Metal Storm logo
Do you like Metallica's new album "Death Magnetic"?

Original post

Posted by Savage Messiah, 15.09.2008 - 06:07
Hey guys,

Just thought I'd create a thread so we can clearly see everyone's reaction to Metallica's new album!
Please give a reason for your answer, - let's keep this thread intelligent.

When I first heard Cyanide and The Day That Never Comes, I thought something along the lines of "wtf". Then I bought the album and listened to the entire thing in the car on my way to work.
IMO this album is good in its entirety, I enjoyed listening to the entire album, it would seem that the songs sound better in the context of the entire album, rather than by themselves.

In future (if they make another album) I would like to see some more aggressive vocal work from James, an updated knowledge of drum techniques and solos from Lars, perhaps a solo from Rob and a few solos that have actual FEELING from Kirk.

As I said, in its entirety this album makes for a good listen, so I give it the thumbs up.
I think that if Metallica create another album, it will be better. I see this album as a milestone towards their old metal-selves.

Poll

Do you like Metallica's new album "Death Magnetic"?

Yeah it's alright.
Yes, it's awesome!
Not really, no.
Absolutely hated it.
Haven't heard it yet.
Still making my mind up.

Total votes: 243
30.05.2009 - 14:11
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by [user id=31891] on 29.05.2009 at 17:42

Everyone likes it, nice album nice production nice solos, everything is ok in this album.

no, the production isn't that good and even people that like this album agree with it.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
30.05.2009 - 15:58
IronAngel
Personally, I found it rather uninspired and bland. It had some OK songs that topped their recent work, but it was quite mediocre in all. But then, I've never liked even early Metallica so I may not be an expert.
30.05.2009 - 16:30
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Deadmeat on 30.05.2009 at 14:11

Everyone likes it, nice album nice production nice solos, everything is ok in this album.

no, the production isn't that good and even people that like this album agree with it.

I know what u say, but Im not agree with them cause when u listen to bands like metallica for the very first time, if the production is bad then u cant say that even its a good album. I dont believe in awards but we have to at least accept that they dont give awards to worst music !!! and Death Magnetic won the production awrads in grammy. the other thing is that when there is nothing for blame, ppl want to poin their finger to such things which arent Absolure, no one can talk about an absolure production and its very hard to talk about such Prophesional thing man. why its production is bad? someone said that bass volume is low, but this is a 100% wrong oppinion, cause IMO the volume is really cool, and in some songs its highter than usual !!
30.05.2009 - 17:40
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by [user id=31891] on 30.05.2009 at 16:30

I know what u say, but Im not agree with them cause when u listen to bands like metallica for the very first time, if the production is bad then u cant say that even its a good album. I dont believe in awards but we have to at least accept that they dont give awards to worst music !!! and Death Magnetic won the production awrads in grammy. the other thing is that when there is nothing for blame, ppl want to poin their finger to such things which arent Absolure, no one can talk about an absolure production and its very hard to talk about such Prophesional thing man. why its production is bad? someone said that bass volume is low, but this is a 100% wrong oppinion, cause IMO the volume is really cool, and in some songs its highter than usual !!

first of all i answered to what you told: that people like the production and i said that no, even people who like this album don't like it's production. secondly, imo in the production there are some things i don't like as the snare sound for example. and about the award, imo this doesn't mean anything, metallica have the money and the fame to win everything they want. this does not mean they deserve it. grammy is almost shit. i can mention at least 10 metal albums of last year with better production than DM. but this is the most reachable metal style for the grammy awards so metallica won...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
30.05.2009 - 17:48
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Deadmeat on 30.05.2009 at 17:40

first of all i answered to what you told: that people like the production and i said that no, even people who like this album don't like it's production. secondly, imo in the production there are some things i don't like as the snare sound for example. and about the award, imo this doesn't mean anything, metallica have the money and the fame to win everything they want. this does not mean they deserve it. grammy is almost shit. i can mention at least 10 metal albums of last year with better production than DM. but this is the most reachable metal style for the grammy awards so metallica won...

slyaer won the grammy at 2006, was it about fame or somthing? or when it comes to metallica, u talk about fame? Rick Rubin is metallica? Rick Rubin won the grammy not metallica for the production. yes its absolute shit and bad awards, Im agree but they dont give the award to one of the worst albums man.
30.05.2009 - 18:24
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by [user id=31891] on 30.05.2009 at 17:48

Written by Deadmeat on 30.05.2009 at 17:40

slyaer won the grammy at 2006, was it about fame or somthing? or when it comes to metallica, u talk about fame? Rick Rubin is metallica? Rick Rubin won the grammy not metallica for the production. yes its absolute shit and bad awards, Im agree but they dont give the award to one of the worst albums man.

come on man... christ illusion didn't also have a GREAT production. these awards are for the big names only. and yes the big names do decent, good or great productions. they almost never do shitty shitty cause they have money and time to work... but imo neither metallica neither slayer on those 2 albums had great productions...
----
11.08.2009 - 20:42
Razorback
Still don't understand why people rate death magnetic this low,maybe because everyone expect black album or master of puppets again?!it was metallica's golden age and i doubt it will be repeated but death magnetic is pretty good album and kinda different,special all nightmare long.
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
12.08.2009 - 21:03
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Razorback on 11.08.2009 at 20:42

Still don't understand why people rate death magnetic this low,maybe because everyone expect black album or master of puppets again?!it was metallica's golden age and i doubt it will be repeated but death magnetic is pretty good album and kinda different,special all nightmare long.

and the The Judas Kiss ### ...
12.08.2009 - 21:44
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Razorback on 11.08.2009 at 20:42

the production is so horrid it seriously detracts from the album.

piss-poor production might work for old school grim nekro kvlt black metal bands, but not thrash/heavy metal... they probably literally spent less than 0.1% of the "DM" budget back in the day when recording "Kill 'Em All", and "K.E.A." sounds a lot better.

it's an okay album with that aside... if it had production on par with pretty much an 80's thrash release, i'd score it a 7. that said, the production is so bad ("let's just push all the knobs and levels to 10!") it seriously detracts from any enjoyment i derive from the album.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.08.2009 - 07:15
DevilBabi
I loves it
I think, in hindsight, i tshoudl not be compared to anyothers.
I think we shoudl all take a step back, evaluate it for what it is. a BRAND NEW album.
With some good shit on it too i might add
22.08.2009 - 19:39
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by DevilBabi on 21.08.2009 at 07:15

I think we shoudl all take a step back, evaluate it for what it is. a BRAND NEW album.

and lots of bad shit, too, i might add. the production.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
22.08.2009 - 21:45
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 22.08.2009 at 19:39

Production hehe, IMO you can say that all Productions are good or bad! cause you cant Measure it. its impossible to Measure it. so IMO this is a good album cause all ppl who wants to take it down just talks about Production.

Production is not by Metallica ppl dont waste ur times.
22.08.2009 - 22:42
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by [user id=31891] on 22.08.2009 at 21:45

Written by BitterCOld on 22.08.2009 at 19:39

Production hehe, IMO you can say that all Productions are good or bad! cause you cant Measure it. its impossible to Measure it. so IMO this is a good album cause all ppl who wants to take it down just talks about Production.

Production is not by Metallica ppl dont waste ur times.

I realize you have your head so far up James' ass that you can taste what Lars had for lunch when they make out, so it is near useless even trying to talk with you on a rational level, yet i will.

the production values of that album suck. it's the band's fucking record, they are the biggest metal band on the planet - do you honestly think they have no say in the matter?

it's crap.

and if there is one thing in music that can be quantified and qualified better than any other aspect, it's the production. hell, Jupe can graph it for you if you'd like.

"all the people who wants to take it down just talks about production" because it is the single largest gaping flaw in the album. it's a fucking crater sized hole, hoss. it's fucking terrible. just like when analyzing "...And Justice" the first thing to come up is the absolute lack of bass (thanks, Lars, you fucking douchebag)... even more so than the long, boring, over-drawn-out song structures. it's the easiest aspect of the album to denigrate, and had they put any effort into the production of "Death Magentic", it would have probably been received a lot better by a lot of people.

the biggest metal/rock band on the planet shouldn't just be pushing all the knobs up to ten.

i actually feel really sorry for you and your inability to examine anything by an artist you like without even the slightest critical eye or ear.

just sad.
----

27.08.2009 - 23:13
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Im not agree with u cause this album's production is so much better than kill em all and ride the lightning and master of puppets (as I remember we have alot of excelent Productions in those times but they are not better than these counted albums) and and justice for all and St.Anger but maybe not better than Black Album and Load or Reloud. but metallica's best albums are from 80's, thats why I say this is a good album, I dont care about Lyrics I dont care about Performance I dont care about nothing but PRODUCTION. no man Im not with ur Rational fuckin words. sorry Im not the man.
28.08.2009 - 02:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=31891] on 27.08.2009 at 23:13

Im not agree with u cause this album's production is so much better than kill em all and ride the lightning and master of puppets (as I remember we have alot of excelent Productions in those times but they are not better than these counted albums) and and justice for all and St.Anger but maybe not better than Black Album and Load or Reloud. but metallica's best albums are from 80's, thats why I say this is a good album, I dont care about Lyrics I dont care about Performance I dont care about nothing but PRODUCTION. no man Im not with ur Rational fuckin words. sorry Im not the man.

I really don't understand how anyone with working ears on their head can honestly claim that Death Magnetic's production is better than that of Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets.

Because to me it certainly isn't as good, because all the dynamics have been totally killed by the recording which is way too loud.

So please enlighten us as to why you think Death Magnetic's production is better than those of RtL and MoP.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.08.2009 - 03:52
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
There was a version of Death Magnetic circling the 'not so legal' channels about a year ago that was recorded from the Guitar Hero video game. Apparently the game developer received unmastered versions of the songs in order to release the game more or less at the same time as the album and they mastered it themselves and far better than what you hear on CD. I urge all of you good people who shelled out hard earned cash for the original CD version of Death Magnetic to download that version from your favorite tracker. Its not illegal, I think, to download something that you already bought, right? The Guitar Hero version sounds FAR better though, believe me. It's still loud but not brickwall loud.

I still dont really like this new album and haven't listened to it since it was first available; however, I do remember being completely unable to listen to it on headphones due to the brickwall mastering (btw. production is what happens in the studio, its the MASTERING that destroyed DM's sound). The clipping made it sound like someone was drilling holes into my skull, and while I like that sensation when listening to Merzbow, Metallica really needs some more dynamics in their sound...
28.08.2009 - 21:30
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.08.2009 at 02:16

I really don't understand how anyone with working ears on their head can honestly claim that Death Magnetic's production is better than that of Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets.

Because to me it certainly isn't as good, because all the dynamics have been totally killed by the recording which is way too loud.

So please enlighten us as to why you think Death Magnetic's production is better than those of RtL and MoP.

they are more experienced right now so they can produce more better and as I know metallica was produced those albums themselves and if u think that rick was just waklin in the studio so I have to say that metallica have produced this album. anyway I dont care anymore. IMO this album is a good album.
28.08.2009 - 22:08
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by jupitreas on 28.08.2009 at 03:52

There was a version of Death Magnetic circling the 'not so legal' channels about a year ago that was recorded from the Guitar Hero video game. Apparently the game developer received unmastered versions of the songs in order to release the game more or less at the same time as the album and they mastered it themselves and far better than what you hear on CD. I urge all of you good people who shelled out hard earned cash for the original CD version of Death Magnetic to download that version from your favorite tracker. Its not illegal, I think, to download something that you already bought, right? The Guitar Hero version sounds FAR better though, believe me. It's still loud but not brickwall loud.

I still dont really like this new album and haven't listened to it since it was first available; however, I do remember being completely unable to listen to it on headphones due to the brickwall mastering (btw. production is what happens in the studio, its the MASTERING that destroyed DM's sound). The clipping made it sound like someone was drilling holes into my skull, and while I like that sensation when listening to Merzbow, Metallica really needs some more dynamics in their sound...

hey man I like to live in a house which is in a jungle and enjoy the natural things and Im relative to real things than virtual things this virtual life is really sad and at least for me MP3 is one of those sad lifes. yes yes I use MP3's and I have a lot of mp3's and as u said its so hard to carry them from country to country and city to city. now Im in turkey and 1 year later will move from here too, but Im not so scared of my plastic CD's cause I can comfortably download them cause I purchased them u know?

but about good verison of Death Magnetic, maybe you like remastered albums but I like original ones, for example I dont like to hear Ride the Lightning's Remaster cause I love it its enough for me.

and again I know that you are not talkin about Remastered albums !!!
29.08.2009 - 12:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=31891] on 28.08.2009 at 21:30

they are more experienced right now so they can produce more better and as I know metallica was produced those albums themselves and if u think that rick was just waklin in the studio so I have to say that metallica have produced this album. anyway I dont care anymore. IMO this album is a good album.

RtL and MoP were not produced by Metallica but by Flemming Rasmussen Metallica co-produced it.
And imo the production of those two albums are way better than that of Death Magnetic cause at least there's a lot of dynamics on those two which is unfortunately lacking on DM.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.08.2009 - 17:00
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.08.2009 at 12:17

Written by [user id=31891] on 28.08.2009 at 21:30

RtL and MoP were not produced by Metallica but by Flemming Rasmussen Metallica co-produced it.
And imo the production of those two albums are way better than that of Death Magnetic cause at least there's a lot of dynamics on those two which is unfortunately lacking on DM.

those albums are just better than Death Manetic thats all.
30.08.2009 - 17:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=31891] on 30.08.2009 at 17:00

Not only are the songs better but also the production. Like I said those albums have a lot of dynamics which Death Magnetic lacks. Plus DM is recorded way too loud.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.08.2009 - 20:39
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.08.2009 at 17:07

Written by [user id=31891] on 30.08.2009 at 17:00

Not only are the songs better but also the production. Like I said those albums have a lot of dynamics which Death Magnetic lacks. Plus DM is recorded way too loud.

Im a little agree with u its loud more than it needs, but I like the album and IMO it deseves to be listened.
30.08.2009 - 21:03
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
This discussion doesn't lead anywhere, so just stop; seriously, no point in continuing.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
10.09.2009 - 03:35
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Yes, Death Magnetic it's a bit too loud, specially the drums, and the bassline is to low...but if you want über production go listen some power metal then. And stop complaining about teh same thing.
It's still a great album. You cannot expect another Master of Puppets or Ride The Lightning. you just can't.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
12.09.2009 - 22:29
Son of Odin
Metallica did their best music back in the 80´s but Death Magnetic is definitively a step in the right direction.
----
METAL UNITES US ALL!
12.09.2009 - 23:48
Galar
Wicked Mung
Megadeth's endgame>Metallica's DM with ease
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
14.09.2009 - 04:46
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Anyone that knows anything about the loudness war knows that Death Magnetic has serious production problems..

this with regards to the conversation above
----
15.09.2009 - 21:32
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I am listening right now to the Guitar Hero version of Death Magnetic, and it's pretty good. The retail version seriously has a horrible mix, especially the drums. Thanx, jupitreas.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
18.09.2009 - 22:40
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 10.09.2009 at 03:35

Yes, Death Magnetic it's a bit too loud, specially the drums, and the bassline is to low...but if you want über production go listen some power metal then. And stop complaining about teh same thing.
It's still a great album. You cannot expect another Master of Puppets or Ride The Lightning. you just can't.

totally agree with you.
19.09.2009 - 01:16
Hi.......
The album is old style
h like 2 songs of it