Metal Storm logo
Best guitar team in metal

Original post

Posted by Angelic Storm, 03.11.2009 - 19:12
I've always been a huge fan of twin lead guitars in metal, and I love a good trade off between two very different styles of solos! My fave guitar tag team is Glenn Tipton and K.K. Downing of Judas Priest, but I love many more. From more modern bands, I really love the duo of Per Nilsson and Jonas Kjellgren from Scar Symmetry. Those guys have some serious chops!

So, who is your fave guitar team in metal?

Poll

Who is your favorite guitar team?

Murray/Smith/Gers (Iron Maiden)
Other (Please specify)
Tipton/Downing (Judas Priest)
Mustaine/Friedman, etc...(Megadeth)
Hanemann/King (Slayer)
Schuldiner/Murphy, Rozz, etc...(Death)
Weikath/Hansen, Grapow, etc..(Helloween)
Shermann/Denner (King Diamond)
Holt/Hunolt (Exodus)

Total votes: 131
07.04.2011 - 20:01
Yasmine
Written by Angelic Storm on 07.04.2011 at 11:38

Primal Fear are awesome, and there's a lot of great solos in their stuff. Henny's interplay with Stefan on the "Armageddon" solo is a memorable example. The problem with Primal Fear, is they've struggled throughout their career to keep a stable guitar partnership, as it changes so often, its almost like Spinal Tap was with drummers. Aside from the first album, which had Tom Naumann doing all the guitars himself (though Kai Hansen played 2 solos on that album), their career has been like a revolving door for guitarists. lol First it was Tom with Stefan Leibing, then Leibing/Henny Wolter, then back to Naumann/Leibing, then back to Wolter/Leibing again, then Henny with Magnus Karlsson, and finally, Magnus with Alexander Beyrodt, which is the current PF guitar partnership. There is some amazing guitar work in Primal Fear, but Ive always wished they could hold onto a stable guitar partnership for more than 5 minutes. lol

Very true, but they've made it work so well despite that fact. I love the double guitars in "Under your Spell","Save a Prayer", "Back from Hell", "Iron Fist in a Velvet Glove", and "Nuclear Fire".
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
08.04.2011 - 04:30
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Is it just me or did Primal Fear rip off Priest big time with the cover of their best of "Metal is Forever"? Not to mention that their singer reminds me of Halford. Great band though. One of my better finds this year for sure.
08.04.2011 - 04:58
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I've always thought that PF ripped off "The Hellion" from the "Screaming For Vengeance" cover, for their metal eagle mascot.

Ralf Scheepers is hugely influenced by Rob Halford, and is an amazing singer. You should check out the cover he did of "Exciter" while with his old band Gamma Ray. It really is awesome, and he could easily have sung for Priest, cos he really does their stuff justice.

As for Primal Fear solos, I have so many faves, it would be too time consuming to list them all here! lol
08.04.2011 - 06:27
Yasmine
Written by Angelic Storm on 08.04.2011 at 04:58

I've always thought that PF ripped off "The Hellion" from the "Screaming For Vengeance" cover, for their metal eagle mascot.

Ralf Scheepers is hugely influenced by Rob Halford, and is an amazing singer. You should check out the cover he did of "Exciter" while with his old band Gamma Ray. It really is awesome, and he could easily have sung for Priest, cos he really does their stuff justice.

As for Primal Fear solos, I have so many faves, it would be too time consuming to list them all here! lol

Very time consuming!
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
08.04.2011 - 06:34
Kevorkian
Rafael Bittencourt and Kiko Loureiro from Angra, as well as Jesper Strömblad and Glenn Ljungström from In Flames (early days).
19.02.2012 - 14:36
Mille Petrozza and random second guitarist
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
13.01.2013 - 04:39
LordHypnos
Account deleted
Trey Azagthoth and Richard Brunelle from Morbid Angel (early days). And, like the other guy said, Glenn Ljungström and Jesper Strömblad from In Flames (early days, too).
11.02.2013 - 17:37
moe5512
Alexi Laiho and Roope Latvala from Bodom ofc
19.02.2013 - 11:24
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
The Kokko brothers from Kalmah, really nice playing
19.02.2013 - 12:44
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Up the Irons!
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

19.02.2013 - 20:03
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
My vote went to the Maiden boys. As it usually does.
20.02.2013 - 06:23
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Shouldn't it say Mercyful Fate instead of King Diamond? Hank Shermann was never in King Diamond. Or replace Shermann with Andy LaRoque.
Written by moe5512 on 11.02.2013 at 17:37

Right players, wrong band (but then I'm a biased Sinergy fan). Probably have to go with the (old) Priest duo. Don't know who I'd pick from current combos.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
20.02.2013 - 16:23
moe5512
Written by M C Vice on 20.02.2013 at 06:23

Written by moe5512 on 11.02.2013 at 17:37

Right players, wrong band (but then I'm a biased Sinergy fan). Probably have to go with the (old) Priest duo. Don't know who I'd pick from current combos.

correction: Alexi Laiho and Alexander Kuoppala (Older bodom)
21.02.2013 - 21:53
FOOCK Nam
Duel guitar of Bodom was very good so far, they are very well with lead guitar riff.
10.03.2013 - 12:12
Hellvomit
I vote for Tipton/ Downing. Have written memorable riffs, entered into human history, influenced a lot of bands from the most disparate genres
----
[http://unblessed-distro.blogspot.it/]
23.03.2013 - 02:07
Angelic Storm
Melodious

Shouldn't it say Mercyful Fate instead of King Diamond? Hank Shermann was never in King Diamond. Or replace Shermann with Andy LaRoque.

Yes, it should say Mercyful Fate... obviously you haven't read the first few posts in this thread. I realised very quickly that I had made that mistake, but unfortunately you can't edit poll choices, so the mistake had to stay.

As for the COB guitarists, they aren't really a lead guitar team... Back when Alexander Kuoppala was in the band, Alexi played all the solos, and although Roope Latvala does play a mean lead guitar, Alexi doesn't let him play many solos.
23.03.2013 - 02:59
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Angelic Storm on 23.03.2013 at 02:07

Yes, it should say Mercyful Fate... obviously you haven't read the first few posts in this thread.

Yeah, I posted that before I read the 1st page.

Written by Angelic Storm on 23.03.2013 at 02:07

As for the COB guitarists, they aren't really a lead guitar team... Back when Alexander Kuoppala was in the band, Alexi played all the solos, and although Roope Latvala does play a mean lead guitar, Alexi doesn't let him play many solos.

And that's why I listen to Sinergy.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
23.03.2013 - 11:16
renai
I like most of the listed above.
Weikath/Hansen / Grapow perhaps my best choice, considering how monumental all their works and how effectively their harmony solos back then.

Tipton / ZZ

Mustaine / Friedman is actually a weird combo based on their guitar styles, although the outputs are weirdly, good as hell.

Friedman best partner was Jason Becker!

Smith / Murray / Gers is emotionally great. But their trio played a material that 'lighter' that I personally believe, can handle by many guitarist. Their ideas in simple harmony melody, especially in earlier years was what matter.

as I remember:

many duo guitaris in Whitesnake, which is simply forgotten in this thread.
Campbell / Vanderberg , Vai / Vanderbeg, and current Beach/Aldrich

Skolnick / Eric Peterson - Testament

Dan Spitz / Scott Ian - Anthrax
the Scorpions
Def Leppards
the duo in Ugly Kid Joe, if only they make it more albums.

and I second Herman Li - Sam
----
hey...my blog >>> http://metalharem.blogspot.com/
05.11.2022 - 21:59
Joppe
Steelemeister
Rock n Rolf Kasparek and Axel Morgan. The band didn't produce their best recordings during this era, but they were totally destroying on guitars -- even Axel as single axeman in X-Wild was doing a killer job.
----
My vision is augmented
05.11.2022 - 22:16
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
In terms of best I think it's hard to beat the Iron tripple of Murray, Smith and Gers, but Hetfield and Hammett were especially good too on RTL, MOP and JFA.