Metal Storm logo
Supertramp

02.11.2006 - 02:15
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I'm pretty sure that they are neo-prog; probably one of the creators of the genre and only because they had to. Crime Of The Century is when they started to add more pop elements because Rick Davies lost support from his millionare friend because of their first two releases. Anyway, they are an amazing band and certainly deserve a thread here in the rock forum because of songs like Dreamer, Rudy, Bloody Well Right, The Logical Song, School, etc...
02.11.2006 - 20:07
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Don't know much of this band, I remember a song called "Breakfast in America" I think, I'm not sure of the name, and one of the most known songs of the band: "The Logical song"
Just listening these 2 songs is enough to get into the band, I really like it
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
02.11.2006 - 20:11
Warman
Erotic Stains
Whoa! I didn't know that this band fits in the rock forum! Well, you learn something new every day
----
03.11.2006 - 14:32
danzig111
Account deleted
I'm so sorry but I think they're seriously one of the worst bands I've ever heard

The singing is terrible and the music is......well, nothing special.

^^That would be my opinion.
04.11.2006 - 00:16
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Hahaha...that's ok danzig...I had problems with this band too when I first heard them but I finally realized how great they really are and finally understood what they were trying to do...you should probably try to listen to their first two albums...a lot of people think they they died after they decided that they had to add pop sensibilities into their musical styling...I didn't think they needed to actually...they should've just been able to find an obscure label that would take them and continue making long-winded progressive music like Davies originally intended...

They just make really good pop progressive rock...they opened a lot of doors musically to the possibilities of what progressive rock could accomplish in the popular world of music as well as commercially...you have to take that into account at some point...
04.11.2006 - 00:58
marillionfan
Account deleted
Supertramp is not a neo-progressive band - they had their glory days in the 70s (neo-prog is a prog subgenre in the 80s - still exists nowadays). They may not appeal for the metalheads much but they're sheer bliss for progheads. Crime of the Century is one of their best albums and was released in 1974. The Brekfast in America was released in 1979 and is another great album.
07.11.2006 - 06:46
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@marillionfan: Hate to burst your bubble but they are indeed...they were one of the first bands to employ pop elements to prog rock back in 1974...the last time I checked, the term 'neo-prog' means progressive rock with acessible pop elements in it...Supertramp embodies that notion completely...(you know what they say about the fans of some bands...*cough cough Marillion cough cough*
07.11.2006 - 23:59
marillionfan
Account deleted
What's with your reaction to my post?I suppoose you can't stand being contradicted - even when you are not even contradicted. Interesting.
Next time you come with theories like this, please do your homework. Neo prog inthe 70s? IMPOSSIBLE! Is neo-prog a more accessible kind of prog-rock, pop influenced sometimes? Yes, but starting with early 80s.
Supertramp can be classified as ART-ROCK. There are a lot of influences in their music such as rock, blues jazz and classical music.
I hope you won't get upset again. Honestly.
08.11.2006 - 03:45
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I've heard so many people refer to Supertramp as neo-prog so it's not really me talking...and they're poppy..so...whatever...call them what you want...

What do you call them...you didn't even mention...simply progressive rock? or...pop rock? I dunno...they started out as just prog rock then added pop elements...
08.11.2006 - 13:36
marillionfan
Account deleted
Prog-rock is enough for me. I don't care about classifications that much really; the definition people give to art-rock is ambiguous: for some it is synonym to prog-rock, for others it is the borderline between prog-rock and mainstream. Confusing. Others state as art-rock any original sounding band whose music is hard to classify, even more confusing. I was shocked and surprised to see Radiohead classified as art rock. same with The Mars Volta (this band doesn't work for me I'm afraid).
i totally agree to your description of Supertramp" music; prog rock with some pop elements. Nevertheless, their music is complex and also entertaining!
08.11.2006 - 21:27
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Would you say that Supertramp is original? In my opinion they are but I would never classify them as art rock...maybe they are, who knows...I know you don't really care about classifications but people on MS (like me a lot of times) are very retentive about naming bands correctly...yeah, I've heard people mention Radiohead as being art rock too...I would agree with them to a point...they are pretty arty...I have never listened to The Mars Volta so I can't say anything there...
10.04.2007 - 07:14
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Some months ago, I said that I like this band and that I don't know much about them.
Now I love the band!! I got their album: "The Very Best of Supertramp" and got to know much better their music, my favorite songs are: "The logical song", "Breakfast in America", "Goodbye Stranger", "Take the long way home" and "Dreamer"

As for their style, well, imo, they sound much more american than british. And I have no idea of their genre, they're for sure rock, but of course they have more influences
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
10.04.2007 - 14:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Awsome band I had not viny not tape that big think hwo ppl use in 80ties dunno hwo calls

I like it, its great prog band, songs arecartistical, also good quality music, one of firts bands what i lsitening, actualy in age 5 i use to like them
long time, i hawnt listening them, but ewery time when i do it I wanna live in 70ties
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.08.2007 - 15:54
vusza
I got so angry when I heard that r'n'b song - they stole Supertramps' "Breakfast In America" in 80%, and wrote new lyrics for the remaining percents. Eww... how 'original' can some people get?! It was like P.Diddy covering Kashmir from Led Zeppelin or smth.
----
No guts, no glory.
22.08.2007 - 00:22
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
An RnB act stole from Supertramp? Wow...that's pretty low...I hate it when rap, RnB, etc... artists do that...it just goes to show they have no composition skills and rely on talking alone...yeah, their Best Of... album really covers a lot of ground...
23.08.2007 - 13:37
vusza
You can see the similarities if you watch both.
Supertramp - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHbPD_bXaOA
R'n'B version - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq9o_Rfzy7o
----
No guts, no glory.
27.08.2007 - 04:25
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
The rip-off song actually did come on the radio while I was at work...I cannot believe the things that these artists can get away with...