Metal Storm logo
New Album Recommendations 2018

Original post

Posted by 3rdWorld, 05.01.2018 - 19:27
You know the drill, post any metal album released/upcoming in 2018 that you listened, found worthy and want to recommend to others.

UK one-man black metal with a heavy wall-of-noise production. Its on Sentient Ruin, so guaranteed to deliver.

Vessel Of Iniquity - Vessel Of Iniquity

14.07.2018 - 16:30
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Time for some weird stuff:

Los Crveles has a new album! Gotta love blackened surf rock.

Gallow's Forest does some kind of avantgarde lofi blackened death with funky folky instruments:

And this is a Finnish band with a long unpronountiable name doing some good quality punky thrashy (grind)hardcore

And Lunar Haze does instrumental neoclassical metal, except that you know... The good kind
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
14.07.2018 - 18:22
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Very aggressive and loud blackened post-hardcore/black metal. Really fresh sounding with good songwriting.

Tuscoma - Arkhitecturenominus

15.07.2018 - 03:40
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Dautha plays traditional doom metal in the vein of Candlemass and Spiritus Mortis. What makes this album special is the damn fine vocals, think of a much less cheesy Messiah. There's also a strong pressence of the violin, some sweet melodies thanks to that instrument.

----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
15.07.2018 - 10:46
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by Mercurial on 10.07.2018 at 11:30

Varied, atmospheric and doomy old school death.

Ritual Necromancy

I second this. Best dm for me so far.....
18.07.2018 - 01:02
Mercurial
What was originally to be a track for a split with Woe became a solitary song on a 10". Very good black metal.

Ultha

Superb sludge, noise / post / rock / metal something.

At The Graves

Pretty interesting death metal this. Only two songs sadly, and they clearly had different production processes, but that second track is killer.

Ensepulchre

Warm, hazy psychedelic sludge. Digging his.

Bleeth

New thing from Psilocybe Larvae. Remember a few people on this site went lala over their previous album.

Psilocybe Larvae

Not only are Aevangelist butchering their new records with subpar production, they even wrecked some of their older stuff with it as well in this new compilation, including Pendulum which is probably their best piece. Now ruined. (FYI it used to sound like this).

Ævangelist

Burial Hordes new one sounds like it's going to be some nice earthy, modern black metal.

18.07.2018 - 08:50
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Ladies and germs, I present to you - INFOCORE.

The Alex Jones Prison Planet

18.07.2018 - 12:39
Mercurial
^ Lol, surprisingly not bad.

Excellent, bizarro and somewhat experimental dissonant bm, with tons of atmosphere and off kilter vocals.

Aseroe

Rather atmospheric, soft-noise, seemingly improv black metal with esoteric folk touches. Two very long songs.

Träldom

Strange, avant-garde, almost industrial death metal. I like the artwork more than the music.

Lautreamont

Avant-garde, post-black. Vocals slightly make this appeal to me less but musically it's some very nice chaos.

Ophe

Really nice, emotional prog doom, with a stoner band name.

Garganjua

Ultra heavy, aggressive post-metal / atmos-sludge.

Yashira

Instrumental, proggy, jazzy avant-garde metal. Sounds good from the one track.

Zevious
18.07.2018 - 23:21
Mercurial
First new Essenz record in many years. Thought these guys had a bigger profile on here, but I guess not. Blackened death thing.

Probably just in the right mood, but digging this. Burzum-ish, raw and melancholic bm. [edit] Third listen: nope this is great. Ultra simple, ultra effective. Looking forward to the whole thing.

19.07.2018 - 01:16
ZÖN
My band Noosefiller is proud to finally release our third album, technical and progressive black metal for fans of Thantifaxath and Gorguts

----
http://www.last.fm/user/templeruins

https://ququmatz.bandcamp.com/releases Progressive/experimental black metal
https://znmusic.bandcamp.com/ Avant-garde drone metal, ambient, noise
https://noosefiller.bandcamp.com/ Experimental raw black metal/noise
19.07.2018 - 18:13
Mercurial
Stripped back doom / sludge. Heavy, bleak and really good. I really like this one for some reason.

Foehammer

Fuzzy-wuzzy female led doom.

Haunted

The release date of this EP has to be the most confusing in history. I posted a record with this artwork back in 2015 I think, which was a demo, and again at some point, possibly last year. And here it is now supposedly the full thing. It's good anyway, even if this is the third time I've posted it.

GraveCoven

More doom of some kind, also with female vocals. Nice.

Leonov

Possibly posted elsewhere, found it in my Firefox pocket. Sounds like world class blackened death.

Hypnosinosis

More from the pocket storage thing. Dissonant black / death. Again, sounds great.

Lowered

New Bosse De Nage track up.

19.07.2018 - 23:02
3rdWorld
China was a neat
New stuff on Pelagic records featuring Intronaut members.

Future Usses

19.07.2018 - 23:03
Mercurial
Yes, another Owl record this year this one is more doomy, and weird.

Great sounding melodic black. Not a million miles away from Windir.

Also, I don't want to forget about this. From Skaphe's H.V Lyngdal. Sounds like it'll be the death metal version of Skaphe.

20.07.2018 - 14:56
Paz
Elite
Written by Mercurial on 19.07.2018 at 23:03

From Skaphe's H.V Lyngdal.

You mean the Wormlust guy He only did the artworks for Skáphe.
20.07.2018 - 16:39
Mercurial
Written by Paz on 20.07.2018 at 14:56

You mean the Wormlust guy He only did the artworks for Skáphe.

Lol, whoops

This is out in full now. I think it's going to take a couple of listens to figure out whether or not I enjoy it, but they definitely have found a unique style of playing here. Somewhat deconstructive black / death metal with maybe a shade or two of Triptykon. It's definitely well done.

Khanus
20.07.2018 - 19:23
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by Mercurial on 19.07.2018 at 23:03

From Skaphe's H.V Lyngdal. Sounds like it'll be the death metal version of Skaphe.

Sounds like Skaphe quite a lot, in my ears it sounds death/black. If the whole thing is like that it will be amazing.
20.07.2018 - 20:36
Mercurial
Written by [user id=173045] on 20.07.2018 at 19:23

Sounds like Skaphe quite a lot, in my ears it sounds death/black. If the whole thing is like that it will be amazing.

Yeah it's gonna be good one I reckon.
21.07.2018 - 00:37
ZÖN
I'm actually doing a split with Gallow's Forest. Pretty cool album.

I can't wait to hear the excuse the metal archives come up with for rejecting the new Noosefiller
----
http://www.last.fm/user/templeruins

https://ququmatz.bandcamp.com/releases Progressive/experimental black metal
https://znmusic.bandcamp.com/ Avant-garde drone metal, ambient, noise
https://noosefiller.bandcamp.com/ Experimental raw black metal/noise
21.07.2018 - 21:32
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by 3rdWorld on 13.07.2018 at 17:53

Portal-ian blackened death metal from US.

Infernal Coil

Its a great song, not that much Portal in my ears. Profound lore has had a bad year but this one could be good. Billy andersson is doing engineering.
22.07.2018 - 01:27
togo95
Spectral Wound - Infernal Decadence

Probably the best black metal I have heard from this year thus far. Nothing innovative, but it is really solid with good production.

22.07.2018 - 15:27
3rdWorld
China was a neat
New Ennui track streaming. Haven't checked out their earlier albums but this sounds like great funeral doom.

Ennui

The latest Void Eater ep sounds as insane as it should and more than makes up for the lack of new Obliteration material.

Void Eater - III

23.07.2018 - 23:11
Mercurial
Absolutey sickening death metal here. They got nasty down to an art.

Atavisma

ColdWorld have been busy. First they released a dark ambient EP.

ColdWorld

And they also released a tribute to classic sounding black metal.

ColdWorld

Really great sounding and written black metal. Not avant-garde or anything, but it definitely sounds unique despite the classic approach.

Svartmálm

The Japanese Aborted? [EDIT] probably not Japanese. Can't find out where they're from.

Carthage

This is very cool. You get prog black bands, but you don't get many prog bands that make use of black metal elements whilst maintain the prog core. This band does that.

Giant of the Mountain

Progressive death metal that sounds like it was made in the late 90s. I really wish the vocals weren't so foregrounded in the mix, as the songwriting and sound is classic retro prog death.

Kizin

Pretty fun, craft-beer themed classic hardcore. I love that they have a song called 'Wolves In The Taproom'.

Trappist
24.07.2018 - 02:55
tominator
At best deranged
Contributor
Some really solid Brazilian death metal.

24.07.2018 - 17:53
3rdWorld
China was a neat
This is the kind of new music that makes days.

Cloak of Altering

24.07.2018 - 18:38
Mercurial
Reeeally digging the sound of this. Some kind of ambient, maybe even oddly symphonic, blackened funeral doom. The whole thing is just a really eerie, alien landscape of sound wih great use of effects and instruments. Not abrasive at all, but definitley weird.

24.07.2018 - 19:31
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by [user id=173045] on 22.06.2018 at 23:20

RIPIS - I like this and I am pretty sure that this will be liked by the semi big mass that isnt the biggest mass, but they dont read this thread so they probably catch up a couple of releases further down the line. Its standard doom with cleans, sounds a bit gaze at times but its great. And artwork is?

Yeah great stuff this, spinning it right now. And indeed artwork is really atmospheric.

26.07.2018 - 13:33
Mercurial
Psychedelic, cosmic death metal. Rather well done example of a rare genre mix.

Deconstructing Sequence

Highly varied avant-garde black / hardcore. Not sure I like it personally but I can see others doing so.

Violence Mortuaire

Technical thrash with Orwellian and Huxleyan themes. Vocals again take this down a notch, which is par for the course with thrash, but musically quite good.

Quasarborn

This sounds really interesting. Couldn't put a genre to it, some kind of terror-inducing, atmospheric technical death / black metal. Song can only be listened to from the No Clean Singing page it seems..

Full stream of Decline of the I's new album. I recall them being a pretty good post-black band when I recced them here a while ago.

26.07.2018 - 16:44
Mercurial
New AFoS, chaps.

26.07.2018 - 17:14
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^Yay. More black metal and less prog. I hope it's all like that
----
- Reimu Hakurei
26.07.2018 - 17:14
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Goddamit, I hate it when I use ^ instead of quoting and it goes to the next page
----
- Reimu Hakurei
27.07.2018 - 17:15
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Experimental blackened ambiented doom:

Nagaarum - Apples
----
- Reimu Hakurei