Metal Storm logo
Is Death Magnetic a Thrash Album or its not?

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 04.04.2009 - 16:26
Please listen to the album nicely and vote at this poll. The main goal of this poll is to enlighten that what fans think about this album and why?
For me its like a thrash metal album, specially when it goes to Kirk Hammet's solo's. Its not like 80's Thrash albums and all of us know it for sure, But I cant say it is a Death Metal or Glam! nor Doom or Heavy and doesnt need to think about Black Metal too! For me, this album "Based On Thrash Metal", then its enough for me to call it a Thrash Metal album.

Poll

Is Death Magnetic A Thrash Album or Its not?

No
Yes

Total votes: 167
12.05.2009 - 09:41
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Deadmeat on 11.05.2009 at 15:28

Written by [user id=31891] on 11.05.2009 at 15:04

Written by Deadmeat on 11.05.2009 at 14:55

Written by [user id=31891] on 11.05.2009 at 14:48

and the results were proved my thoughts.

the score is 25-19 against your opinion... or do i have a problem with my eyes????

no your problem is that you cant understand when in your site they gave a heavy metal award to metallica this is a good result then! and second thing is that a lot of ppl answered No, and said that metallica is a pop rock or they are not even a metal band. ok?

i never told that i agree with their nomination as heavy metal album. i told 2-3 posts ago that i don't think this is a completely heavy metal album.

about those telling them pop rock band they told it because of the Black album. that's when this nickname was first given to metallica.

tell me something, do you like slayer or exodus???

I didnt like slayer, but nowadays Ive become a fan of Show No Mercy album. Exodus is nice too but I cant say that Im a fan.
12.05.2009 - 09:44
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.05.2009 at 16:43

Written by [user id=31891] on 11.05.2009 at 11:59

at least 80% of ppl laughed when they saw DM is nominated in Heavy Metal genre! in my city I didnt see no one who is agree with this opinion, specially those who hasnt seen MS awards, understand?

Then apparently people in your city have no idea of what thrash is.

Once again, DM has some thrashy songs but in general isn't thrash AT ALL. It is as much thrash as Countdown To Extinction & Youthanasia by Megadeth

Im not sure that how much do you know about Urmia.
12.05.2009 - 09:54
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by [user id=31891] on 12.05.2009 at 09:41

the score is 25-19 against your opinion... or do i have a problem with my eyes????

no your problem is that you cant understand when in your site they gave a heavy metal award to metallica this is a good result then! and second thing is that a lot of ppl answered No, and said that metallica is a pop rock or they are not even a metal band. ok?

i never told that i agree with their nomination as heavy metal album. i told 2-3 posts ago that i don't think this is a completely heavy metal album.

about those telling them pop rock band they told it because of the Black album. that's when this nickname was first given to metallica.

I didnt like slayer, but nowadays Ive become a fan of Show No Mercy album. Exodus is nice too but I cant say that Im a fan.

Slayer (mostly after show no mercy -which is their heaviest album) are the definition of thrash metal. compare them with most metallica's releases and you'll see why they are not Thrash. i do not say they are not good. i say not thrash.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
12.05.2009 - 10:43
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Deadmeat on 12.05.2009 at 09:54

Slayer (mostly after show no mercy -which is their heaviest album) are the definition of thrash metal. compare them with most metallica's releases and you'll see why they are not Thrash. i do not say they are not good. i say not thrash.

and they used some riffs of Kill em All in that album u know? and used a lot of maiden sounds too.
12.05.2009 - 13:37
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by [user id=31891] on 12.05.2009 at 10:43

Written by Deadmeat on 12.05.2009 at 09:54

and they used some riffs of Kill em All in that album u know? and used a lot of maiden sounds too.

show no mercy was released the same year as kill them all. i doubt that they did this. and that about iron maiden: so, metallica wasn't influenced from some other bands? every musician has his influnces...

and what about these? i didn't say that slayer are better. I SAID THAT THEY ARE THRASH!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
12.05.2009 - 14:50
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath and lot of bands influenced metellica. but Metallica did Influenced Slayer. metallica released their album at 83 but they were active from 80. and the most Importnat thing is that I hear same things in Show no Mercy album! that enough man. Metallica is the founder of thrash metal u cant say that slayer did it.
12.05.2009 - 15:23
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by [user id=31891] on 12.05.2009 at 14:50

Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath and lot of bands influenced metellica. but Metallica did Influenced Slayer. metallica released their album at 83 but they were active from 80. and the most Importnat thing is that I hear same things in Show no Mercy album! that enough man. Metallica is the founder of thrash metal u cant say that slayer did it.

metallica "found" it right. slayer and other "accomplised it". but this is not the point. as i told you, the music that slayer play is an easy example of what thrash metal is. exodus. i didn't say anyhting about kill em all etc... i just told you to compare slayer's music with death magnetic to see why your opinion is not the right.

also the difference keeps on growing. 31-19...
----
12.05.2009 - 16:58
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.05.2009 at 16:43

Written by [user id=31891] on 11.05.2009 at 11:59

at least 80% of ppl laughed when they saw DM is nominated in Heavy Metal genre! in my city I didnt see no one who is agree with this opinion, specially those who hasnt seen MS awards, understand?

Then apparently people in your city have no idea of what thrash is.

Once again, DM has some thrashy songs but in general isn't thrash AT ALL. It is as much thrash as Countdown To Extinction & Youthanasia by Megadeth

...I would actually say it's even less thrash than countdown, although Youthanasia, I dunno about that'n.

But yes, I voted it down for the fact that the sound holds basically no similarity to thrash imo not in the least.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
13.05.2009 - 05:32
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
Rock bands don't do thrash metal.
----
13.05.2009 - 09:51
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Ph0eNiX on 13.05.2009 at 05:32

but they invent it? ROFL
13.05.2009 - 10:02
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
Written by [user id=31891] on 13.05.2009 at 09:51

but they invent it? ROFL

Are you suggesting metallica invented Thrash metal?

Technically Queen did (Stone cold crazy), Motorhead did and Judas Priest did. There was also an existing thrash metal scene in England before metallica got a record out. (Venom comes to mind for another band who started before metallica did.) The problem is that when you look at the situation yeah, metallilca was an early band on the scene for the 80's but they didn't create the genre or put a lot into the genre for long enough to really make it what it is. Especially by way of speed, musicianship or by way of consistancy in form.
----
13.05.2009 - 10:57
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Ph0eNiX on 13.05.2009 at 10:02

but they invent it? ROFL

Technically Queen did (Stone cold crazy), Motorhead did and Judas Priest did. There was also an existing thrash metal scene in England before metallica got a record out. (Venom comes to mind for another band who started before metallica did.) The problem is that when you look at the situation yeah, metallilca was an early band on the scene for the 80's but they didn't create the genre or put a lot into the genre for long enough to really make it what it is. Especially by way of speed, musicianship or by way of consistancy in form.

and they are rock bands, so think then speak.
13.05.2009 - 14:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

There was also an existing thrash metal scene in England before metallica got a record out.

Where the hell did you get that fallacy from? Clearly someone speaking here who wasn't around at the time. The only thing going metal wise in England at the time was the NWOBHM which wasn't even a defined sound and Judas Priest and Motorhead weren't even part of because they had already released a couple of albums before that.
Yes, Metallica was inspired by bands such as Venom, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Diamond Head, and other British bands but there was NO such thing as a thrash scene ANYWHERE in the world before Metallica recorded their TWO demos (Power Metal, No Life Till Leather) It is because of those two demos and Kill 'em All that other bands such as Overkill Slayer Exodus etc etc changed their sound and stepped it up a couple of notches.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.05.2009 - 14:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

but they didn't create the genre or put a lot into the genre for long enough to really make it what it is. Especially by way of speed, musicianship or by way of consistancy in form.

I think you really do need to check up on the thrash movement. Because every single early thrash band clearly states they were inspired by Metallica cause at the time Metallcia was the fastest band around (demo and Kill 'em All era) and the most musical of the fast bands as well.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.05.2009 - 18:21
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Not even sure where to begin here. really.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
13.05.2009 - 19:13
terrorist
No need to begin just say Death Magnetic is Thrash, like it or not!!!
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
14.05.2009 - 00:30
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
Written by [user id=31891] on 13.05.2009 at 10:57

but they invent it? ROFL

and they are rock bands, so think then speak.

Queen's a rock band. Motorhead, Judas Preist and Venom are metal bands. I did think when I spoke.
----
14.05.2009 - 00:57
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.05.2009 at 14:46

There was also an existing thrash metal scene in England before metallica got a record out.

Where the hell did you get that fallacy from? Clearly someone speaking here who wasn't around at the time. The only thing going metal wise in England at the time was the NWOBHM which wasn't even a defined sound and Judas Priest and Motorhead weren't even part of because they had already released a couple of albums before that.
Yes, Metallica was inspired by bands such as Venom, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Diamond Head, and other British bands but there was NO such thing as a thrash scene ANYWHERE in the world before Metallica recorded their TWO demos (Power Metal, No Life Till Leather) It is because of those two demos and Kill 'em All that other bands such as Overkill Slayer Exodus etc etc changed their sound and stepped it up a couple of notches.

THis was about who invented the scene not how many bands were influenced.
(Don't forget Anthrax )
Without Venom's play style, Motorhead's ability to play fast and Judas priest playing as a mechanized assault metallica wouldn't have had their deal of putting out their demo's or album. I'm sorry but I gotta disagree with that mindset on stuff simply because there were bands that were playing it before mertallica. Just because metallica happened to be in the opening end of it becomming a scene doesn't mean that it was their idea is my point. When it comes to invent it's who did it 1st, metallica was playing from their level of "The bands they listened to and liked" which would indicate that the entire deal of metallica was them playing through the idea of bands that already existed. Metallica have a brief place amongst thrash metal but they didn't keep it any further than 3 albums and ended it with the last track on & Justice for all.
----
14.05.2009 - 20:31
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Ph0eNiX on 14.05.2009 at 00:57

so tell me about this british thrash scene prior to metallica.

just because queen cut a fast song, motorhead played fast, venom played aggressively, and Judas Priest had nicely harmonized guitars does not a scene make.

there were british bands that played some music that influenced thrash bands, but i don't think anyone would classify them as thrash bands...

it was metallica more than any other band that really spearheaded the burgeoning movement.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.05.2009 - 04:07
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
Written by BitterCOld on 14.05.2009 at 20:31

Written by Ph0eNiX on 14.05.2009 at 00:57

so tell me about this british thrash scene prior to metallica.

just because queen cut a fast song, motorhead played fast, venom played aggressively, and Judas Priest had nicely harmonized guitars does not a scene make.

there were british bands that played some music that influenced thrash bands, but i don't think anyone would classify them as thrash bands...

it was metallica more than any other band that really spearheaded the burgeoning movement.

When it comes to the thrash metal scene in england it was developing through aspects of the punk scene. When it comes to the band that did it 1st, I would put Venom up as the band that did that. Aside from the fact that Venom was more influential on the Black Metal frontier, the play style and the speed they put out would be equivalent to thrash metal standards following in the next couple of years (especially in the german side of thrash metal). If they had put less of an emphasis on the whole satan thing it may have been clearer to see but all in all Venom put the format that thrash metal took into perspective. (There are black thrash metal bands as well so it would fit the reality there a bit as well)

Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth did put a lot of the scene together, and they all did popularize it as a play style. I wouldn't take that away from them at all. I wouldn't exactly attribute them to starting to play that way.

Without the influences of Motorhead, Judas Priest and Venom (All of whom did play fast especially for the time.) If you're gonna tell me that without those bands playing how they did and what they did that Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, and Black Sabbath would have influences anyone on the american thrash metal scene to play like that , that's silly talk , sir! Metallica wrote around their influences, one of which was venom.

Does Judas Priest have a thrash metal listing to them? No but they have elements in their writing that made it into thrash metal (music as a moving force). Motorhead? Not really (It would be streaching it a bit although they were definately an influence to the scene by way of speed.). Would Venom? I would say yes.

My initial statement causing this was "No, rock bands don't play thrash metal".I do stand by that opinion because metallica did turn into and stay as a rock band since the Black album. Other than that, before there's another potential barrage of "NO NO!!!! METALLICA!!!! METALLICA!!!!" think about it... Would you call metallica "Thrash Metal" or even "Metal" anymore? Yes "Kill 'em All", "Ride the Lightning" & "Master of Puppets" are thrash metal albums, but it didn't stay that way? "...and justice for all" was still metal and all but did it stay metal after that?
----
15.05.2009 - 05:02
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
The english punk scene pretty much skipped thrash entirely and morphed into grindcore. you can name a bunch of influential british grindcore acts - Napalm Death, Carcass, Extreme Noise Terror... name one significant british thrash band from the early 80's. if there was a scene, seems to me that they would have some band that was as widely recognized as second or third tier thrash bands from the US. Unless you want to credit Venom for all extreme music.

the fact is those bands you cite were influences - yes, but they did not play thrash as such, correct? influence is a far cry from giving birth to a genre. but by using this loose standard, i guess i could call myself a thrash and black metal fan dating back to the mid-80s when i was listening to Exploited (Exodus cite as an example) and GBH (Quorthon said "City Baby Attacked By Rats" was half the influence going in to his first album)... and i always thought i was a punker. who knew that when i was singing along to "I Am The Hunted" back in high school i was into black metal?

The problem is that when you look at the situation yeah, metallilca was an early band on the scene for the 80's but they didn't create the genre or put a lot into the genre for long enough to really make it what it is. Especially by way of speed, musicianship or by way of consistancy in form.

go buy a copy of "Get Thrashed" - you'll find that many of the prominent musicians and other folks associated with Thrash Metal back in the 80's disagree with you.

frankly, i'm more likely to take Gary Holt's word over yours as far as the influence of Metallica and what they did for thrash metal.
----

15.05.2009 - 09:15
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Ph0eNiX on 15.05.2009 at 04:07

Would you call metallica "Thrash Metal" or even "Metal" anymore? Yes "Kill 'em All", "Ride the Lightning" & "Master of Puppets" are thrash metal albums, but it didn't stay that way? "...and justice for all" was still metal and all but did it stay metal after that?

yeah man, you cannot say that death magnetic is rock. or st anger (it may be bullshit but it is not rock). metallica are metal. a bit sell-out but they are. with these words that you say, sorry but no one will take you seriously...
----
15.05.2009 - 09:19
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Metallica Did create Thrash Metal and if u have problem with it please do this:
17.05.2009 - 02:38
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I voted no... It has some thrashy elemets but it's in general a Heavy metal album.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
17.05.2009 - 10:32
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 17.05.2009 at 02:38

I voted no... It has some thrashy elemets but it's in general a Heavy metal album.

would you mind to count some of those Elements?
17.05.2009 - 10:40
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by [user id=31891] on 17.05.2009 at 10:32

Written by +{Jonas}+ on 17.05.2009 at 02:38

would you mind to count some of those Elements?

you mean the thrashy???? they are obvious... i am sure you see them.. the point is you don't see the heavy metal ones. (i don't have anything against you-i am telling that cause in poll we have argued many times and i'd like you to know that)
----
17.05.2009 - 11:01
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
@Deadmeat, I can hear them but cant say that they are pure heavy, I mean no bands called heavy metal with such elements. but I can hear some absolute thrash metal elements as Solos for example.
17.05.2009 - 11:06
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by [user id=31891] on 17.05.2009 at 11:01

@Deadmeat, I can hear them but cant say that they are pure heavy, I mean no bands called heavy metal with such elements. but I can hear some absolute thrash metal elements as Solos for example.

no one said it is pure heavy no one said it is pure thrash. most people here claim that it has thrash moments but it IS not thrash.
----
17.05.2009 - 11:08
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Deadmeat on 17.05.2009 at 11:06

Written by [user id=31891] on 17.05.2009 at 11:01

no one said it is pure heavy no one said it is pure thrash. most people here claim that it has thrash moments but it IS not thrash.

yes I know its not a pure thrash, but I say its Based on thrash, and there is no doubt about it, at least for me.
17.05.2009 - 11:11
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
@Deadmeat, but if its not a pure Heavy Metal album, how can we Nominate it for best Heavy Metal Album of the year? this is a little weird.