Metal Storm logo
Stratovarius vs Sonata Arctica

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 18.07.2007 - 21:30
Duel between the two biggest exponents of Melodic Power Metal.

Stratovarius had a longer journey, but Sonata Arctica in so little time had demonstrated to be one of the best bands of the Finnish Power Metal. Stratovarius with Fourth Dimension demonstrated to be the angular stone of the Melodic Power Metal and It reach the top with Visions in 97. In 99 appears Sonata Arctica with Ecliptica, one of the albums more important in this style.

What do you think ?

Poll

Which do you Prefer ?

Stratovarius
Sonata Arctica

Total votes: 244
15.11.2007 - 08:46
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
i voted sonata arctica, becaust stratovarius has never really appealed to me, unlike sonata arctica, who have dramatically, especially their album ecliptica...
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
04.12.2007 - 02:06
EddieGunner
Valkoinen kuolem
sonta is band i like more, and i more listen them
----
On pirun vaikea selvitä hengissä hautaan saakka
It is damn difficult to stay alive till the grave
Erno Paasilinna
:devil:
06.12.2007 - 01:43
ArcanaHereticae
Written by BurbotsRevenge on 15.11.2007 at 08:46

i voted sonata arctica, becaust stratovarius has never really appealed to me, unlike sonata arctica, who have dramatically, especially their album ecliptica...

I voted for Sonata Arctica as well, mainly for Ecliptica. The song Blank File is not only a great album opener, it is just fucking powerful in every way possible.
----
The nectar ov Thy rage,
I taste from the cup ov fornication.
And woman by my side,
And scarlet is her skin.
She's eager to rise,
And so eager to please.
06.12.2007 - 19:42
Keoren
Account deleted
I don't really care about comparing the two. In my eyes, Sonata Arctica has never truly fit the Strato-copycat image. But if you insist, I say SA is Strato done right as I find them to be better in nearly every aspect. I won't deny the influence of Stratovarius, but the importance or famousness of a band isn't a factor for me when deciding what I enjoy, and I must indeed admit them getting quite annoying fast. Still, Strato too has a handful of songs I can find myself enjoying.
24.01.2008 - 08:13
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Stratovarius came first, so my vote goes for them...and i hate sonata Arctica!!!!
24.01.2008 - 14:51
Warman
Erotic Stains
Somehow have Stratovarius music never appealed to me. Sonata Arctica on the other hand has always used that keyboard sound I'm such a sucker for, their music is also so catchy and makes me happy.
----
24.01.2008 - 21:29
joaquin
comon thers no question for that its stratovarius
----
courage to chage the things and wisdom to know the difference

real gamers never die, they just respawn
25.01.2008 - 02:17
Ascalon
Stratovarius ... yesterday ... today ... and always ...
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
25.01.2008 - 06:10
Son of Odin
2 good bands..but I voted for Sonata Arctica, much because of their 2 first albums that are fantastic music.
----
METAL UNITES US ALL!
25.01.2008 - 06:31
Uller
both great bands in the begining, now with unia and stratovarius........ oh man!
----
25.01.2008 - 18:56
Darkest Hour
Stratovarius! Sonata is just to much...
25.01.2008 - 20:50
deadset61
Account deleted
I like Sonata Arctica more because Stratovarius didn't really impress me that much.
26.01.2008 - 03:59
VPeter
Stratovarius used to be a cool power metal band but there quality started dropped with the years and then Sonata Arctica was born, who took stratovarius's type of power metal and raised it up to a new level. so my choice is Sonata Arctica.
26.01.2008 - 17:46
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
oh.. for sure two great bands. I prefer stratovarius, since they have more ''energy'' and speed mixed with the melody, and they use different themes on the lyrics, like metaphysics, about time, the world, the soul, elements, time etc.
I like sonata too... but... the lyrics are a little annoying in most of the songs. Always about how ''someone'' was cheated in his relashionship infinite times (música de corno), or.... about wolves. And thats it. But their sound is great, more melancholyc, good to listen in some hard times.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
18.06.2008 - 17:26
floydiac
Stratovarius remians my favourite...the Episode, Visions and Destiny albums were triumphs of power metal. Yeah, they have dropped off in recent years, however looking at the band in their prime...

Tolkki is gone now anyway...the man is a brilliant guitarist and a very very good composer, however I think he tried to make stratovarius far too neoclassical, and it seemed to leave power metal behind somewhat.
I look forward to seeing what Stratovarius release next.
----
!WARNING! May talk shit !WARNING!
18.06.2008 - 21:47
Freezer
obviously Stratovarius, probably the best "keyboardish" power metal band ever
@floydiac: Tolkki (practically the mind of the band) left the band during the last months, so I guess the eventual next releases should not be considered "Stratovarius" albums
----
We fly through this godless endeavor, we try to explain the black forever
22.06.2008 - 05:04
The Sleeper
Written by floydiac on 18.06.2008 at 17:26

Stratovarius remians my favourite...the Episode, Visions and Destiny albums were triumphs of power metal. Yeah, they have dropped off in recent years, however looking at the band in their prime...

voted stratovarius.. i think they gave somewhat more to power metal than SA (still great band 2)
----
"If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love."
Bohdi - Point Break, 1991
24.06.2008 - 13:13
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
I like them both, but still I have to say Sonata Arctica. Stratovarius was good some years ago, but then the whole thing became kind of old and worn out. They didn't have the same creativity anymore. Sonata is still trying new things, as we can hear from the latest Unia-album. Besides, I enjoyed Sonata's gig more than the Stratovarius gig.
----
You'll never walk alone.
28.06.2008 - 01:20
Shinigamy
Account deleted
I voted for Sonata. Stratovarius (was) a realy great band, but the only thing that forced me to listen strato was Jens Johannson on keyboards... On the other way, in Sonata, Tonny, Henka, And Janni (ex) totaly blow my mind... Tony's powerfull voice, jani's guitar skill that are too great, and Henka's powerfull keyboard solo's. O and i forgot that Sonata helped me in love So Sonata have more future than Old school Strato
04.07.2008 - 21:52
floydiac
Written by Freezer on 18.06.2008 at 21:47

obviously Stratovarius, probably the best "keyboardish" power metal band ever
@floydiac: Tolkki (practically the mind of the band) left the band during the last months, so I guess the eventual next releases should not be considered "Stratovarius" albums

I am not sure...I would wait to hear it first. Don't forget that some really good Strato songs are not Tollki songs...only time will tell. I cannot say either way at this stage,
----
!WARNING! May talk shit !WARNING!
05.07.2008 - 03:32
thvnderforge
I voted for Stratovarius because Sonata has great music but they talk about love too much and their riffs get really old and redundant in my eyes. Stratovarius are pioneers of melodic power metal and should get greater recognition for thier work because they influenced so many other power metal bands, including Sonata, while producing music of their own unique style. A better pole would have been, hwo were greatre pioneers of melodic power metal:Stratovarius or Helloween? Also i resently this year sawSonata in concert and their opening band Myopia got the Crowed just as hyped up as Sonata. In my eyes Stratovarius is a better band than SOnata will ever be even though they broke up and i enjoy both their music. Stratovarius's best album in my eyes is Infinte.
10.07.2008 - 19:46
Oskmrgo83
Oskmrgo83
My vote was for Stratovarius. I have heard all their albums n' I enjoy to listen to them a lot. Sonata Arctica is a great band too, but Stratovarius made history with their music. So, they're history now, but their music is alive.
----
Now it's time to... rock!!!!!
18.07.2008 - 03:03
JackMetal
Account deleted
I have to go with Sonata Arctica. It's a tough call for me because i love them both so much (i'm a sucker for badass melodies and tasty jams)......but sonata arctica is just way more powerful for me.
28.08.2008 - 03:01
Iron Priest
I always liked Stratovarius more. They were also one of the bands that got me into power metal. That being said a recent look into my iTunes library I noticed SA has more songs fived starred.
28.08.2008 - 07:45
Oracle
Orcinus
I like both of these bands but i much prefer stratovarius. I just find that Sonata arctica are so wanky now lol
28.08.2008 - 12:47
Sostoa
Well, I really like both, but I decided to vote for Stratovarius.

I've seen both live a few times and I still think Sonata doens't really make a good show, they don't sound as I'd like too. And about I have to admit that a few years ago they show was one of the worst I've ever seen, the sound was horrible and it was like if they weren't enjoying it. Of course, it was just before the decided to part ways for the first time. Anyway, after that I saw them together with Hammerfall and I think it was the best Stratovarius show ever.

And what about CD-s. Well Episode and Visions were really explendid, but Ecliptica is still one of my favourite albums. Anyway, the last ones, both Stratovarius and mostly Unia, arent't exactly what I was expecting from them.
21.10.2008 - 17:19
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Sonata Arctica for me!!!!
10.12.2008 - 22:22
Silent_wolfer
Damn! Two of the greatest power metal bands i've ever heard, yet it's very hard to pick one but for me i vote....Sonata arctica, cause they we're the first band to get me in to power metal.
31.12.2008 - 13:11
Lombjeff
Stratovarius!
sonata arctica have done only one great album in my opinion (ecliptica)
08.01.2009 - 00:50
WiSaM
Account deleted
Each album of Stratovarius has something special, so i go for them.