Metal Storm logo
Best Canadian Metal Band

Original post

Posted by Endoftherainbow, 28.06.2006 - 09:19
I had created another topic similar to this on the old forum "What Canadian Death Metal Band is best?" but now I have decided I want to create a new thread but more broad. Canada is home to many great metal bands especially in the genre of death metal. What Canadian Metal Band do you think is best and why? What is your favorite album by the band? What do you think of the other Canadian bands? Please refrain from picking other if your choice is Rush because I don't want them included in this pole because I don't consider them metal.

I couldn't chose between two bands so my favorite Canadian Metal bands are Quo Vadis and Devin Townsend. Devin Townsend because they put on a great live show and all of their albums are amazing. My favorite Devin Townsend album is Infinity because it has my favorite song by them "Bad Devil". Quo Vadis because they are the best Technical Death Metal band in my opinion. All of their albums are great but my favorite is Defiant Imagination. Their riffs are amazing and Yanic Berciers drumming is untouchable IMO.

Other Canadian bands that I like are Cryptopsy, Into Eternity, Kataklysm, Strapping Young Lad, and Annihilator.

Poll

What Canadian Band is best?

Annihilator
Other
Strapping Young Lad
Kataklysm
Quo Vadis
Cryptopsy
Into Eternity
Gorguts
Martyr

Total votes: 230
05.10.2008 - 18:17
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Rush and Annihilator by far then Into Eternity

annihilator sometiems sounds prog like alison hell i love it
----
Stay Metal !!!
01.12.2008 - 07:58
Lehctim
Quo Vadis all the way. Theyre so unique for death metal, and also had the best drummer in the world (Yanic Bercier) until he fucking left and ruined everything! Also love the unique vocals.
09.12.2008 - 17:39
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Out of these ones, Into Eternity rule, but Unexpect comes second. Or is it Kat? Anyway: Into Eternity.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
09.12.2008 - 19:07
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Woods Of Ypres for me is the best band.
17.12.2008 - 06:20
Neuraxis ... My Favorite band ... maybe you can listen to them they are great
03.01.2009 - 00:21
broken goddess
Ah - with SO very much talent from the great white north, how can I decide......

It'd have to be Kataklysm (my personal favorite to see live!)
Or Quo Vadis. No make that Into Eternity. But Then theres always Martyr.... And what of Descend Into Nothingness!??! Or Insurrection, or the Ghoulunatics....... And Neuraxis.....

I love Canadian Metal.... So All of the above is my answer.
----
--baleful's the passion when hearts stand still--
03.01.2009 - 00:25
brapp32
Threat signal
03.01.2009 - 04:06
I'd have to go with Strapping Young Lad, for the fact that Devin Townsend is a genius.

I would've chosen Into Eternity if not their last two recent CDs sucked. Everything pre-Scattering of Ashes is good.
----
Burzum did it for the lulz
06.01.2009 - 20:05
HugeTheConqeror
Unexpect are by far my favorite Metal band from Canada. Saw them open for Sigh a couple of months ago, and was left with my jaw hanging open. It is amazing that they can re-create live the controlled chaos that is on their albums.

Surprised that Voivod were also not one of the options.

(Have to give props to Canadian favorite Rush, who are my favorite band. I didn't actually consider them to be my vote for this poll, since despite their influence on metal, they aren't actually metal).
----
Pardon me while I wreak my vengeance.
06.01.2009 - 23:01
MetFan99
Account deleted
Going to be bias and vote for an old friend of mine's band...Sacrifice.

Soldiers Of Misfortune is IMO their best album.
09.01.2009 - 16:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
What I find baffling is that almost NO-ONE mentioned VoiVod. True innovative metal from their early noisy days through their avantgarde thrash to their Pink Floyd influenced albums.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.01.2009 - 22:58
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.01.2009 at 16:57

What I find baffling is that almost NO-ONE mentioned VoiVod. True innovative metal from their early noisy days through their avantgarde thrash to their Pink Floyd influenced albums.

This may sound shameful, but I didn't even know they were Canadian until I saw them at Monsters Of Rock this summer (they performed very nice stripped-down set), the guy who did all the band introductions was doing that usual "They are Canadian so we knew you'd love them" BS. In my defence though I never have really looked into them. I think the problem is they are just overlooked in general, which is odd considering who the current bassist is.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
20.02.2009 - 06:21
munson
I'm sad to see such a small amount of love for Quo Vadis -- those boys are pretty awesome (though, the rest of the list is pretty awesome too).
21.02.2009 - 05:48
Guib
Thrash Talker
Hell its all pro bands

Hail Quo Vadis, they're the best followed by Martyr..
Then the legendary Cryptopsy, hell yeah they rule !!!

Canada's Metal ROCKS !
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
21.02.2009 - 19:19
Nardy7
My two favorite Canadian Metal bands are 3 Inches Of Blood and Into Eternity. 3 Inches Of Blood have great riffage and expell a lot of "powerful" energy. And don't forget those awesome, crazy vocals! Into Eternity offer a lot of diversity, whether it be vocals or instrumentals.
04.04.2009 - 16:03
BuzzPhil
I didn't vote because I listen to so many groups from Canada! But my favorites are Voivod, Annihilator, Kataklysm, 3 Inches of Blood and Martyr.
04.04.2009 - 20:13
TormentoR.
Annihilator !
----

Evil undisguised
Breathe in pain
Blackened souls remain
05.04.2009 - 23:51
Wyrd
ICE WIND!!!!!!
Long Live Canadian Matal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
08.04.2009 - 19:15
metalhead3
I have dileme between gorguts and quo vadis,so i voted for quo vadis.i like quo vadis,band is great
13.04.2009 - 01:13
mortjoyeux
Other.
Blasphemy!!
First to come to mind tbh, though there are MANY canadian metal bands I love just as much (RAZOR)
Fallen Angel of Doom is one amazing album, vocals are best and its heavyyyy as fux.
13.04.2009 - 02:33
Biedrik
Voivod. It's a tragedy that they aren't an option.
----
I'm selling metal posters! Ask me about them if you're interested.
13.04.2009 - 02:43
Gigginova
Account deleted
I'm surprised 3iob aren't on the list.
14.04.2009 - 02:09
-Morbid-
Can't vote as there are lots of bands I like from Canada, and I can't really pick a favorite.
14.04.2009 - 20:13
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by [user id=160] on 13.04.2009 at 02:43

Yeah, Three Inches Of Blood seriously are just as important as any band in the French Canadian Death Metal scene...
15.04.2009 - 23:34
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=2084] on 14.04.2009 at 20:13

Written by [user id=160] on 13.04.2009 at 02:43

Yeah, Three Inches Of Blood seriously are just as important as any band in the French Canadian Death Metal scene...

If not more important, internally speaking. I guess outside of Canada it wouldnt make a difference, but (and no disrespect meant towards those great death metal bands coming out of Quebec) in the mid-eastern part of Canada (ontario, quebec) its not that strange to see great bands coming out, whereas western Canada doesnt exactly have a plentiful output of metal on an international scale. Basically its Into Eternity, Divinity, 3 Inches Of Blood, and now Bison BC (Im sure theres a few more but those are the biggest ones that come to mind). Either way the list is tiny compared to Montreal and Torontos major output.
----
- George Carlin
16.04.2009 - 00:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Ok I reda post but where is 80's thrsh bands like :
Piledriver, Razor, Sacrifice , Outbreak, Slaughter, DBC(dead Braib Cells), Aggression, Svagae Steel, Dissection, Armoros(I discovere it right now ;o ) , Disciples of Power
Those all bands i know and had heard to, in vib of doom are allw hat I gave

Where is HM: Fist, Recless, Rapid Tears, Kraken , cheasey Kick Axe to, also Dagger, Sacred Blade, Sword, Thor, Thunder Rider

Some doom: Longing for Dawn, Sins of Otis, Towards Darkness

All those bands specely thrash n heavy what I gave are legends, history , roots of Canadain metal, all is valible hear for free in i net , damn I realy wish get all albums what I heard at vib of doom , whit out thet great site I would not know so many good bands
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.04.2009 - 16:14
ForeverDarkWoods
I'm gonna have to go with Blasphemy personally, since they're one of the best raw black metal bands (worldwide, not just Canadian). Slaughter are also damn close though, as is Piledriver. There are also bands like Frozen Shadows and Gris which deserve to be mentioned.

I also urge everyone to check out Megiddo, since they're fucking awesome.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
16.04.2009 - 17:59
JohnDoe
Account deleted
I chose "other" - thinking of Voivod; such a great, original band. But then again I don't know that many Canadian metal band.

I also like early Annihilator, Never Neverland is an album i still like (heard it first time when i was in high school and it's been too long since then, so the album has staying power, for me at least).

I wish people would stop classifying Rush as metal, it's just wrong.
18.04.2009 - 00:20
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 16.04.2009 at 16:14

I also urge everyone to check out Megiddo, since they're fucking awesome.

I must have seen this band a couple dozen times without even meaning to. They frequently play some of my favourite bars around town. Can't say I've actually heard any studio stuff from them, but I remember them being the better band of quite a few lousy bar shows. Not bad stuff at all.
----
- George Carlin
12.05.2009 - 22:58
Glower
Strapping Young Lad, definitely.
Their lyrics hardly make sense, but then whose does?
Decimator and Force Fed are the best :]