04. Without You
05. Kiss Of Fire
06. Charon
07. To Hell And Back
08. In My Darkest Hour
09. Run With The Devil
10. Swan Song
11. Legend

After 4 years of waiting since the release of Iconoclast, Symphony X return with Underworld, an album that may divide fans of the band depending on the expectations placed on this 9th studio effort. Here we have an album of safe yet solid progressive metal tracks with few risks taken in terms of song structure, and another step away from any neoclassical elements present on earlier albums.

Underworld is a heavy progressive album with an abundance of power metal elements thrown in. "Underworld" clearly demonstrates this and really deserved to be the album opener instead of the mid-tempo and somewhat uninspired "Nevermore". Russell Allen stands out on the former with a powerful soaring chorus mixed with more aggressive vocals towards the end of the track. Despite this mistake in the order of the tracks, Underworld does enough to keep the 65 minutes interesting. Ballads like "Without You" and "Swansong" are placed between heavy tracks and just when things might get a bit samey the band throw an epic like "To Hell And Back" in the mix.

Michael Romeo continues to impress as a quality guitarist with technical yet somehow tasteful guitar solos and the ability to hold back during choruses, allowing Russell Allen to shine instead. It's just a shame that several tracks are carried with uninteresting riffs that seem beneath him. I was pleasantly surprised with the heaviness of "Kiss Of Fire," a track utilising some brief blasts on the drums and a fantastic vocal performance. It is clear from the performance of Russell Allen that he has been influenced by his work in other projects like Adrenaline Mob and Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

Despite describing the album as safe, there are some stand out moments where Symphony X extend beyond concise 5 or 6 minute tracks. "To Hell And Back" has an amazing intro that carries as a theme throughout the entire track. It's a fantastic song and has every band member on top form. Fortunately, this 9 minute track isn't the only one that shows the prowess of each band member. I was very impressed with the keyboards which seemed to always be there in the background and would suddenly appear at the forefront with a solo to stop the guitar dominating each song.

What is clear from Underworld is that Symphony X is capable of writing fine-tuned progressive metal. The album flows pretty well and has enough hooks and emotional moments to stop it simply being a technical demonstration. It is a solid effort with "Run With The Devil" being the only track that could perhaps be described as filler and the lyrics sometimes being a bit inferior to the music. Songs are catchy, riffs are for the most part memorable and do not overstay their welcome. All of this is made possible through excellent production and songwriting from a band that knows how to produce real quality musically even when playing it safe. Underworld may become divisive, but it is a solid effort that deserves your attention.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 6
Production: 10

Written by Belegûr | 13.07.2015

Guest review by
Boris_Pembroke
Rating:
Fantastic production and instrumental prowess make up for some cheesy song titles & lyrics.

Read more ››
published 27.09.2015 | Comments (4)

Guest review by
qlacs
Rating:
N/A
In medias res - I guess I'm just missing some neoclassical bits and the monumental compositions that grab me and drag me along from start to finish.

Read more ››
published 21.02.2018 | Comments (1)

Comments

Comments: 38   Visited by: 575 users
13.07.2015 - 18:09
SoUnDs LiKe PoP
These guys are one of those bands that I really want to like and even TRY to like... and yet everything I hear from them just falls short in catching my interest.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
13.07.2015 - 18:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Might check this out when its will be streaming officially online as often new albums are
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.07.2015 - 18:59
Unhealer
Eclecticist
The score seems a bit higher than I thought it to be based on what you wrote, but the words are what's important anyway. I won't like this at all based on the two songs released so far, but I expect to find a few good tracks at least.
13.07.2015 - 19:32
Rating: 8
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Written by SoUnDs LiKe PoP on 13.07.2015 at 18:09

These guys are one of those bands that I really want to like and even TRY to like... and yet everything I hear from them just falls short in catching my interest.

I enjoyed the album and I'm not a fan of the band. I've only heard a few of their albums, but have always thought they were talented. Hope you check it out when it's released.

Written by Unhealer on 13.07.2015 at 18:59

The score seems a bit higher than I thought it to be based on what you wrote, but the words are what's important anyway. I won't like this at all based on the two songs released so far, but I expect to find a few good tracks at least.

Well I do kind of say it's "solid" and a well made album. The score is sort of my final thought on the album and an 8.9 is just below "Excellent". I think it's pretty fair. I say one track seems to be filler and that the other tracks have great performances as well as production. I think the average of my ratings at the bottom is around 8.8. Like you say, the review itself is whats important. I am hoping people will read it and try not to focus on the score I have given
13.07.2015 - 19:51
Doge of Venice
Yeah, I'm a little confused by your description of 'safe yet solid', yet giving it a score of 8.9, which clearly implies it's a very strong effort. Not dissing your review, but that just feels like a contradiction. Maybe clear up your terms or make the score feel related to what you wrote.
13.07.2015 - 20:05
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Written by Doge of Venice on 13.07.2015 at 19:51

Yeah, I'm a little confused by your description of 'safe yet solid', yet giving it a score of 8.9, which clearly implies it's a very strong effort. Not dissing your review, but that just feels like a contradiction. Maybe clear up your terms or make the score feel related to what you wrote.

8.9 is within the "very good" category. The album isn't excellent and it's not the most original, but it was enjoyable. I don't really need to clear up my terms or change the score. I'm quite happy with what I wrote .
13.07.2015 - 20:20
Doge of Venice
Written by Belegûr on 13.07.2015 at 20:05

8.9 is within the "very good" category. The album isn't excellent and it's not the most original, but it was enjoyable. I don't really need to clear up my terms or change the score. I'm quite happy with what I wrote .

That's fair enough. I just don't really equate 'safe and solid' with 'very good', but to each his own.
13.07.2015 - 20:25
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Written by Doge of Venice on 13.07.2015 at 20:20

Written by Belegûr on 13.07.2015 at 20:05

That's fair enough. I just don't really equate 'safe and solid' with 'very good', but to each his own.

Well from what I read on the website, the final score is for the reviewers overall impression of the album.

Solid - reliable, constant throughout, not hollow
Safe - They haven't taken risks, but it doesn't stop it being of high quality

I didn't think people would think calling something "safe yet solid" would be a bad thing . Originally I had it between 8.5 and 8.9, a couple of things stop it being excellent to me so I went with 8.9. Again though, I hope people read it and don't focus on a number.
13.07.2015 - 20:33
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Can this be compared to any of their previous albums? I know you said there is a diminished neoclassical element, but not quite sure how diminished...
13.07.2015 - 20:36
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Written by LeKiwi on 13.07.2015 at 20:33

Can this be compared to any of their previous albums? I know you said there is a diminished neoclassical element, but not quite sure how diminished...

A further departure from Iconoclast. It's virtually non existent except for some Romero guitar solos.
13.07.2015 - 20:57
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Belegûr on 13.07.2015 at 20:36

A further departure from Iconoclast. It's virtually non existent except for some Romero guitar solos.

Their albums were getting consistently heavier and more groove oriented over time, but from what I read in your review it seems they have incorporated some softer, dare I say cheesier, elements. As someone who's enjoyed all their albums barring the first two, do you think this is for me?
13.07.2015 - 21:00
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Written by LeKiwi on 13.07.2015 at 20:57

Written by Belegûr on 13.07.2015 at 20:36

Their albums were getting consistently heavier and more groove oriented over time, but from what I read in your review it seems they have incorporated some softer, dare I say cheesier, elements. As someone who's enjoyed all their albums barring the first two, do you think this is for me?

You have summed it up pretty well actually. Definitely heavier and groove oriented. I also say that they have incorporated quite a few power metal elements, especially in choruses. Some of it is pretty cheesy haha. If you have enjoyed all their albums except the first two, then I think this will be an album you will really enjoy.
13.07.2015 - 21:14
Rating: 9
mariano
Review sounds like this album is promising. However, I would have expected some minimum comparison with Iconoclast (or other prior albums) -just to have a rough idea of how their music has evolved with this release.

I have the feeling that this album would be in general similar to Iconoclast -which is good enough to me.
13.07.2015 - 21:22
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Written by mariano on 13.07.2015 at 21:14

Review sounds like this album is promising. However, I would have expected some minimum comparison with Iconoclast (or other prior albums) -just to have a rough idea of how their music has evolved with this release.

I have the feeling that this album would be in general similar to Iconoclast -which is good enough to me.

I do say they have stepped even further away from any neoclassical elements, a step that was taken on Iconoclast too. Though this album is definitely closer in style to that album than any of their others.
14.07.2015 - 01:37
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Belegûr on 13.07.2015 at 21:00

You have summed it up pretty well actually. Definitely heavier and groove oriented. I also say that they have incorporated quite a few power metal elements, especially in choruses. Some of it is pretty cheesy haha. If you have enjoyed all their albums except the first two, then I think this will be an album you will really enjoy.

Heavier and more groove oriented. That's exactly what I wanted to hear I don't mind a bit of cheese, so long as it's tasteful.
14.07.2015 - 02:13
phanto
This band has declined for every release since V, which was when they peaked.

they used to bring a great malmsteen-esque baroque and neoclassical-influenced prog metal. dynamic albums with long songs that could be both heavy, fast, and mellow and beautiful -- all in one track.

now they're just another heavy metal band with heavy-heavy-heavy-ballad-heavy-ballad-heavy album structures.

albeit they're still amazing musicians, the songwriting has certainly taken a plummet.
14.07.2015 - 14:48
Great review but i have a question
does they still have this dark castlevania...horror like mood they use to do in their older albums?
i am a fan of their older stuff like divine wings and twilight in olympus and i hated iconoclast and paradise lost
i couldnt even bare listening to them
will i be liking underworld or not in your opinion?
14.07.2015 - 15:05
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Written by marvrldrive80 on 14.07.2015 at 14:48

Great review but i have a question
does they still have this dark castlevania...horror like mood they use to do in their older albums?
i am a fan of their older stuff like divine wings and twilight in olympus and i hated iconoclast and paradise lost
i couldnt even bare listening to them
will i be liking underworld or not in your opinion?

Hey! Glad you liked the review.

I know the sound you are talking about. The intro to the album "Overture" really reminded me of that style, but it definitely isn't present through the rest of the album. I can safely say if you disliked Paradise Lost and especially Iconoclast then you will not enjoy this album either. It is definitely closer to those albums than the older material.
14.07.2015 - 15:53
My god !!
i was counting the days waiting for this album and hoping it will be another divine wings style
they were pioneers in creating this mood i told you about
guess i gotta accept the fact the band changed and moved on from the older style
thanks a lot man,and keep on the good reviews coming:)
14.07.2015 - 19:34
BlankFile
The lack of neo-classical elements, as it is described on this review, it´s really a shame... but still i expect a lot from this álbum.
14.07.2015 - 20:44
mariano
Written by phanto on 14.07.2015 at 02:13

This band has declined for every release since V, which was when they peaked.

they used to bring a great malmsteen-esque baroque and neoclassical-influenced prog metal. dynamic albums with long songs that could be both heavy, fast, and mellow and beautiful -- all in one track.

now they're just another heavy metal band with heavy-heavy-heavy-ballad-heavy-ballad-heavy album structures.

albeit they're still amazing musicians, the songwriting has certainly taken a plummet.

I think V is a great album too, but I don't see in it much of a neoclassical influence nor malmsteen-esque style whatsoever.
15.07.2015 - 01:56
Doge of Venice
Written by Belegûr on 13.07.2015 at 20:25

Well from what I read on the website, the final score is for the reviewers overall impression of the album.

Solid - reliable, constant throughout, not hollow
Safe - They haven't taken risks, but it doesn't stop it being of high quality

I didn't think people would think calling something "safe yet solid" would be a bad thing . Originally I had it between 8.5 and 8.9, a couple of things stop it being excellent to me so I went with 8.9. Again though, I hope people read it and don't focus on a number.

I guess from an objective stand point, your score isn't really that far from what you said. So apologies!

I like adventurous releases, so while I don't consider "safe yet solid" a bad thing, I just don't consider it anything out of the ordinary. But thanks for your clarification.
16.07.2015 - 18:39
Wes
8.9 for an album that continues along the path of Iconoclast, no risks taken?
Looks like another 5/10 from the looks and sounds of it. I may be surprised though, but not by much.
Still glad to have Odyssey and earlier.
16.07.2015 - 18:52
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Written by Wes on 16.07.2015 at 18:39

Looks like another 5/10 from the looks and sounds of it. I may be surprised though, but not by much.

Opinions are great aren't they?
19.07.2015 - 20:39
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Written by Belegûr on 16.07.2015 at 18:52

Written by Wes on 16.07.2015 at 18:39

Opinions are great aren't they?

Two remarks - it's really great that you could enjoy the album fresh and without prejudice and expectations, unlike most fans of SX do. Even though I liked Divine Wings of Tragedy and The Odyssey, I enjoyed the recent releases as well and it's nice to see someone who could put a similar view into words.
On the other hand, I believe many people believe that 9s and 10s can only be given to extraordinary things on this site, which is pure bulls**t. If one really enjoys a release, why would that not count above average? There's a fine line between objective and subjective ratings.

Anyway, thanks again dude for the review, keep them coming.
----
19.07.2015 - 21:06
Zap
Written by qlacs on 19.07.2015 at 20:39

On the other hand, I believe many people believe that 9s and 10s can only be given to extraordinary things on this site, which is pure bulls**t. If one really enjoys a release, why would that not count above average? There's a fine line between objective and subjective ratings.

Above average is more like a 7 to me. In any case, I usually ignore whatever rating reviewers on this site put next to their reviews since everyone interprets a scale of 1 to 10 differently. The text is more important to me.
19.07.2015 - 21:17
Lord_Regnier
Written by Zap on 19.07.2015 at 21:06
In any case, I usually ignore whatever rating reviewers on this site put next to their reviews since everyone interprets a scale of 1 to 10 differently. The text is more important to me.

Exactly, I never cared (and will never care) for the rating. What matters is what the reviewer has to say. We have excellent reviewers (both male and female) on this site who can describe the overall sound of an album well enough that I can get a good idea as if it has a chance to fit my tastes. That's all I need.

As far as I'm concerned, I would ban ratings if I could, so people would actually discuss the music, instead of squabbling over ratings.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
23.07.2015 - 01:41
Rating: 10
Finally leaked... listening it right now
23.07.2015 - 02:34
Rating: 10
After the first lintening session... My impression is... they did it again!
Awesome album, definitely a must buy!!!
24.07.2015 - 19:23
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
For someone who have been listening to Symphony X since The Damnation Game i most say that this album is a let down. Let me just clear out first that i'm not one of those fans who think that "the first albums are the best". I think "The Odyssey" is easily their best effort, followed by "Paradise Lost" and "V". The last record was a mix of "The Odyssey" and "Paradise Lost" with the addition of extra heaviness.
What i always liked about Symphony X was that in the middle of all the progressive heavy music, and brilliant individual performances, they always managed to put out incredible catchy songs. Songs that i still today listen and think "how the hell did they pulled this out!".
What i miss most in "Underworld" are these memorable songs. Yes the performances are great, the music sounds good and all... but there isn't a single song i'd put in a Symphony X best of.
"Without You", "Swan Song" and "Kiss of Fire" are probably the closest they get to it. And even with these songs just compare them with previous similar songs.
Compare "Without You" and "Swan Song" with "Paradise Lost", "The Sacrifice", "When All is Lost" or "Accolade II".
They clearly "lose" for their big brothers.
As for "Kiss of Fire" it's a cool mix of Metallica and Symphony X, but so is "Heretic" which is imo a better song. Despite being both the best songs Metallica didn't write since AJFA.
All in all, "Underworld" is a joyful listening with all the ingredients that made Symphony X the band they are today (man... that guitar work on "Legend" is delicious!). But i personally can"t look away from the fact that they already did songs similar to these but at a greater level.
I give it a 7.

Hits total: 13414 | This month: 3