Metal Storm logo
What metal genre have you been into recently? What band started it?

Original post

Posted by -DC-002-, 31.10.2008 - 10:10
A simple question. what genre or style of metal have you been listening too lately? And what band spurred it?

does this topic exist already? I guess I'll find out
31.12.2009 - 23:13
I_Die_Often
Brutal Death metal
My first taste was a Dying Fetus CD I picked up somewhere (Purification Through Violence)
Own quite a few now, but I need to find some more bands!!!!
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
01.01.2010 - 19:48
Gordon Freeman
I've been listening to a lot of stoner metal bands lately. I got hooked on Electric Wizard's "Dopethrone" last year and have been listening to anything similar whenever I can.

Examples include High on Fire, Baroness, Bongzilla, Eyehategod etc.

I've also listened to a lot of "epic" heavy metal bands like Brocas Helm, Manilla Road, Cirith Ungol, Doomsword and Slough Feg lately.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
02.01.2010 - 13:01
Been adding some doom to the playlist, I always knew the bigger bands as such but now getting into some lesse known ones. A Storm Of Light, 0.68, A Dawn Serene for instance are all epic! Although still can't get into Paradise Lost.
----
"The people who are dark fear the people who are fair
And hippies live in terror of the guys who have no hair
The saddest thing of all - what I really find grim
Is we haven't yet noticed what a mess we're all in."
02.01.2010 - 18:43
Gordon Freeman
Written by Autumn Twilight on 02.01.2010 at 13:01

Been adding some doom to the playlist, I always knew the bigger bands as such but now getting into some lesse known ones. A Storm Of Light, 0.68, A Dawn Serene for instance are all epic! Although still can't get into Paradise Lost.

I have a suggestion for you if you don't know of them already.

The band is called Ahab and I highly recommend their album "The Call of the Wretched Sea"
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

05.01.2010 - 03:01
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Its hard to say as most genres ive touched on liking at some point. I just had a large extreme period when i got a bit tired of melodic stuff. Been into alot of Avantgarde and experimental stuff recently. Just recently got into Rotting Christ after seeing them live.... WOW! Amazing band! Cant believe i never listened to them before, always thought they were brutal death with the name haha! Also Dark Funeral. So they kind of make me listen to black metal again alot now.
05.01.2010 - 12:42
Written by Gordon Freeman on 02.01.2010 at 18:43

The band is called Ahab and I highly recommend their album "The Call of the Wretched Sea"

I have had a listen, I can see the appeal but personally it doesn't do anything for me. I like my doom to have a bit of action in it rather than be based on ambiance if that makes any sense. In fairness, my girlfriend is now going to buy the album so you converted someone .
----
"The people who are dark fear the people who are fair
And hippies live in terror of the guys who have no hair
The saddest thing of all - what I really find grim
Is we haven't yet noticed what a mess we're all in."
05.01.2010 - 12:54
Black Mass
Lots of instrumental stuff such as Godspeed You? Black Emperor. Their track Rockets Fall on Rockets Fall has changed my life. Also getting into Pelican and This Will Destroy You (although not metal).
Also been getting into a lot of Om and Sunn O))). Recently saw them in London and they were brilliant.
05.01.2010 - 13:37
Immortal
I've been listening to mainly Heavy Metal recently. I usually listen to Black Metal constantly but I threw on some old Iron Maiden a few weeks and it's not stopped playing!
----
"Hope is the greatest of all evils, for it prolongs the torment of man." - Friedrich Nietzsche
05.01.2010 - 19:56
Gordon Freeman
Written by Autumn Twilight on 05.01.2010 at 12:42

Written by Gordon Freeman on 02.01.2010 at 18:43

I have had a listen, I can see the appeal but personally it doesn't do anything for me. I like my doom to have a bit of action in it rather than be based on ambiance if that makes any sense. In fairness, my girlfriend is now going to buy the album so you converted someone .

What do you think about the classic (Sabbath worshiping) style of doom metal?
----

08.01.2010 - 06:28
FoxZdemoN
Black ambient metal such as Negura Bunget and Blut Aus Nord.
----

You can listen to my show "Diabolus Templum" on Thursdays 4pm till 7pm EST. on~
http://www.brutalexistenceradio.com/
16.02.2010 - 08:58
Gobobbles
Account deleted
I've been addicted to Gothenburg/melodic death recently and believe it or not, Eluveitie sparked that.
16.02.2010 - 11:54
Skøllgrim
Northern
Doom metal and various forms of it. Black Sabbath and Paradise Lost are to blame!
Also I'd like to give some compliments to Metal Storm for putting together a really nice doom selection on the metal awards!
16.02.2010 - 19:22
SerratedSyringe
Lots of black metal lately. Especially, symphonic BM such as Anorexia Nervosa and Chthonic.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
16.02.2010 - 20:11
Sick Girl
I have been listening to a lot of Doom Metal lately, but it's always been one of my favorites. Forest Of Shadows has caught my attention.
17.02.2010 - 00:27
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Started getting off metal the last week, wanted something a bit different so I started listening to some 70's prog rock especially Jethro Tull. The album "Heavy Horses" is absolutely amazing....
17.02.2010 - 01:39
ToMegaTherion
Mainly a lot of doom metal, I bought two Candlemass albums a few weeks ago and havn't been able to stop listening to them just yet, then that ran onto The Gathering, My Dying Bridge and Winter being played quite heavily on my mp3 player.
17.02.2010 - 16:51
Scourge
A lot of folk metal lately. mainly Turisas, Tyr, Ensiferum...
----
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and bitter...
17.02.2010 - 23:58
JÄY
Metal slave
I cant get enough speed metal...and it was started by Helloween's Walls of jericho....what an album!
so, old blind guardian
agent steel
helstar
savage grace
i sure do wish this genre was a little more "real" if you know what i mean...most speed metal bands are either lumped into thrash or power, but to me there is a big difference, although they sound like a a great mix of both!
fuck yeah!
18.02.2010 - 02:47
whatsacow
Prog and Avant Garde. I blame Maudlin of the Well
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
18.02.2010 - 22:17
zsz
Death metal - I saw a SepticFlesh gig and it got me hooked
----
My mind is sharp, like a razors edge, my soul's gone mad.
22.02.2010 - 15:55
Roro
The 80's . and i cant pull my self out :S
22.02.2010 - 18:23
MeTalRea|istiK
Tech death..just now i listen to arsis..
25.02.2010 - 15:00
farshid
I started with Metallica actually my brother used to listen it and I got intrested too!!

also I started listening to Iron maiden with Dance of the dead . Remmember i took it from a friend.

and now I mostly listen to Black metal which I believe ... Black metal = Immortal
04.03.2010 - 05:08
MetalDoomMaster
I can't get enough of death metal. Necrophagist and Dying Fetus are what started that. More Doom and Thrash lately though (Swallow The Sun, Daylight Dies, Evile)
Just watched Cannibal Corpse's Centuries Of Torment.-Fucking Amazing
05.03.2010 - 23:00
Dr.TeM
Recently i'm kind of Torn
Power Metal /HammerFall
MetalCore / BFMV,TRIVIUM,LAMB OF GOD and Kill Switch Engage
Thrash / Metallica >> that i started with them and still till this moment
Black / Immortal
and sometimes i try to hear some new bands thats all
13.03.2010 - 10:05
Hylia
Black/ folk metal, usually with tolkien influences:P I've always listened to that, but now i've been listening to it A LOT. Especially since I want my band to kind of go in that direction. I usually listen to Summoning, Minas Morgul, and Windir.
14.03.2010 - 06:52
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
My tastes have been switching a lot lately. Past couple of weeks I've listened to a lot of extreme/death metal. Stuff like Death, Debauchery, stuff with growling vocals. And today my tastes have been going all over the place, with heavy/traditional, sludge, and nu metal.
14.03.2010 - 13:44
Heretic
Melodic death doom , started with slumber and rapture
its such a rare genre and i cant find enough albums
14.04.2010 - 15:41
Kennoth
Melodeath

Started with one song from The Agonist, heavily expanded with Scar Symmetry
----
*insert something deep and profound*
14.04.2010 - 15:42
Kennoth
Written by Heretic on 14.03.2010 at 13:44

Melodic death doom , started with slumber and rapture
its such a rare genre and i cant find enough albums

Sounds interesting. I've always had a certain fondness for doom metal, but it's way, way too slow.
----
*insert something deep and profound*