Metal Storm logo
Finntroll vs Korpiklaani

Original post

Posted by Robstar, 14.04.2007 - 03:20
A battle of Vikings... a battle of folk ... I must say Finntroll because their speed and almost drunken metal encouter with folk...
Roar back ...
21.10.2007 - 02:29
necrovamp
Korpiklaani, fintroll are good but just boring, and certanitlly not as good a band to drink to. plus koriklaani ARE folk metal, not just metal with folk bits played on a keyboard. they actully use proper instrumentalists, HAPPY LITTLE BOOZER!
----
'I'd rather die than go to heaven' - Murderface
06.02.2008 - 20:51
Obi
Account deleted
finntroll is more enjoyable. korpiklaani gets annoying after listening more than 3 times. good live band though.
07.02.2008 - 21:54
Lothroniell
Account deleted
Fintroll
07.02.2008 - 22:25
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
I agree that Korpiklaani is a great band and I enjoyed their latest album much more than Finntroll's new one. Both good, but Korpiklaani gets my vote.
10.02.2008 - 08:26
winter song
Account deleted
i like to drink to korpiklaani more but finntroll is just so great but i think korpiklaani wins out. Y is this not a poll???
11.02.2008 - 00:26
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
ive heard a bit of korpiklaani but i never really gave finntroll muich go, i think i might have to now
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
11.02.2008 - 16:49
Abattoir
Staff
Well, it is quite similar staff, music if you compare these two bands...so I wouldn't give priority to no one...
11.02.2008 - 18:34
Stigma
Account deleted
"A battle of Vikings"? They're not that viking to me. Hard decision here, hmm. Let's say Finntroll, because Korpiklaani's humppa tends to blow my head off if I listen it too much.
11.02.2008 - 22:12
Ascalon
I like them both, but I preffer Korpiklaani songs.
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
14.02.2008 - 00:39
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Korpiklaani, what other metal band makes you want to dance like a hobbit.
----
Coldgrits
26.02.2008 - 14:21
NOИ
I was listening to Korpiklaani till their second album. Finntroll's Jaktens Tid is my favourite album. I don't know if their last Ur Jordens Djup is something like that or maybe better, haven't heard it yet.
01.03.2008 - 02:50
Daniel
Theyre both awesome.

Korpiklaani are good when your drunk.

& Finntroll are good when your pretending to be a viking or something. .. . .

Argh! I'll go with Finntroll.
----
In The Cold Winds of Nowhere
01.03.2008 - 16:11
VPeter
I fail to see why people vote for Korpiklaani over Finntroll, only if you like drinking songs then I understand. but Korpiklaani is making the same stuff over and over again, the first album at least had some variety.
10.05.2008 - 12:16
Janne
Hugin
Korpiklaani because it's the No1 in folk metal! Fintroll is only the 3rd after Ensiferum. but both bands are in my favourite 10.
----

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
12.05.2008 - 22:57
Gordon Freeman
It's all subject to opinion...

I'd have to go with Korpiklaani because they have a more raw folk sound than Finntroll...which just works for me.

Both good bands though.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
03.01.2009 - 15:51
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Damn, that's a very difficult poll, since I love both bands...
Finntroll are incredible. I don't know any other band that mixes black metal with polka like that. Songs like En Maktig Har include both bouncy happiness and dark trollish atmosphere and it's awesome.
Korpiklaani has one of the most guenuine sounds in folk metal, since they don't use keyboards, only real traditionnal instruments like shaman drums, violins and so on. They generally are a more happy band then Finntroll and songs like Beer Beer and Let's Drink could be played in a drinking competition or maybe a sugar cabin...
If I have to vote for one, though, it would be Finntroll. They are much more extreme, the vocalist doesn't get on my nerves like Korpiklaani's, the wicked troll theme appeals to me more than the shaman/polka party one, the guitars and drums are better on Finntroll and Trollhorn from Finntroll is one of the best keyboardists in metal scene. So, Finntroll.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
03.01.2009 - 19:43
Sandarameth
Account deleted
I like korpiklaani more than fintroll..fintroll is sometimes boring..finntroll is metaler than korpiklaani..and..does finntroll sing his song in finnish?? i noticed some difference between korpiklaanis songs language and finntrolls..
03.01.2009 - 21:31
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by [user id=36050] on 03.01.2009 at 19:43

I like korpiklaani more than fintroll..fintroll is sometimes boring..finntroll is metaler than korpiklaani..and..does finntroll sing his song in finnish?? i noticed some difference between korpiklaanis songs language and finntrolls..

Finntroll's lyrics actually are Swedish, even though the band is Finnish. The band claims Swedish sounds "damn trollish". There's also the fact that Finntroll's first vocalist's mother tongue was Swedish (Swedish and Finnish are both official languages in Finland).
----
04.01.2009 - 21:46
Sandarameth
Account deleted
Thanks for note)
04.01.2009 - 21:50
Meh, I'd have to go with Finntroll. Not that Korpiklaani is bad, I've just been a Finntroll fan a lot longer.
----
Burzum did it for the lulz
11.01.2009 - 13:44
EliytresSkogUlv
Account deleted
Well, I'm a violinist and every time i listen to Korpiklaani, i just hear the sound of violin and think about the tableature (i can sing Korpiklaani on violin) so Korpiklaani is for me a source of violin tabs inspiration. Finntroll is more trollish, and I'm a Finntroll fan since their first full album (Middnatens Widunter 1999) so i give the point to Finntroll obviously.
12.01.2009 - 17:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=37065] on 11.01.2009 at 13:44

Well, I'm a violinist and every time i listen to Korpiklaani, i just hear the sound of violin and think about the tableature (i can sing Korpiklaani on violin) so Korpiklaani is for me a source of violin tabs inspiration. Finntroll is more trollish, and I'm a Finntroll fan since their first full album (Middnatens Widunter 1999) so i give the point to Finntroll obviously.

In thet case try Ashes You Leave there's violin to
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.01.2009 - 17:12
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by -DC-002- on 14.02.2008 at 00:39

Candlemass? (At 5:50, pure video is gold though.)
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
14.01.2009 - 20:08
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Actually, I love Candlemass, just not the video's.

That's a liiiiitle off-topic though, in a Folk metal thread.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
15.01.2009 - 01:05
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Lucas on 12.01.2009 at 17:12

per an interview with the band in Decibel magazine following the mag's decision to include "Nightfall" in their Metal Hall of Fame (one album per month gets honored thusly), many of the leading figures in the swedish scene were in that video doing the doom dance, including, apparently, Dead. I guess Messiah nearly bowls him over in one sequence of the video.

... and back to your regularly scheduled thread.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.01.2009 - 01:26
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by Lucas on 12.01.2009 at 17:12

Dance like a hobbit on Candlemass? Isn't that band supposed to be Doom? I personnally think Doom metal is the most boring and suitable for sleep of all metal subgenres and maybe the less "danceable" music of all, but if you say so...
----
15.01.2009 - 06:30
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by necrovamp on 21.10.2007 at 02:29

Korpiklaani, fintroll are good but just boring, and certanitlly not as good a band to drink to.

Yeah, drinking involves no brain cells, you want the song writing to match. Finntroll at least change their sound up from album to album a little bit, more than I can say about Korpiklaani. Korpiklaani just sounds like Lawrence Welk on drugs, but at least Lawrence Welk plays more than 4 notes rearranged from song to song.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
15.01.2009 - 20:09
necrovamp
Written by Doc G. on 15.01.2009 at 06:30

Korpiklaani, fintroll are good but just boring, and certanitlly not as good a band to drink to.

Yeah, drinking involves no brain cells, you want the song writing to match. Finntroll at least change their sound up from album to album a little bit, more than I can say about Korpiklaani. Korpiklaani just sounds like Lawrence Welk on drugs, but at least Lawrence Welk plays more than 4 notes rearranged from song to song.

ok listen to either 'spirit of the forest' of 'or voice of the wildernes' then listen to any of the new albums and then tell me there isnt a change in sound? also korpiklaani are FOLK metal whereas fintroll are just run of the mill screamy metal with folkie rythms and fancy keyboards.
----
15.01.2009 - 21:44
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by necrovamp on 15.01.2009 at 20:09

ok listen to either 'spirit of the forest' of 'or voice of the wildernes' then listen to any of the new albums and then tell me there isnt a change in sound? also korpiklaani are FOLK metal whereas fintroll are just run of the mill screamy metal with folkie rythms and fancy keyboards.

Lol, screamy....you haven't been into metal very long have you?

I own both Spirit Of the Forest and Tales Along this Road (both bought at the same time before I quickly grew tired of the 3 songs copied over and over). After just finishing to listening to newer stuff on the internet, I realize the new stuff is even worse, its the same song writing but with a far more compressed production sound.

Secondly, just take a look at the 'Visor Om Slutet' EP, you can't tell me the songs on that one are just "screamy metal with folkie rhythms and fancy keyboards." Secondly, while comparing the two bands I also realize Finntroll know more than 3 tempos/rhythms to play in.

Besides, even I know how write a Korpiklaani song
1. Start off with your mold
2. Play it in one of the 3 template tempos.
3. Throw in some terrible vocals
4. Write some horrid excuse for lyrics about beer so you can trick people into thinking its anything more than just a sped-up Lawrence Welk.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
16.01.2009 - 16:28
necrovamp
Written by Doc G. on 15.01.2009 at 21:44

Written by necrovamp on 15.01.2009 at 20:09

Lol, screamy....you haven't been into metal very long have you?

I own both Spirit Of the Forest and Tales Along this Road (both bought at the same time before I quickly grew tired of the 3 songs copied over and over). After just finishing to listening to newer stuff on the internet, I realize the new stuff is even worse, its the same song writing but with a far more compressed production sound.

Secondly, just take a look at the 'Visor Om Slutet' EP, you can't tell me the songs on that one are just "screamy metal with folkie rhythms and fancy keyboards." Secondly, while comparing the two bands I also realize Finntroll know more than 3 tempos/rhythms to play in.

Besides, even I know how write a Korpiklaani song
1. Start off with your mold
2. Play it in one of the 3 template tempos.
3. Throw in some terrible vocals
4. Write some horrid excuse for lyrics about beer so you can trick people into thinking its anything more than just a sped-up Lawrence Welk.

lol you obvisouly arn't into real folk music then. try sa dingding (african folk artist) (schelmish - german folk band) or saor patrol (means freedom patrol - scottish folk band)

in response toy our 'i havent been into metal for a while' ive been listening for about 9 years. i still dont think nine years is not long enough but its longer than say 3.
im also very lazy when it comes to putting bands in genres theres so many stupid genres out there i have 2 catergories 'screamy' which includes bands like ensiferum, children of bodum, fintroll and etc and non screamy korpiklaani, blind guardian, edguy. im fed up of calling bands 'blackend brutel power metal with extreme vocals and blues influnees' - i have seen this used before, not ont his site.

i do like fintroll, though i noly recently got into them i only ahve 2 albums will get more.

but i find korpiklaani to be a nicer easier band to lisen to. mainly cus the musc is simple. i admit the singer is quite bad. i only really listen to the 1st 2 albums and korven kunningas.

there arnt that many songs actully about beer about 6 i think, 1 on each album, most of their songs bieng about the land around them.

i also have to say when they played bloodstock alonside fintroll, fintroll were ok but korpiklaani were just soo much better, they ahd a bigger crowd too. though i ahve to admit this was proberly due to the song happy little bozzer that even im fed up with!

i admit korpiklaani songs can sound the same except to the conniseur. i dunno if your a fan of ac dc but their songs are the same and hardley anyone cares.

sorry if you cant read the post, im slightly drunk and its making me not spell right.

at the end of the day i prefer listening to korpiklaani over fintroll but i do like fintroll every now and again.
----