Metal Storm logo
Study shows heavy metal fans are "gentle and creative."

Original post

Posted by Dane Train, 07.09.2008 - 00:33
I just read this article and found it was kind of interesting. What do you all think of this study? Article. Are Metalheads really creative and gentle? Are there good examples of this? Or was this "study" based on bad research?

---

Moderator edit: As the link above has ceased working, you can read about it at here instead:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7598549.stm
29.06.2011 - 15:13
Sophist
Very interesting.
I want to take part as well.

But I don't think that the results are in any way able to represent the whole population.
04.07.2011 - 16:18
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
Fits me. I'm the best student in my class, too.
04.07.2011 - 18:43
Costa
I can easily remember been stereotyped because some people found out that I like heavy metal. And I really hate that?
So I prefer to be just a common person who, among other genres, likes Heavy Metal.

At most I look at this as statistics about the music genres people listen. And statistics says that if half of the world eats a chicken per day and the other half are starving on the average there's no problem, every one eats half a chicken per day.
So it means what it means? Each one is like she/he is.
04.07.2011 - 19:54
Edmund Fogg
Written by Costa on 04.07.2011 at 18:43

I can easily remember been stereotyped because some people found out that I like heavy metal. And I really hate that?
So I prefer to be just a common person who, among other genres, likes Heavy Metal.

At most I look at this as statistics about the music genres people listen. And statistics says that if half of the world eats a chicken per day and the other half are starving on the average there's no problem, every one eats half a chicken per day.

+1
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
20.07.2011 - 09:09
Plague
THAT'S FUCKIN BULLSHIT, I WOULD BEAT THE SHIT OUTTA THE MUTHAFUCKER WHO THOUGHT THAT UP>>> LOL. J/K.

Umm. I actually agree. In fact, you don't see Heavy Metal gangs running around drug dealing and shooting ppl the way u see some hip hop kids do.
----
Darkness is part of your nature...embrace it and emancipate your evil wickedness!
Infernal soldiers demonized,
Fucked up angels sodomized,
Face of the earth dechristianized
The universe...SATANIZED!
22.07.2011 - 19:43
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by [user id=34558] on 22.07.2011 at 19:40

Extreme Metal is like Ritalin, it let you concentrate better, with its function to compensate aggressions and making you brain work with all the braeks, solos.., its like Classic Music. Therefore many people in higher education are metal heads.

LOL wtf are you saying. Higher education, that certainly doesn't apply to me and Im one big fan of Extreme Metal... (Grind, Death, Thrash, TDM). Its just a matter of musical taste it has nothing to do with how you've been educated
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
27.07.2011 - 17:41
I am good at creative things. But not gentle, LOL. I went to the Trivium concert in Cork City when I was 18 and when I met someone from the mosh pit the day after he introduced me to his friend saying 'This is Jessica. She's a fucking animal.' He was twice my size, lol.
----
Abortion isn't murder. It's a perfectly good way to make smoothies.
29.09.2012 - 05:37
Evil Chip
Sociology... How can you meseaure with quantified measures a quality like personality. How the fuck can you measure creativity?
29.09.2012 - 13:19
Angry Chair
Their descriprion fits me perfectly.

Must mean I'm a true metalhead........lets not start that again lol
----
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot
02.10.2012 - 19:37
nana.MD
Star-Queen
I agree with most of it, except the low self-esteem...we are quite delicate things awwww
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
02.10.2012 - 21:12
Fredd
Account deleted
Cynic Metalhead's mere existence disproves it, period.
02.10.2012 - 21:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by [user id=114127] on 02.10.2012 at 21:12

Hey, that's simply not true. Cynic Metalhead is exceptionally creative at coming up with bullshit, nonsensical English language sentences.
02.10.2012 - 21:23
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by [user id=4365] on 02.10.2012 at 21:20

Hey, that's simply not true. Cynic Metalhead is exceptionally creative at coming up with bullshit, nonsensical English language sentences.

And he's quite a gentle rapist too.

(psst, i have him on the ignore list, so tell me if he replies)
02.10.2012 - 21:23
Cynic Metalhead
Ambrish Saxena
Written by [user id=4365] on 02.10.2012 at 21:20

Written by [user id=114127] on 02.10.2012 at 21:12

Hey mom!

What you doing from his account?
02.10.2012 - 21:50
theFIST
I think there"s "creative" in too many of the descriptions
not such a big part of the adult population is....
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:

03.10.2012 - 08:24
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I think it depends on the kind of metal. If it's like death, thrash, or black metal I wouldn't think so. But maybe some softer or more complicated form of metal, like prog or something?
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
10.10.2012 - 10:09
ANGEL REAPER
Written by CobiWan1993 on 03.10.2012 at 08:24

I think it depends on the kind of metal. If it's like death, thrash, or black metal I wouldn't think so. But maybe some softer or more complicated form of metal, like prog or something?

why do you think so? because you favorite prog stuff?
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
11.10.2012 - 12:21
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Varg gently burned some buildings and creativly said how Euronomous died?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
11.10.2012 - 21:51
Zombie94
Well it's already been said a thousand times at this point, but it can probably never be emphasised enough just what a crock of shit this is.

As if there is no such thing as an aggressive and uncreative metalhead. :
12.10.2012 - 11:10
ANGEL REAPER
Written by M C Vice on 11.10.2012 at 12:21

Varg gently burned some buildings and creativly said how Euronomous died?

best sentence on this forum in past 2 weeks... thanks man
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
10.03.2013 - 03:36
skrog1
It definitely depends on the person but I suppose it makes sense to me to say that metalheads are more more gentile and creative. The music is the way for metalheads to vent their frustrations and "exercise their demons" so to speak. And most metal is pretty well thought out and complex. I dunno. I mean, I feel that each individual is responsible for their own reasons to be involved with anything they do but if we need to stereotype metalheads, I'd say I believe it.
----
LIKE THE OFFICIAL SKROG FACEBOOK PAGE TODAY!!!!

http://facebook.com/Skrogband
10.03.2013 - 14:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by skrog1 on 10.03.2013 at 03:36

and "exercise their demons"

what is the exercise regime you subject them to?

Clearly you mean "exorcise their demons"
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.03.2013 - 22:25
skrog1
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.03.2013 at 14:04

Written by skrog1 on 10.03.2013 at 03:36

and "exercise their demons"

what is the exercise regime you subject them to?

Clearly you mean "exorcise their demons"

Naw, I mean exercise! I make 'em do pushups 'til they puke!!!!!!!

Ha ha ha.. ha.. ha..

um...

Shit.
----
LIKE THE OFFICIAL SKROG FACEBOOK PAGE TODAY!!!!

http://facebook.com/Skrogband
14.03.2013 - 20:51
Jpageforever
You can't really conclude that all people that listen to a certain genre of music have any specific personality traits or act a certain way. Listening to a type of music doesn't limit me to acting a certain way.
15.03.2013 - 14:59
Jtbmetal123
It actually fits me because I don't usually fight unless I need to I try t talk things out. So yeah, very interesting man. Thanks for sharing.
06.10.2014 - 04:18
Creativinity
Dunno if it matters, but I was at the top of my class, was the best artist in school, the fastest in math, typing, reading books, and people tell me I'm the nicest person they've ever met. Oh, and I'm all about listening to metal 100% of the time, even when I go to sleep and when I wake up.
06.10.2014 - 10:40
no one
Account deleted
another thread draaagged up from the past
07.10.2014 - 08:29
Ganondox
Written by Costa on 04.07.2011 at 18:43

This isn't stereotyping, it's generalizing, there is a pretty big difference. For one, the stereotypical metalhead is the opposite of what the study found. Also, the chicken analogy is bs, because statisticians would account for that, they would noticed if there was two separate populations like that, it would result in an abnormally high standard of deviation for one.

Anyway, I think it's a decently accurate generalization, but obviously it's not true for everyone. It definitely describes me.

Written by Evil Chip on 29.09.2012 at 05:37

Sociology... How can you meseaure with quantified measures a quality like personality. How the fuck can you measure creativity?

You use operationalized definitions which are both objective and qualitative. Obviously they aren't the exact same thing as what they are trying to measure, and that's where validity comes in. Anyway, the Big 5 traits, which is what is being used here, is one of the most studied personality indexes, and it has proven to do very well.
18.10.2014 - 18:27
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
I'm not surprised by this study.

Also, what might mean something, many metal fans tend to be Atheist, demographics have shown that Atheists are less likely to commit a violent crime, so that might play into it a little bit.
20.10.2014 - 08:43
Ganondox
Written by [user id=160] on 18.10.2014 at 18:27

I'm not surprised by this study.

Also, what might mean something, many metal fans tend to be Atheist, demographics have shown that Atheists are less likely to commit a violent crime, so that might play into it a little bit.

I doubt that has anything to do with it, that seems to just be confusing correlation with causation.