Metal Storm logo
Testament

Original post

Posted by __Az__, 22.05.2006 - 15:55
Im surprised theres no thread about this band yet... Just goes to show how under-rated they are.... They certainly deserve more recognition... They have many top quality thrash albums/tracks... 'The Legacy'/Alone In The Dark..... 'The New Order'/Into The Pit & Trial By Fire....

My favourite Testament track is Alone In The Dark followed closely by a host of others including Disciples Of The Watch and Burnt Offering...

So, what does everyone else think of this band?
05.08.2006 - 02:21
Fimbulvetr
Account deleted
Testament are IMO the second best thrash metal band from the US, after Slayer of course. I liked their debut, The Legacy but my favourite is The Gathering, just check the band line up in this album: Chuck Billy-vocals, Eric Peterson and James Murphy-guitars, Steve DiGiorgio-bass guitar and Dave Lombardo-drums. Just amazing!
05.08.2006 - 18:09
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
It's a shame this band is so underappreciated!! I'm only discovering them now and IMO the Legacy (only thing I've heard for the moment) is a great classic thrash album. Top stuff
----
I wish I had a mental survival kit...
05.08.2006 - 23:23
mar3|<
Account deleted
Yeah, I liked them when I was yunger and liked that kind of stuff. Unfortunately I lost their Best of CD, so I don't know if I could still like them
06.08.2006 - 00:00
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
Well, just purchase another release and you'll see
----
I wish I had a mental survival kit...
06.08.2006 - 14:25
mar3|<
Account deleted
Written by Sekhmet on 06.08.2006 at 00:00

Well, just purchase another release and you'll see

You mean download
Anyway, I can't cause I'm stuck with dial-up until october when I'm moving again where I have 100 Mbits
07.08.2006 - 21:09
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Bought The New Order today. It fucking slays! Really good stuff. I want more.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
08.08.2006 - 11:31
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
Then get more
Practice What You Preach is one heck of an album, as is The Ritual - if you havent heard them, try em out.
08.08.2006 - 21:20
Beer Fairy
We will see testament this months i want to go to see them.Whan i heard them for the first time i really liked them. I hope to go to the concert.wish me luck
08.08.2006 - 21:24
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
@Ba'al Peor. Yes, I have seen some albums really cheap out there. It's just, I am abso-fucking-letely broke, I'd get in serious trouble with my parents if I buy them. But on the otherhand, I want them soo much..
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
09.08.2006 - 01:47
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Legions Of The Dead is a killer song! I think I am going to get it tomorrow. Despite what I said one post earlier, I'll take the risk.
----

09.08.2006 - 07:06
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
Yeah, i got Practice What You Preach for $9.99 and The Ritual for $12.99. Bargain!
09.08.2006 - 07:15
Staylow
Account deleted
My personal favorite album is probably Souls of Black, with a very, very close second as The Gathering. The latter is much heavier, fierce and pissed off than the older stuff, but that doesn't always make it better.

My least favorite is The Ritual. It almost seems they were kinds stabbing for commericial viability on that one, and it's also the last one with Alex Skolnick and Louie Clemente, but he's not really a big loss considering the drumming gods that took his place on later albums, such as Tempesta, Bostaph, Hoglan (the best ever), and Lombardo, but I really think the loss of Skolnick hurt the next album, even considering the amazing talent that took his place, James Murphy.

But all in all, Testament is one of my all time favorite bands.:banger:
12.08.2006 - 04:24
Conemetal
All Testament of the "Alex Skolnick era" is great!!! "The New Order" and "Practice What You Preach" are my favs. Since "Low" (the worst one) I didn't like Testament anymore. I bought "First Strike Still Deadly", their great 2001 compilation.
----
MUCH I LEARNED FROM MY TEACHERS,
MORE FROM MY COLLEAGUES, BUT I HAVE LEARNED THE MOST FROM MY DISCIPLES
13.08.2006 - 00:13
tattootildeath
Account deleted
the gathering was a pure masterpiece, low was fucking great as well! all of their albums are worth having, a real wicked stability that possessed in the creativity dept. that's for sure! i have seen them a few times, and they slay hardcore! they recorded their albums live, without, or very minimal overdubbing! fuckin' tight man.
13.08.2006 - 08:54
Dane
Account deleted
Testament is fuckin classic.

Slayer, Sodom, and Kreator were way more extreme, but when I'm looking for something classic to headbang to, Practice What You Preach is what I grab.

The Legacy was good, Souls of Black had a couple good songs...unfortunately I disagree with my friends and apparently most of you...I think The New Order is pretty lame. Not bad musicianship or song writting, it just doesn't get me going for some reason.

The Gathering is a bit too modern and gives me a "hard rock" vibe.

I would consider Testament a pretty lack luster band but Practice What You Preach completely redeems them.
14.08.2006 - 23:32
Timelord
The first time I heard Testament they opened for Anthrax on the Among the Living tour in Pensacola, FL. They BLEW me away and I rushed out to get their debut "The Legacy". I have been a fan ever since. The second album "The New Order" is a classic but by "Practice What You Preach" the attempt by so many bands to become a bit more commercial started creeping into the fold.(PWYP is still a good album). "Souls of Black" was a very rushed album and it showed. After "The Ritual" was released I knew either Testament was done or something had to change. Alot of times musicians who study and become what I call "educated metalheads" get somewhat bored with just playing metal. This happened in Testament with Alex Skolnick(who is a GREAT guitar player). Once Alex left and a few other changes Testament re-invented themselves and have put out some of their heaviest shit yet. "The Gathering" is a GREAT album. I hope they charge on for years to come.
16.08.2006 - 00:39
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Testament is another favorite band of mine. I am currently awaiting the arrival of a Testament t-shirt to my doorstep (I'm getting it through mail-order). Anyway, my favorite Testament albums would be "The New Order" and "The Gathering". My favorite songs would be 'Trial By Fire', 'Into The Pit', 'Disciples of The Watch', 'Low', 'D.N.R.', 'True Believer', and 'Legions of the Dead'.
16.08.2006 - 04:15
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Testament in my opinion,is probably the best thrash metal there is.Practice What You Preach,The Legacy,and Low are some damn good albums even though Low no longer had Alex Skolnick.These guys never get the credit they deserve.
25.08.2006 - 03:23
Mega-Slayer
Fuck I thought I was done with Testament,but I was listening to my albums today and so I thought about buying more of their records.So I was reading reviews of "The Gathering" and at first I wasn't going to bother,I mean 1999 is pretty late for me,but I notice James Murphy and Steve Digorgio where on the album and I knew I had to get it,and of course Dave plays drums that is a all-star lineup right there.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
25.08.2006 - 03:53
Wo0dy
Account deleted
Testament owns, i love the intro to "Ride". they have alot of songs ha..
22.10.2006 - 16:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I like only early Testament till 1993, after it band changed style to more thrash style and left early thrash/speed sound, and I like more old school thrash how modern
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.10.2006 - 23:47
Unholy_Emperor
I have from them The Legacy, The Nwe Order and The Gathering and they are a very good thrash band.
03.11.2006 - 06:06
Megadeth88
Testament is another thrash band that I like a lot. They're just a tad bit behind Megadeth. I know that sounds kind of weird but I've always liked Megadeth more than Testament. (Even though Alex Skolnick, and Eric Peterson do a great job with the guitar work.)
04.11.2006 - 11:01
Drizzling Blur
Account deleted
Written by [user id=5231] on 05.08.2006 at 02:21

my favourite is The Gathering, just check the band line up in this album: Chuck Billy-vocals, Eric Peterson and James Murphy-guitars, Steve DiGiorgio-bass guitar and Dave Lombardo-drums. Just amazing!

Exactly what i wanted to say, Gathering should be their best album, the line up and also the quality of the songs show them as a matured musicians, Love D.N.R and 3 Days in Darkness.

Testament is the band that made me pick up the guitar, Return to Serentiy \\m// guess that should say it all, i dont and wont compare them with the other thrash metal acts during the early or late 90's Testament will always have a niche carved for themselves among the best bands in their genre, sad part is they are extremely under-rated.
28.11.2006 - 07:04
crown
Account deleted
Testament...
Now there's a band that have been consistent.
Every album is an evolution.
My dream came true when I saw my fave band live in Dubai in 206 March. And for the first time in my life, I actually got a bands autograph, when I caught up with them at the Dubai Airport, fuck what a trip!!!!
Fuck!!!!
Chuck and Eric, the best tag team in Metal; ever!!!!!!
12.12.2006 - 20:19
BrightNight
Testament is the best and heaviest Trash Metal band out there. They kick al other trash bands'butt. When i heard Testament for the first time i thought it couldnt get heavier. Chuck Billy has one of the strongest and most powerfull growls in the metal scene.

No other Trash band can compare to them IMO. They are true to pure metal al these years and its a shame they are that underated.

Into the Pittttttt!

OBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYY!!!
----
"So you children of the world, listen to what I say
If you want a better place to live in spread the words today
Show the world that love is still alive you must be brave
Or you children of today are Children of the Grave."
12.12.2006 - 21:35
Stigmatized
Seems like no one mentions the album "Low". Such a great album, why so overlooked?
13.12.2006 - 22:18
Devolution
They are my best thrash band ever .....
My favorite albums are Practice What you Preach , The Ritual , The legacy and Souls of Balck which wqas the first album i've heared for tihis great band.
Alex is my favorite guitarest.

I liked The Gathering but i prefer old Testament.

About Low it's not a very good one i only like Low , Hail Mary , Dog Faced Gods.
----
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
11.01.2007 - 01:47
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
Testament is one of the best bands out there! Souls of Black is a wicked album and so's the song Souls of black:).
17.01.2007 - 09:27
crown
Account deleted
You can take any of Testament's albums and there is always 3-5 songs which just stay in your head even if you don't hear them again for 2 or 3 years even!!!
The day I heard COTLOD... I was sold!!! I knew then that Chuck Billy, next to George 'Corpsegrinder' Fisher, Jeff Walker & Bruce Dickinson; was a vocal god. I find all their albums to be extremely super, some might disagree about The Ritual [pay a close listen to So Many Lies, The Electric Crown, The Ritual, Return To Serenity] or LOW [try Ride/Low/Hail Mary/ Dog Faced Gods]

People say that these 2 albums were the worst of this band, but I find them better than, the worst of even the the so called Kings of Thrash Metal [not naming!!! ]