Metal Storm logo
What metal genre have you been into recently? What band started it?

Original post

Posted by -DC-002-, 31.10.2008 - 10:10
A simple question. what genre or style of metal have you been listening too lately? And what band spurred it?

does this topic exist already? I guess I'll find out
14.04.2009 - 10:49
ToMegaTherion
I have actually been listening to a bit of Death metal in the last few days. Mainly Obituary and Autopsy, but it was actually start by a bit of an unusual source. I was listen to Kittie's Brakish which is by no means Death Metal but then that put me in the mood for Slowly We Rot, then as metal dose, it grew from there.
16.04.2009 - 01:50
Recently I've been collecting NWOBHM records. Before, it was the first two Maiden records, Venom and Motorhead. That was all the NWOBHM i had relaly heard. I just got Lighting to the Nations by Diamond head, the first few Saxon cd's and Angel Witch. I love the NWOBHM. It maintains that classic sound but is way more "headbangable"
17.04.2009 - 12:13
thyfuneral
Account deleted
Indeed, more on groove and thrash metal I usually collecting since I was start listening to metal music until I found the legendary Death Metal band MORBID ANGEL!
17.04.2009 - 22:45
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
I somehow ''returned'' back to listening gothic metal, since it's probably the genre I have get to know and listened to most in my past years. I am again fascinated by early works by Theatre of Tragedy and Tristania, who were two major bands that got me into this sub-genre. Recently it started with Sirenia's newest work, The 13th floor. Yes, I am still madly in love with Morten
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
17.04.2009 - 23:47
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Lately i've been listening to NWOBHM, my interest in them probably was determined by my new addition to the list of favorite bands, Saxon, and by hearing some Angel Witch and Diamond Head tracks. now i've downloaded like 22 kvlt NWOBHM singles, and the whole discography of Cloven Hoof and Praying Mantis, both bands being pretty damn awesome.
26.05.2009 - 23:42
Andresopeth
Wow, i guess the last band that caught my atention and i haven't heard before is Moonspell, a very special friend of mine introduced me to their songs and now i listen to them a lot. Gothic Metal is back in me with this band, recently i have also listen to Draconian a lot
27.05.2009 - 13:43
Last months I´ve listened mostly power. Wierd in a way, but on the other hand... Well... Power is "gay" most of the time (Dragonforce - name says it all!), but some cool bands (Iced Earth, Blind Guardian) are worth of a lot of respect. I´ve always listened power, but latest "fashion" begun with Iced Earth. And Barlow
----
Look, The old Bitch is back!
28.05.2009 - 20:44
Smurfkiller
Account deleted
I've been listening to Death and Black for a couple of years. But I recently got into Grindcore, it's relentless and fun. I got into it thanks to Rotten Sound but current grindcore faves are Gridlink and Insect Warfare. Pig Destroyer is inching their way up there.
02.06.2009 - 20:44
Nimlot
A. Reader
I've been into a lot of progressive lately... it's all Beyond Twilight's fault. After listening to The Devil's Hall of Fame I wanted to hear more from Jorn and I found out about ARK, great prog band, if you haven't heard of them check them out. NOW! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4axSr-3ZCFA
03.06.2009 - 03:23
His Eminence
Account deleted
I've been listening to a lot of black/death metal such as Daath, Shade Empire, Dark Fortress, and Behemoth lately. Also, I discovered newer thrash bands such as Warbringer and Evile just today, and I've found them really enjoyable.
03.06.2009 - 07:30
DarkMistress
I´ve been lately in some doom, like Mutum, Penumbra, Reverend Bizarre and a bit of My dying bride perhaps the influence of being next to a doomster
----
Wait in fire
29.08.2009 - 17:36
Panterica
Right now I' deeply into Prog. The band that started my interest in the genre is Dream Theater, I love their coplicated and challenging music.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
30.08.2009 - 18:30
Elfeder
I guess it is viking/folk metal and the band that "influanced" on me into listening that stuff is Moonsorrow
31.08.2009 - 08:24
Kratos
I have been listing to alot of Power Metal right now, the band that started it was Helloween, Amazing band Kai Hansen, and Andi Deris are amazing vocalists.
17.09.2009 - 23:35
Angel Of Mercy
Power Metal, yeah I'd say Helloween started it.but maiden and priest and all those NWOBM band's influenced it heavily
----
Your time will come.
21.09.2009 - 20:43
MetallicA
Well, my iPod is usually on shuffle so any genre of metal may come up and I'll listen.

One particular genre that I have grown to love recently is folk metal. There are so many great folk metal bands...back in November of 08 when I was still a DJ at my univerity's radio station, I played nothing but folk metal for 3 and a half hours straight! It was awesome! I remember a few months later, I went to a punk rock show and started talking to some random skinhead. We started talking about metal and asked me if I heard that folk metal show (I told him ofsourse I heard it, I was the DJ!) Yeah, that was really cool
----

God's disciples want you to die!
In the blazing inferno
Slewed on Satan's pitchfork
Burning for eternity
Death
I see it coming your way
by my hand... or by your fate
with no remorse.
21.09.2009 - 21:38
Abattoir
Staff
Well lately I've started to listen to gothic/doom metal. Well for now I have exploring this subgenre with bands like Paradise Lost and Saturnus...some stuff of these two bands sounds realy amazing. But I'm still discovering, because it has draged me into it deeply...
21.09.2009 - 22:35
Crème fraiche
Been hooked on power metal (cue groans fro "euro flower power haters") for like 5 years now. Started when a buddy got me hooked on Iron Maiden, and I just started my obsession with metal, and eventually power metal.
23.09.2009 - 17:07
SerratedSyringe
I've never really been into thrash before, but lately I've been getting into bands line Arch Enemy and Skeletonwitch.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
23.09.2009 - 17:35
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Recently i've been listening to doom metal, Empyrium and Virgin Black great stuff.
25.09.2009 - 08:16
ToMegaTherion
I have been listening to a lot of Thrash metal lately, Megadeth were the trigger when I bought the new album, since then Testament, Exodus and Hirax have been keeping me amused.
25.09.2009 - 21:37
SerratedSyringe
Written by [user id=34158] on 03.06.2009 at 03:23

I've been listening to a lot of black/death metal such as Daath, Shade Empire, Dark Fortress, and Behemoth lately. Also, I discovered newer thrash bands such as Warbringer and Evile just today, and I've found them really enjoyable.

Are you going to the Obituary/Warbringer/Goatwhore/Krisiun/The Berzerker show this Friday?
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
27.09.2009 - 05:31
His Eminence
Account deleted
Written by SerratedSyringe on 25.09.2009 at 21:37

Written by [user id=34158] on 03.06.2009 at 03:23

Are you going to the Obituary/Warbringer/Goatwhore/Krisiun/The Berzerker show this Friday?

No I probably won't be going. The only bands I'd actually care to see out of that lot is Obituary and Warbringer. Goatwhore is okay, and I don't know much about the other two.
30.09.2009 - 01:56
ToMegaTherion
Prog today, lots and lots of prog metal. actually Opeth started it this time, and to be honest they are sharing my mp3 player with only one other band at this moment in time. But of course 800 megs of Opeth take up a lot of space on a 1gig mp3 player.
05.10.2009 - 04:52
Simphonic medal-sonata arctica/viking medal-amon amarth
i love these bands
----
i like what i like
06.10.2009 - 01:06
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
I had a go at some Funeral Doom a few months ago, its hard to get into but im starting to like it. Ahab i found were highly reviewed, so i tried them.

Most other genres i listen to equally.
06.10.2009 - 06:40
Derwood
Doom ... and I blame Marcel.

Damn Process of Guilt's new one is good.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
06.10.2009 - 14:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Derwood on 06.10.2009 at 06:40

Doom ... and I blame Marcel.

Damn Process of Guilt's new one is good.

Thanks for blaming me. I gladly take all blame upon me when it comes to getting people into doom.

Nice couple of weeks of doom coming up for me. COming Saturday Akelei (should check them out, really melodic nice dreamy doom lyrics are in Dutch though), Shattered Hope (nice death doom from Greece, both demos reviewed here on MS), Mourning Dawn (black doom in the vein of Bethlehem and Deinonychus with extreme vocals live courtesu of Jo/Marquis of Funeralium and Ataraxie) and Ahab (masters of nautical funeral doom hahaha)

and then two weeks later two days of Dutch Doom Days
with amongst other, Process Of Guilt. Can't wait to see them again after Madrid Is The Dark's blistering set.

Btw if you're into that sort of doom with loads of Neurosis influences and stuff you should also check out Aathma (were also at Madrid Is The Dark).
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.10.2009 - 14:41
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
All kinds of Doom and Black... I'm sure that's gonna stay with me for a long long time if not for mi entire life.

I blame both Marcel and Lucas for that
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
06.10.2009 - 15:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 06.10.2009 at 14:41

All kinds of Doom and Black... I'm sure that's gonna stay with me for a long long time if not for mi entire life.

I blame both Marcel and Lucas for that

FFS why don't we all blame it on me.
Before you know it I will be blamed for getting people into European Flower Power Metal because of the fact I hate it so much
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996