Metal Storm logo
Funeral doom

Original post

Posted by Damnated, 19.05.2006 - 08:49
One of the most underground style's of metal, with very talented bands. I have been listening to a lot of funeral doom lately, and I really like it. The slowness and the atmosphere is just amazing. My fav bands from this genre would be Shape Of Despair, Nortt, Worship, Remembrence, Pantheist, Tyranny, Skepticism, just to mention the daily bands. What about you guys?
18.02.2007 - 18:09
Damnated
Churchburner
a very good band is the american EA. they released a full length in the end of last year. highly recommended.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
18.04.2007 - 14:08
Dub
Account deleted
Brilliant style of music. Will be seeing Esoteric this Friday with Anaal Nathrakh (granted weird choice of support...)
Wreck of the Hesperus, Funeral Doom from Ireland I think
Plus Stabat Mater, side project of Miko Aspaa.

I'm currently working on my own personal blackened funeral doomish project, similar to Nortt and Forgotten Tomb (a bit more suicidal black metal than actual Funeral Doom...but still) at the moment in time.
PM me for details.
20.04.2007 - 17:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Damnated on 18.02.2007 at 18:09

a very good band is the american EA. they released a full length in the end of last year. highly recommended.

I agree man good band I dounloud album awsome music I lsitening it now
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.04.2007 - 17:49
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 18.02.2007 at 18:09

Yes, they're pretty interesting, and all that occult imaginery is great for funeral doom, if you ask me...

I laughed as fuck once when I read a review where the guy labelled them as "funeral emo"
20.04.2007 - 17:51
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Lol, Funeral Emo. I must check it out.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
21.04.2007 - 11:51
Damnated
Churchburner
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
21.04.2007 - 20:20
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Doesn't work for me. Can you send it to me on MSN once?
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
13.05.2007 - 18:06
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
*bump*
----

13.06.2007 - 12:54
DoOm MaKeR
Funeral is the life!!!
check out "until death overtakes me", and "mornfull congregation".
Majestic, depressive, funeral , and funeral... when life is the last thing you think about!
----
knowing that i'm doomed. hundreds of volumes of text. pictures, words, learning. my love, my art, my knowledge...covered by the arms of the sea.
Morgion - Ebb Tide
13.06.2007 - 13:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
i just listen Ahab German Funeral doom band awsoem great but i know funeral doom lyrics are simple but I dont understand what Ahab try to say
----

13.06.2007 - 15:49
Vunts
Written by Bad English on 13.06.2007 at 13:04

i just listen Ahab German Funeral doom band awsoem great but i know funeral doom lyrics are simple but I dont understand what Ahab try to say

Ahab's full release is about the book 'Moby Dick' so that's what their lyrics are about. I haven't read them in order, so I don't know if they are progressive, like the 1st song is the 1st chapter and so on, or something.
13.06.2007 - 15:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Vunts on 13.06.2007 at 15:49

Written by Bad English on 13.06.2007 at 13:04

Ahab's full release is about the book 'Moby Dick' so that's what their lyrics are about. I haven't read them in order, so I don't know if they are progressive, like the 1st song is the 1st chapter and so on, or something.

I read lyrics but dunno bock and movie so i cant realy say
----

15.06.2007 - 03:01
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by DoOm MaKeR on 13.06.2007 at 12:54

Funeral is the life!!!
check out "until death overtakes me", and "mornfull congregation".
Majestic, depressive, funeral , and funeral... when life is the last thing you think about!

"Until Death Overtakes Me" are indeed an awesome band, their monolithic air is rather blood-chilling and they're aboe to create dreadful, yet beautiful soundscapes... my favourite album by them is "Prelude To Monolithe"

An interesting Funeral Doom band that should be checked by every lover of the genre is 1000 Funerals, from Iran. They create extremely dense, harsh but at the same time thrilling funeral doom... too bad the band broke up, as the guy behind it got married, and his wife made take a desition between her, and metal... and unfortunately, he chose the wrong desition.
15.06.2007 - 09:48
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
That'll only mean we have him back in a couple of years, even more depressed.
----

18.06.2007 - 22:06
DoOm MaKeR
Written by Lucas on 15.06.2007 at 09:48

That'll only mean we have him back in a couple of years, even more depressed.
[/quot

cool.. u r really doom!
----
knowing that i'm doomed. hundreds of volumes of text. pictures, words, learning. my love, my art, my knowledge...covered by the arms of the sea.
Morgion - Ebb Tide
19.06.2007 - 09:37
Bulldozer
Account deleted
Written by [user id=5080] on 15.06.2007 at 03:01

An interesting Funeral Doom band that should be checked by every lover of the genre is 1000 Funerals, from Iran. They create extremely dense, harsh but at the same time thrilling funeral doom... too bad the band broke up, as the guy behind it got married, and his wife made take a desition between her, and metal... and unfortunately, he chose the wrong desition.

Actually the one behind this project was not a guy - it was "Pixie". Her husband was against metal. That is really sad and funny in a way. I mean, like: "listen, darling, it's either me or the evil music - it's your decision!"
15.10.2007 - 13:24
Esoptron
Account deleted
Well i would suggest the following bands to those who really like the whole Doom metal...

Check Thergothon one of the creators of the genre...They have realeased only a Demo and the album"Stream from the Heavens''.Both are a must for a good funeral doom collection...They might seem boring to someone who has not listened to this genre but with a few listening will for sure find the beuty of their music...Skepticism...i will not write for them just listen to their music and you will understand why i dont write...

Pantheist is a newer band in Funeral Doom,they count seven years of existence if am not wrong but in those years have offered great albums...I believe that they will sutisfy even people who are not into Doom metal generally...They have Church imaginery and with good listening you will notice the influence of church music to them and i dont mean just the church organs...Amartia is a very strong release and Pains of Sleep which consists of an EP and 2 new songs is very poetic and i suggest it...

Evoken also can be interesting not just to doomsters but also to those who like atmosphairic music...Judging from the Albums"Emrace the Emptiness""Antithesis of Light"and"Quietus"they combine depression along with the anger of raw doom death...

Nortt who come from Denmark are aslo a must i believe...Their music is so cold and depressing that embraces the listener with sad feelings...They have been described as Black Funeral Doom metal...i dont like give extension to the categorization...If you want to listen a brief history of them check then Mournful Monuments which is a compilation and if you like it then listen to Gudsforladt and their demos are really worth listening to...

Forest of Shadows are one of my favourite of the kind...I have only the demo and Departure havent heard yet Where Dreams Turn to Dust so i will write my opinion from the ones i know...Simply one of the most lyrical,poetical and beautiful bands ever...Their music is guarentee for doomsters who are into funeral...

Shape of Depsair are also one of the best funeral doom bands at the time...All releases are really magic and carrying you away...

These are some bands which i believe will sutisfy you...
15.10.2007 - 13:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=26341] on 15.10.2007 at 13:24

Well i would suggest the following bands to those who really like the whole Doom metal...

Check Thergothon one of the creators of the genre...They have realeased only a Demo and the album"Stream from the Heavens''.Both are a must for a good funeral doom collection...They might seem boring to someone who has not listened to this genre but with a few listening will for sure find the beuty of their music...Skepticism...i will not write for them just listen to their music and you will understand why i dont write...

Pantheist is a newer band in Funeral Doom,they count seven years of existence if am not wrong but in those years have offered great albums...I believe that they will sutisfy even people who are not into Doom metal generally...They have Church imaginery and with good listening you will notice the influence of church music to them and i dont mean just the church organs...Amartia is a very strong release and Pains of Sleep which consists of an EP and 2 new songs is very poetic and i suggest it...

Evoken also can be interesting not just to doomsters but also to those who like atmosphairic music...Judging from the Albums"Emrace the Emptiness""Antithesis of Light"and"Quietus"they combine depression along with the anger of raw doom death...

Nortt who come from Denmark are aslo a must i believe...Their music is so cold and depressing that embraces the listener with sad feelings...They have been described as Black Funeral Doom metal...i dont like give extension to the categorization...If you want to listen a brief history of them check then Mournful Monuments which is a compilation and if you like it then listen to Gudsforladt and their demos are really worth listening to...

Forest of Shadows are one of my favourite of the kind...I have only the demo and Departure havent heard yet Where Dreams Turn to Dust so i will write my opinion from the ones i know...Simply one of the most lyrical,poetical and beautiful bands ever...Their music is guarentee for doomsters who are into funeral...

Shape of Depsair are also one of the best funeral doom bands at the time...All releases are really magic and carrying you away...

These are some bands which i believe will sutisfy you...

Good post and also Kosta from pantheist are greek and also green but also greek band Tomb Of... thay are awsome too and I like all bands what you mnetion here, realy great bands but try sweeds The Funeral Orchestra, thay are awsome too and look to Chilian scene lil bit
----

15.10.2007 - 14:05
Esoptron
Account deleted
Tomb of... are from Thessaloniki and of course i know them...They have released several Demo Cds and i think they have released and an EP.I did not mention them because i believe that the bands i mentioned above are some of the first someone should listen...The Funeral Orchestra i have not heard of...if you believe that they worth PM me
15.10.2007 - 14:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=26341] on 15.10.2007 at 14:05

Tomb of... are from Thessaloniki and of course i know them...They have released several Demo Cds and i think they have released and an EP.I did not mention them because i believe that the bands i mentioned above are some of the first someone should listen...The Funeral Orchestra i have not heard of...if you believe that they worth PM me

I like Tomb Of but all bandsd what you mention here those are leggends of genre and all fans of genre know em and like them. me too ewery of bands I like and like, and never had bored of them, but somehow Funeral doom ha sno new bands like in othergenres, but about Tomb Of I had hear all mysace songs but its only hellenic FD band what I know

About The Funeral Orchestra thay are from Swe and oly how i can help are give those links

http://www.myspace.com/thefuneralorchestra

+ I had 2 songs of old home page
----

16.10.2007 - 14:08
Esoptron
Account deleted
Mabye you are right,all bands i mentioned are known to the doomsters who are into funeral but what about those who want to learn about funeral doom?This was tha purpose i wrote it,for the ones who dont know much about it...As for Tomb of...they have released some non metal music also it is ambient with noise stuff i think...you can check them at soundclick,i think they have some material there...
16.10.2007 - 17:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=26341] on 16.10.2007 at 14:08

Mabye you are right,all bands i mentioned are known to the doomsters who are into funeral but what about those who want to learn about funeral doom?This was tha purpose i wrote it,for the ones who dont know much about it...As for Tomb of...they have released some non metal music also it is ambient with noise stuff i think...you can check them at soundclick,i think they have some material there...

I agree but there are not so many FD bands how for exampele death/doom bands and those who are here in MS know IMO those bands, but still your post was good , short and werry deep in same time, good explanation
----

19.10.2007 - 06:27
TDFX
Check out Skumring, very beautiful Atmospheric Funeral Doom Metal from Norway. Female vocals too. :-)
----
Last.fm
19.10.2007 - 09:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by TDFX on 19.10.2007 at 06:27

Check out Skumring, very beautiful Atmospheric Funeral Doom Metal from Norway. Female vocals too. :-)

I know them great band
----

20.10.2007 - 22:15
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
I listen to some Funeral doom bands once in a while. In fact, one of my favorites 2007 albuns is "A Treacherous Ascension" by "Longing For Dawn". If you don't know them, check them.
23.10.2007 - 23:44
Götter
Elite

Skumring - a funeral doom band? WTF?

Come on people, I know funeral doom is growing bigger every passing day, but not every doom band is of this substyle.
24.10.2007 - 01:28
TDFX
Written by Götter on 23.10.2007 at 23:44

Come on people, I know funeral doom is growing bigger every passing day, but not every doom band is of this substyle.

What would you call them then?
----
Last.fm
24.10.2007 - 01:51
Götter
Elite
Written by TDFX on 24.10.2007 at 01:28

Atmospheric/melodic doom. Absolutely nothing to do with funeral doom.
25.10.2007 - 01:36
TDFX
Written by Götter on 24.10.2007 at 01:51

Written by TDFX on 24.10.2007 at 01:28

Atmospheric/melodic doom. Absolutely nothing to do with funeral doom.

Whatever floats your boat. I'll stick with my view, as I do hear some elements of FD in their music.
----
Last.fm
11.12.2007 - 18:09
FOOCK Nam
Colosseum is funeral doom as Metal Archives labeled, maybe same for Metalstorm. Im not much knowledgable of this genre, but I find Colosseum music very melodic slowed, and of course, good band.