Metal Storm logo
New Album Recommendations 2016

Original post

Posted by Alex F, 21.11.2015 - 21:19
I already have quite a few albums to look forward to in 2016, so I figured we'd go ahead and get this thread started. The two so far are the upcoming Ctheilist and Lycus albums. Ctheilist embody all that is great with strange Lovecraftian death metal, while Lycus are an incredibly solid funeral doom outfit.

08.11.2016 - 03:54
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Death/Thrash from Australia that heavily resembles groove metal. Very bog standard stuff musically but that cover is something truly epic. Would've been much better off used for something else entirely.

The Loom Of Time - NihilReich

08.11.2016 - 05:02
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by ZÖN on 07.11.2016 at 22:38

I've just been calling Tepeu progressive/experimental black metal. The guys over at the metal archives don't think it's metal because they listened to three minutes and didn't hear any. That's kinda whack though, like, I got intros. Punk asses.

Lol whatever. I had more of a Negura Bunget sound in mind before starting, with more folk stuff, but went deeper down into the avant-garde. The lyrics are excerpts from the Popol Vuh (not like you can make them out though ha) and I guess it would kinda be a concept album about the Mayan genesis.

That is some really fresh sounding black metal. As many people have said, the electronic/noise-oriented production gives your music a real unique edge to it. Have just started listening to it but its really good. I was impressed by your work long back when I checked out that "Dandelions and Moss" track on youtube, definitely sounded good. Scourged through some Trouble Salad stuff on bc and thats fantastic as well. Keep up the good work dude.
08.11.2016 - 18:06
Risto
Wandering Midget

I've just been calling Tepeu progressive/experimental black metal. The guys over at the metal archives don't think it's metal because they listened to three minutes and didn't hear any. That's kinda whack though, like, I got intros. Punk asses.

Can't hear any metal in that, sorry. Maybe it just sounds so muffled it doesn't cut through, haha. I'm not surprised they rejected the submission.
09.11.2016 - 00:08
ZÖN
Written by 3rdWorld on 08.11.2016 at 05:02

Lol whatever. I had more of a Negura Bunget sound in mind before starting, with more folk stuff, but went deeper down into the avant-garde. The lyrics are excerpts from the Popol Vuh (not like you can make them out though ha) and I guess it would kinda be a concept album about the Mayan genesis.

That is some really fresh sounding black metal. As many people have said, the electronic/noise-oriented production gives your music a real unique edge to it. Have just started listening to it but its really good. I was impressed by your work long back when I checked out that "Dandelions and Moss" track on youtube, definitely sounded good. Scourged through some Trouble Salad stuff on bc and thats fantastic as well. Keep up the good work dude.

I forgot about that track. I should redo it. Thanks, also
----
http://www.last.fm/user/templeruins

https://ququmatz.bandcamp.com/releases Progressive/experimental black metal
https://znmusic.bandcamp.com/ Avant-garde drone metal, ambient, noise
https://noosefiller.bandcamp.com/ Experimental raw black metal/noise
09.11.2016 - 02:23
mz
Nice low-fi black metal. Love the noisy edge that production gives to the overal sound. Overlapping layers give an almost psychedelic vibe to it.
Acheri-"Doppelgeist" rehearsal

sludge/death/doom from Belgium:

OLDDWVRMS- Ritae

----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
09.11.2016 - 05:37
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Quite a bit raw and harsh sounding Industrial-like djent from Oxford, UK. Vocals might put a lot of people away though.

[4672] - [paradox] v1​.​0

French Deathened black metal. Fitting raw production too.

Vurvarat - Vurvarat

Some massive sounding suicidal/atmospheric black metal from France. Above par compared to all the atrocities circulating around with the atmoblack tag.

Time Lurker - I

09.11.2016 - 06:03
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Retro epic doom from UK. Among the best demos I've heard all year. Top notch vocals really. A full length should very much be encouraged. The guy behind this, Simon Matravers seems to be an ex-vocalist of a epic doom metal band called Solistice. Haven't heard them myself but will check it out soon.

Matravian - Arcadian Rhymes

09.11.2016 - 06:23
3rdWorld
China was a neat
"Ravage Ritual was formed 2011 in Seinäjoki, Finland. After a few smaller releases and the first full-length Soul Eater, this year will mark the release of their second full-length, entitled Higher Power.

Influenced by bands like Integrity, Kickback, Arkangel, and Bolt Thrower, Higher Power forms a coalition of pure negative energy and northern darkness.

Higher Power is limited to 500 copies, with 200 on White vinyl and 300 copies on Black vinyl, all packed in a gatefold sleeve with a lyric sheet. This is a split release between us, Sell Your Soul Records and Unquiet Records. All copies come with a digital download.

FFO: Integrity, Rot In Hell, Unholy Majesty, Pale Creation, Kickback, Arkangel, Bolt Thrower

Recorded by Lord Mortula at Pappila, Ylistaro
Mixed and mastered by Arttu Hakanen
Artwork and layout by Razoreater. "

Sounds quite good tbh, metallic death/hardcore or something like that.

Ravage Ritual - Higher Power

09.11.2016 - 19:50
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Tbh I only called it "deathened" as their own tag in bandcamp put it in my mind, even while listening to the initial tracks I figured there isn't a heavy death leaning in it, also only slightly if any. Serious stuff indeed, definitely knew people here would like it.
10.11.2016 - 05:38
3rdWorld
China was a neat
New Behold The Arctopus full length studio album.

Behold The Arctopus - Cognitive Emancipation

10.11.2016 - 05:40
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Some greek black metal record.

Apognosis - Phase 6

10.11.2016 - 19:43
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Woah, this sounds like some good Ambient post metal. Supposedly made by a Dutch writer and background music composer/art festival music director called Roelof Broekman. Art is kinda sweet too, looks like an actual photograph.

Hesperus - Crepuscular Rays

10.11.2016 - 20:03
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Depressive ambient black metal with ritualistic elements. Sounds somewhat interesting really.

Arkhaeon - Beyond

10.11.2016 - 20:55
3rdWorld
China was a neat
New thing on Xtreem Music. Best pure thrash I've heard all year. Really bassy, old school and with slight death influences too. Million times better than the stuff recently being labelled revivalist. The vocals are so good dayum, the last track is so Motorhead-y.

Aggression(CAN) - Fragmented Spirit Devils

11.11.2016 - 13:48
3rdWorld
China was a neat
New Wadge album, very hardcore and noise oriented Grind. They released the debut album on Grindcore Karaoke online label which for you ignorant fucks is J.Randall Hayes' own label.

Wadge - The End Of Ethnology

11.11.2016 - 14:44
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Nice crusty sounding Death doom.

East Sherman - Split With Stoic

11.11.2016 - 19:11
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Excellent black metal from Italy. Cavernous sound and swirling musicianship, with doomy and evil atmosphere. Seems somewhat dissonant but not in your standard modern black metal way. They seem very eager to make us understand that vocals are by a woman. Vocals are pretty excellent though regardless.

11.11.2016 - 19:43
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Sludge doom from Australia.

Ivan - Aeons Collapse

12.11.2016 - 03:31
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Slightly death-influenced melodic atmospheric black metal.

Chronaexus - Outreach From A Withered Hand

13.11.2016 - 12:03
3rdWorld
China was a neat
New De Magia Veterum track.

EDIT: Shit, the track is removed now, WTF.
14.11.2016 - 04:35
3rdWorld
China was a neat
14.11.2016 - 06:39
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Industrial black metal, slightly drony/noisy/dark ambient-y for lake of better words. I like it.

Witch's Heart - Life During The End Times

16.11.2016 - 05:55
3rdWorld
China was a neat
This is some rather nice stoner/doom-ish post-rock. Quite fuzzy and slightly psychedelic. Has little metal in it but still quite good with nice female vocals.

Zun - Burial Sunrise

Very solid occult-ish doom from Germany.

Albez Duz - Wings Of Tzinacan

16.11.2016 - 07:10
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Insane riffage here. Fucking awesome stoner rock/doom. Vocals are very punk-ish and really top notch fun.

Witches Of God - They Came To Kill

16.11.2016 - 07:56
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Swedish doom. Heavy on riffs and low on bullshit melodies or cheesiness, solid stuff. Actually remember this was on BC for quite sometime now but listened to this only now.

Domkraft - The End Of Electricity

17.11.2016 - 18:02
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Rather stunningly good blackened death, or deathy black perhaps. Rather psychedelic at times and also with the odd Gregorian chant.

Looks like this was already posted. Must have searched in the wrong box.
17.11.2016 - 19:20
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Lel it was me and yeah thats a really tasty album.

Alright then, here's some very noisy-wall of sound, raw atmospheric black metal from Canada. Sounds good to me. Will be out on Dec 31, 2016. Looks like a damn good way to end this year!

La Torture Des Ténèbres - Civilization Is The Tomb Of Our Noble Gods

17.11.2016 - 21:13
3rdWorld
China was a neat
German black metal featuring members of Planks, Goldust, Ghostrider and Atka, among others. Kinda some gaze influence is present too but still very black metal.

Ultha - Converging Sins

18.11.2016 - 19:28
3rdWorld
China was a neat
They have a handful of tags there in BC but this sounds just like good old speed/thrash to me. Originally released by Chilean label Ancestral records on tape on July 31st, 2016. Now digitally released by Doomentia records.

Evil Madness/Infant Death - Evil Madness / Infant Death [Split]

18.11.2016 - 19:53
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Doom from Germany. Vocals are really good and slightly Warning-like to my ears.

Cross Vault - Miles To Take EP