Metal Storm logo
Nu Metal bands you like

Original post

Posted by +{Jonas}+, 16.03.2007 - 01:51
So, the title says it all. I made this so the ones here that like nu metal can discuss about the bands we like. So about me, I like:

Godsmack (Although for me it's Alternative), because their songs are really cool, and they have great lyrics and the "Changes" DVD is simply awesome, and theitr drums are great. Sully's voice is quite unique, and their lyrics are pretty nice.

Slipknot, because of their energy, the outfits look great, and their lyrics make me laugh, besides their live shows are quite impressive. Also Vol. 3 is a change, IMO they found that they don't have to scream for everything, and they prove it with a great accoustic song.

Disturbed: David's voice is great. and with their thrid album,. 10.000 fists" they try a new, more melodic sound. besides Dan Donegan proves himself as a great guitar player

KoRn: But only the first albums.

Evanescence, because Amy lee has a great voice, but their last album, "The Open Door" was a big letdown for me.

Also Adema, TrustCompany, Breaking Benjamin, Linkin Park, Chevelle, Mudvayne, Soil and I enjoy Metallica's St. Anger.

So that's it. If you have band suggestions you can and must post them as well. If you don't like Nu metal, please don't post bashing bands and attacking with things like "X band sucks" or "Nu metal sucks". Please, let's have some respect for the other fellow MSers taste.
06.09.2009 - 18:45
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Chevelle's new CD is out - it's pretty good, sounds like all their other albums - which is fine if you're a Chevelle fan like me!
----
rekt
07.09.2009 - 13:48
Valentin B
Iconoclast
If new in flames is considered "Nu" then i'm all for it lol, apart from maybe The Chosen Pessimist, i love all their new songs, especially Delight and Angers and My Sweet Shadow
07.09.2009 - 14:01
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Valentin B on 07.09.2009 at 13:48

If new in flames is considered "Nu" then i'm all for it lol, apart from maybe The Chosen Pessimist, i love all their new songs, especially Delight and Angers and My Sweet Shadow

LOL POSER HATE HATE HATE!

Nah, some of the new material ain't that terrible after all, there are "non-poser" bands that suck much more, I remember I liked Touch of Red a lot back in the days.

Haven't checked anything after Soundtrack to Your Escape though, tbh
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
07.09.2009 - 14:06
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Elio on 07.09.2009 at 14:01

Nah, some of the new material ain't that terrible after all, there are "non-poser" bands that suck much more, I remember I liked Touch of Red a lot back in the days.

try Delight and Angers, The Mirror's Truth, Take This Life, Dead End, Crawl Through Knives, etc. though i won't deny that as a whole the albums aren't too interesting(too many slow emo-like parts)
07.09.2009 - 14:11
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Valentin B on 07.09.2009 at 14:06

Written by Elio on 07.09.2009 at 14:01

try Delight and Angers, The Mirror's Truth, Take This Life, Dead End, Crawl Through Knives, etc. though i won't deny that as a whole the albums aren't too interesting(too many slow emo-like parts)

Yeah I agree that as stand-alone songs they are much better cause an album like that sounds flat after a bit. I know Take This Life and Crawl Through Knives, actually now I remember that I gave a chance to that album (can't remember its name atm) but I wasn't impressed.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
07.09.2009 - 14:11
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Come Clarity
24.09.2009 - 15:46
SerratedSyringe
What a fun topic I don't know the exact definition of "Nu Metal" but I do enjoy bands such as Coal Chamber, Static-X, Mushroomhead, Insane Clown Posse, Five Finger Death Punch, and (unfortunately) Slipknot.

Does anyone know about the beef between Slipknot and Mushroomhead? What do you think?
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
24.09.2009 - 17:56
Seeing as everyone insists on calling Soulfly nu-metal, I'll say that I enjoy Soulfly. And I also enjoyed Roots and post-max Sepultura.

And St. Anger is NOT nu-metal. I think people have taken the constant use of the word "mallcore" and made it synomynous with nu-metal. St. Anger might be different but it's not nu-metal. I personally love it.
25.09.2009 - 20:58
brapp32
From what I've read the beef between slipknot and mushroomhead started when slipknot did a show in Cleveland Ohio. During their set someone in the crowd hit the bass player from slipknot in the face with a 9 volt battery. After the show slipknot jumped into the crowd and started fighting with fans. From there all the shit talk started from both sides. It's more of a beef between fans of the bands then the actual bands themselves. I read a thing the other day that said it's basically a dead issue and members of slipknot and mushroomhead were seen hanging out at a bar after slipknot performed in Cleveland.
25.09.2009 - 21:18
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Written by brapp32 on 25.09.2009 at 20:58

...the beef between slipknot and mushroomhead...

If i'm not mistaken there's always been a struggle over the masks too. Mushroomhead accusing Slipknot of stealing the idea...
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
26.09.2009 - 06:22
brapp32
You are correct. They have been arguing that for years.
27.09.2009 - 01:40
SerratedSyringe
Considering Mushroomhead has been around two years longer than Slipknot, wearing masks streight from the get-go I would probably side with them.
----
27.09.2009 - 12:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by SerratedSyringe on 27.09.2009 at 01:40

Considering Mushroomhead has been around two years longer than Slipknot, wearing masks streight from the get-go I would probably side with them.

But masks have been worn by bands long before even Mushroomhead started so the entire feud between Mushroomhead and Slipknot is ridiculous.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.09.2009 - 18:43
SerratedSyringe
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.09.2009 at 12:45

Written by SerratedSyringe on 27.09.2009 at 01:40

But masks have been worn by bands long before even Mushroomhead started so the entire feud between Mushroomhead and Slipknot is ridiculous.

I agree. Mushroom head was not the first, nor the last band to wear masks on stage. However, at the time of thier formation they were original, both in appearance and sound. Come two years later and a little band out of Iowa named Slipknot shows up with a similar sound and image, gets a major record deal and blows up. I can see how this would stirr some emotions.
----
14.10.2009 - 15:20
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
For me, Nu Metal was just a matter of age. As a teenager, there was a time when Slipknot and Disturbed were my all time favourits...But now, not only i don't like them that much but also find them pretty....ehmm...stupid.
Thus, Disturbed's indestructible is good to listen to from time to time for a change.
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
03.11.2009 - 14:04
Have to agree with the above poster. If you were too old or young for nu-metal, it'll never slide with you. I got into music bang on the time of nu-metal and, to me, Korn and Slipknot were absolutely fantastic at the time. I have various memories from a time where me and my friends were hugely into nu-metal, and that is something which I can't deny.

I may not like nu-metal anymore, but there is far worse genres to me. People who were around during the glam metal days will probably say the same thing about glam. Because it was part of their generation growing up, you can't deny that it helped shape you into what you are today.
03.11.2009 - 18:33
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I am nothing like the above two posters!

I got into metal during the late 80's, but mostly the early 90's. So by the time nu-metal came along, I was already a metalhead who loved most metal genres. (Traditional, power, death, thrash, grind, doom...etc) Nu metal was fresh when it came out, though most bands of that style don't do much for me. However, I very much like the first two Korn albums. I also love Slipknot, though I would debate that they are not really a nu-metal band at all. I disagree with "Come Clarity" being nu metal. To me, any band that features thrash or blast beats, or death metallish riffs cannot be nu-metal.
20.11.2009 - 04:17
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Well I rediscovered Static-X recently and IMO they're not as Nu as people say they are they're more industrial than anything else, even if their latest albums aren't as industrial as the first ones. Still it's a really cool catchy band.

Also, Chevelle´s new album is really cool, even if I can't help myself thinking they take a lot, ALOT of elements from Tool.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
20.11.2009 - 11:39
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 20.11.2009 at 04:17

Also, Chevelle´s new album is really cool, even if I can't help myself thinking they take a lot, ALOT of elements from Tool.

gimme all the tool - wannabies...their sound is unmistakable
----
rekt
30.11.2009 - 02:09
SerratedSyringe

IMO they're not as Nu as people say

Agree.
I think they just get labled as Nu A) because they were around in the 90's, and B) because they have occasional rapping bits.
----
30.11.2009 - 07:30
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by SerratedSyringe on 30.11.2009 at 02:09
IMO they're not as Nu as people say
Agree.
I think they just get labled as Nu A) because they were around in the 90's, and B) because they have occasional rapping bits.
You can't tell me their stuff from around Shadow Zone had nothing to do with bands like Linkin Park and Mudvayne...
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
09.01.2010 - 02:50
I_Die_Often
Alright kids!
Us old guys like some of this stuff too!
I fist saw KoRn in Oct 1996.
I also like Static X, Deftones, some Disturbed, Soulfly, Slipknot, American Head Charge, Mushroomhead, Coal Chamber, Drowning Pool, White/Rob Zombie... I even have a Three Days Grace cd...
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
19.01.2010 - 21:19
brapp32
Check out Stemm,Sickle,Syx,454,Psychostick,Hemlock,End of the Rope,Kryoburn,and The Venting Machine.
22.02.2010 - 00:19
Gobobbles
Account deleted
I'm not really positive what constitutes a NU metal band anymore...I tend to lump lots of bands into this genre, but here are the bands I like that are what I consider NU metal:

Tool
System of a Down (early stuff...last 2 albums blew)
Korn (early stuff...first 4 albums)
Disturbed...well really only the first album
White Zombie/Rob Zombie
Slipknot (first album)
Deftones
...and lots of bands that only have 1 or 2 songs I like
22.02.2010 - 18:25
MeTalRea|istiK
Slipknot sounds ok
25.02.2010 - 01:12
JÄY
Metal slave
I find this thread to be an oxymoron
06.03.2010 - 04:04
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
Korn: they manage to get a lot of emotion in their songs without sounding too whiny and the rap influence is actually added very well, unlike Linkin Park and Papa Roach which fail.

Clawfinger: another band that puts rap influence to good use. The vocalist has a pretty awesome voice and the lyrics are awesome. I consider them more industrial metal though, but they are considered one of the pioneers of nu-metal actually.

System of a Down: very creative music, I consider them more alt-metal though.

Drowning Pool: Their first album is awesome, their other two are okay but not as much. Their fourth album is probably gonna suck as their latest single sounds like a lame Nickleback clone.

I like Disturbed's mid-late stuff, I like Down with the Sickness from their first album but not much more. And I've heard a few Godsmack songs that are pretty cool, mainly from their "Faceless" album, their latest stuff seems to sound like shitty Nickleback clone music though. Oddly enough, there is that one Nickleback song "Burn it to Ground" that has a pretty awesome riff in it.

Anyways, that's pretty much the majority of nu-metal that I like, most of the others get pretty annoying to listen to for me.
06.03.2010 - 08:45
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by JÄY on 25.02.2010 at 01:12

Why? There are decent nu metal bands out there...
06.03.2010 - 17:50
Lord_Regnier
Written by Angelic Storm on 03.11.2009 at 18:33

I got into metal during the late 80's, but mostly the early 90's. So by the time nu-metal came along, I was already a metalhead who loved most metal genres. (Traditional, power, death, thrash, grind, doom...etc)

I guess you're probably only 4-5 years younger than me, then. That's what I suspected.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
06.03.2010 - 20:41
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=2084] on 06.03.2010 at 08:45

Written by JÄY on 25.02.2010 at 01:12

Why? There are decent nu metal bands out there...

Perhaps he should look up the definition of oxymoron, then somehow apply it to the title of this thread.

Trolling in a nu-metal related thread? How original, never seen it done before. Good to see his thoughts on it though, I can sleep better at night now that I know his opinion on nu metal.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin