Metal Storm logo
Do you like Metallica's new album "Death Magnetic"?

Original post

Posted by Savage Messiah, 15.09.2008 - 06:07
Hey guys,

Just thought I'd create a thread so we can clearly see everyone's reaction to Metallica's new album!
Please give a reason for your answer, - let's keep this thread intelligent.

When I first heard Cyanide and The Day That Never Comes, I thought something along the lines of "wtf". Then I bought the album and listened to the entire thing in the car on my way to work.
IMO this album is good in its entirety, I enjoyed listening to the entire album, it would seem that the songs sound better in the context of the entire album, rather than by themselves.

In future (if they make another album) I would like to see some more aggressive vocal work from James, an updated knowledge of drum techniques and solos from Lars, perhaps a solo from Rob and a few solos that have actual FEELING from Kirk.

As I said, in its entirety this album makes for a good listen, so I give it the thumbs up.
I think that if Metallica create another album, it will be better. I see this album as a milestone towards their old metal-selves.

Poll

Do you like Metallica's new album "Death Magnetic"?

Yeah it's alright.
Yes, it's awesome!
Not really, no.
Absolutely hated it.
Haven't heard it yet.
Still making my mind up.

Total votes: 243
19.09.2009 - 20:58
MetallicA
Holy shit there's alot to read in here...

anyways, I say yes, I like it. They totally redeemed themselves after their last fiasco they released. Yeah it's no Ride the Lightning or Master of Puppets but it comes close especially for something released in the new millenium. Great stuff!

ps - guess who my favorite band is...? haha
----

God's disciples want you to die!
In the blazing inferno
Slewed on Satan's pitchfork
Burning for eternity
Death
I see it coming your way
by my hand... or by your fate
with no remorse.
19.09.2009 - 23:33
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by MetallicA on 19.09.2009 at 20:58

Holy shit there's alot to read in here...

anyways, I say yes, I like it. They totally redeemed themselves after their last fiasco they released. Yeah it's no Ride the Lightning or Master of Puppets but it comes close especially for something released in the new millenium. Great stuff!

ps - guess who my favorite band is...? haha

Bloodbath?
26.09.2009 - 16:49
Panterica
I was shocked, I expected another horrible album, but this album is good! Though James's voice isn't like as it used to be, Kirk is taking over with too many solos and doesn't let the other express themselves, and as always, Lars is the most uncreative drummer I've ever heard in metal. But still, James sounds pretty good with semi-clean vocals and together with Kirk the blistering riffs are back. Worth buying.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
07.11.2009 - 17:49
SatyriconChick
Best album since The Black Album, IMO. I do like Load, liked Reload more, never actually bought St. Anger, but Death Magnetic is pretty damn good.
07.11.2009 - 18:10
sabretooth
Like it
08.11.2009 - 18:37
THE_BLACKANKRA@
Account deleted
Written by Panterica on 26.09.2009 at 16:49

Lars is the most uncreative drummer I've ever heard in metal.

really the most? ;d
15.12.2009 - 17:54
Met@1lurg
Written by KING*OF*DARKNESS on 19.09.2009 at 01:16

Hi.......
The album is old style
h like 2 songs of it

Ok, What Songs?
As for me i prefer All nightmare long, Judas Kiss and Suicide&Redemption
About style - but it is more new than Load|Reload.
15.12.2009 - 19:38
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
It seems that all of the ppl of the world are MDB and metallica's fanbpoys
thats why special and Expert! (true?!) metalheads are so rare!
15.12.2009 - 20:13
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Fanboy or rational listener... you decide.

Metallica

Kill 'Em All 10
Some Kind Of Monster [DVD] 10
Ride The Lightning 10
Live In San Diego [DVD] 10
Master Of Puppets 10
Live From Live Earth [EP] 10
...And Justice For All 10
The Videos 1989-2004 [DVD] 10
Garage Inc. [Compilation] 10
Death Magnetic 10
S&M [Live] 10
Metallica 10
The Unnamed Feeling [EP] 10
Load 9
Reload 9
St. Anger 7
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
16.12.2009 - 18:14
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 15.12.2009 at 20:13

Metallica

Kill 'Em All 10
Ride The Lightning 10
Master Of Puppets 10
Death Magnetic 10
S&M [Live] 10
Metallica 10
Load 9
Reload 9
St. Anger 7

a fan who likes these albums thats all! who is this ? and what is it to me? you cant balme no one who loves a band more than others.
16.12.2009 - 18:17
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Lol! it was me! ok then! death magnetic doesnt deserve 10 I will change it to 9 and load & Reload 8. and as I see 6 of them are lives which metallica is 10 in eveyshow. thats the truth and not a fanatic word man. I believe they are best at the shows.
16.12.2009 - 20:23
Holy Man
STEEL DEFENDER
You know... my drummer swears by it, he's been a Metallica fan since they came out... but I just can't wrap my ears around anything from St. Anger or Death Magnetic. I can tolerate the Load and Re-Loads, but the others just don't appeal to me at all. I'm a fan of the older stuff, even the black album, but the two most recent records are just trash... I will give them credit for trying on Death Magnetic though.
----
LIGHT THE FUSE ON THAT VAGINAMITE!!!
16.12.2009 - 22:51
Overlord_PT
The albums its ok... nothing especial..
17.12.2009 - 12:39
Don Martin
le fu-
I like it! Great songs and some actual SOLO'S!
Guess what t-shirt I am wearing right now?
----
What a tackastrophe!
17.12.2009 - 22:07
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
I listened to DM again, it derserves a 10 changed it to 10 again.
17.12.2009 - 22:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Yes, we know you are a totally blind and deaf fanboy
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.12.2009 - 22:31
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Are you all right, TBG?
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
17.12.2009 - 22:38
TheOwl
I think DM is a great turn on Metallica's discography towards their older classic sound and at the same time it sounds very fresh! Definitely 10/10!
17.12.2009 - 22:49
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by [user id=31891] on 16.12.2009 at 18:14

Metallica

Kill 'Em All 10
Ride The Lightning 10
Master Of Puppets 10
Death Magnetic 10
S&M [Live] 10
Metallica 10
Load 9
Reload 9
St. Anger 7

a fan who likes these albums thats all! who is this ? and what is it to me? you cant balme no one who loves a band more than others.

no, i cannot blame someone who has a favorite band.

what i can do is mock "someone's" inability to listen to music with the slightest bit of objectivity.

you've handed out more "perfect" scores to one band than i have total to the 494 albums i've voted for. it's absurd. Lars could probably make an audio recording of him on the toilet fighting a bout of explosive diarrhea while someone played gore-grind covers on a pan flute in the background and you'd score it an 9 ffs.

the fact that you can put on "DM" and score it a 10, despite the huge gaping flaws in the actual sound coming out of your speakers/headphones shows that you must have been kicked in the head by some farm animal and have suffered severe hearing loss.

the big issue i have with you and your unrelenting attempts to somehow validate your useless opinions by citing any of the other fools on this site that thinks anything with distorted guitars put on tape is a 10 ... and pretty much attempting (feebly at that) to attack anyone whose opinion of an artist varies from yours.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.12.2009 - 23:23
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 17.12.2009 at 22:49

Written by [user id=31891] on 16.12.2009 at 18:14

Metallica

Kill 'Em All 10
Ride The Lightning 10
Master Of Puppets 10
Death Magnetic 10
S&M [Live] 10
Metallica 10
Load 9
Reload 9
St. Anger 7

no, i cannot blame someone who has a favorite band.

what i can do is mock "someone's" inability to listen to music with the slightest bit of objectivity.

you've handed out more "perfect" scores to one band than i have total to the 494 albums i've voted for. it's absurd. Lars could probably make an audio recording of him on the toilet fighting a bout of explosive diarrhea while someone played gore-grind covers on a pan flute in the background and you'd score it an 9 ffs.

the fact that you can put on "DM" and score it a 10, despite the huge gaping flaws in the actual sound coming out of your speakers/headphones shows that you must have been kicked in the head by some farm animal and have suffered severe hearing loss.

the big issue i have with you and your unrelenting attempts to somehow validate your useless opinions by citing any of the other fools on this site that thinks anything with distorted guitars put on tape is a 10 ... and pretty much attempting (feebly at that) to attack anyone whose opinion of an artist varies from yours.

Im not an Expert I just love this album. and its 10 for me Im on it right now and I like all tracks but 2 first songs. and they are nice too but not as others.
18.12.2009 - 03:23
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.12.2009 at 22:31

Yes, we know you are a totally blind and deaf fanboy

god knows that Im not blind, I just like james and like his acts I like him as a father hehe. DM seems nice to me and I really enjoyed it from the very first time. just didnt like unforgiven III so much. but today I like it either! but 2 first songs are not same as the other songs. Im not deff man, metallica is always great if they werent, why did you go their new concert? you were at their old concerts for times. so they had somthin for you again. and again, DM is not a masterpiece but I dont have to vote 10 for jsut masterpiefce albums. I like to give high votes, why low? normaly I dont vote for albums which I dont like thats why I have a lot of 8 9 and 10 votes. Im MERCIFUL I hate low votes.

Edit: as often I had a lot of grammatically problem which I couldnt read my own post. solved!
18.12.2009 - 03:27
Richard
Elite
Written by [user id=31891] on 18.12.2009 at 03:23

DM seems nice to me and I really enjoyed it from the very first time. just didnt like unforgiven III so much. but today I like it either!

I actually think Unforgiven III is one of the best songs on the album.. Close enough to the original to be a valid continuation of the theme, but different enough to be a great song in its own right.
----
18.12.2009 - 03:36
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Richard on 18.12.2009 at 03:27

Written by [user id=31891] on 18.12.2009 at 03:23

DM seems nice to me and I really enjoyed it from the very first time. just didnt like unforgiven III so much. but today I like it either!

I actually think Unforgiven III is one of the best songs on the album.. Close enough to the original to be a valid continuation of the theme, but different enough to be a great song in its own right.

it shows how you are honest. I wasnt before casue even if I am fanboy (in their eyes). I had to say that there is a ballad which is not metal. and if its not so metal its bad.
19.12.2009 - 04:15
This album was just overall boring for me it just sounds so average.
----
As if they were tearing through my flesh, it was embedded in my mind
That Jesus died for me... How foolish can they be
23.12.2009 - 21:16
I_Die_Often
I think it's good but I can't get myself to spin it due to radio and cable overplay!!!!
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
25.12.2009 - 06:59
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
This album actually got me into the band. Their early stuff was too much for me at the time, and their later albums like Load, ReLoad and St.Anger just sucked in my opinion. Death Magnetic however was exactly what I was looking for at the time and it progressed me into their earlier stuff, which now I do enjoy quite a lot. Ride the Lightning followed by Master of Puppets are probably my favourite albums by them though. But I'll always give Death Magnetic credit for getting me into the band.
31.12.2009 - 19:25
_HIV_
Need to give lars some drum lessons ... and hook james back to the alcohol and maybe albums wouldn't suck as much as DM did ... i even find some tracks from St. Anger better! all in all horrible record (in my opinion)
01.01.2010 - 00:10
seedsofhate
Worst album since St. Anger. Hetfield's vocals are generic, kirk's solos are overdone, and I don't think I even need to mention Lars Urlich. This band has become a mainstream, red carpet icon with only one thing in mind: money. Absolutely no passion for music whatsoever, and proved that statement when they sued napster. Yeah, I know it's unrealistic to expect another Kill Em' All or Master of Puppets, but this album doesn't suck because it's not like the older stuff, it sucks because it sucks. There comes a time when every band needs to stop making music, and Metallica has long surpassed their prime.
01.01.2010 - 00:45
seedsofhate
Modern metal sucks. I have yet to hear a modern metal band that's up to par with the classics such as Megadeth, Slayer, Pantera, etc. I can fully understand that the change and evolution of music is inevitable, but unfortunately for the sake of metal, talent has been sacrificied. I have tried, tried, and tried to open my mind to this new crap, and have now finally come to terms with the fact that new metal sucks, and my hopes for a good band to surface are crushed. They all sound remotely the same to me: obnoxious 'vocalists' screaming from their throats, excessive speed, with cheesy lyrics that put the icing on top of the shitcake. What's with all this bullshit throat screaming garbage? I by no means declare myself as having a professional understanding of music. I'm not familiar with the exact definitions of music terminology such as "tempo," or "melody." I completely base this opinion off of the fact that I'm the consumer of the music industry, and this stuff sounds like shit to me. I know there's a lot of long haired pot smoking pseudo-intellectuals (sure I'm sweeping overgeneralizations, but sometimes you need to do that in order to get a point across) that eat up bands like Iced Earth, thinking there's actual artisitic value in it. Instead of bands competing for qualitiy of sound and emotion, they all attempt to outdo each other by releasing albums that are heavier or faster than the last. There's so many other things I can discuss about hating modern metal. To end on a good note, some of the older bands still make great music, and I especially like the album "Christ Illusion" that slayer came out with a few years back.
01.01.2010 - 19:30
Gordon Freeman
Written by seedsofhate on 01.01.2010 at 00:45

Modern metal sucks. I have yet to hear a modern metal band that's up to par with the classics such as Megadeth, Slayer, Pantera, etc. I can fully understand that the change and evolution of music is inevitable, but unfortunately for the sake of metal, talent has been sacrificied. I have tried, tried, and tried to open my mind to this new crap, and have now finally come to terms with the fact that new metal sucks, and my hopes for a good band to surface are crushed. They all sound remotely the same to me: obnoxious 'vocalists' screaming from their throats, excessive speed, with cheesy lyrics that put the icing on top of the shitcake. What's with all this bullshit throat screaming garbage? I by no means declare myself as having a professional understanding of music. I'm not familiar with the exact definitions of music terminology such as "tempo," or "melody." I completely base this opinion off of the fact that I'm the consumer of the music industry, and this stuff sounds like shit to me. I know there's a lot of long haired pot smoking pseudo-intellectuals (sure I'm sweeping overgeneralizations, but sometimes you need to do that in order to get a point across) that eat up bands like Iced Earth, thinking there's actual artisitic value in it. Instead of bands competing for qualitiy of sound and emotion, they all attempt to outdo each other by releasing albums that are heavier or faster than the last. There's so many other things I can discuss about hating modern metal. To end on a good note, some of the older bands still make great music, and I especially like the album "Christ Illusion" that slayer came out with a few years back.

For the sake of understanding whatever the hell it is you are ranting about, what exactly are you referring to when you say "modern metal"? Could you give us an example perhaps?
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking