Metal Storm logo
New Band Edit Feature: Mandatory Comments on all edits

17.04.2013 - 20:02
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Some of you have noticed by now that you are now required to leave a Comment when editing, this affects everybody when editing anything at all now. The reason for this is that the Comments field exists so that the edit logs properly and accurately reflect when something was edited, who made the edit, and what exactly was edited. However since most people don't leave comments when editing, the point of the edit logs history is pretty much useless as we could see who made edits and when but could not see what they actually edited, well now we will know what you actually edited.

And please do not just type in random bullshit to circumvent the new change , comment about what you changed and, if necessary, why you are making the change. You are not being required/expected to leave sources, however if you want to include a source in the comments that would be greatly appreciated but it's not required, only leaving a comment about what you edited is required.

Not leaving proper comments about what you edited may result in your editing perms being temporarily revoked.

Thanks for reading and do continue to have fun editing and helping us keep this site as accurate and amazing as ever!
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

17.04.2013 - 22:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by psykometal on 17.04.2013 at 20:02

Not leaving proper comments about what you edited may result in your editing perms being temporarily revoked.

it is nopt possibe it says error, please leave a comment
No eddits possible

Today I try change year when Darkwell singer left and old one cames back
I cold not take old away, then I leave commenta nd it worked (since I didnt know new rules IMO I just typed ''she left'' something and gave FB link
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.04.2013 - 22:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Does staff also must leave a comment?
----

apos;'
[image]
17.04.2013 - 22:27
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Bad English on 17.04.2013 at 22:05

Written by psykometal on 17.04.2013 at 20:02

it is nopt possibe it says error, please leave a comment
No eddits possible

Today I try change year when Darkwell singer left and old one cames back
I cold not take old away, then I leave commenta nd it worked (since I didnt know new rules IMO I just typed ''she left'' something and gave FB link

You have to leave a comment before you click submit, that's why you got the error message.

Quote:
Does staff also must leave a comment?

"this affects everybody when editing anything at all now."
----

17.04.2013 - 22:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Quote:
"this affects everybody when editing anything at all now."

Now I know it
I didnt know before today
----

apos;'
[image]
18.04.2013 - 10:44
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Oh. I'm not staff, so I couldn't really know, but I figured that when you went to approve of a lyric edit, for example, that it would give you a screen that identified what exactly was being edited. Similar to how Wikipedia lets you see the revision history of any given article. I guess not. I figured it wasn't necessary to point out what was changed in the comments section due to this, though I occasionally did it anyway. Good thing to know.
----
18.04.2013 - 16:52
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Jaeryd on 18.04.2013 at 10:44

Oh. I'm not staff, so I couldn't really know, but I figured that when you went to approve of a lyric edit, for example, that it would give you a screen that identified what exactly was being edited. Similar to how Wikipedia lets you see the revision history of any given article. I guess not. I figured it wasn't necessary to point out what was changed in the comments section due to this, though I occasionally did it anyway. Good thing to know.

At the time of checking the changes are outlined but once they're accepted or rejected the change no long displays in the logs.
----

19.04.2013 - 12:36
Redn1ght
Captain Obvious
Oops... I have might edited one of my posts without adding Edit: [Text] thing there. Darn it, I should have noticed this thread. Anyways it was only a comma that I added, I think. So no problem there... Right?
19.04.2013 - 13:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Redn1ght on 19.04.2013 at 12:36

Oops... I have might edited one of my posts without adding Edit: [Text] thing there. Darn it, I should have noticed this thread. Anyways it was only a comma that I added, I think. So no problem there... Right?

This is not fort posts but band addits
----

apos;'
[image]
19.04.2013 - 15:22
Redn1ght
Captain Obvious
Written by Bad English on 19.04.2013 at 13:24

Written by Redn1ght on 19.04.2013 at 12:36

This is not fort posts but band addits

Ok. Cool. *goes to watch random youtube videos*
23.04.2013 - 11:54
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
My standard "Lineup credited on album" comment is still good, right?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
23.04.2013 - 16:53
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by M C Vice on 23.04.2013 at 11:54

My standard "Lineup credited on album" comment is still good, right?

Yea, that's fine, because it indicates that you added the line-up. If the line-up was already there and you were editing that line-up, like to replace one musician with another or to add or remove an additional musician then I would expect a more detailed comment. But if you're adding the line-up period, when none was there before, then even just "added lineup" works fine.
----

20.07.2013 - 09:02
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Hey guys, when you are commenting about your edits please be sure to leave a rather specific comment about what you edited, don't just type a generic "update info" comment. If you updated the image comment "updated image", if you update the label type "updated label", if you edit add to an album's tracklist paraphrase what you did, etc. so on and so forth.

The whole point of the mandatory comments is so that the edit history logs show a detailed account of what is being changed and who is changing it through the years.

Thanks and keep having fun editing!
----

14.04.2014 - 18:02
D.T. Metal
Staff
THIS from the OP
Quote:

and THIS
Quote:
The whole point of the mandatory comments is so that the edit history logs show a detailed account of what is being changed and who is changing it through the years.

Folk, please leave detailed comments when you edit. Stuff such as "fixed", "updated", "new info" really doesn't describe what you edited.

Thanks for keeping our database accurate
14.04.2014 - 18:31
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Quote:
Folk, please leave detailed comments when you edit. Stuff such as "fixed", "updated", "new info" really doesn't describe what you edited.

To help expand on this, what I type in Comments when I'm "fixing" or "updating" things is this:

Fixed joined year; 2009>2010. http://sourceurl.com/longtrailofsourceurlstuff

----