Messiah Marcolin vs. Robert Lowe

Poll

Your favorite of the two?

Robert Lowe
Messiah Marcolin

Total votes: 30
14.11.2008 - 00:02
Stigmatized
As you may know, Robert Lowe replaced Messiah Marcolin in Candlemass after his second departure from the band. So, barring your opinion on how they fit Candlemass, which vocalist do you prefer? I'm still mulling it over, though I'm leaning toward Messsiah. I will chime as soon as I can make up my mind.

EDIT: I had to vote for Messiah. I love Rob Lowe's voice and I don't think Candlemass could have chosen a better replacement. Messiah's voice sounds more unique to me than Rob Lowe's. Rob may have the better range, but Messiah's sometimes over-the-top style is amazing.
14.11.2008 - 00:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I like more Messiah Marcolin because I like his vocals o Candlemass better, but I do not deny Robert Lowe to, even I like his vocals in Solitude Aternus much better, so I vote for Messiah, realy he si candlemass real vocals and legend, he make this band epic and his epic vocals in early albums was amazing
But dont remeber first album was other vocalist forgot name, I like firts album too
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
14.11.2008 - 00:36
VPeter

An obivious choice for me, one of the reasons why I didn't like Candlemass on first listen was because of Messiah's cheesy power metal vocals and Robert Lowe has way more power and emotion in his voice.
14.11.2008 - 01:16
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Nice poll. I voted for Rob Lowe not only because I like his voice more, but because he has more of a range. Messiah is cool and all, but Rob really makes Candlemass darker.

Both have really good live stage presence tbh.
14.11.2008 - 03:28
-Soulreaper-

Ewww, this is an evil, evil poll...Both are just etremely good vocalists in their own right. I had to go with Messiah though, mainly for the first 4 Candlemass albums. Just complete masterpeices and I have listened to the live versions of Robert Lowe doing songs from the first four and I still think Messiah did a better job with them. But on the other hand Robert Lowe's vocals on King of the Grey Islands were just amazing. Bahhh, I stick with my first statement...evil, evil poll.
14.11.2008 - 12:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by -Soulreaper- on 14.11.2008 at 03:28

Ewww, this is an evil, evil poll...Both are just etremely good vocalists in their own right. I had to go with Messiah though, mainly for the first 4 Candlemass albums.

Messiah didn't sing on the first Candlemass album that was johan Lanquist.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.11.2008 - 16:26
-Soulreaper-

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.11.2008 at 12:01

Ewww, this is an evil, evil poll...Both are just etremely good vocalists in their own right. I had to go with Messiah though, mainly for the first 4 Candlemass albums.

Really? How come I never knew that? I always thought that was Messiah. Well, tells you how much I know. But still, that albums is freaking AMAZING.

Thanks for setting me straight.
14.11.2008 - 16:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by -Soulreaper- on 14.11.2008 at 16:26

Really? How come I never knew that? I always thought that was Messiah. Well, tells you how much I know. But still, that albums is freaking AMAZING.

That's what you get for downloading and nt buying the original
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.11.2008 - 17:31
-Soulreaper-

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.11.2008 at 16:27

Written by -Soulreaper- on 14.11.2008 at 16:26

That's what you get for downloading and nt buying the original

Hah, well If I would have done some research I would have known it I guess.

It just makes me wonder what else I didnt know for the last 10 years. Hmmm....
14.11.2008 - 23:25
Stigmatized

Putting that aside, I'm curious as to who your favorite of these two vocalists is.
15.11.2008 - 00:31
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
I picked Messiah, Rob Lowe doesnt have the same vocal power (or fro ) that Messiah does. his voice is much more tame and refined than Messiah's booming, operatic style. granted they both can sing, but i like Messiah better.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
15.11.2008 - 01:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Stigmatized on 14.11.2008 at 23:25

Putting that aside, I'm curious as to who your favorite of these two vocalists is.

After a bit of deliberation I picked Rob Lowe. At first Lowe came across to me as a Messiah copycat (that was when the first two Soltidue Aeturnus albums were released at the time) but he has developed into a style of his own which is less cheesy power (as someone has said) with more emotions and a much larger range than Messiah. Rob Lowe nowadays is the singer Messiah would want to be. Rob is more versatile and less over the top operatic cheesy power with loads more doom emotions. RTob is currently the ultimate epic doom metal vocalist for me.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.02.2009 - 13:58
ArisIgnusDeuce

I had to vote for Rob Lowe... I find that Messiah is a great vocalist but sometimes he can be... TOO much.On the other side I think that Lowe not only has a voice with great range but is also capable of delivering a unique doom feeling.This (and the Solitude Aeturnus albums) define him as the best doom metal singer ever (at least for me).
06.02.2009 - 19:26
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Unable to decide, really. while i think were i in a doom band, i'd want Rob Lowe on vocals for many of th reasons mentioned above, particularly his dark voice is fitting to the music, i honestly think "Nightfall" would have been severely diminished with another vocalist. i realize that we are not supposed to have their works with Candlemass factor in to our decision, but exactly how could you avoid it?

i'd give the nod to Rob Lowe... only slightly.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
07.02.2009 - 06:16
Richard

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.11.2008 at 01:48

After a bit of deliberation I picked Rob Lowe. At first Lowe came across to me as a Messiah copycat (that was when the first two Soltidue Aeturnus albums were released at the time) but he has developed into a style of his own which is less cheesy power (as someone has said) with more emotions and a much larger range than Messiah. Rob Lowe nowadays is the singer Messiah would want to be. Rob is more versatile and less over the top operatic cheesy power with loads more doom emotions. RTob is currently the ultimate epic doom metal vocalist for me.

I agree completely with that. Rob Lowe got my vote too. Many bands are at their best on the early albums, but Solitude Aeturnus have improved and matured (IMO) during the course of Rob's vocals finding more range after those first 2 albums, when he stopped doing the higher-pitched thing so much.

The song 'Never', from the appropriately named album 'Adagio', is a perfect example. Quite short for such a slow doomy song, but his vocals particularly shine here - there's an almost religious feel, like a one-man-doom-choir.

I like Messiah's vocals, and Candlemass - Nightfall is a great album, but like you say, his approach is a bit over-dramatic and warbly in comparison.
----
07.02.2009 - 14:22
Lucas
Mr. Noise
I can't help but feeling that Lowe is taking Candlemass to a more Power metal direction. Yeah, it's still Doom of course, but the songs are shorter, faster and well, more US Power metal style, imo. At least much more than on the older albums. But that's probably due tot he entire band evolving and not because of Lowe's presence.

But besides that, Messiah's just better in my opinion.

"only the vultures will come to see me haaaaaaang"
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
07.02.2009 - 15:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Lucas on 07.02.2009 at 14:22

But that's probably due tot he entire band evolving and not because of Lowe's presence.

Yes it is not due to Rob Lowe, cause Solitude Aeturnus becomes doomier with eveyr newer release.
As for the short power metallish stuff by Candlemass, that's acrually only Lucifer Rising cause the other song was as doomy as ever.

EDIT: And with Messiag they already had their power metallish songs as well (Black Dwarf f.e.)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.02.2009 - 05:40
munson

For me this is not even a competition. Messiah by FAR.
26.03.2009 - 22:56
The Thrasher
Account deleted
I think Robert Lowe is more talented
01.05.2009 - 04:35
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
As much as Messiah is classic with Candlemass, I gotta say that Robert Lowe not only fits the bill but his voice is haunting in that way that an Opera isn't. In all honesty Candlemass really lucked out in all of it and totally got a lead singer that fits everything they do.
----
08.05.2009 - 19:05
ponderer

I'll have to weigh in on this one.

As much as Messiah was "thee voice" of Candlemass, Robert Lowe brings a whole new level to the band with a superior vocal range and Phoenix is right, his voice has this unique haunting quality which totally fits the Candlemass profile. I think Rob is going to take this band even further, and it's my pleasure to have seen him live in 1995 in Minneapolis opening for Mercyful Fate. Rock on Rob and Candlemass!

FRONT ROW!

09.05.2009 - 17:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by ponderer on 08.05.2009 at 19:05

I'll have to weigh in on this one.

As much as Messiah was "thee voice" of Candlemass, Robert Lowe brings a whole new level to the band with a superior vocal range and Phoenix is right, his voice has this unique haunting quality which totally fits the Candlemass profile. I think Rob is going to take this band even further, and it's my pleasure to have seen him live in 1995 in Minneapolis opening for Mercyful Fate. Rock on Rob and Candlemass!

FRONT ROW!

Who are Mercicul Fate? Gotta love typos like that...
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.07.2009 - 19:00
Ankläger

Lowe has grit and can do soft parts (ex. Hammer of Doom)
11.07.2016 - 04:07
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Lowe by far.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
12.07.2016 - 05:52
Guib
Thrash Talker
Messiah for me, I just prefer his vocals, really nothing too complicated.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
12.07.2016 - 22:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Messiah for me too. Early Lowe I found ever so slightly weak; not enough power behind his voice, but later on his grittier, dirtier voice sounded a tad forced to me, so he never quite found the right balance. Was never a fan of the Candlemass albums he was on either so that doesn't help.
15.07.2016 - 23:53
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Guest on 12.07.2016 at 22:18

Messiah for me too. Early Lowe I found ever so slightly weak; not enough power behind his voice, but later on his grittier, dirtier voice sounded a tad forced to me, so he never quite found the right balance. Was never a fan of the Candlemass albums he was on either so that doesn't help.

That.. Exactly That.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here