Metal Storm logo
Power metal's finest

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 17.05.2006 - 08:22
I put JP in this list because i consider their post painkiller era power metal. And Ms dosnt class IE as Power either, but i think IE could easily be classed as Power/Thrash at times. Anyway cast your vote for the gods of power metal.

Its a very hard decision, but i will vote for Nightwish, the early era was fantastic, though the same cant be said for recent times.

Poll

which is your favorite?

Blind Guardian
Sonata Actrica
Kamelot
Nightwish
Helloween
Iced Earth
Stratovarius
Judas Priest (1990-2005)
Manowar

Total votes: 221
05.04.2007 - 04:25
Bitch Boy
I voted Nightwish, I love Tarja's voice, Tuomas's lyrics, the instrumentation, the orchestra, their albums, etc. Iced Earth is very close though, and I fairly say that Helloween, Stratovarius and Blind Guardian also deserve a mention.
05.04.2007 - 13:10
APOHAKC
The Bard
One and only Manowar!
Brothers is everywhere, raise your hands in to the air, we are warriors, warriors of the world!
I love this band, I love their music and their lyrics, only thing I don't like is their look but that is far from important, all of their albums are fucking awesome and as they said: Four Kings Of Metal... Your Metal Kings!
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
05.04.2007 - 15:24
arwestromen
None of these are my fav PM band but Nightwish is the gratest on this list.
Lost Horizon is the PM-band for me
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
29.04.2007 - 20:57
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
I voted for Blind Guardian. They sing about Frodo and the ring but im a geak so I dont care .
12.06.2007 - 17:40
Im_Haunted
Account deleted
Powerquest!!
14.06.2007 - 11:37
DoOm MaKeR
I am not a power metal fan! but out of those i go with nightwish!! i like there bass and guitars !!
----
knowing that i'm doomed. hundreds of volumes of text. pictures, words, learning. my love, my art, my knowledge...covered by the arms of the sea.
Morgion - Ebb Tide
14.06.2007 - 14:09
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
power metal is great genre overall...but who stands over the others and who tamed me to metal genre is Nightwish
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

14.06.2007 - 14:42
Pagan Revival
Account deleted
Voted Kamelot, but Nightwish and Blind Guardian were a close second.
16.06.2007 - 21:05
Infurnace
Sonata Arctica, Edguy and Kamelot are my favorite Power Metal bands, but overall, I will have to go with Sonata Arctica.
16.06.2007 - 21:18
Goat
Account deleted
I totally agree with COBHC in that Sonata Arctica gets the win, but to the creater of the thread:

Manowar and Priest are not power metal, they are heavy metal. Learn your genres. Also, no Gamma Ray, Hammerfall or Edguy in the pole, that is disgraceful.
18.06.2007 - 08:03
Torture Killer
Account deleted
Judas Priest, My Favorite band Of all time
20.06.2007 - 11:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=24359] on 16.06.2007 at 21:18

I totally agree with COBHC in that Sonata Arctica gets the win, but to the creater of the thread:

Manowar and Priest are not power metal, they are heavy metal. Learn your genres. Also, no Gamma Ray, Hammerfall or Edguy in the pole, that is disgraceful.

I had hear Iron Maiden its power metal too
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.06.2007 - 06:52
UpTheIrons666
I had to go with Helloween. They were probably the most important band to power metal, and some may not agree with me when I say that the Andi Deris material is as good as the Kiske material but thats my take. Their music just doesnt get old for me.
02.07.2007 - 05:14
selken
Irreligious
hard decision, but i voted for Stratovarius, they were my first approach to melodic metal, the necolassical sound, the harpsichord, the energy of the music... I love that band!!!!!!,
----
03.07.2007 - 03:35
Varegan
Hamranakara
definitely MANOWAR!!!! HAIL
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)

03.07.2007 - 13:17
Abattoir
Staff
All abovementioned bands are very good, but my best band from all of these is Blind Guardian...I like vocal very much and pretty much all of their stuff (the albums) that they've made...
07.07.2007 - 15:51
Imraghil
100 % Kamelot, but sonata arctica and blind guardian are second, nightwish thirt.
20.07.2007 - 22:31
Dark Tormentor
Account deleted
hey why the hell isnt gamma ray(u cant leave kai hansen out his the father of PM), edguy, hammer fall, angra, freedom call and some more in this topic u cant make a PM topic without those bands!!!
and there is manowar and judas priest (also iced earth and nightwish arent completely power metal) better learn more about the genres man!!!
29.07.2007 - 12:25
Bash'
:)
Nightwish

Then Sonata, Strato & Kemlot..

Nightwish, big thanks, enough they let me go into metal.. not only, but also there coming album is going to be great, so far I am freaked by what we know from it..

Blind G, not my cup of tea, no ..
----
I saw her standing by the crimson sea...
Isolated by the silent thoughts...
Her gazing was intense but so dead...

The teardrops corroded the soil.. She couldn't say a word to me...
29.07.2007 - 16:03
Warman
Erotic Stains
Does Extreme Power Metal bands count?
----
29.07.2007 - 23:44
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by Warman on 29.07.2007 at 16:03

Does Extreme Power Metal bands count?

I don't think so, but like someone cares, so shoot
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
31.07.2007 - 20:24
In Chaos
Helloween or Sonata Arctica, both bands are so good and unique. but i think i have to go with Helloween since they got me into Power metal and i have listened to them much longer than Sonata Arctica. but Sonata comes on a close second place.
And i also think that Gamma Ray should be in the poll.
26.08.2007 - 23:21
Remus
Iced Earth is my favourite from the list. Their vocals are trully awesome (Barlow or Owens) and Shaffer's style of guitaring is just so different. Every album has something to it, even "Horror Show" does it for me! The fact that they throw in some thrash might have something to do with it as well.

So i vote for Iced Earth.

P.S.

Kamelot comes oh so close.
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
26.08.2007 - 23:37
PowerMetal
Account deleted
Demons and Wizards got me into Metal (Schaeffer of IE and Kursch of BG) but Kamelot was the one that made me love the genre. One of the few bands where I own and enjoy all of their cd's (and their dvd which rules).
28.08.2007 - 16:46
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
Blind Guardian is my favourite power metal band. I also like Stratovarius and Heavenly.
28.08.2007 - 20:11
Warman
Erotic Stains
Well, Wintersun for me. Although the sound is like a mix of three, four genres, Power Metal is one of those.
----
28.08.2007 - 21:08
Knightrider
The Sorcerer
It´s Blind Guardian that I voted for, second is Manowar and third Rhapsody of Fire
09.02.2008 - 00:30
Lothroniell
Account deleted
Blind Guardian is my favorite band.
But I also like helloween, Iced Earth, Sonata Arctica, Kamelot, Manowar (from that list).
09.02.2008 - 01:32
Ascalon
I voted for Stratovarius, 'cause it's bando of those ones that I hear the most, but I alos like Kamelot and Heelloween al lot ... but Judas Priest in that group ??
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
15.02.2008 - 22:47
iaberis
Advice Troll
Helloween for the win!
The first in the genre! They do suck at some points but who cares... Keepers are still great
----
Bitch! Please