Metal Storm logo
January 2023 update bugs

‹‹ Back to Bugs

Original post

Posted by corrupt, 14.01.2023 - 16:53
As announced in the news, we kindly ask you to report anything odd about the site that you think is new or want to bring up again here.

There are a few issues we already know about.

• The search function sometimes returns less results than before
  • Lists may have to be-relinked and some band tags may have stopped working

Feel free to bring anything else up here. We'll look into it and fix as necessary.
25.01.2023 - 00:20
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by nikarg on 23.01.2023 at 13:06
Mansion - Second Death 16.01.2023
Leprous - Aphelion 21.01.2023
Twilight Force - At The Heart Of Wintervale 22.01.2023

Those are done
----
28.01.2023 - 12:36
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Search is now fixed.
----
28.01.2023 - 17:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I tried say Милена (Milena) on shoutbox
Мил 077;на

Seems Cyrillic don't work on SB
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.01.2023 - 18:39
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Bad English on 28.01.2023 at 17:51
I tried say Милена (Milena) on shoutbox
Мил 077;на

Seems Cyrillic don't work on SB

Should work now.
----
29.01.2023 - 08:05
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Admin
I've got two:

A mild one: the "search topic" function in individual threads does not work. I've tried numerous searches for words and phrases I know are in the thread I'm in, and each time the search returns no results (and so I read the previous four pages to make sure my issues hadn't been brought up already, instead of searching for key words).

A very dangerous one, if you're irresponsible like Radu: the "preview" button on the submission page (for articles at least, I haven't tried reviews/news/etc.) actually deletes the text. You can successfully view the preview, but while on that page, if you click "back to editing", it brings you back to the submission page with an empty box where the article text should be. If you click "submit", it gives you an error saying that you need article text and again boots you back to the submission page.

Figures, the staff highlights article is one of the very, very few things I ever type directly into MS instead of in Word. Good thing I copied the text first just in case.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
29.01.2023 - 12:22
Abattoir
Staff
I've got one in connection with the editing of the existing tours: when I try to add support bands to the existing tour list, there's no change after the submission. Example: Overkill European tour - I've tried to add two support bands, Heathen and Exholder.
29.01.2023 - 12:58
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 29.01.2023 at 08:05
A mild one: the "search topic" function in individual threads does not work. I've tried numerous searches for words and phrases I know are in the thread I'm in, and each time the search returns no results (and so I read the previous four pages to make sure my issues hadn't been brought up already, instead of searching for key words).

A very dangerous one, if you're irresponsible like Radu: the "preview" button on the submission page (for articles at least, I haven't tried reviews/news/etc.) actually deletes the text. You can successfully view the preview, but while on that page, if you click "back to editing", it brings you back to the submission page with an empty box where the article text should be. If you click "submit", it gives you an error saying that you need article text and again boots you back to the submission page.

The former is fixed. That latter I just can't seem to reproduce. No matter if I edit an existing article or start a new one, I always end up with the text in full just where it should be if I click back to editing.
----
29.01.2023 - 13:40
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Abattoir on 29.01.2023 at 12:22
I've got one in connection with the editing of the existing tours: when I try to add support bands to the existing tour list, there's no change after the submission. Example: Overkill European tour - I've tried to add two support bands, Heathen and Exholder.

Oof. There's a whole bunch of shit broken with tours it seems. I fixed a logging issue, too where logs would be written with wrong parameters, then never shown but also never deleted, too. If you can, I'd appreciate if you could have a look at the logs every now and then and check if they show what you're expecting.

Adding and removing bands works now.
----
29.01.2023 - 16:49
nikarg
Staff
Written by corrupt on 29.01.2023 at 12:58

Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 29.01.2023 at 08:05

The former is fixed. That latter I just can't seem to reproduce. No matter if I edit an existing article or start a new one, I always end up with the text in full just where it should be if I click back to editing.

I edited and added bold tags to Yaniv's picks in the Highlights article, and, although 'back to editing' seemed to work fine, the changes were not visible when it got published (I was surprised that it got published instead of sent to author for approval, which is what normally happens). I tried again and figured out that the reason the changes weren't visible was that when I got back to the editing page, the changes I made were not there. Then I tried to publish from the preview page, without going back to editing, and I got the error message that SSUS mentioned that "Article text is required". However, the entire original text was there. I have now tried to publish it without previewing it, and it has been sent to the author (SSUS) for approval.

I have the whole text saved, of course, so that our editor doesn't get a stroke.
31.01.2023 - 16:47
Yaniv
עם ישראל חי
Staff
Apostrophe and Ampersand in band pages are messed up:
Paul Di'Anno appears as Paul Di & apos; Anno
Cain & Abel 90210 appears as Cain & amp ; Abel 90210

----
Free Israel from world stupidity
31.01.2023 - 23:05
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Yaniv on 31.01.2023 at 16:47
Apostrophe and Ampersand in band pages are messed up:

fixed
----
01.02.2023 - 11:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
TaravilyaionToday - 10:39 There's something wrong here.

https://metalstorm.net/bands/band.php?band_id=9921&bandname=Tchornobog

Also known as Eternium

I can't edit that.

TaravilyaionToday - 10:40 The [band ] [/ band] tags don't work.
----

apos;'
[image]
01.02.2023 - 12:46
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Bad English on 01.02.2023 at 11:05

TaravilyaionToday - 10:39 There's something wrong

First of all, the year in that "also known as" very clearly has a typo in it.
Second, why should band tags work in an "also known as" field? What should that link to when it's another name for the same band?
Third, if you see that the tag doesn't work, please remove it and don't leave a band's page in a messed-up state.
----
01.02.2023 - 16:58
Taravilyaion
1 & 3. As I already mentioned I can't add, edit or remove the "Also known as" section, so I do not know how it normally works.

2. It's quite useful for seeing their previous discography under the other band name.
----
"The best violence against one is the violence no one ever forgets.."
01.02.2023 - 22:14
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff
Special characters in user names are messed up: ä, ö, ü, ã, ø, ' and Σ.
----
signatures = SPAM
01.02.2023 - 22:41
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Starvynth on 01.02.2023 at 22:14
Special characters in user names are messed up: ä, ö, ü, ã, ø, ' and Σ.

fixed
----
02.02.2023 - 09:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Sort alphabetically dont work, links can not be done alphabetically when Official website is involved. Before we had Official website goes 1th, now seems its afabetical order
If you add other links OW will go last

Example Steve Riley's L.A. Guns
----

apos;'
[image]
02.02.2023 - 10:01
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Bad English on 02.02.2023 at 09:08

Sort alphabetically dont work, links can not be done alphabetically when Official website is involved. Before we had Official website goes 1th, now seems its afabetical order

It works if you remove the space at the end of "Official website"
----
02.02.2023 - 10:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by corrupt on 02.02.2023 at 10:01

Written by Bad English on 02.02.2023 at 09:08

It works if you remove the space at the end of "Official website"

My bad,
----

apos;'
[image]
04.02.2023 - 00:39
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by corrupt on 01.02.2023 at 12:46

Second, why should band tags work in an "also known as" field? What should that link to when it's another name for the same band?
Third, if you see that the tag doesn't work, please remove it and don't leave a band's page in a messed-up state.

This is for bands like Lamb Of God / Burn The Priest where the separate profiles used to be linked with band tags in the aka section.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
04.02.2023 - 20:09
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
By more popular demand than I had anticipated, account deletions are now back. Anyone desperately trying to leave the site, rejoice!
----
05.02.2023 - 11:28
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff
For some strange reason, book reviews are linked to random band profiles.
The weird thing is that it's not a permanent thing, I've seen the same reviews on Tribunal's profile page.

edit: the reviews have found a new temporary home here here.
----
signatures = SPAM
05.02.2023 - 23:54
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Not sure where else to put this, but really appreciate fix of the "New Releases" in the updates page!
06.02.2023 - 09:15
nikarg
Staff
The comments section is gone here. Also, I get a message from my browser that the page is missing and if I want to check for a saved version on the Wayback Machine.
06.02.2023 - 12:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by LeKiwi on 05.02.2023 at 23:54

Not sure where else to put this, but really appreciate fix of the "New Releases" in the updates page!

yes its good, but since its broken I save manually new releases name-date to my PC to not miss it.
----

apos;'
[image]
06.02.2023 - 13:07
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by LeKiwi on 05.02.2023 at 23:54

Thanks. That was accidental though. I was never able to figure out why things didn‘t work on the live site but did on our staging setup. I only realized what the problem was, after people pointed out it works again.

----
06.02.2023 - 23:49
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by nikarg on 06.02.2023 at 09:15
The comments section is gone here. Also, I get a message from my browser that the page is missing and if I want to check for a saved version on the Wayback Machine.

The comments section is fixed. The rest of that post I don't understand
----
07.02.2023 - 00:03
nikarg
Staff
Written by corrupt on 06.02.2023 at 23:49

The rest of that post I don't understand

No worries, that was fixed too.
07.02.2023 - 14:59
Embridioum
Written by corrupt on 15.01.2023 at 17:38

Written by Sangre Sani on 15.01.2023 at 16:01
The RSS feed got fucked, I believe.

You need to change http to https and it should work.

The protocol scheme didn't have anything to do with the validation issues at all. Our feed generator declared the atom namespace in the wrong tag.

I re-generated all feeds. They all validate according to the w3c feed validator now. There are still issues with the description field apparently not being correctly escaped but I'm triaging here and that'll have to wait until later.

We were also (originally intentionally) abusing the author field by putting in MS usernames instead of e-mail addresses. I switched that out to dc:creator. Let me know whether or not that shows up in your aggregator please

Sorry I'm late. I just discovered that the RSS bot I have in Telegram is borked since January 13th. It doesn't accept https://metalstorm.net/rss/news.xml as an URL.

"Seems that it's not a valid RSS feed link. Please try again.
Note that you can set up autoposting only for public RSS feeds."
07.02.2023 - 19:24
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Embridioum on 07.02.2023 at 14:59
Sorry I'm late. I just discovered that the RSS bot I have in Telegram is borked since January 13th. It doesn't accept https://metalstorm.net/rss/news.xml as an URL.

"Seems that it's not a valid RSS feed link. Please try again.
Note that you can set up autoposting only for public RSS feeds."

I‘m not using telegram so I need your help to debug that. There‘s two possibilities. Either it expects a certain content-type header (that I can‘t check right now because I‘m on the go, but should be correct), or your bot is not equipped to realize we‘re including another schema now and refer to its tags. A specific error message would be helpful, especially if it points out the part of a feed where validation fails.

The fact that twitter seems to plan charging for their public API will likely force me to abandon that bot soon and at that point I may add even more features to the feed like preview images. So if your bot fails because of multiple schemas, that‘s an upstream thing. Still, error message would help.
----