Metal Storm logo
Rough Female Vocals

23.08.2008 - 17:28
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
i believe many people will name Angela Gossow from Arch Enemy when I ask about female growl, but you havent heard Apia Mysteria from Czech melodic black/death band Belligerence then...

i opened this topic, because i am interested in more such a bands and i also want to know your opinion about such women

i have heard about Apia Mysteria, she is quite cute woman with neat voice when not growling...but you wont say this band has female vocalist when you heard them by chance...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

23.08.2008 - 17:35
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Angela Gossow is the Children Of Bodom of Death Metal. Compared to Yoshiko Ohara (Bloody Panda), Runhild Gammelsæter (Khlyst) or Dawn Crosby (Fear Of God, Détente), she would be perfect for reading bedtime stories to little toddlers.

As far as I know, Gossow uses voice enhancers and the others do not. Even if Gossow wouldn't use anything, all three vocalists would blow her out of the water.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
23.08.2008 - 18:03
VPeter
I so agree with Lucas.

my picks:
Lori Bravo (Nuclear Death)
Dr.Mikannibal (Sigh, Providence)
Sabina Classen (Holy Moses)
Tristessa (Astarte)
23.08.2008 - 18:35
Damnated
Churchburner
Be Persecuted, Adorior, Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult, Darkestrah, Demonic Christ, Opera IX, excluding their latest. these are all black metal. these women are really good at what they do, check'em out.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
23.08.2008 - 18:43
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Magali Luyten (Virus IV) the roughest voice you will ever hear, female or male... XD

I've been on a chick kick recently, here are some that I have researched,
Check out:
Mythic
Abnormality
Zeenon
Estuary
Matriarch
Thorr's Hammer
25.08.2008 - 03:54
NITOS
Account deleted
Maria Abaza ( Merlin ) is the roughest animalistic voice I have ever heard, but she's not my fav, I prefer Angela gossow in doomsday machine, my recent fav are Mary Zimmer ( Luna Mortis ), and Kate French ( Vainglory )
25.08.2008 - 15:24
HugeTheConqeror
Cadaveria, former lead vocalist for Opera IX, and now fronting her own band, has a really frightening Black Metal rasp.
----
Pardon me while I wreak my vengeance.
30.08.2008 - 21:33
Abattoir
Staff
One of the most brutal female growls I have ever heard would be probably from this little chick - Rachel Heyzer-Kloosterwaard...she was two years with Sinister as far as I know, and I can tell you that she can provide some monstrous sounds.
24.10.2008 - 01:46
gocasaca
Decadence with Kitty Saric.
Girl sounds good - I like song "Corrosion".
24.10.2008 - 01:53
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Otep Shamaya has a pretty decent growl in Otep...the song Blood Pigs is awesome...
24.10.2008 - 06:28
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Decadence has a really nice rough vocalist. I also like another new band called Agnostic, I think. She uses both clean and rough vocals, and I think she does a good job on both.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
24.10.2008 - 06:37
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by Introspekrieg on 23.08.2008 at 18:43

Thorr's Hammer

what the hell. these guys are from the EXACT area I live in and are a good genre and I've never heard of them. weird
----
Coldgrits
24.10.2008 - 20:54
Richard
Elite
Written by Abattoir on 30.08.2008 at 21:33

But the most brutal female growls/voice I have ever heard would be probably from this little chick - Rachel Heyzer-Kloosterwaard...she was two years with Sinister as far as I know, and I can tell you that she is kinda scary

Yeah, and she was previously in a Black/Thrash band called Occult, who were very good. I think they changed their name after she left the band. They had two vocalists, one male and one female (Rachel), often singing at the same time or trading lines. The guy did a higher pitched screech, and Rachel was doing the deep growls, although people would probably assume it'd be the other way round!

BTW, Runhild Gammelsæter (Khlyst) was the same person who was in Thorr's Hammer.. When originally in Thorr's Hammer she was only 17 years old, which makes it even more surprising when you hear her voice!
----
24.10.2008 - 21:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Richard on 24.10.2008 at 20:54

But the most brutal female growls/voice I have ever heard would be probably from this little chick - Rachel Heyzer-Kloosterwaard...she was two years with Sinister as far as I know, and I can tell you that she is kinda scary

Yeah, and she was previously in a Black/Thrash band called Occult, who were very good. I think they changed their name after she left the band. They had two vocalists, one male and one female (Rachel), often singing at the same time or trading lines. The guy did a higher pitched screech, and Rachel was doing the deep growls, although people would probably assume it'd be the other way round!

Yep Occult now goes by the name of Legion Of The Damned since 2005 and they are currently more successful than Occult ever were.

Rachel Keyzer after Occult and SInister also sang in Infinited Hate.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.10.2008 - 21:08
Richard
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.10.2008 at 21:00

Written by Richard on 24.10.2008 at 20:54

Yep Occult now goes by the name of Legion Of The Damned since 2005 and they are currently more successful than Occult ever were.

Rachel Keyzer after Occult and SInister also sang in Infinited Hate.

Is Legion of the Damned completely different to Occult, music-wise? I think it's pointless when a band has released a few albums already but then changes their name and carries on doing the same thing.. But it's good if they've decided to pursue a different direction.

I like the fact that Rachel doesn't exploit her feminity in the way that some female Metal musicians do - i.e. she doesn't pose for provocative photos etc. She's good looking, but doesn't parade her knockers and legs, she just wears the same clothing as her male bandfellows.
----
24.10.2008 - 21:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Richard on 24.10.2008 at 21:08

Is Legion of the Damned completely different to Occult, music-wise? I think it's pointless when a band has released a few albums already but then changes their name and carries on doing the same thing.. But it's good if they've decided to pursue a different direction.

Musically it is almost the same though a bit more German thrash sounding imo. I even think that their latest release was a rerecording of the last Occult album, but nto sure though.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.10.2008 - 22:52
nana.MD
Star-Queen

If I think of female growling, than would be probably the first woman I would remember, nice cute blondie Angie She's quite good at growling, no doubt about that. But the most brutal female growls/voice I have ever heard would be probably from this little chick - Rachel Heyzer-Kloosterwaard...she was two years with Sinister as far as I know, and I can tell you that she is kinda scary
Check the video from one of the bands concert with her on vocals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyFhrRKGxmk&feature=related

OMG those growls are quite brutal!! haven't heard about that band before but i liked it...

...idk if u guys haver heard mechanical god creation, italian bad...this chick has nice growls too

http://www.myspace.com/mechanicalgodcreation
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
24.10.2008 - 23:24
Abattoir
Staff
Written by nana.MD on 24.10.2008 at 22:52

If I think of female growling, than would be probably the first woman I would remember, nice cute blondie Angie She's quite good at growling, no doubt about that. But the most brutal female growls/voice I have ever heard would be probably from this little chick - Rachel Heyzer-Kloosterwaard...she was two years with Sinister as far as I know, and I can tell you that she is kinda scary
Check the video from one of the bands concert with her on vocals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyFhrRKGxmk&feature=related

OMG those growls are quite brutal!! haven't heard about that band before but i liked it...

...idk if u guys haver heard mechanical god creation, italian bad...this chick has nice growls too

http://www.myspace.com/mechanicalgodcreation

Yea, those vocals are quite rough too
24.10.2008 - 23:31
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
A japanese grindcore band called F.I.D. (Flagitious Idiosyncrasy in the Dilapidation) formed only by women: http://www.myspace.com/fidgrind
26.10.2008 - 22:41
TheVonBraun
Account deleted
MAROON!! -- not well known, but def check them out, they rock.
27.10.2008 - 03:52
Richard
Elite
There's also Gallhammer, who are getting much more recognition nowadays. I've still only heard the 'Gloomy Lights' CD, (which I reviewed here), so I'm not sure about their later releases, but the three female bandmembers shared vocal duties on 'G.L.' with quite creepy results.
----
30.10.2008 - 18:29
HugeTheConqeror
Just saw Sigh in Cleveland last month; new member Mikannibal has excellent rough vocals.
----
Pardon me while I wreak my vengeance.
06.11.2008 - 04:59
mortjoyeux
I prefer Zdenka Prado from Estuary(death/thrash metal) to Angela.
Her vocals are rough and raw, and it sounds too good.. Angela's vocals just don't sound as rough as they could be.
06.11.2008 - 05:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Richard on 27.10.2008 at 03:52

There's also Gallhammer, who are getting much more recognition nowadays.

Only because they are three Japanese girls. This band is IMO THE single most hyped thing around currently. Especially in England where Terrorizer dances towards Peacewille's every single wish.
Sorry to say but Gallhammer suck majorly, they are almost on the same shitty level as Striborg (who only get recognition cause some of the Sunn O))) guys like them)

Gallhammer = a total watse of time (imo, of course, who else's opinion can it be? )
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.11.2008 - 06:11
Richard
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.11.2008 at 05:14

Only because they are three Japanese girls. This band is IMO THE single most hyped thing around currently. Especially in England where Terrorizer dances towards Peacewille's every single wish.
Sorry to say but Gallhammer suck majorly, they are almost on the same shitty level as Striborg (who only get recognition cause some of the Sunn O))) guys like them)

Gallhammer = a total watse of time (imo, of course, who else's opinion can it be? )

Well, I know you don't like Hellhammer, so I assumed you wouldn't be too keen on Gallhammer either! Their 'popularity' is rather relative - it's not like they're 'the next big thing', and from what I can gather I don't think they seem to have compromised their sound or image in order to achieve their increasing recognition.

I only vaguely recognise the name 'Striborg' so they can't have had that much recognition!
----
06.11.2008 - 06:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Richard on 06.11.2008 at 06:11

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.11.2008 at 05:14

Well, I know you don't like Hellhammer, so I assumed you wouldn't be too keen on Gallhammer either! Their 'popularity' is rather relative - it's not like they're 'the next big thing', and from what I can gather I don't think they seem to have compromised their sound or image in order to achieve their increasing recognition.

I only vaguely recognise the name 'Striborg' so they can't have had that much recognition!

Treu I don't like Hellhammer, although I do have the Demon Entreails A5 re-release... I know Gallhammer wants to come across as a tribute to Hellhammer but even for me as a non-fan of Hellhammer I find them a disgrace to to hellhammer. I know and do recogocnize Hellhammer's importance to extreme music whereas Gallhammer are typically Japanese by just imitating an giving nothing back to a scene. Original japanese can you name a couple? I doubt it, the only one that comes to mind is Boris the rest are just copycats (even coffin although I think they are one of the best Japanese acts around)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.11.2008 - 16:01
Richard
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.11.2008 at 06:17

Treu I don't like Hellhammer, although I do have the Demon Entreails A5 re-release... I know Gallhammer wants to come across as a tribute to Hellhammer but even for me as a non-fan of Hellhammer I find them a disgrace to to hellhammer. I know and do recogocnize Hellhammer's importance to extreme music whereas Gallhammer are typically Japanese by just imitating an giving nothing back to a scene. Original japanese can you name a couple? I doubt it, the only one that comes to mind is Boris the rest are just copycats (even coffin although I think they are one of the best Japanese acts around)

I don't know many Japanese bands anyway, but how could you forget Sigh?! They're very original, and the first band that springs to mind when I think of Japan.

Anyway, although Gallhammer's influences are evident, it's not like they're a straight Hellhammer tribute band in the way that Warhammer is. They have different things happening in their music, and one of the things that makes Gallhammer stand out a little is the eerie sounding vocals - which brings us back ontopic.
----
06.11.2008 - 17:12
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.11.2008 at 06:17

Original japanese can you name a couple? I doubt it, the only one that comes to mind is Boris the rest are just copycats (even coffin although I think they are one of the best Japanese acts around)

You are forgetting Sigh and my love: Corrupted. And the japanoise scene.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
10.11.2008 - 22:41
DanielViking
Angela Gossow rocks as hell! Holy Moses and Otep vocals are also very good.
19.11.2008 - 00:18
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
No one mentioned Veronica Freeman of US Heavy Metal band Benedictum. I didn't even know it was a woman when I heard them. She is got one of hell of a voice. I am gonna listen to them tomorrow.

By the way, what should I check out with Dawn Crosby first?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy