Metal Storm logo
Best Canadian Metal Band

Original post

Posted by Endoftherainbow, 28.06.2006 - 09:19
I had created another topic similar to this on the old forum "What Canadian Death Metal Band is best?" but now I have decided I want to create a new thread but more broad. Canada is home to many great metal bands especially in the genre of death metal. What Canadian Metal Band do you think is best and why? What is your favorite album by the band? What do you think of the other Canadian bands? Please refrain from picking other if your choice is Rush because I don't want them included in this pole because I don't consider them metal.

I couldn't chose between two bands so my favorite Canadian Metal bands are Quo Vadis and Devin Townsend. Devin Townsend because they put on a great live show and all of their albums are amazing. My favorite Devin Townsend album is Infinity because it has my favorite song by them "Bad Devil". Quo Vadis because they are the best Technical Death Metal band in my opinion. All of their albums are great but my favorite is Defiant Imagination. Their riffs are amazing and Yanic Berciers drumming is untouchable IMO.

Other Canadian bands that I like are Cryptopsy, Into Eternity, Kataklysm, Strapping Young Lad, and Annihilator.

Poll

What Canadian Band is best?

Annihilator
Other
Strapping Young Lad
Kataklysm
Quo Vadis
Cryptopsy
Into Eternity
Gorguts
Martyr

Total votes: 230
11.06.2008 - 14:04
TheBigRossowski
Written by SlaytallicA on 10.06.2008 at 17:22

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.06.2008 at 16:54

Cryptopsy used to be awesome

...At least their's last album sucks!

Yeah, but just read my words after the concert in "The Unspoken King" thread/ review. Matt was fuckin' awesome live, he sounded good, but a bit too much mic-cupping.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
14.06.2008 - 16:32
ß
Problem?
I was going to vote Cryptopsy but you can obviously see why i didn't vote for them so I voted for other
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
31.08.2008 - 13:28
Elio
Red Nightmare
Where is Voivod?:(
btw from the list I would choose Cryptopsy.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
01.09.2008 - 02:07
Iron Priest
Written by Elio on 31.08.2008 at 13:28

Where is Voivod?:(
btw from the list I would choose Cryptopsy.

Yeah they should of been an obvious choice. I voted other for Forgotten Tales
09.09.2008 - 00:00
nana.MD
Star-Queen
...i haven't heard or known about voivod before this thread he...im checking them out right now, the music is ok but i don't like the vocals...imo quo vadis & martyr r the best bands...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
09.09.2008 - 02:25
brapp32
I have to go with threat signal. I think they're the only Canadian band I listen to. I was happy to see they have a new album coming out next year. It's been a while since they put out something new. I'm gonna see them at the end of the month.
09.09.2008 - 03:11
Opethienne
Account deleted
I like Strapping Young Lad, but also Quo Vadis and Augury !
09.09.2008 - 03:59
Richard
Elite
I'm not much into Devin Townsend's stuff, but I do really like the song 'Bad Devil' as mentioned in the original post!

And talking about unusual, quirky Canadian music, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Unexpect in this thread yet! I really admire Unexpect - so completely off the wall, combining various sub-genres and switching between them every few seconds, with loads of different things going on all the time... Yet they still somehow manage to make their songs 'flow' properly, with quite memorable and catchy hooks. Particularly the album 'In A Flesh Aquarium' takes 'progressive metal' into a whole new level, and must've been a headache and a half to compose, let alone perform and record to such a high standard.
----
09.09.2008 - 13:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Richard on 09.09.2008 at 03:59

I'm not much into Devin Townsend's stuff, but I do really like the song 'Bad Devil' as mentioned in the original post!

And talking about unusual, quirky Canadian music, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Unexpect in this thread yet! I really admire Unexpect - so completely off the wall, combining various sub-genres and switching between them every few seconds, with loads of different things going on all the time... Yet they still somehow manage to make their songs 'flow' properly, with quite memorable and catchy hooks. Particularly the album 'In A Flesh Aquarium' takes 'progressive metal' into a whole new level, and must've been a headache and a half to compose, let alone perform and record to such a high standard.

Knowing your music taste you probobly like Slaughter(not US glam band) realy old school death metal, something like Possessed ''7 Churches'' probobly only such band in Canada
''Starpado'' are only album from band, + some demo and best of

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=376
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.09.2008 - 02:04
ß
Problem?
To think of it now I should of voted Quo Vadis. Very technical and melodic at the same time and awesome riffs too.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
11.09.2008 - 05:32
nana.MD
Star-Queen
Written by ß on 10.09.2008 at 02:04

To think of it now I should of voted Quo Vadis. Very technical and melodic at the same time and awesome riffs too.

...quo vadis is just amazing!! every song is great, love the growls...specially the 1st one in silence calls the storm, live
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
11.09.2008 - 05:45
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Other - Rush

Just look at the sheer influence and longevity, no other band even compares.
11.09.2008 - 06:00
Richard
Elite
Written by Introspekrieg on 11.09.2008 at 05:45

Other - Rush

Fair enough, but please read the first post where the thread starter specifically said: "Please refrain from picking other if your choice is Rush because I don't want them included in this pole because I don't consider them metal."
----
11.09.2008 - 06:16
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by Richard on 11.09.2008 at 06:00

Written by Introspekrieg on 11.09.2008 at 05:45

Other - Rush

Fair enough, but please read the first post where the thread starter specifically said: "Please refrain from picking other if your choice is Rush because I don't want them included in this pole because I don't consider them metal."

I apologize... with the polls sometimes I don't even get to reading before I vote (itchy trigger finger.)
I revert my "other" choice to Devin Townsend, not SYL, his solo work.
11.09.2008 - 18:08
EaTNaLiVe666
Account deleted
Kataklysm, I've loved Kataklysm since I first heard them.. which was unfortunately after they played live in my city.
12.09.2008 - 21:48
buki of steel
Crystal Ann
annihlator all the way... jeff waters is fucking amazing as a musician and as a person
30.09.2008 - 05:00
Toast
Account deleted
I voted for other. Exciter for the fucking win! The best Speed/Thrash band Canada's ever produced imo (cept for maybe Razor), and i'd rank them right up there with my favourite Thrash bands from anywhere in the world.
30.09.2008 - 15:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=34045] on 30.09.2008 at 05:00

I voted for other. Exciter for the fucking win! The best Speed/Thrash band Canada's ever produced imo (cept for maybe Razor), and i'd rank them right up there with my favourite Thrash bands from anywhere in the world.

Yeah great band from 80's real legend, hope more young metalheads will listeh it
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.09.2008 - 15:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

Although I really enjoy Exciter's first two (the rest I totally dislike) I rate Infernal Majesty, VoiVod, Sacrifice, Annihilator's first two higher when it comes to Canadian thrash,
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.09.2008 - 15:49
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Annihilator...among the bands in poll i've only heard Annihilator, Cryptopsy, Strapping Young Lad and Into Eternity works.
what about Kittie? Everything else aside, Morgan's screams are really annoying...
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
30.09.2008 - 22:01
Dragonforce89
Account deleted
I dont know any band from Canada.
01.10.2008 - 00:53
Toast
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.09.2008 at 15:24

Although I really enjoy Exciter's first two (the rest I totally dislike) I rate Infernal Majesty, VoiVod, Sacrifice, Annihilator's first two higher when it comes to Canadian thrash,

Difference of opinion I guess. Long Live the Loud just may be my favourite Canadian metal album.
I've only heard some songs on Nothingface (supposedly their best) by Voivod and it didn't pull me in at all. I like Annilhilator though (their first 4 albums mostly), and never heard of the other 2 bands; Need to check those out for sure!
03.10.2008 - 00:54
Branzig
I went with my own pick...

The almighty BLASPHEMY!

Their 89' release, "Blood Upon The Altar," was extremely influential to all forms of extreme metal. Their later releases (along with the Finnish metal band Beherit) would help pave the way for the powerful genre, War Metal.
----
In Grind We Crust
03.10.2008 - 01:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Branzig on 03.10.2008 at 00:54

I went with my own pick...

The almighty BLASPHEMY!

Their 89' release, "Blood Upon The Altar," was extremely influential to all forms of extreme metal. Their later releases (along with the Finnish metal band Beherit) would help pave the way for the powerful genre, War Metal.

Although I don't like them at all. I can totally understand that people would pick them here. As you said they were "extremely influential to all forms of extreme metal. Their later releases (along with the Finnish metal band Beherit) would help pave the way for the powerful genre, War Metal."
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.10.2008 - 01:20
Branzig
Quote:
Although I don't like them at all. I can totally understand that people would pick them here. As you said they were "extremely influential to all forms of extreme metal. Their later releases (along with the Finnish metal band Beherit) would help pave the way for the powerful genre, War Metal."

Yea, plus we are talking about one of the crappiest countries; Canada...they don't have a whole lot to work with...

HAHA Just Kidding Guys
----
In Grind We Crust
03.10.2008 - 01:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Quote:
Written by Branzig on 03.10.2008 at 01:20

Yea, plus we are talking about one of the crappiest countries; Canada...they don't have a whole lot to work with...

HAHA Just Kidding Guys

There I beg to differ

Your holy Blashphemy

Rush
Slaughter (NOT the US glam band)
VoiVod
Infernal Majesty
Anvil
Exciter
Rush
Annihilator
Strapping Young Lad
Devin Townsend Band
Sacrifice
Nadja
Rapid Tears
D.B.C. ( Dead Brain Cells)
Eidolon
Mastery
Obliveon
Piledriver
Psychicthrob
Quo Vadis
Martyr
Kataklysm
Razor
Wold
Gorguts
Cryptopsy
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.10.2008 - 03:23
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Quote:
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.10.2008 at 01:38

Written by Branzig on 03.10.2008 at 01:20

HAHA Just Kidding Guys

There I beg to differ

Your holy Blashphemy

Rush
Slaughter (NOT the US glam band)
VoiVod
Infernal Majesty
Anvil
Exciter
Rush
Annihilator
Strapping Young Lad
Devin Townsend Band
Sacrifice
Nadja
Rapid Tears
D.B.C. ( Dead Brain Cells)
Eidolon
Mastery
Obliveon
Piledriver
Psychicthrob
Quo Vadis
Martyr
Kataklysm
Razor
Wold
Gorguts
Cryptopsy

Divinity
3 Inches of BLood
Into Eternity
Woods Of Ypres

Just to tack on a few more. Besides I also look at it this way: This year my city was only one of two cities chosen on Metallicas latest tour to have two dates in one city, the same thing happened with the Dream Theater/Opeth tour. Iron Maiden tickets sold out faster here than any other date on the NA tour (the tour they just finished), or so I've heard from multiple people around Calgary. Monsters Of Rock was also sold out here, and it was in a large football stadium, they also said they plan on booking it here next year (hopefully it wasn't just crowd banter). All of these things shows there is a big market for here, so naturally there is going to be a hell of a lot of up coming bands, but like any music genre a lot of the great stuff is buried in obscurity.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
03.10.2008 - 20:32
Branzig
Quote:
Quote:

Divinity
3 Inches of BLood
Into Eternity
Woods Of Ypres

I saw 3 Inches Of Blood not to long ago, they opened for GWAR. I was really surprised. They went beyond my expectations. A lot like a thrashier Mercyful Fate. Catchy too. Good stuff.
----
In Grind We Crust
03.10.2008 - 23:53
-Morbid-
I think Beneath the Massacre is also from Canada, they are pretty good from what I've heard from them.

As to which is my favorite, I dunno I can't really pick, every band on the list has some really good stuff. I haven't heard much from Quo Vadis and only one album from Martyr, but if the rest of their stuff is as good as the stuff I've heard then I would go with one of those two I think.
05.10.2008 - 13:50
Charly546
Why poll only lists death and thrash metal bands? (Yes, I'm aware of the "Other" option, but still)