Metal Storm logo
Favorite Bassist?

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 04.08.2006 - 07:15
Greg Christian of Testament would be one of my favorites (fast fucker)
then comes Stephan Fimmers of Necrophagist
Cliff Burton..

my top 3..
04.10.2006 - 05:20
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Cliff Burton RIP
John Myung

two of the greatest ever bassists of our time.
influencial, unique, brilliant, new, their awesome in so many different ways.
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
04.10.2006 - 05:38
Mega-Slayer
Another fact to prove that Steve Digorgio is the best,though most may already know,he plays a fretless bass I just found that out yesterday.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
05.10.2006 - 06:43
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Written by Mega-Slayer on 04.10.2006 at 05:38

Another fact to prove that Steve Digorgio is the best,though most may already know,he plays a fretless bass I just found that out yesterday.

A fretless bass???
----
05.10.2006 - 07:00
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by BurbotsRevenge on 05.10.2006 at 06:43

Written by Mega-Slayer on 04.10.2006 at 05:38

A fretless bass???

Yeah, he plays a wicked green, fretless five string.
----
The force will be with you, always.
05.10.2006 - 07:12
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
awesome!!!!

so would that be heaps harder to play than a fretted guitar??

and would you be able to get a wider range of sounds???
----
06.10.2006 - 01:37
Bitch Boy
For me Martin Furängen (Lost Horizon) is the best. Followed by John Myung (Dream Theater), Justin Chancellor (Tool), Steve Harris (Iron Maiden), Cliff Burton (Metallica), Fieldy (Korn), Troy Tipton (Zero Hour) and many others...
06.10.2006 - 04:53
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Bitch Boy on 06.10.2006 at 01:37

Steve Harris (Iron Maiden),

Steve Harris all the way Brother
Nothing like Galloping rythyms and semi-lead like basslines.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
09.10.2006 - 07:00
Mega-Slayer
How about Eric Langlois of Cryptopsy?He is just killer on "None So Vile",I like that all of his notes are easy to make out,listen to his work on the tracks "Benedictine Convulsions","Orgiastic Disembowelment" and "Slit Your Guts ".He actually gets his own solos,how ever short the may be.
----

10.10.2006 - 01:10
Trifixion
Account deleted
Tom Araya for me. Nah he's not the best bassist I know of per se, but he's Tom. And Tom kicks ass. Steve Harris right behind him, and Alex Webster.
10.10.2006 - 01:20
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Markus Grosskpf-Helloween (His solos and the way he play the bass)
Steve Harris-Iron Maiden (Leader of one of my favorite bands)
Glenn Hughes (simply Amazing)
10.10.2006 - 18:05
?Bodomchild?
Steve Harris (he's a awesome song writer and bass player)
Tom Angelripper (my fav bassist and singer)
Felipe Andreoli (powerfull technique)
----
asd
12.10.2006 - 15:46
Sunioj
Theres this one band called aghora from florida, they have an INSANE bassist. Also as a side note for a nu metal band which I dont usually listen to, is ryan from mudvayne, I think he isnt far away from being a steve digorgio.

I noticed that there were people talking about digorgios fretless, If you listen in on individual thought patterns and notice the way the bass lines slide from one note to the other with sucha clean sound, thats whats unique about fretless bass playing.
12.10.2006 - 19:36
Mega-Slayer
Written by Sunioj on 12.10.2006 at 15:46

Theres this one band called aghora from florida, they have an INSANE bassist. Also as a side note for a nu metal band which I dont usually listen to, is ryan from mudvayne, I think he isnt far away from being a steve digorgio.

I noticed that there were people talking about digorgios fretless, If you listen in on individual thought patterns and notice the way the bass lines slide from one note to the other with sucha clean sound, thats whats unique about fretless bass playing.

Now that you mentioned it,it explains the unique bass sound.It would also seem that the bass is easily made out,cuz when I first heard the album,I had never heard such a unique and cool bass.
----

13.10.2006 - 14:53
Vidrageon
Account deleted
I really like Sean Malone, he's a great bassist, and I agree with Aghora's bassist is insane at times. Harris is a great bass player, but I don't really rate him.
04.11.2006 - 10:44
Drizzling Blur
Account deleted
Written by [user id=1279] on 13.10.2006 at 14:53

I really like Sean Malone, he's a great bassist

Totally agree, he is a genius, Gordian Knot is his baby and i love its Work, simply amazing, his post-cynic days brought him more recognition.

Others to be mentioned are

1) Steve DiGiorio - Nomad of Metal
2) Steve Harris - \\m//
3) Bassist of Bloodbath ( forgot the name )
06.11.2006 - 09:20
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Duff McKaggin (guns n roses)
Billy Sheehan (Mr Big)....im not really a mr big fan but billy sheehan is insane.
And of course Steve Harris (i know thats a common answer but theres no argueing with it)
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
09.11.2006 - 12:37
marillionfan
Account deleted
Geddy Lee of Rush; Steve Harris of Iron Maiden; Chris Squire of Yes;Cliff Burton (RIP) of Metallica; Roger Waters of Pink Floyd. And many others... I'll be back.
12.11.2006 - 23:13
Fallen'Angel
----
Im Your Source of Self-Destruction !
13.11.2006 - 06:23
MigraineBoy
From metal I gotta stand for the grat bass players of the florida technical metal era: Tony Choy, Sean Malone, Steve Digorgio and the late Roger Patterson.

And non-metal there's a lot more: Jaco, Geddy, Claypool, Clarke, Patitucci, Wooten and many more!
----
Is only wrong if you don't get it!
29.12.2006 - 19:15
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Freedom from !T.O.O.H.! is really amazing. His style is really awesomeand quite unoque actually. I reccomend to listen to the song Kali if you want to hear him at his best.
29.12.2006 - 19:40
RavenLord
Steve Harris is my first choice. Anyone who doubts his skill needs to listen to 'Blood on the World's Hands', 'Powerslave' and 'Stranger in a Strange Land' (the last two for their interludes), and you'll see that amazing speed isn't anything; 'Arry also has incredibly sensitive songwriting skills. And he's over 50, yet can still give most of the bassists today a run for their money.

David Ellefson of Megadeth also gets my vote, for his incredibly catchy work on songs like 'Peace Sells' and 'The Conjuring'...when the speed was turned down from 11, he could make his presence felt so it would stick in your mind for long afterwards.

Also, Les Claypool, Roger Waters and Geddy Lee all deserve a mention.

Personally, I can never see what everyone's obsession with Cliff Burton is. Yes, the man was a talented songwriter, and he could play his bass well, but I just don't understand all the worship. Dimebag syndrome, I suppose.
----
30.12.2006 - 21:58
Warman
Erotic Stains
Martin Eric Ain from Celtic Frost! He is amazing! When he plays together with Tom Gabriel Fischer (which means one guitar and one bass) it sounds like there is two guitars and a bass! Martin has such a personal touch on his bass lines, he makes you think "damn, is that really bass he's playing?".
----
01.01.2007 - 13:21
dispossessor
Account deleted
Metal--
Roger Patterson- Atheist
Alex Webster- Cannibal Corpse
Sean Malone- Gordian Knot, Cynic
Steve Digorgio- Death, Testament, Iced Earth etc

Non Metal--
Victor Wooten
Jaco Pastorius
Billy Sheehan
04.01.2007 - 01:59
Ultraraw
Account deleted
my favorite bassist is Cliff Burton,the best bessist ever
05.01.2007 - 21:39
DistortedVisual
Account deleted
Cliff Burton
Steve Harris
Shavo Odadjian
Paul Grey
Felipe Andreoli
23.01.2007 - 00:52
Jupiter
Account deleted
Steve Harris definitely. Awesome bassist AND songwriter
25.01.2007 - 11:48
arwestromen
the only bassist i know by the name is Steve Harris (Iron Maiden) Great Bassist.
but I also like the guy in Metallica (not the old one).
I like bassist who plays with their fingers not with pics
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
25.01.2007 - 12:07
APOHAKC
The Bard
For me Steve Harris is number one, I really like his rhytms and his bass harmonies which gives great rhytm to the songs, I also admire Dave Elefson from Megadeth because he is also fenomenal, I like his wierd parts in many songs (exp. Peace Sells...), especially on Killing is my Business album and Peace Sells.
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
25.01.2007 - 19:09
Mega-Slayer
I never really apprecited Dave Elefson's bass playing,till I started listening to Megadeth once agian.He has some really prominent work on their debut,and songs off Peace Sells... like "Wake Up Dead"and"Peace Sells".Then there is "Rust In Peace" full of great bass lines,like "Dawn Patrol",which is only bass.
----

25.01.2007 - 19:23
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by Mega-Slayer on 25.01.2007 at 19:09

I never really apprecited Dave Elefson's bass playing,till I started listening to Megadeth once agian.He has some really prominent work on their debut,and songs off Peace Sells... like "Wake Up Dead"and"Peace Sells".Then there is "Rust In Peace" full of great bass lines,like "Dawn Patrol",which is only bass.

Yes, same thing with me, when I firstly listened Megadeth, it was long long time ago, I never think that Dave is some good bass player but I was even more stupid kid than now After some time I've noticed many bass lines I never heard before, than I wanted to listen all Megadeth album but I tryed to listen only bass, after many re-listening I notices all little bass notes and many Dave's great harmonies, after that I started to like Dave more than Cliff, Jason and all other players, of cause Steve will stay number one forever, I also like many Hard Rock bassist and I bought my first bass, I sold my Sony Playstation and buy some junk, I still keep that old bass and I will never sell it, like anyone would want to buy that crap
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!