Metal Storm logo
New Album Recommendations 2016

Original post

Posted by Alex F, 21.11.2015 - 21:19
I already have quite a few albums to look forward to in 2016, so I figured we'd go ahead and get this thread started. The two so far are the upcoming Ctheilist and Lycus albums. Ctheilist embody all that is great with strange Lovecraftian death metal, while Lycus are an incredibly solid funeral doom outfit.

29.11.2016 - 08:57
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Good thrash metal coming from Florida. At least they manage to come up with a record which strip offs 90% of menacingly below standard thrash releases out of the chart.

29.11.2016 - 10:24
no one
Account deleted
Written by 3rdWorld on 29.11.2016 at 07:11

From the guys that brought you Oaks of brothel. Ta-da! GROK! Nothing steaming yet so go away and come back here on December 16th.

Grok - A Spineless Descent

I'm watching the clock
30.11.2016 - 00:45
Paz
Elite
This could be the best BM thing this year. Belive me or not.

30.11.2016 - 01:32
mz
^^ indeed it is great. Was surprised how no one had noticed it already here on MS :p
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
30.11.2016 - 04:08
no one
Account deleted
Written by mz on 30.11.2016 at 01:32

^^ indeed it is great. Was surprised how no one had noticed it already here on MS :p

I'm sure it's already been posted, or it's been posted somewhere
30.11.2016 - 08:08
Paz
Elite

Was surprised how no one had noticed it already here on MS :p

Haha, true
30.11.2016 - 13:32
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Never heard of it I don't think. Definitely sounds good though. Those penetrating and eerie melodies are great.
30.11.2016 - 13:57
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by [user id=136611] on 30.11.2016 at 04:08

I'm sure it's already been posted, or it's been posted somewhere

Yeah, I think it was mz who posted. But it wasn't released back then, it had only the cover available to look at on the bc.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
30.11.2016 - 15:50
Paz
Elite
Written by Karlabos on 30.11.2016 at 13:57

Yeah, I think it was mz who posted.

You are right.

Written by mz on 23.09.2016 at 18:43

Some nice BM:

I should have checked his recs...
30.11.2016 - 23:34
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Another record by NekRock. Basically the full album containing the song mz posted in the sb the other day, with 6 tracks.
Despite the cover art it's very good avantgarde electronic ambient black metal with some sudden chiptune moments.
Whoever listened to Fullmoon Bongzai and liked it should definitely check this one.

NekRock - 愛
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
01.12.2016 - 20:32
Paz
Elite
Atmospheric black metal from Cambridgeshire with drone elements. Only one song is available thus far, but it's almost 20 minutes of music.

01.12.2016 - 20:59
Paz
Elite
Written by 3rdWorld on 26.11.2016 at 20:11

Some death/black thing from Australia. Self labelled as some bedroom project but wasn't sound as shitty as I was expecting it to be. Skimmed a few tracks and it sounds decent really. Also really love that cover.

Convulsing - Errata

Great stuff, and yet another band which incorporates the sound from Ulcerate.
02.12.2016 - 05:14
nevi464
Not exactly an album, but check out this bands E.P

Nu-Hardcore from NORCAL

https://kaidanca.bandcamp.com/album/syndicate
03.12.2016 - 17:37
CarvetiiProd
DENIGRATA (UK Black Metal w/ Industrial/Grind/Classical Influences)
'Missa Defunctorum: Requiem Mass in A minor' (The debut album now re-released on cassette, lyrics entirely in Latin'

Order: http://carvetiiproductions.bigcartel.com/product/denigrata-missa-defunctorum-requiem-mass-in-a-minor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVr0rbXk25Y
----
CARVETII PRODUCTIONS - UK Cassette Label & Distro.
Link: http://carvetiiproductions.bigcartel.com/
04.12.2016 - 01:30
mz
Dont know what exactly I should call this. It is a collection of songs, and each song is also hard to throw a tag on. Like sludge metal with industrial and post punkish accent into it and bits of psychedelia here and there.

DROUGHT YEAR: "ALL SYMBOLS ARE SWASTIKAS"

polish psychedelic post punk:

https://lavidaesunmus.bandcamp.com/album/s-t-lp-4

nice USBM:

Oskoreien- All Too Human

some crazy and dumb sounding avant death metal. I sounds as if Pyrrhon wanted to do something fun:

Michel Anoia - PLETHORA

there is also this utterly dumb video :

Also one more album that is a bit hard to catagorize exactly. Like blackend death 'n' roll/thrash. Also polish @ Paz

MROME -Noetic Collision on the Roof of Hell

Filthy death metal. One of the better records of this sort this year. The cover reminds me of a certain album from DsO
Mylingar-Döda Vägar

Meshuggah meets gorguts for some instrumental mind fuck:

Teramobil-Magnitude of Thoughts

----
04.12.2016 - 14:28
mz
I think I had recommended this already, but since I cant find it, am posting it again here. Psychedelic black metal/ noise/ drone. One of the best things BM this year.

Vvltvs- Neerval

They/he also had multiple other records this year, which I also posted one of them before. This one sounds more like a blackend ambient/noise record. Great sruff:

PKWST- IV

This sample from an split is also satisfyingly monsterous
link

Some nice DSBM:
Wraithe- Submerged In Total Darkness

Black metal from Georgia. Not as clownish as what one thinks based on the bandname:

Project Omega- Regno Della Morta Gente

Blackend avantgarde/ mathcore/noise/jazz record which is also seemingly improvised. Crazy and headache inducing. It is a bit too rough around the edges and the final product could be a bit more refined. Still a great record I would say, and one the most challenging albums of this year.

Those Darn Gnomes- The Zodiac

So this band that Joe posted one track from their album have the whole thing streaming now. Very nice progressive death metal with good emphasize on the atmoshpher:

Eternal Deformity-No Way Out

Post black metal generally bores me, but this one is good enough. Nice and diverse, and there's a track named xasthur, if that matters.

Ultar-Kadath

some dumb sounding industrial video game metal. Could be really a top 20 of the year if it was not so sort:

TRSB- Succ My Dicc 3

many other records for this year also streaming:
bandcamp
----
04.12.2016 - 14:57
mz
Nicely done progressive deathend black from Poland. Good to see clean vocals in extreme metal that does not sound ridicules. They manage to juxtapose chaotic black metal parts with clean and calm sections in a nice vay. Solos are also nice.
MISANTHROPIC RAGE- Gates No Longer Shut

Great drone/noise/industrial record. Hardly any metal into it, but I'm just posting this here anyways.

No-Joy- Nell'obitorio

----
05.12.2016 - 19:52
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Very nice dark ambient / droning black metal stuff from Poland. Eerie.

05.12.2016 - 22:39
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Was just listening to that sometime back and went into it expecting some metal with the tag but how weird, it was indeed very ambient-y. Good stuff and nice artwork too but barely 5% of it is metal.
05.12.2016 - 22:46
mz
Sounds 95% metal to me.
Great find Joe. I had missed this type of sound.
----
05.12.2016 - 23:07
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Most of the first track is metal of some sort and maybe 50% of the 2nd track is, and a degree of the last. The rest fades in and out in a very vague manner so guessing what is and isn't metal is hard. Definitely way more than 5% though.
05.12.2016 - 23:07
3rdWorld
China was a neat
@mz Sounds 100% BS to me.

EDIT: I indeed was mentioning the "distorted guitar-drums-bass-vocals" metal thing and not just being ambient metal or stuff. Get your shit straight mz.
05.12.2016 - 23:18
mz
Sure it is not metal in the same way that cannibal corpse and suffocation are metal
----
06.12.2016 - 00:41
mz
Speaking of ambient black metal: here is a nice album from Russia
Eleea- I

I dont care about stoner metal much, but this is too good. It has a tongue in check approach to sabathish metal, and does not seem to take itself too seriously:

Cybernetic Witch Cult -Spaceous Cretaceous

Also a great progressive stoner doom record from Brighton @ Joe. The vocals remind me of Primordial's:

King Goat-Conduit

psychedelic stoner doom from USA. Decent I would say:

The Well- Pagan Science

I think I've seen this cover before here. psychedelic sludge:

faces of the bog

----
06.12.2016 - 15:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Paz on 01.12.2016 at 20:32

Atmospheric black metal from Cambridgeshire with drone elements. Only one song is available thus far, but it's almost 20 minutes of music.

Was about to post this joking that it might be an example of technical atmospheric black metal. At any rate the crazy drumming really changes the way this feels and is a pretty original take on an otherwise stale genre. Quite nice stuff really.

Second song here.
06.12.2016 - 16:22
mz
Written by [user id=4365] on 06.12.2016 at 15:31

Was about to post this joking that it might be an example of technical atmospheric black metal. At any rate the crazy drumming really changes the way this feels and is a pretty original take on an otherwise stale genre. Quite nice stuff really.

Second song here.

also was about to post it
----
06.12.2016 - 21:00
Paz
Elite
Written by [user id=4365] on 06.12.2016 at 15:31

Second song here.

Haha, I like the tag! And totally agree... Without this kind of drumming the album would be pretty generic and not that interesting.
06.12.2016 - 21:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Yeah, just shows you don't have to change all that much to inject a bit of freshness into something.

And carrying on with weird genres here's a band who refer to themselves as "speed doom." Tbh it sounds more like a combo of sludge and heavy metal to me. It's not bad, though not great as the vocals bring it down a notch imo. Mostly posting because of the great art, but there's some nice slabs of groove going on.

"Insectile Death Metal inspired by a grand, arching science fiction mythos and the oppressive atmosphere of cosmic horror, BOREWORM paints an aggressive yet hauntingly melodic musical soundscape."

They used the word "insectile" so it gets a mention here from me purely on that respect. Musically it sways between fairly punishing and brutal techy death metal, djenty slabs (though inoffensively so) to much more melodic and serene post-type moments. It's pretty fine on the whole in fact and everything comes together nicely in a tight progressive manner and is weirdly atmospheric for this type of music. Another lovely artwork too of course.

06.12.2016 - 21:56
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Those are both great artworks. Second one looks so Beksinski-ish.
06.12.2016 - 22:03
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Yeah it's kind of great. Can't find the artist though sadly.