Metal Storm logo
Do you like Metallica's new album "Death Magnetic"?

Original post

Posted by Savage Messiah, 15.09.2008 - 06:07
Hey guys,

Just thought I'd create a thread so we can clearly see everyone's reaction to Metallica's new album!
Please give a reason for your answer, - let's keep this thread intelligent.

When I first heard Cyanide and The Day That Never Comes, I thought something along the lines of "wtf". Then I bought the album and listened to the entire thing in the car on my way to work.
IMO this album is good in its entirety, I enjoyed listening to the entire album, it would seem that the songs sound better in the context of the entire album, rather than by themselves.

In future (if they make another album) I would like to see some more aggressive vocal work from James, an updated knowledge of drum techniques and solos from Lars, perhaps a solo from Rob and a few solos that have actual FEELING from Kirk.

As I said, in its entirety this album makes for a good listen, so I give it the thumbs up.
I think that if Metallica create another album, it will be better. I see this album as a milestone towards their old metal-selves.

Poll

Do you like Metallica's new album "Death Magnetic"?

Yeah it's alright.
Yes, it's awesome!
Not really, no.
Absolutely hated it.
Haven't heard it yet.
Still making my mind up.

Total votes: 243
16.01.2009 - 08:13
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Land Of Doom on 06.12.2008 at 18:02

I want to say metallica new akbum not very good its a normal album from this band

I Remember their old albums (Metallica - Load - Reload) and notice that the band were the best trash metal and now their albums are bad and Metallica now is a normal band in the metal world

lol. the thought that those are "old" albums is pretty funny.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
16.01.2009 - 08:19
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by BitterCOld on 16.01.2009 at 08:13

I want to say metallica new akbum not very good its a normal album from this band

I Remember their old albums (Metallica - Load - Reload) and notice that the band were the best trash metal and now their albums are bad and Metallica now is a normal band in the metal world

Calling them thrash is even funnier.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
16.01.2009 - 15:21
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 16.01.2009 at 08:19

Written by BitterCOld on 16.01.2009 at 08:13

Calling them thrash is even funnier.

u cant even call metal albums for Load and Reload but about Metallica album, I say its Genre is : Metallica(Black Album) and its a metal album for me not a rock one! not even hard rock or what the fuck rock.
16.01.2009 - 16:50
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I guess that we can all agree to disagree...some of us like it...some of us don't...it won't change anyone's opinions the more you srgue about it back and forth...just makes for a pointless conversation hahaha...

I agree with THE_BLACK_GOD though...The Black Album is definetely a metal album...probably a pure heavy metal album...there are some thrashy parts here and there but not too many...and then Load and Reload are hard rock albums I guess...and then St. Anger and Death Magnetic are poor attempts at Metallica trying to imulate their earlier sound but fail I guess although it still sounds like Metallica...just a husk of the greatness that they once were...but it's ok...as long as they're still putting out music, that's what I think...
16.01.2009 - 18:26
Warman
Erotic Stains
I love it! During its highlights the best they've done since "Master of Puppets"!
----
17.01.2009 - 01:25
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I agree that post-"...And Justice..." is undeniably metal. not thrash, but still metal. it's just funny seeing them referred to as old albums.

"Death Magnetic" wasn't bad, but the album would certainly have benefited significantly from even remotely competent production. Just pushing everything to "10" hardly constitutes mixing...
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.01.2009 - 09:03
Kamperman
I listened to it, then thought to myself.... Hey! i heard this before... oh wait they just took the riffs and tunes out of the "black" album and modified it. there was also too much hype for something that shitty imo
----
It has to start somewhere, It has to start sometime. What better place then here? What better time then now?
17.01.2009 - 09:09
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Kamperman on 17.01.2009 at 09:03

I listened to it, then thought to myself.... Hey! i heard this before... oh wait they just took the riffs and tunes out of the "black" album and modified it...

examples?
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

17.01.2009 - 12:22
ForeverDarkWoods
I listened to it once. Didn't expect it to be any good. About the first riff of one or two songs sounded promising. After that everything always managed to go straight to hell. To me, it's nothing at all to get your hopes up over and it sure as hell isn't a return to form.

IMO, Metallica should have called it quits quite some time ago.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
18.01.2009 - 02:01
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 17.01.2009 at 12:22

I listened to it once. Didn't expect it to be any good. About the first riff of one or two songs sounded promising. After that everything always managed to go straight to hell. To me, it's nothing at all to get your hopes up over and it sure as hell isn't a return to form.

You listened to it only one. How can you make up any concrete conclusions about this album..?
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

18.01.2009 - 02:47
giok99
Written by BitterCOld on 17.01.2009 at 01:25

I agree that post-"...And Justice..." is undeniably metal. not thrash, but still metal. it's just funny seeing them referred to as old albums.

"Death Magnetic" wasn't bad, but the album would certainly have benefited significantly from even remotely competent production. Just pushing everything to "10" hardly constitutes mixing...

Have you listen to the "Remaster" that we can find on "alternative" source ?

I have both original and remix, and i really think that the remix is nicer.

Anyway, this album is alright.
----
Nothing is real
18.01.2009 - 13:22
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by K✞ulu on 18.01.2009 at 02:01

You listened to it only one. How can you make up any concrete conclusions about this album..?

One listen is usually enough to differentiate between the good and the bad. That album wasn't even close to being borderline. Every song turned into varying degrees of shit sooner or later, so I don't see any reason to listen to it again any time soon. If you listen to an album which you think is really, really bad, would you listen to it several more times just to make sure you're not missing out? To me, that would just be extremely stupid, especially as I'm not even that fond of post-AJFA Metallica in the first place.

The best part about the album though, was that it, while still being bad, was still miles above the musical abortion called St. Anger. I'll have to give it that much.

Simply, I don't like the type of music played on Death Magnetic, as it seems bland and dull to me in the best of cases, and outright annoying in the worst of cases. Therefore I don't give it 2 million listens just to make sure. Just one is enough, thank you.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
18.01.2009 - 14:27
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 18.01.2009 at 13:22

Written by K✞ulu on 18.01.2009 at 02:01

One listen is usually enough to differentiate between the good and the bad. That album wasn't even close to being borderline. Every song turned into varying degrees of shit sooner or later, so I don't see any reason to listen to it again any time soon. If you listen to an album which you think is really, really bad, would you listen to it several more times just to make sure you're not missing out? To me, that would just be extremely stupid, especially as I'm not even that fond of post-AJFA Metallica in the first place.

The best part about the album though, was that it, while still being bad, was still miles above the musical abortion called St. Anger. I'll have to give it that much.

Simply, I don't like the type of music played on Death Magnetic, as it seems bland and dull to me in the best of cases, and outright annoying in the worst of cases. Therefore I don't give it 2 million listens just to make sure. Just one is enough, thank you.

Ok, I understand your point. But just as far as differentiating between good and bad, I used to not understand what was so cool about Megadeth's Rust in Peace for a long time while now it's my all-time favorite. But anyways your explanation of why you don't like DM is clear.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

19.01.2009 - 19:07
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
No i have not heard a remastered version. i am sure it could only benefit from a work over, though.
----

20.01.2009 - 20:50
Saitenhexerin
I don't know...
I mean it is better that St.Anger, but i am missing something...
or maybe i am not the fan of the newer metallica...
I'll always love Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning and of course Kill em All!
----
- When I die, bury me in smoke.
- Defendress of the Faith.
20.01.2009 - 20:59
Luciferion
Written by Saitenhexerin on 20.01.2009 at 20:50

I don't know...
I mean it is better that St.Anger, but i am missing something...
or maybe i am not the fan of the newer metallica...
I'll always love Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning and of course Kill em All!

Couldn't agree more.. haha it is better then the shit they tried to pass off in teh past, as you mentioned St. Anger. It's nothing compared to ...And justice for all, and their other earlier works (anything up to ...and justice). since ...and justice, metallica has been 1 fail attempt of a record after another, and i can't imagine that changing anytime soon.
----
Fear makes the wolf bigger than he is, and I am the wolf that hunts you.
27.03.2009 - 14:19
Andresopeth
I think is a very good album, of course people always think about "Kill'em All", "Ride The Lightning", "Master Of Puppets" and "...And Justice For All" when Metallica is pronounced, but i think we can't expect they do albums like those 20 years later, those albums are something unique and won't be reply, so that makes those albums even more special. But back in Death Magnetic it is a very good work, they have done an amazing effort and it has passages from the old sound. We can't compare the 80's Metallica with this 2008 version, in my opinion they forgot all the shit they did with the Load, Reload and St Anger and gave us one album to enjoy!
03.04.2009 - 10:57
matthioso
And again Metallica does it!
They gave us a great album and again it's nothing like anything before.
Each of their albums is something else, never the same!
Awesome album!
----
www.seedofrock.be
03.04.2009 - 13:09
Black Mass
The more we keep comparing DM to Master or Justice, the more we talk ourselves out of liking DM on its own merits.
After the half arsed album that was St. Anger I was very happy, as a die-hard Metallica fan, to hear DM. By the 3rd listen I was convinced they had come back from the dead. Not sure they will be able to back up DM with another album though, which is sad. I'm just happy they got rid of Bob Rock - absolute twat.
All Nightmare Long is my face track.
03.04.2009 - 14:31
taha_69
I chose "its alright" and well, it is!

There are some really good songs on it and they play them live really well!

In my opinion, it is a great improvment from St.Anger. But for Metallica fans, it wouldnt really be hard to make a better album.

Still doesnt top the first 5 albums, but still, a good album!
03.04.2009 - 20:41
TormentoR.
This album is only good when you say its a good hardrock/normal metal album..
And yea, me likey it that way.:thumbup:

You cant say its a thrash metal album. its not thrash!!!:thumbdown:
Its like would say blind guiardian plays black metal. LOL

EDIT : i voted for "" Yes, it's awesome! ""
----

Evil undisguised
Breathe in pain
Blackened souls remain
03.04.2009 - 23:05
Wyrd
Metallica should get the Sand out of there vagina's and make real thrash metal again!!!!
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
04.04.2009 - 03:47
TormentoR.
Written by Wyrd on 03.04.2009 at 23:05

Metallica should get the Sand out of there vagina's and make real thrash metal again!!!!

We all would like that but NO, NEVER, they ll never come back with thrash... just get used to it ppl, METALLICA WONT MAKE THRASH !
----

Evil undisguised
Breathe in pain
Blackened souls remain
04.04.2009 - 07:19
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Um...I would call a lot of what is on Death Magnetic thrash metal...

Just get used to it ppl, METALLICA STILL MAKES THRASH!

Oh, let me type that again so that you get the point:

METALLICA STILL MAKES THRASH!

Can't get over the fact that thrash isn't just ONE THING yet eh? Well you will in time...
04.04.2009 - 07:47
TormentoR.
Written by [user id=2084] on 04.04.2009 at 07:19

Can't get over the fact that thrash isn't just ONE THING yet eh? Well you will in time...

' yea f**king right
----

Evil undisguised
Breathe in pain
Blackened souls remain
04.04.2009 - 07:49
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by TormentoR. on 04.04.2009 at 07:47

' yea f**king right

Yeah you saw what I typed...look at the words and accept it...Metallica still plays thrash...Yeah fucking right as in METALLICA FUCKING STILL PLAYS THRASH! You're just trying to look cool and fit in with the other fucking retarded 99.99% of the ignorant metal community who thinks that Death Magnetic sucks! I fail to see what SO COOL about dissing Metallica anyway...they are a band and play music...you aren't in a band cool enough like Metallica to make the kind of music they do...and I'm not a Metallica fanboy either...nice response by the way hah very sound reasoning...
04.04.2009 - 08:00
TormentoR.
Written by [user id=2084] on 04.04.2009 at 07:49

Written by TormentoR. on 04.04.2009 at 07:47

' yea f**king right

Yeah you saw what I typed...look at the words and accept it...Metallica still plays thrash...Yeah fucking right as in METALLICA FUCKING STILL PLAYS THRASH! You're just trying to look cool and fit in with the other fucking retarded 99.99% of the ignorant metal community who thinks that Death Magnetic sucks! I fail to see what SO COOL about dissing Metallica anyway...they are a band and play music...you aren't in a band cool enough like Metallica to make the kind of music they do...and I'm not a Metallica fanboy either...nice response by the way hah very sound reasoning...

can you cool the fuck down man? did I said death magfuckingnetic SUCKS ??? I LOVE METALLICA !
load, reload, st anger FOR ME are not thrash, but i like them. and death megnetic might have some lil piece of thrash but its not enough to call it THRASH. do not quote me anymore and do not insult. i've said my stuff you said yours. let us hear other ppl thoughts about this
----

Evil undisguised
Breathe in pain
Blackened souls remain
04.04.2009 - 08:05
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@morbid_tormentor: Yeah I can calm down...I never said that Load, Reload and St. Anger was thrash...I DID say that Death Magnetic has thrash metal moments...and I can quote whoever I want...I didn't insult you either...I made a general insult...and I always hear other people's thoughts that's for damn sure...
04.04.2009 - 14:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Death Magnetic has a few thrash MOMENTS, but not enough to warrant calling the album thrash.
And, yes, this album is better than St. Anger and Load and Reload but still a very very average album at best. If an unknown band had made this album it would have been ignored by everyone.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.04.2009 - 16:06
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
I dont care Death Magnetic is a thrash or pop album !!! I like it and its so much better than a lot of albums released ex year.