Metal Storm logo
The most difficult genre to get into

Original post

Posted by Bitch Boy, 16.03.2007 - 01:25
I was considering to open this thread in the Metal Arena, but I think that this is not a battle at all, instead, I opened this to see which genre do you consider the hardest to get into, based on your own experience and on what you have heard/read from other people.

I know that many people seem to take a lot to get into progressive metal, for example, and I don't know why, but I supposed it's because this whole experimentation with complex structures and stuff. In the other hand, and based on the number of fans of each band, I can see that doom metal is one of the most "unpopular" (¿?) or the hardest genre to get into for most of the people here in Metal Storm (especially funeral doom).

The genre that has taken me the most to get into is death metal, basically the pure death, technical death and brutal death. I don't know why this happens to me as I don't dislike grunts, and I would say that the only death metal form I appreciate is melo-death (including gothenburg) or death metal fusions with other genres like death/doom or death/prog.

So, what do you think it is the most difficult genre to get in?
16.03.2007 - 23:18
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Valentin B on 16.03.2007 at 19:35

Written by Arian Totalis on 16.03.2007 at 19:27

Written by Valentin B on 16.03.2007 at 19:01

and i noticed that whatever genre opeth plays, it's really hard to get to like.

Opeth Plays Dark Prog

whatever. i saw "extreme progressive metal", prog death, prog and death, all the same.
and about sludge, don't you like sabbath? they wrote just some of the most fucked up distorted music, but they have a certain rhythm or something(i don't know what word to use, they're like...metal n roll or something). they're quite possibly the only real metal band(forget metallica) that both mainstreamers and metal nerds like

Oh I like sabbath, I like some Doom, but not all Doom is the same as Sludge. If you want sludge listen to Sleep or Cult of Luna, Gods! How do people listen to that Sh**. But I do Like St. Vitus and Cathedral as well as Sabbath, but they are all more like Trad Doom bands, not really straight sludge. Maby I'm thinking of Drone Sludge or whatever it's called. One of my friends is a real big fan of the stuff and he says it's pretty much written to get stoned to.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
17.03.2007 - 00:56
FTW
Account deleted
Death Metal for me is very hard genre to get into, I have tried to but I still feel like the death growl sounds really stupid and unoriginal. Its almost like a parody of metal. I saw the death metal bands Immoloation perform live ata show opening for Exodus and I never knew what Death Metal was and my first reaction was WTF?????????????????????????????????? lol
17.03.2007 - 01:25
Daru Jericho
Drone doom, maybe? Avant garde? (If we're considering it metal)

I like all genres of metal, myself. Obviously I like a lot more than others. Prog metal must be hard to get into because I haven't met any prog metallers over here! And I've met self-proclaimed post-black metallers, trad doomers, tech/brutal death metallers and more black metallers than anything. It's odd because bands like Dream Theater, Opeth, Ayreon, Porcupine Tree are really popular but I guess some people can't handle bands like Green Carnation and Pain Of Salvation? I dunno. Maybe it's just the London metallers.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

17.03.2007 - 05:07
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Written by Daru Jericho on 17.03.2007 at 01:25

I guess some people can't handle bands like Green Carnation and Pain Of Salvation?

I've heard only Pain Of Salvation, yes, I can't get into this kind of music, or at least for the moment, getting into these bands requires time and dedication. I guess that this is like that for some people
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
17.03.2007 - 16:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by The Alchemist on 17.03.2007 at 05:07

I guess some people can't handle bands like Green Carnation and Pain Of Salvation?

I've heard only Pain Of Salvation, yes, I can't get into this kind of music, or at least for the moment, getting into these bands requires time and dedication. I guess that this is like that for some people

I agree its hard to get in thos bands and well Im not big fan of them ewen how I try
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.03.2007 - 17:45
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
The genre hardest to get into for most people is probably avant garde metal. To them, the bands sound very weird and scary. This is quite understandable when the first avant garde metal bands they listen to are Gorguts and !T.O.O.H.! Then again, people may begin to enjoy it once the listen to bands such as Ulver and Sigh.
17.03.2007 - 18:01
Stigmatized
I had a hard time getting into black metal, but now I find I can enjoy several bands of that genre. It's still not my favorite genre, but it's up there.
17.03.2007 - 19:39
Dan066
Account deleted
IMO i think Doom Metal or Drone Metal is very hard to get into. Many people don't exactly get it because it's really weird and doesn't fit their style. It's a really weird genre, I'm not a huge fan of it, but I like a couple of fans who play doom and drone metal.
18.03.2007 - 00:11
Kharn
Account deleted
Indian Raga? Sounds very bizarre to the western ear, but in there there is something that most musicians could touch. You have to dedicate your life to that stuff...can go on for hours too.
18.03.2007 - 01:12
Daru Jericho
Written by The Alchemist on 17.03.2007 at 05:07

When I first heard POS I wasn't so keen on them either and already enjoyed a helluva load of prog metal bands. Now they're one of my favourite bands.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

18.03.2007 - 01:20
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
I seriously dont understand the genre label Avant garde... all it means is something different, so what makes this genre so different to others? Ulver change style all the time, they started Folk/Black Metal, went Pure Black Metal, then started using elecronic sounds, and changed their sound completely, so why avant garde? Ulver changed about as much as Therion did, so why arent Therion avant garde, they sound like noone else.
I just think it is the vaguest description and shouldnt be used.

The hardest genre to get into for me is Grindcore, or Gore Death. I just cant get into this stuff. Technical Death Metal i love though.
18.03.2007 - 03:13
Bitch Boy
Written by Dark Cornatus on 18.03.2007 at 01:20

I seriously dont understand the genre label Avant garde... all it means is something different, so what makes this genre so different to others? Ulver change style all the time, they started Folk/Black Metal, went Pure Black Metal, then started using elecronic sounds, and changed their sound completely, so why avant garde? Ulver changed about as much as Therion did, so why arent Therion avant garde, they sound like noone else.

The hardest genre to get into for me is Grindcore, or Gore Death. I just cant get into this stuff. Technical Death Metal i love though.

Well I think that an accurate definition for Avantgarde metal would be experimenting with non-conventional stuff and techniques, but still has a metal basis. I think it's wrong to define as avantgarde a band that is usually changing its genre (like those examples you mentioned: Ulver or Therion).

I suppose that avantgarde is hard to get into depending on the band, not on the genre itself.
18.03.2007 - 05:11
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher

Well, Avant Garde means "experimental" and is generally characterized by things such as Time Changes (but not like Dream theater crazy) Electronic noises and unheard of crossovers (Such as Black metal and Industrial) I don't listenb to Ulver and I've only ever heard one therion album, so I can't really ahelp you with them specifically. I do know that the therion Album I heard would be considered more in the Symphonic/Operatic metal area.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
18.03.2007 - 06:57
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Written by Arian Totalis on 18.03.2007 at 05:11

Well, Avant Garde means "experimental" and is generally characterized by things such as Time Changes (but not like Dream theater crazy) Electronic noises and unheard of crossovers (Such as Black metal and Industrial) I don't listenb to Ulver and I've only ever heard one therion album, so I can't really ahelp you with them specifically. I do know that the therion Album I heard would be considered more in the Symphonic/Operatic metal area.

No sorry, you missed my point. I wasnt saying Therion was Avant Garde, but someone above was caling Ulver Avant Garde, and to me, Ulver is like Therion, because they change style often, of course they are nothing alike, but they amount of genres they have crossed into is insane. So both cannot be Avant Garde.
Avant Garde means experimental, yes, but many bands use experimental techniques in their work, i mean look at Opera IX, they were clearly experimenting with sounds in their first two albums.

My point is, Avant Garde is too vague to be a separate genre, but calling something Avant Garde Prog Metal for example, is a clear defination, and works. Maybe i just have a different opinion over it. Anyway lol.
18.03.2007 - 21:21
Bitch Boy
@ Dark Cornatus: "avantgarde prog" sounds like a contradiction to me but I get your point, maybe avantgarde doom or avantgarde black are more accurate definitions than just "avantgarde". But as I've said, avantgarde metal itself does exist and I think is a very misunderstood genre.
18.03.2007 - 22:17
HauntingNazareth
Account deleted
I'm changing my mind on this. I originally said Black Metal. But I'm gonna bring it one step further and say a band. Try getting into Mercyful Fate, haha. Its not as easy as it sounds.
19.03.2007 - 21:56
Basso
Account deleted
Written by [user id=22086] on 18.03.2007 at 22:17

I'm changing my mind on this. I originally said Black Metal. But I'm gonna bring it one step further and say a band. Try getting into Mercyful Fate, haha. Its not as easy as it sounds.

Mercyful fate is quite easy to get into... Thoose vocals slay everything and the music is just a dark version of heavy metal..

Listening to songs like "Nuns Have No Fun" and "Devil's Eyes" and its impossible to not love them, so damn catchy.
19.03.2007 - 22:44
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
I would say black metal or death metal for me, I love the instrumental sounds but it took me months to get used to that fricken growling lol. I guess doom metal, progressive metal and all those styles too. Those are hard to get into simply because they are very strange in their own ways.
20.03.2007 - 18:04
HauntingNazareth
Account deleted
Written by [user id=5394] on 19.03.2007 at 21:56

Written by [user id=22086] on 18.03.2007 at 22:17

Mercyful fate is quite easy to get into... Thoose vocals slay everything and the music is just a dark version of heavy metal..

Listening to songs like "Nuns Have No Fun" and "Devil's Eyes" and its impossible to not love them, so damn catchy.

I know, I love the vocals. But its because its kind of slow tempo. So its harder for me to get into it.
20.03.2007 - 22:57
enclave
Account deleted
What a fuck is going on on this forum?I'm new so....:noidea:
21.03.2007 - 01:20
buki of steel
Crystal Ann
mine is black metal. i tried but no help... hate it
22.03.2007 - 07:07
Ocarina654
Account deleted
I've always found the more brutal stuff like Death and Black Metal hardest to get into. I think its just the overwhelming crunching feeling and the vocals always turned me off.

Except I'm beginning to like harsher vocals now. Opeth and Bal-Sagoth are two of my favorite bands, for example. Still, theres some stuff I listen to that I still can't stand. Grindcore, some Death Metal, some Black Metal.

And on the subject of Doom and Drone Doom... at first I stayed away from Doom Metal because I figured that Death Metal = Black Metal = Doom Metal and I didn't really like Death so I stayed away. Once my eyes were opened a bit more and I actually listened to Doom and I love it. Recently started listening to Drone and I like that too. Once I got to the point where I was actually trying out more bands in that style I jumped right in.
23.03.2007 - 13:38
Eight
Shapeshifter
Quote:

I know what you mean man... black metal and me are like the same magnet sides

Quote:
What a fuck is going on on this forum?I'm new so....

Try reading for a start
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
23.03.2007 - 13:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=22499] on 20.03.2007 at 22:57

What a fuck is going on on this forum?I'm new so....:noidea:

This is not wrigt place to ask it and read a faq
[url] http://www.metalstorm.ee/home/faq.php[/url]
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.03.2007 - 14:18
Judas
The Amputator
I can't stand Gore Death Metal and Grind whatsoever, and a lot of Doom and Prog is wasted on me, I don't have that kind of patience. Having said that, I love epics from Power, Folk/Viking and Black Metal bands, and there are some bands from the Doom and Prog areas that I do enjoy, just not as many as from other genres.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
23.03.2007 - 15:56
Anathemani@c
As Judas said, I cannot stand gore death metal.. But this topic has nothing to do with our likings or the genres we cannot stand.. Anyway, I think black metal is the most difficult genre to get into, and then deathcore, grind etc are too difficult genres too
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
24.03.2007 - 08:18
nana.MD
Star-Queen
hmm...i think it would be death...specially technical death metal...it's not that easy to understand, like and get into...imo it's great but i've noticed most metalheads i know don't...shame, really...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
24.03.2007 - 10:07
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Written by buki of steel on 21.03.2007 at 01:20

Its ok that you find BM very difficult to get into .... but i have no idea why you hate it !!

Not liking any genre and hating it is two different thing isnt ?? But what i think is if someone like Extreme metal , no matter what he/she will enjoy black metal.
24.03.2007 - 10:33
iaberis
Advice Troll
I'll vote too for Death Metal. You have to be long in the scene so you can actually accept the rough vocals and growls. When I got into metal, I despised it, but as more and more time passes, I'm becoming more friendly to the idea... But I still dislike it
----
Bitch! Please
24.03.2007 - 13:24
buki of steel
Crystal Ann
Written by Hembrom on 24.03.2007 at 10:07

Written by buki of steel on 21.03.2007 at 01:20

Its ok that you find BM very difficult to get into .... but i have no idea why you hate it !!

Not liking any genre and hating it is two different thing isnt ?? But what i think is if someone like Extreme metal , no matter what he/she will enjoy black metal.

i just put "hate it" that my post look longer
well,i like extreme metal but not black metal and still dont know why but hey... thrash till death!!!!