture, it's interesting to me, but i don't have that much of a passion as to make up stories or learn to draw and so on (not that theres anything wrong with that).

The opposite also applies in that metal heads that I know think of anime as childish.

Here's to whatever genius invented hole-proof socks
30.04.2007 - 05:04
TombstoneHighway
Account deleted
Don't read alot of manga, but I enjoy reading Trigun, Love Hina, Lupin the Third, and Naruto.
01.05.2007 - 19:11
legend_destroyer
Account deleted
All good manga Tombstone, if you like Naruto you may want to check out Bleach. Or maybe check out some of the other manga that have been listed here most of the ones I recognize are really good. These statements are made assuming that you have an interest in manga and would like to expand your horizons.
01.05.2007 - 19:19
Warman
Erotic Stains
I read some Dragonball when I was 11-12 years old but never got into it. No, Marvel and The Phantom is the thing for me!
----
24.05.2007 - 20:16
ToCSiN
Account deleted
Written by MadGatsu on 26.04.2007 at 19:41

hey i dont know if you guys discussed it already, but Berserk's manga is one of the best out there go read it! i have read the cowboy bebop, hellsing and bleach (ongoing) mangas too, but i honestly like anime better. The sounds, songs, movement of the characters, i cant really compare those to a drawing...

Well this dude got it right, he said the names of the best
My fav will be Hellsing ... god damn it this Manga is just freakin' awesome ... any other fans rather than my main man here?
24.05.2007 - 23:59
Basso
Account deleted
Written by [user id=4766] on 24.05.2007 at 20:16

My fav will be Hellsing ... god damn it this Manga is just freakin' awesome ... any other fans rather than my main man here?

Ofcourse... Hellsing is awesome, and Alucard is one of the coolest main characthers I am yet to behold within the world of manga.
25.05.2007 - 00:02
ToCSiN
Account deleted
Written by [user id=5394] on 24.05.2007 at 23:59

Written by [user id=4766] on 24.05.2007 at 20:16

Ofcourse... Hellsing is awesome, and Alucard is one of the coolest main characthers I am yet to behold within the world of manga.

Man ... he is just awesome .... i like his gun .. god damn it will designed .. Manga rules
25.05.2007 - 06:54
legend_destroyer
Account deleted
Alucard's gun is rather bad ass but I prefer his fights without using his gun better.
25.05.2007 - 11:27
MadGatsu
@previous posters: Alucard has been my "hero" for some years now i like his way of "grinning" at ppl
----
11.08.2007 - 20:30
Basso
Account deleted
I did just finish reading Kisejiuu (english title Parasyte), incredible manga about parasite spores falling down from above and infesting people by taking over their brains. The main charachter however wakes up as the parasite enters his arm (on its way to his head) and stops it in his arm, making it merge with his arm. The story then developes to the interaction between Shinishi (the lead charachters) and Migi (the parasite, named migi because migi means left), and the other parasytes they encounter during their daily life.

This manga has rather flat charachters, but other than that I really like many philosophical aspects disscussed in this manga, mainly about morals ethics and how humans look at things as evil etc.

It has also lots of violence and gore which in my opinion is a huge plus

I really recommend this to everyone into "adult" manga, such as Ichi The Killer, Berserk, Goth, Gantz, MPD Psycho etc. very good read.

Wikipedia link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasyte
08.01.2008 - 03:48
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I am still reading the Rurouni Kenshin series, (I buy the manga I read, so getting through a series.....a little hectic) and I was wondering, what F***ING manga does the kyoto story arc end? I mean, I just finished issue fourteen, and we have yet another cliff hanger. I swear if it goes any longer than issue 16, I am going to go find Nobuhiro Watsuki and put my boot up his ass.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko