01. Events In Concealment
02. The Deathwish
03. Triocton
04. N.L.Y.H.
05. Watching The World
06. Narcotic
07. Machinery
08. Bureaucrazy [bonus]

While certainly not unsung in the minds of people in the know, Deathrow sort of seemed to get buried in the German thrash pantheon under more popular bands like Kreator, Destruction, and Sodom; and even if they are recognized, it is usually for their more simplistic and primal works like Satan's Gift and Raging Steel. Their third release, however, is their best, a technical masterpiece of violent thrash precision.

Deception Ignored is housed behind an obscured, ambiguously cold cover, which is certainly indicative of the music and lyrical themes within. The band alternates between bludgeoning riffs and breakneck spouts of sublime complexity, rhythmically busy but not bewilderingly so. Lead vocalist Milo frantically barks his conspiring poetry on top of it all, with an edge of attempted singing in there to give the songs a melodic lift.

All too often, "math" metal utilizes blurring technical mastery whilst sacrificing memorable songwriting. Deathrow doesn't. Deception Ignored may not be immediately catchy, but it reveals itself over repeated listens. Even the longest, most complicated tracks like the instrumental "Triocton" and the downright insane "Narcotic" begin to stick (both are 8-9 minutes long); and really, if you're a thrash fan who can't enjoy concise killers like "Events in Concealment" and "The Deathwish," you may want to rethink your preference in music.

Truly unrivaled in terms of technical prowess for the day excepting maybe labelmates Coroner and Watchtower (damn, Noise Records was awesome), Deathrow was just another group to fall into obscurity and disband in the musical abyss of the nineties. As a result, Deception Ignored has never risen above cult status and is worth a small fortune on compact disc. A travesty. Nonetheless, it's an essential investment for fans of the genre; an anomaly, and one of my favorite thrash albums ever.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written by strade | 12.03.2012

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 68 users
13.03.2012 - 00:19
Milena
gloom cookie
I can't comment on the band since I don't really listen to thrash, but the writing is of equal quality as in your previous review. I'm loving this new surge of guest reviewers, please keep it up, folks!
----
7.0 means the album is good
13.03.2012 - 00:33
Rating: 9
strade

Written by Milena on 13.03.2012 at 00:19

I can't comment on the band since I don't really listen to thrash, but the writing is of equal quality as in your previous review. I'm loving this new surge of guest reviewers, please keep it up, folks!

Thanks, Mora; I hope by 'equal quality' you mean you think it's good. I'm gonna try to keep it short from now on, haha. Maybe work my way up to "official contributor" in a couple years.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
13.03.2012 - 00:43
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by strade on 13.03.2012 at 00:33

Thanks, Mora; I hope by 'equal quality' you mean you think it's good. I'm gonna try to keep it short from now on, haha. Maybe work my way up to "official contributor" in a couple years.

It IS good, people said you were just elaborating the rating instead of describing the music, but you said that was your intent, and it worked perfectly well, if you have an "unpopular" opinion that sheds a different light on the album, I'm more interested to find out where does that opinion come from, instead of reading the description for an album that has been described a thousand times. As for being short, some will be short, some will be long... if you have a lot to say, don't feel like shortening it because the ADD majority can't take more than 350 words this one is both short and descriptive, so, by MS standards, it is good

As for becoming an official contributor in a few years, I made a similar statement in a conversation with Troy 20 days before they made me one, and that was quite a bit of a shock, since I had little to no contact with staff folks before
----
13.03.2012 - 01:11
strade

Written by Milena on 13.03.2012 at 00:43

Written by strade on 13.03.2012 at 00:33

It IS good, people said you were just elaborating the rating instead of describing the music, but you said that was your intent, and it worked perfectly well, if you have an "unpopular" opinion that sheds a different light on the album, I'm more interested to find out where does that opinion come from, instead of reading the description for an album that has been described a thousand times. As for being short, some will be short, some will be long... if you have a lot to say, don't feel like shortening it because the ADD majority can't take more than 350 words this one is both short and descriptive, so, by MS standards, it is good

As for becoming an official contributor in a few years, I made a similar statement in a conversation with Troy 20 days before they made me one, and that was quite a bit of a shock, since I had little to no contact with staff folks before

Yes, you understood it. I'm about to write one for The Obsidian Conspiracy, and this time, my opinion will be very unpopular. I'm trying not to be a contrarian asshole and lower my credibility to an absolute zero, but sometimes I just can't help myself. I have a particular contempt for that release that needs to be expressed, anyway. Be on the lookout.

Oh, and that's encouraging about the staff thing, though I doubt it'll be that speedy for me.
----
13.03.2012 - 01:14
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by strade on 13.03.2012 at 01:11

I have a particular contempt for that release that needs to be expressed, anyway. Be on the lookout.

Oh, and that's encouraging about the staff thing, though I doubt it'll be that speedy for me.

I know how that feels I don't listen to Nevermore anyway, but either way I wouldn't take it personally... let's see the other reactions mwahahaha.

Well, at that point I had around 30 reviews under my sleeve, guess they figured that I would keep spamming them anyway, might as well throw me into the frontpage and watch me swim
----
14.03.2012 - 00:40
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I was intrigued by this album after reading autothrall's review of it. I have given it a few listens, but it is still very very murky in my head. You mentioning repeated listens gives me one more reason to go back and see why you two gave it a 10 and a 9.3.
Good review, great adjectives, smart sentences.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
14.03.2012 - 00:47
strade

Written by K✞ulu on 14.03.2012 at 00:40

I was intrigued by this album after reading autothrall's review of it. I have given it a few listens, but it is still very very murky in my head. You mentioning repeated listens gives me one more reason to go back and see why you two gave it a 10 and a 9.3.
Good review, great adjectives, smart sentences.

Thanks for enjoying!

Yep, I listened to it only because of autothrall's review also. Now, about a year and a half later, I'm absolutely addicted and have 50+ listens under my belt. I even paid a fortune to procure a genuine copy, which is now my prized possession. That is, until I find an original press of Rigor Mortis...
----
14.03.2012 - 00:50
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by strade on 14.03.2012 at 00:47

Thanks for enjoying!

Yep, I listened to it only because of autothrall's review also. Now, about a year and a half later, I'm absolutely addicted and have 50+ listens under my belt. I even paid a fortune to procure a genuine copy, which is now my prized possession. That is, until I find an original press of Rigor Mortis...

Rigor Mortis is also covered in fog for me at the moment, but I listened to it only once. All I remember is brutal shredding followed by brutal shredding.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
14.03.2012 - 01:00
strade

Written by K✞ulu on 14.03.2012 at 00:50

Written by strade on 14.03.2012 at 00:47

Thanks for enjoying!

Rigor Mortis is also covered in fog for me at the moment, but I listened to it only once. All I remember is brutal shredding followed by brutal shredding.

Now that's strange; I consider that one of the catchiest and most immediately rewarding albums of all time. Sure, I love the brutal shredding, but that one's filled to the brim with unforgettable choruses and lyrics, too. Definitely give it more time, though.

Expect a review for that one eventually.
----

Hits total: 4484 | This month: 12