Metal Storm logo
What is the heaviest album ever?

Original post

Posted by , 12.02.2008 - 14:53
So, what is the album that is so brutal that it just destroys everything in it's path?

Of course people have different opinions as to what is heavy, brutal etc.. Sure there are countless grind/death bands who think they need to play crappy chromatic/atonal riffs and blast over everything, but IMO that isn't what makes something heavy.

For me, it's "Realm Of Chaos" by Bolt Thrower. I was going to try and explain why I think this is the heaviest ever, but there is a review on MA entitled "Deathgrind's Ultimate Avatar" which describes it perfectly. Read it, you might be convinced. Any contenders?
30.12.2018 - 03:59
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
My Acid Bath - Paegan Terrorism Tactics cd was so (literally) heavy that my fucking cd player or pc couldn't play it. The disk weighed like 4x normal...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
30.12.2018 - 13:25
Zap
Written by BitterCOld on 30.12.2018 at 03:59

My Acid Bath - Paegan Terrorism Tactics cd was so (literally) heavy that my fucking cd player or pc couldn't play it. The disk weighed like 4x normal...

Hahaha pretty useless CD...
30.12.2018 - 14:57
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Zap on 30.12.2018 at 13:25

Hahaha pretty useless CD...

That it was.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
28.06.2020 - 20:51
Zopilote

Obituary - Slowly We Rot

Cannibal Corpse - Tomb of the Mutilated

Death - Leprosy

Sepultura - Beneath The Remains
22.04.2021 - 22:56
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
I like how you mentioned Realm of Chaos by Bolt Thrower, that is a seriously heavy album. For me it would be Codex Necro by Annal Nathrakh.
07.07.2021 - 18:27
Mehrad

I don't know about THE heaviest album, but 'Abandon All Life' by Nails is heavy AF.
Conan's 'Blood Eagle' and Love Sex Machine's debut are both pretty fucking heavy too.
also Gojira's 'The Link' and 'Terra Incognita'.
----
Ride a horse that's cleaving through the air and space of dreams.
06.08.2021 - 09:21
Ganondox

Frontierer - Orange Mathematics
11.09.2021 - 11:19
Miohn

I think that the great diversity in albums being mentioned is in itself self explanatory: the answer to this question will be highly subjective and will also depend on where you position yourself on the "heaviness spectrum" (yeah, let's call it a spectrum ). The more metal bands/albums you discover, the more likely you will stumble upon something that is again heavier than what you considered "heaviest" up until that time. So you will shift on the heaviness spectrum. So I would like to counter the comments saying "c'mon, that is totally not heavy": it's all good where you are on this spectrum at the moment, FOR YOU it will be the heaviest music you have heard in the whole world.

I agree with the people saying that the heaviest albums are not necessarily the fast brutal death metal ones. I also go for slow and crushing. My picks:

Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
Temple of Void - The World That Was
Meshuggah - Catch 33
Disembowelment - Transcendense
Celtic Frost - Monotheist

But I assure you, you will get a totally different list if you ask me this same question in a few weeks
----
"A true warrior is a thinker, seeking the key to liberation. Not always through direct action, but by the means of education" - From 'Wartime' by Facedown
12.09.2021 - 13:44
sgtrobo

@Miohn said it.

Disembowelment - Transcendence into the Peripheral
absolutely crushing
22.11.2023 - 19:42
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
The Call of the Wretched Sea by Ahab

For me, heaviness means slow, steady, and absolutely crushing. And practically nothing compares to the sensations of being hit by the riptide of these rolling sonic waves of doom. The vocals seem to get lower and lower in their delivery, reaching a baffling depth on the last track especially. And the contrast with the bright lead guitar tunes and keyboard melodies simply emphasize the megaton heaviness of the rhythmic riffs. Turn the volume on this baby up to 1000% and let these thunderous sounds swallow you whole.

Some close contenders:
Cherno by Kypck
Dopethrone by Electric Wizard
The Art of Self Defense by High On Fire
Those Once Loyal by Bolt Thrower
23.11.2023 - 21:31
mde017

For me it will be Cryptopsy "None So Vile". This album just slays, so freaking ripping everything. Phobophile just demonstrates it best, the track is getting faster and faster, heavier and heavier. When you think they achieved max gear they turn on the next one.
----
Okręt mój płynie dalej gdzieś tam
Serce choć popękane chce bić
Nie ma Cię i nie było jest noc
Nie ma mnie i nie było jest dzień
24.11.2023 - 02:58
Celtic Frost's Monotheist comes to mind. It's a whole slab of oppressive heaviness.
24.11.2023 - 10:45
Ball Fondlers

Written by mde017 on 23.11.2023 at 21:31

For me it will be Cryptopsy "None So Vile". This album just slays, so freaking ripping everything. Phobophile just demonstrates it best, the track is getting faster and faster, heavier and heavier. When you think they achieved max gear they turn on the next one.

Very heavy! For me too heavy, I've listened to it many times over the years, it's definitely never clicked with me... and it's not just because it's so fast and heavy.

I'm not sure what the heaviest album is that I've actually liked, as there's plenty that I haven't
24.11.2023 - 10:48
Ball Fondlers

Written by Sidney's Phone on 24.11.2023 at 02:58

Celtic Frost's Monotheist comes to mind. It's a whole slab of oppressive heaviness.

I've never thought of it being a really heavy album, albeit a very good one.

Very creative user name
28.11.2023 - 16:37
MetalstormBANatm

Carnal Forge n Slayer stuff some heaviest tough.
30.01.2024 - 16:31
k@$$3m

I would nominate for sure some of the old Nile and Cryptopsy albums.
----
aka JD
Metalstorm member since 2008