Metal Storm logo
Most influential metal female

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 12.07.2007 - 21:30
i want to know which female in metal everyone thinks did the most for the genre they cover... i tried to find a thread like this, but couldnt, i hope this isnt a double. i find it realllllly odd that noone ever mentions Rachel Heyzer, who was in sinister and occult. i think she really holds her own among the men of the genre (which are of course plentiful)... so what does everyone think? which female did the most, or is the most talented in your opinion, of your favorite genre??
17.07.2007 - 05:54
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Perhaps it is because I do not listen to any metal band's fronted by a female vocalist, but it doesn't really seem like any big impression has been made. Even my wife who is a fan of a large diversity of music, everything from Bauhaus, Tori Amos, Johnny Cash, Einherjer, Ani Difranco, The Misfit's, New Order and so on, doesn't care for metal female vocalist's, as she thinks that the harsh vocal type, and growl's are best left to male's.. yet she does like one older Nightwish album, but that is because the woman they had as the singer had very good operatic vocal techniques.

If anything, I think the most prominent female figures in rock music are Janis Joplin and L7, but there are likely other women between the times of those bands that made a differance... Courtney Love is not one of them.

Also, I do not mean to be sexist at all, because I feel the woman that Arch Enemy has does a way better job than the woman from Otep, mostly because the woman from Otep uses a voice modifier.
17.07.2007 - 09:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Bitter Dawn on 17.07.2007 at 05:54

Perhaps it is because I do not listen to any metal band's fronted by a female vocalist, but it doesn't really seem like any big impression has been made. Even my wife who is a fan of a large diversity of music, everything from Bauhaus, Tori Amos, Johnny Cash, Einherjer, Ani Difranco, The Misfit's, New Order and so on, doesn't care for metal female vocalist's, as she thinks that the harsh vocal type, and growl's are best left to male's.. yet she does like one older Nightwish album, but that is because the woman they had as the singer had very good operatic vocal techniques.

If anything, I think the most prominent female figures in rock music are Janis Joplin and L7, but there are likely other women between the times of those bands that made a differance... Courtney Love is not one of them.

Also, I do not mean to be sexist at all, because I feel the woman that Arch Enemy has does a way better job than the woman from Otep, mostly because the woman from Otep uses a voice modifier.

L7 I know band but only one song, IMO its female 'Guns n Roses' or L.A Guns something like that hehhe good band
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.07.2007 - 14:01
Alex Smith
Tarja (Nightwish). Each fifth band in Estonia tries to play this style.
17.07.2007 - 14:04
APOHAKC
The Bard
Each fifth? That is good then, here it is each third
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
17.07.2007 - 14:10
Alex Smith
Written by APOHAKC on 17.07.2007 at 14:04

Each fifth? That is good then, here it is each third

Realy?! Nightwish rocks! Real epidemic!
17.07.2007 - 14:13
APOHAKC
The Bard
Yeah, really. In last few years dozens of bands that sounds like Nightwish appeared, anyway, I can't say is Tarja their main influence, sice 80% of them I don't know personally, but yes, that is that sound
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
17.07.2007 - 14:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Alex Smith on 17.07.2007 at 14:01

Whitch bands please dont count Diversia because its not Tarja's style band
----

17.07.2007 - 15:13
Alex Smith
Written by Bad English on 17.07.2007 at 14:20

No, amigo, I'm not about this one. I mean SilverSun, Inferno, e.t.c.
17.07.2007 - 15:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Alex Smith on 17.07.2007 at 15:13

Written by Bad English on 17.07.2007 at 14:20

No, amigo, I'm not about this one. I mean SilverSun, Inferno, e.t.c.

But I dont pay atantion to those bands I never listen copy bbands I prefere original stuff
----

17.07.2007 - 15:25
Alex Smith
Quote:
But I dont pay atantion to those bands I never listen copy bbands I prefere original stuff

Yeah, I can't understand, in what these bands hope, when it is clearly visible that is simply next clone. One business to take style, an another matter in accuracy to copy a band.
17.07.2007 - 15:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Quote:
Written by Alex Smith on 17.07.2007 at 15:25

Yeah, I can't understand, in what these bands hope, when it is clearly visible that is simply next clone. One business to take style, an another matter in accuracy to copy a band.

3-5 can play simmilar but If there be 300 coppy bands how long tahy will live, thats why survive pioniers of metal
----

17.07.2007 - 15:32
Alex Smith
Quote:
3-5 can play simmilar but If there be 300 coppy bands how long tahy will live, thats why survive pioniers of metal

Yeah, you're right. I am one of the few in Estonia who plays Classical Heavy Metal, but all the same some people criticize that I ostensibly copy Iron Maiden.
23.07.2007 - 17:36
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Tarja Turunen, wanted or not. As my fellows above said, Nightwish's unjustifiable huge popularity created whole batalions of Nightwish-wannabe bands, so, its pretty much an influence, good or bad, but thats the situation.
----
24.07.2007 - 21:05
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Tarja as the most influential? Yeah right...she never influenced girls to pick up instruments and play...think further back in time...
24.07.2007 - 22:33
Ernis
狼獾
All right then....I'm pointing out these singers who are influential not because I like but because of the impression they have left to people in general....Tarja Turunen and Angela Gossow.....Tarja because she rose to fame with Nightwish and also their original sound which was distant from other female fronted bands (back then...now we have lots of female fronted bands which sport Nightwish style)....Angela Gossow is special because of her position and style of singing...I may be mistaking but she surprised people by taking the place of singer in Arch Enemy.....
25.07.2007 - 10:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=2084] on 24.07.2007 at 21:05

Tarja as the most influential? Yeah right...she never influenced girls to pick up instruments and play...think further back in time...

Then can you mention some good female guitarist i was sick when in late mid 90ties ewery abnd pic up female bass guitarist seems now its ower and hope for ewer
----

26.07.2007 - 04:56
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
A lot of good metal guitarists in metal are pretty underground as far as I know...but what about Girlschool? or Heart and the Runaways back in the day...I know some guitarists from bands but they're underground or just not that popular but that doesn't mean that they aren't influential...most influential metal female doesn't mean just vocalists...
26.07.2007 - 05:10
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I'd say Joan Jett, but I don't know if she's considered metal. She's famous as hell and has a unique voice.
26.07.2007 - 09:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=2084] on 26.07.2007 at 04:56

A lot of good metal guitarists in metal are pretty underground as far as I know...but what about Girlschool? or Heart and the Runaways back in the day...I know some guitarists from bands but they're underground or just not that popular but that doesn't mean that they aren't influential...most influential metal female doesn't mean just vocalists...

I know about that ''most influential metal female doesn't mean just vocalists''
about undergound ok, but if i shood think i can not think non ok if you're satsifield hear name Petra Krejcarova then I woud say she are moust influenced in Cz bands like Mythopoeia, Sanity(Svk), and now she signh in new Cz band

Runemagic bass Emma Karlsson ist legendary dearh, dearh/doom abnd so its influenced so heavy in undrgound scene
----

26.07.2007 - 16:35
Hyvaarin
Tarja seems to have influenced and inspired a dickload of singers, it's just that most of them seem artistically worthless. I don't know of many females whose (valuable) influence is very widespread, but I'm compelled to mention Doro Pesch here, if only for the massive amounts of ass she kicks.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
26.07.2007 - 17:26
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
my vote goes to Annike and Doro. Because they are perhaps the most original females in metal. Doro is a pioneer and Annike clearly showed us that females arent just opera singers. Yeah Tarja also influenced many singers, but other than Simone from Epica which Im not a big fan of (After Forever FTW!), the rest are pretty much copy bands with no talent whatsoever.
----
02.08.2007 - 05:45
Judas
The Amputator
I would say the members of Vixen deserve a mention here. Now, people may say that it was just a gimmick, but these American ladies are quite well known and certainly woke many people up to the fact that women had a place in the world of Heavy Metal. This was in the late 80s, well before the current trend of female-fronted bands sweeping across Europe.

I agree with anyone who has mentioned Doro Pesch here as well, I really doubt that we'd have as many female vocalists in today's Metal if she hadn't broken through with Warlock and her own solo project.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
06.09.2007 - 02:05
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Is this a joke? Doro Pesch for god sakes. They dont call her the metal queen for nothing, shes a freaking pioneer as I believe 4look4rd said.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
09.09.2007 - 20:54
Ellie
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 06.09.2007 at 02:05

Is this a joke? Doro Pesch for god sakes. They dont call her the metal queen for nothing, shes a freaking pioneer as I believe 4look4rd said.

I'm glad someone finally said so before me
09.09.2007 - 21:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Vixen man then L7 shood e here more and Vixen is not metal its glam rock man and its not metal, so
----

09.09.2007 - 21:58
vusza
Doro Pesch, without a question, like it or not. And for rock'n'roll - Joan Jett. I can't understand why people wrote Angela Gossow? Cadaveria, Sabina Classen, Lori Bravo etc, etc. were way before her in the extreme music scene.
----
No guts, no glory.
09.09.2007 - 22:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by vusza on 09.09.2007 at 21:58

Doro Pesch, without a question, like it or not. And for rock'n'roll - Joan Jett. I can't understand why people wrote Angela Gossow? Cadaveria, Sabina Classen, Lori Bravo etc, etc. were way before her in the extreme music scene.

Lori Bravo who is she?
----

10.09.2007 - 00:03
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=24489] on 09.09.2007 at 20:54

No problem. I shouldve mentioned Girlschool in there aswell.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
10.09.2007 - 05:39
Ellie
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 10.09.2007 at 00:03

Written by [user id=24489] on 09.09.2007 at 20:54

No problem. I shouldve mentioned Girlschool in there aswell.

Oh ya I was going to in a post..but then I got lazy
10.09.2007 - 14:31
vusza
Lori Bravo - or Laura Bravo was the singer and bassist for death metal pioneers Nuclear Death, formed in 1986. She performed solo later, anyways, she was an inspiration for the "metal females" to come. Lori is often considered one of the first females to use harsh singing style, besides Sabina Classen - she began her career with Satan's Angel in 1982.
Saint Gossow is just more well-known, that's all.
----
No guts, no glory.