Metal Storm logo
What turned you into a Metal Head?

Original post

Posted by Bleed4Metal, 26.03.2010 - 19:39
I was never really into music as a kid. Than my uncles gave me some old school metal albums (Sabbath, Metallica, Pantera) and ever since its been metal through and through.
27.07.2011 - 08:27
I think I always liked the more rock type music growing up, like the Phantom of the Opera song on the soundtrack that my mom played a lot. I remember loving the dark sound and the rock drums. I listened to things like Brian Adams and Aerosmith, and it was always the more up-tempo songs I loved.

It wasn't until I heard the Mortal Kombat soundtrack, and heard Fear Factory. Blew my mind, and since then I've been a die hard metal head.
27.07.2011 - 11:20
Rigantona
Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyjSLGGOYmE

Is that song reason enough?
But actually the metalhead time came when I ran into an interview from Motorhead's superLemmy, that was it!
----
"All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players."
William Shakespeare
27.07.2011 - 11:42
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Rigantona on 27.07.2011 at 11:20

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyjSLGGOYmE

Is that song reason enough?
But actually the metalhead time came when I ran into an interview from Motorhead's superLemmy, that was it!

Haha thats awesome. I'm sure Lemmy has influenced a shit load of people
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
01.01.2012 - 17:30
When i was 12 i started listening to AC/DC . Well , somewhere things got a little harder
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
02.01.2012 - 06:17
NLthrasher
It must have been my father almost constantly listening to stuff like Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Dio, Rush, Meat Loaf and that kind of stuff and it really grew on me. Later I expanded my taste for music also to the more heavy stuff like Thrash Metal.
02.01.2012 - 06:57
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
Started out listening to metal around 7 years old. AC/DC, Guns N Roses, Metallica. Stuff like that. Nothing else had enough heaviness or aggressivness to it. Everyone else who grew up around me hated metal because it was "old" and "out-dated". That just made me like metal even more. I have alot more metal friends now but really i dont give a shit if people dont like metal cause i do.
07.01.2012 - 06:36
lordchadi
I don no i think i was born with attraction to this music
first i start with arabic classic band then i felt deep inside no this is not wat i want i want more aggressive so i turned into rap but the same feeling again then it comes to my hand by chance Def Leppard '' hysteria'' i said yea but not enough then Iron Maiden '' killer '' i felt more satisfy but still not enough ,,,, then a friend to me give me Manowar '' kings of metal'' but he give me a copied tape so i couldnt no the band name but i felt OMG this blow my brain this is wat i want then when i tried to no this band s name i found Metallica " and justice for all" then " ride the lightning " & here it comes since that age & i become a metal head ..

when i get def leppard i was 11 yrs , when i get Manowar i was 12 yrs ,,, now im 30 yrs
Hail to all metal friend
08.01.2012 - 00:14
Zealot644
Probably related to my younger years.

I have a dad who is great at times but is so extremely short tempered it is impossible to believe. Since I can remember anything I remember this constant awful feeling of him screaming and swearing at me over the most minute things (Like, constantly). I tried sharing my various interests with him over the years in the hopes to mend what in my opinion wasnt the best relationship and I don't think he ever really paid attention or promoted them, so quite a few of my ambitions withered.

On top of that around the ages of 10-13 my mom began suffering from depression related to a gun call from her work (police dispatcher) because she has always been a very sensitive person. Most of those years were of her being relatively solitary and off in her room (often crying) and they really had an effect on me. I used to really like her before then, but during and after depression I found being near her made me incredibly sad and I would rather be off doing my own thing. This still affects me today and I think I may even suffer from depression to a degree. My mom has even wondered to me before if I suffer from depression because I became a bit reclusive after those years - but I'll never tell her that it's her fault, I wont put her through that and I would rather just suck it up and live with it.

So, I'm figuring it's the feeling of a lack of caring and depression which probably make me enjoy metal. I used to enjoy 'happy' music but I found metal to better match my mood and feelings over the years. (Doesnt that sound cliche) The heaviness and typical harsh vocals tend to give me that relief which I cannot get through other means. It's easier to just forget life's troubles when you put the power of guitar riffs, double bass drum beats, and various vocal styles from soft to heavy in the way of them. I also find communities and culture built around the enjoyment of metal tend to be a place where everybody is accepted and there are many people from all walks of life.

Sorry if that was kind of sappy.
23.02.2012 - 10:22
Codera the Great
Account deleted
First Metallica, Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin, then Iron Maiden, then Blind Guardian and Opeth.
01.04.2012 - 11:33
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Beer
----
01.04.2012 - 15:17
Branzig
Black Sabbath first I would say. War Pigs was one of the first songs I ever learned on guitar....from there I just kept searching out harder and more chaotic music to listen too.
----
In Grind We Crust
01.04.2012 - 15:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
I probably posted it already earlier on but

Kiss - Dynasty and then especially the single I Was Made For Loving You

turned me on to metal
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.04.2012 - 15:29
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Posted about this a lot of times... Seeing a recording of Black Sabbath performing Heaven And Hell. Dio threw devilhorns at me from a distance of 25ish years and thousands of kilometers and I was enchanted. It was a week after my 13th birthday. Before that I was heavily into 70's and 80's rock music for about a year.
----
7.0 means the album is good
01.04.2012 - 15:51
Fredd
Account deleted
Metallica, Megadeth, Katatonia, Incubus and Korn. A friend of mine sent me some of their songs 5 years ago.
01.04.2012 - 18:02
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Probably... Evanescence? That was kinda an introduction to let me know that I enjoyed heavy riffing.
I started considering that I was into """"heavy metal"""" after I bought Meteora from Linkin Park. I remember getting a lot of chills specially during the screamed parts.
And then I started checking out the whole nu-metal/alternative scene.
02.04.2012 - 00:31
wildchild
Warchild
When I was kid my family put me in that church stuff, so I always believed that Metal was demon stuff, but I really doesn't knew what the heck was metal. I used to listen a lot my Mortal Kombat Soundtrack album, and just loved Type O Negative and Fear Factory. But it was not metal in my kids head. lol.

Someday a friend forgot an Iron Maiden CD at my place. I listened to Flash of the Blade. The music blew my head off. But (without knowing english aswel) thinking that was demon stuff. Till I met some friends that presents me Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, and a little of growing up age... I was totally into metal. Drinking with Satan and stuff. lol.

But it was at MetalStorm that I met bands like Katatonia, and this I carry on my life forever.

Sorry the english. I was just passing by. o/

nice day, dudes.
----
warchildpost.blogspot.com
02.04.2012 - 00:59
Necrox
I started at standard rock like Puddle of Mudd and Senses Fail and gradually evolved into metal.
03.04.2012 - 03:52
Thrashette
Back when I was 13, I listened to mainstream shit that everyone else did, but only really liked Evanescence and some Linkin Park. Shortly after I accepted the fact that I was never going to be a popular kid, I looked for better music and discovered Nightwish, which became my new favourite band. From there, I became obsessed with metal and got into more symphonic metal, power metal, the classics, then eventually more extreme metal, all in a few months' time. One of the best things that ever happened to me
03.04.2012 - 04:52
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
03.04.2012 - 07:24
Grody2themax
My friend told me to check out Iron Maiden, so I did and Run to the Hills sounded so amazing the first time I listened to it. After that I proceeded to listen the fuck out of that song and other Maiden songs. Then I got into melodic death and it went from there. I'm almost ashamed of this, but I pretty much completely skipped over OS thrash. When I listen to thrash now I'm like, ehhh...it sounds to "rock" to me. I have literally no interest in most thrash unless I find something special or something I feel like I haven't heard regurgitated over and over again before.
03.04.2012 - 15:42
Branzig
Written by Boxcar Willy on 03.04.2012 at 04:52

Torsofuck

I like Torsofuck...They make me giggle lol
----
In Grind We Crust
03.04.2012 - 21:20
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Thrashette on 03.04.2012 at 03:52

Back when I was 13, I listened to mainstream shit that everyone else did, but only really liked Evanescence and some Linkin Park. Shortly after I accepted the fact that I was never going to be a popular kid, I looked for better music and discovered Nightwish, which became my new favourite band. From there, I became obsessed with metal and got into more symphonic metal, power metal, the classics, then eventually more extreme metal, all in a few months' time. One of the best things that ever happened to me

>mainstream shit
>Nightwish
>SOAD
>etc.

Had to point it out.

Also, Torsofuck is boss.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
03.04.2012 - 21:26
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Torsofuck. Worst of the worst. Amazing how one song can put a band on the map.

Calling SOAD shit then Torsofuck boss: hilarity.
03.04.2012 - 21:35
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by [user id=4365] on 03.04.2012 at 21:26

I only enjoy Torsofuck as a joke band. The guy was being sarcastic anyway.
----
03.04.2012 - 21:35
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by [user id=4365] on 03.04.2012 at 21:26

Torsofuck. Worst of the worst. Amazing how one song can put a band on the map.

Oh man Torsofuck have the br00tl lyrics! They are soo awesomez
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
03.04.2012 - 21:37
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by vezzy on 03.04.2012 at 21:35

I only enjoy Torsofuck as a joke band. The guy was being sarcastic anyway.

Never understand the whole liking something as a joke. Do you listen to it and piss yourself all the way through or just like the fact they exist?
03.04.2012 - 21:40
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by [user id=4365] on 03.04.2012 at 21:37

Never understand the whole liking something as a joke. Do you listen to it and piss yourself all the way through or just like the fact they exist?

I guess you could say I find their existence enjoyable. It definitely has comedic value, and they're a one-LP "wonder" sort of thing, so that's bonus points.
----
03.04.2012 - 21:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by vezzy on 03.04.2012 at 21:40

I guess you could say I find their existence enjoyable. It definitely has comedic value, and they're a one-LP "wonder" sort of thing, so that's bonus points.

I guess I'd find it funnier if there weren't so many novelty slam/gore bands.
03.04.2012 - 23:26
Thrashette
Written by vezzy on 03.04.2012 at 21:20

Written by Thrashette on 03.04.2012 at 03:52

>mainstream shit
>Nightwish
>SOAD
>etc.

Had to point it out.

Also, Torsofuck is boss.

Why do I sense trolling?
Edit: Not quite sure where you're getting SOAD from seeing as I didn't even mention them in my post
04.04.2012 - 02:22
Vikingr
Ah, days gone by .... why, I remember when I was just a lad, barely reaching up to my chest when the All Father Odin appeared to me in a feverish dream. A blizzard wind swirled around him and lightning crackled across the blackened sky above. There he stood, armor gleaming with each strike of lightning, a shadowy raven perched on his shoulder and a shining spear resting lightly in his hands, his one eye glinting with power and amusement. He spoke to me, his voice the sound of thunder over the crack of lightning "Mark, thou has listened to shitty mainstream music for far too long and it offends my godly ears. Honor me my son by listening to the kick ass tunes of metal, know brutality and know metal well and I will grant to you a seat at my table in my hall of corpses in Valhalla". Moments later I awoke, the snow, lightning, and Odin nowhere to be found, and from that day forward I have lived and breathed the ass kicking tunes of metal

To be honest I started listening to stuff like Uncle Cracker (don't judge, I was 10) and moved into more horrific mainstream pop. As I got older I started getting into bands like Aerosmith, Motorhead, Queen, AC/DC and Guns 'n Roses until one day 4 years ago a guy I worked with told me my tunes were weak and handed me a copy of Amon Amarths "Twilight of the Thunder God", and it's been love with metal ever since