Metal Storm logo
Looking for Songs/Bands with Christian/Spiritual lyrics

Original post

Posted by Dane Train, 02.08.2006 - 21:42
Hey guys!

So as the title says, I am looking for songs and or bands that have lyrics with a Christian or Spiritual message to them. Now, the bands does not have to be "Christian" for this. The reason I am looking for them is I am trying to build a large collection for worship, and any suggestions will be most helpful.

Some of the songs I currently use are:

'Crucify' - James LaBrie
'Safe Home' - Anthrax
'Image of the Invisible' - Thrice
'In Christ' - Living Sacrifice
'Superior' - Extol
'Rose Of Sharyn' - Killswitch Engage
'Fields of Despair' -DragonForce
'Fight' -Gamma Ray
'1000 Apologies' Demon Hunter
'In My Time Of Need' - Opeth
'Take Away My Pain' - Dream Theater
'Passion' - Stryper
'Recreation Day' - Evergrey
'I Will Follow' - Fear Factory
'Someone Else?' -Queensryche

The metal style doesn't matter. It can be Power metal to Black Metal.

Thanks for all your help,
Hemlock
12.04.2008 - 14:53
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
try Slayer...... they sing about religion
----
Coldgrits
13.04.2008 - 06:09
HugeTheConqeror
Holy Blood is a Christian Folk/Black Metal band from Ukraine. I haven't heard any of their stuff, but I have read good reviews for their Waves Are Dancing album.
Vanden Plas from Germany is pretty good - they are a prog metal band, and their Christian spirituality has influenced their work. On their album Christ0 they do a cover of "Gethsemane" from the musical Jesus Christ Superstar.
Also check out "After Forever" by Black Sabbath.
----
Pardon me while I wreak my vengeance.
14.04.2008 - 12:36
Aei Ontos
Account deleted
Holy Blood is very good, but they don't sing in English. So, if you want spiritual lyrics that you understand you'd better find another band.
Morphia is pretty good. They make some symphonic doommetal, some members are christian, some are not, so they are spiritual but not really dogmatic or so.
14.04.2008 - 20:05
Diminished2b
Account deleted
There's a band called Miseration,its fairly good death/melodic stuff.
Here's their myspace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=113889880
14.04.2008 - 21:58
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Virgin Black...
Good stuff, and the lyrics are beautiful...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
15.04.2008 - 19:31
HugeTheConqeror
I have also heard of a Christian Death/Thrash band called Discern. Again, I haven't heard any of their stuff, so I can't say if they're any good or not.
http://www.myspace.com/discerndeathmetal
----
Pardon me while I wreak my vengeance.
17.04.2008 - 00:31
Haightredy
August Burns Red are supposedly Christian Metal, I really don't know if they are or not, I'm not a listener of lyrics.
16.07.2008 - 16:15
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Dane Train on 03.08.2006 at 19:16

Thanks guys. Oh, on a side note, it would be great if you could could maybe post some of the lyrics, and also tell me why you chose them, and what style they are, like what Damnated did. thanks.

i realize it's a bit late to reply to this thread, but i found a great song with the message you are looking for, in one of the least likely bands to have such lyrics, with songs like Metal is Forever lol...: Primal Fear- Tears of Rage (it's about the search for God)
17.07.2008 - 02:08
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 16.07.2008 at 16:15

i realize it's a bit late to reply to this thread, but i found a great song with the message you are looking for, in one of the least likely bands to have such lyrics, with songs like Metal is Forever lol...: Primal Fear- Tears of Rage (it's about the search for God)

Thanks for the suggestion. I just looked up the lyrics and really liked them. I don't know this band, so I'll have to try and find some of their albums.
----
(space for rent)
17.07.2008 - 17:30
Conservationist
Slayer - South of Heaven

...about how life ends when you don't behave well as a species.

Atheist - An Incarnation's Dream

...this is the lyric Chuck from Death (who died of AIDS) was trying to rip off for years. It's about finding beauty in life, transcendental beauty.
18.07.2008 - 01:58
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Conservationist on 17.07.2008 at 17:30

Slayer - South of Heaven

...this is the lyric Chuck from Death (who died of AIDS) was trying to rip off for years. It's about finding beauty in life, transcendental beauty.

Two quick things here:

First, how are these songs related to Christianity?

Second, Chuck died from Pneumonia, as a result of a weakened immune system because of brain tumor.
----
(space for rent)
18.07.2008 - 02:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Dane Train on 18.07.2008 at 01:58

Slayer - South of Heaven

Two quick things here:

Second, Chuck died from Pneumonia, as a result of a weakened immune system because of brain tumor.

Thay are anti christianity like all Slayer songs, Slayer are one of those bands who even in nowdays uuse anti christian thinks, moust 80ties thrash bands who done it stopped, or never realy used but Slayer does it
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.07.2008 - 16:11
Conservationist
Written by Dane Train on 18.07.2008 at 01:58

Slayer - South of Heaven

Two quick things here:

Have you paid attention to the lyrics to "South of Heaven"? Durrrr....

Did you know the "Pneumonia" is the most common cause of death for AIDS patients? Brain tumors don't weaken immune systems, and doctors don't weaken immune systems unless... it's an auto-immune disease.

You've been lied to: CHUCK DIED OF AIDS.
18.07.2008 - 21:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
wtf and how aids are connevted whit religgion?
----

18.07.2008 - 22:24
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Conservationist on 18.07.2008 at 16:11

Have you paid attention to the lyrics to "South of Heaven"? Durrrr....

No I haven't paid attention to them because I don't like Slayer's music. That is why I asked how it related to the Christian faith and walk. There is really no need to be sarcastic and nasty about it.

Did you know the "Pneumonia" is the most common cause of death for AIDS patients? Brain tumors don't weaken immune systems, and doctors don't weaken immune systems unless... it's an auto-immune disease.

In May 1999, Schuldiner experienced pain in his upper neck, which he initially thought was a pinched nerve. He consulted with a chiropractor followed by a massage therapist/acupuncturist who recommended an MRI Exam. He was correct about the pinched nerve; unfortunately, it was being caused by a tumor. On his birthday, May 13, 1999, Schuldiner was diagnosed with pontine glioma, a type of brain cancer that invades the brain stem and immediately underwent radiation therapy.
In October 1999, Schuldiner's family announced that the tumor had necrotized and that he was on the way to recovery. In January 2000, Schuldiner underwent surgery to remove what remained of his tumor. The operation was a success, however, the Schuldiner family was struggling financially. The total costs of the operations would come to $70,000, a price the Schuldiner family could not afford. Many fundraisers, auctions, and benefit concerts took place to help cover the costs. The money began to come in as the metal community, in total shock, realized that Schuldiner's life was in danger. The metal community and the Schuldiner family showed deep concern because Schuldiner could lose his life due to lack of funds. The doctors who removed his tumor called the original diagnosis of pontine glioma a misdiagnosis.
Schuldiner continued to work on his music, continuing his work with Control Denied. About two years after his original diagnosis, in May 2001, the cancer returned and Schuldiner fell ill again. He was originally denied surgery (which he needed immediately) due to lack of funds. A press release called for support from everyone, including fellow artists. Jane Schuldiner urged all who read the statements about Schuldiner and his illness to go out and get insurance, showing her frustration in the American system. Schuldiner had gotten medical insurance after his first surgery, but the insurer had refused to pay because the tumor existed before he had gotten the insurance. Many artists, including Kid Rock, Korn and Red Hot Chili Peppers, got together in Summer 2001 to auction off personal items with the funds assisting Schuldiner's medical expenses. This was covered by MTV[13]. Schuldiner received a chemotherapy drug called vincristine to help with his therapy. Like most drugs used in the treatment of cancer, the side effects were harsh and weakened Chuck greatly. Undaunted, Schuldiner fought on. In late October/early November, Schuldiner became ill with pneumonia. He died on December 13, 2001, at approximately 4 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Shuldiner#Battle_with_cancer
----
(space for rent)
18.07.2008 - 22:30
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Dane Train on 18.07.2008 at 22:24

In May 1999, Schuldiner experienced pain in his upper neck, which he initially thought was a pinched nerve. He consulted with a chiropractor followed by a massage therapist/acupuncturist who recommended an MRI Exam. He was correct about the pinched nerve; unfortunately, it was being caused by a tumor. On his birthday, May 13, 1999, Schuldiner was diagnosed with pontine glioma, a type of brain cancer that invades the brain stem and immediately underwent radiation therapy.
In October 1999, Schuldiner's family announced that the tumor had necrotized and that he was on the way to recovery. In January 2000, Schuldiner underwent surgery to remove what remained of his tumor. The operation was a success, however, the Schuldiner family was struggling financially. The total costs of the operations would come to $70,000, a price the Schuldiner family could not afford. Many fundraisers, auctions, and benefit concerts took place to help cover the costs. The money began to come in as the metal community, in total shock, realized that Schuldiner's life was in danger. The metal community and the Schuldiner family showed deep concern because Schuldiner could lose his life due to lack of funds. The doctors who removed his tumor called the original diagnosis of pontine glioma a misdiagnosis.
Schuldiner continued to work on his music, continuing his work with Control Denied. About two years after his original diagnosis, in May 2001, the cancer returned and Schuldiner fell ill again. He was originally denied surgery (which he needed immediately) due to lack of funds. A press release called for support from everyone, including fellow artists. Jane Schuldiner urged all who read the statements about Schuldiner and his illness to go out and get insurance, showing her frustration in the American system. Schuldiner had gotten medical insurance after his first surgery, but the insurer had refused to pay because the tumor existed before he had gotten the insurance. Many artists, including Kid Rock, Korn and Red Hot Chili Peppers, got together in Summer 2001 to auction off personal items with the funds assisting Schuldiner's medical expenses. This was covered by MTV[13]. Schuldiner received a chemotherapy drug called vincristine to help with his therapy. Like most drugs used in the treatment of cancer, the side effects were harsh and weakened Chuck greatly. Undaunted, Schuldiner fought on. In late October/early November, Schuldiner became ill with pneumonia. He died on December 13, 2001, at approximately 4 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Shuldiner#Battle_with_cancer

shit! i've never really enjoyed Death that much, but that was one tragic story
18.07.2008 - 22:43
Conservationist
And what's the source? Oh, metal magazines that got their information from Chuck's family... and Chuck's family.

People never, ever lie about cause of death to obscure a nasty truth, do they?

Never
18.07.2008 - 23:17
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Conservationist on 18.07.2008 at 22:43

And what's the source? Oh, metal magazines that got their information from Chuck's family... and Chuck's family.

Never

So back on topic, could you please explain to me how Slayer's lyrics would fit into a Christian worship service?
----
(space for rent)
18.07.2008 - 23:24
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Conservationist on 18.07.2008 at 22:43

Never

Someone's spent too much time at ANUS... zomg, Chuck wrote a song which could possibly be conceived as pro-Christian! Must Persecute! Must Persecute!

but thanks for even more laughable posting material. i used to think the cementheaded metal fans were the best source of comedy on this site. you're continually making me re-think my position on that. the quasi-intellectuals are every bit as hilarious.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
19.07.2008 - 01:24
GRIGAL
Account deleted
Some of the following bands may or may not have been already mentioned in this forum...anyway this is my recommended list of White Metal bands:
Stryper
Whitecross
Believer
Betrayal
Holy Soldier
Mortification
Forsaken
Virgin Black
Saint
Barren Cross
Bloodgood
Levictus
Bride
Narnia
X-Sinner
Neon Cross
Chris Impellitteri

and lastly, but not least....
Black Sabbath
19.07.2008 - 03:09
Insineratehymn
Account deleted

lol wut
19.07.2008 - 21:05
Conservationist
Written by Dane Train on 18.07.2008 at 23:17

So back on topic, could you please explain to me how Slayer's lyrics would fit into a Christian worship service?

Dude, it's the book of revelations:

Quote:

An unforeseen future nestled somewhere in time.
Unsuspecting victims no warnings, no signs.
Judgment day the second coming arrives.
Before you see the light you must die.

Forgotten children, conform a new faith,
Avidity and lust controlled by hate.
[the] never ending search for your shattered sanity,
Souls of damnation in their own reality.

Chaos rampant,
An age of distrust.
Confrontations.
Impulsive habitat.

Bastard sons beget your cunting daughters,
Promiscuous mothers with your incestuous fathers.
Engreat souls condemned for [all] eternity,
Sustained by immoral observance a domineering deity.

Chaos rampant,
An age of distrust.
Confrontations.
Impulsive sabbath.

On and on, south of heaven [x 4]

Lead: king

The root of all evil is the heart of a black soul.
A force that has lived all eternity.
A never ending search for a truth never told.
The loss of all hope and your dignity.

Chaos rampant,
An age of distrust.
Confrontations.
Impulsive habitat.

On and on, south of heaven [x 4]

As far as a Christian service: it's a stupid idea to include metal at all, unless you wanted something to introduce a mood of contemplative reverence. Then, you should include Burzum and Summoning, maybe Woodtemple.
19.07.2008 - 21:06
Conservationist
Written by BitterCOld on 18.07.2008 at 23:24

the quasi-intellectuals are every bit as hilarious.

What separates an intellectual from a quasi/pseudo-intellectual? (new internet catchphrase)

I wouldn't identify myself as an intellectual, as a side note. "Intellectual" implies some pasty faggot living in a city with a degree from a city school.
19.07.2008 - 21:29
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Conservationist on 19.07.2008 at 21:05

Dude, it's the book of revelations:
As far as a Christian service: it's a stupid idea to include metal at all, unless you wanted something to introduce a mood of contemplative reverence. Then, you should include Burzum and Summoning, maybe Woodtemple.

A few quick things:

First, it is the John's Revelation not Revelations. Second, that song doesn't really seem to have anything to do with Revelation, it sounds more like Milton's Paradise Lost.

Third, why is it a stupid idea to have Metal in a Christian service? The ministry I pastor at has been using Metal in our services for over two years now. Could you please explain why it is stupid?
----
(space for rent)
19.07.2008 - 23:33
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Conservationist on 19.07.2008 at 21:05

dude, i don't wanna seem like i'm 'ganging up' on you or something, i'm not a christian anymore but the fault in your reasoning is that you're implying that ALL metal is anti-christian, which is clearly not true. the thing about the violence in metal mixing with christianity is the passion, the power of the vocals, of the drums etc, it can be used to exude an atmosphere of an avid search for god, a plea for him, for jesus, kind of like the movie The Passion of the Christ, which was over-the-top because it set out to include this idea of a spiritual search or something. it's all about the intensity of the feelings.

though i do realise that if Chris Barnes would be growling something like "Jesus Christ is the saviour" it would sound a bit weird lol
19.07.2008 - 23:51
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 19.07.2008 at 23:33

though i do realise that if Chris Barnes would be growling something like "Jesus Christ is the saviour" it would sound a bit weird lol

True, but when Andy Black screams out "I can scale the walls, I can move the mountains, I can slay the giants, with you on my side. I can raise the dead, I can free the nations, I can fly!" it seems to work.

Anyway, to hear a sample of the music used I have 10 of the 11 sections from a live recording loaded up online, and here are the m4a files for you to download for FREE!!! Some of this tracks are short little talk breaks between some songs. Funny stuff to hear as well.

A Sign and a Wonder
Image of the Invisible
Plane Landing
God is Love
Chaplin Steve learns about Moshing
Perfect
Jon Vomits and Magnum Opus
Take This Oath
Safe Home
Passion

Here is the page for the Archive info.
----
(space for rent)
20.07.2008 - 10:51
Hyvaarin
Written by [user id=10823] on 19.07.2008 at 01:24

Black Sabbath

I don't think that mentioning Christian ideas and using Christian imagery equates to being a "Christian band" or having "Christian lyrics".
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
20.07.2008 - 12:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Hyvaarin on 20.07.2008 at 10:51

Written by [user id=10823] on 19.07.2008 at 01:24

Black Sabbath

I don't think that mentioning Christian ideas and using Christian imagery equates to being a "Christian band" or having "Christian lyrics".

But thay isnt satanists even thay have no chrsitain lyrics, more dark, deep filosopfical in eraly years but crosses thay use like prottection
----

20.07.2008 - 21:57
Conservationist
Written by Valentin B on 19.07.2008 at 23:33

you're implying that ALL metal is anti-christian, which is clearly not true. the thing about the violence in metal mixing with christianity is the passion, the power of the vocals, of the drums etc, it can be used to exude an atmosphere of an avid search for god, a plea for him, for jesus, kind of like the movie The Passion of the Christ, which was over-the-top because it set out to include this idea of a spiritual search or something. it's all about the intensity of the feelings.

No, I'm not.

I also don't care what all metal does; I care what the actual leaders do.

Like you mentioned, who gives a shit what a third-rate Cannibal Corpse ripoff thinks? They're failures.

Christianity is about to fail as well. Practice your Arabic.
20.07.2008 - 23:11
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Conservationist on 20.07.2008 at 21:57

I also don't care what all metal does; I care what the actual leaders do.

Just curious, here; what leaders are you referring to?

Like you mentioned, who gives a shit what a third-rate Cannibal Corpse ripoff thinks? They're failures.

What band are you talking about here? I am not sure anyone mentioned anything about Cannibal Corpse or a band ripping them off.

Christianity is about to fail as well. Practice your Arabic.

Which is why it is growing at an unprecedented rate in China despite the governments attempts to stop it. As well being so large in many African countries that church services have to be held a dozen times a day just so everyone who wants to go can here it due to the fact that the churches can no longer hold the booming populations. Then there is also the home church movement in the USA, which is estimated to become the major form of spiritual community within the next decade. If anything Christianity has reached one of its strongest moments ever, and is only growing, not shrinking.
----
(space for rent)