Metal Storm logo
Mastodon

Original post

Posted by Throne of Rats, 29.04.2007 - 11:49
Probably my favorite band of all time, and I think they need a thread. I saw them live for the first time and they were amazing. They definatly have a style of their own that is hard to compare to. What does everyone else think about these guys, discuss your thoughts.
24.11.2009 - 20:19
RockeRoy
Yes, they are:) and Mastodon to, someone who don't think so got it all wrong if you ask me
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
28.01.2010 - 18:56
DoomGuard
I never liked any Mastodon that i tried out, but when I heard they were releasing a new album AND touring with Dethklok, i decided to give them another try.

Crack the Skye is by far one of my favorite albums now, just pure genius was put into this album and the songs bring me to an almost Nirvana state. It was even better when i saw them live with Dethklok, the songs performed live were so great I have to say it was the best show i had ever been to by far.

I tried the other albums again but just couldn't get into them, maybe i'm listening to the wrong songs? But i do know their style has changed in the new album compared to their older albums. So maybe i'm just into their new style.
02.03.2010 - 22:41
the stranger
Crack The Skye is really a well-written album and somehow it reminds me of Tool, only a bit more technical if that is possible.
07.04.2010 - 23:52
Definetly an amazing band, love their older heavier stuff and the spacy epicness of Crack The Skye.

Although I am still a little perplexed at how they're labelled as "Noisecore". I mean sure, it's hard to define their genre but I would hardly label them as (and I quote): "A subgenre of hardcore techno, similar to power noise or breakcore." If anything I would personally consider them Progressive Sludge Metal but that's just my little pointless rant on the subject .
01.05.2010 - 11:06
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Apparently the Linoleum Knife song for Aqua Teen Hunger Force... the "King Diamond" vocals were actually Brann... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvs_QYDmQaw.

listened to this probably 50-60 times over the last couple years and it still makes me laugh.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
08.05.2010 - 01:21
Gordon Freeman
Going to see these guys in three days with Baroness and Between the Buried and Me.

First concert I'll have been to in almost five years.

It feels weird to say that...
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
10.05.2010 - 01:09
☭ Mr. S &#9773
Owner of the DSA
I just saw them last night in Oakland. They were headlining with seven other bands: Bison b.c., Black Cobra, Valiant Thorr, Priestess, Baroness, High on Fire, and Between the Buried and Me. I thought that the concert ran a little to long, but it was worth the wait for Mastodon. They played Crack the Skye in its entirety, and for the encore they played Crusher Destroyer, Crystal Skull and Blood and Thunder. Mastodon were by far the best band there, but Valiant Thorr and High on Fire both put on killer shows.
----
Seize the weed of production!
10.05.2010 - 07:06
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Wow that is a long gig, we just got Valient Thorr, Baroness, BTBAM and Mastodon. that was a long gig... but would gladly have "suffered" through the additions of Bison BC and High On Fire.

in tucson, Baroness were best musically, VT had the best stage presence, and Mastodon put on a great show, but lacking the exuberance of Baroness or the presence of Valient Himself.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
11.05.2010 - 00:12
Got Mayhem?
I've been trying to get into this band for quite a long time now...maybe it just isn't meant to be. I like some songs, and I have to admit that I like listening to Crack the Skye. One of these days I guess I'll just have to put on Leviathan or Remission and just force it in or something.
----
13.05.2010 - 04:12
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Saw them live in march with Metallica... The sound wasn'tthe best, but I won't blame the band, the voice was to low. But overall they made a great concert, most people there hadn't heard of them at ll and when the setlist ended everyone was screaming "MAstodon, MAstodon"
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
03.06.2010 - 21:28
Gordon Freeman
After seeing them live I have to say that Crack the Skye sounds much better in studio. I suppose the logistics of that album are difficult to pull off in a live setting.

Their encore medley of tunes from their first three albums turned my brain to crap.

Songs like Where Strides the Behemoth, March of the Fire Ants and Blood and Thunder make for a ridiculously strong live performance.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
05.06.2010 - 09:40
Lebowski
I'm another person who didn't really care for Mastodon until Crack the Skye. That album absolutely kicked my ass! And yeah, it's got 70s influence but I like how it also sounds fresh and relevant instead of a caricature or a rip-off.

I will be seeing Mastodon in Montreal soon at the Heavy MTL festival (along with Slayer, Megadeth, Alice Cooper, Halford, Testament... all in the same freaking day! )

Sometimes, seeing a band live gives you a new perspective on the studio songs so maybe I will get into the old Mastodon material that way. I'm wondering if it was the vocals that turned me off? I'm really not sure. I could respect the old material but I just couldn't get into it for some reason
05.06.2010 - 15:55
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Written by Lebowski on 05.06.2010 at 09:40

I'm another person who didn't really care for Mastodon until Crack the Skye. That album absolutely kicked my ass! And yeah, it's got 70s influence but I like how it also sounds fresh and relevant instead of a caricature or a rip-off.

I will be seeing Mastodon in Montreal soon at the Heavy MTL festival (along with Slayer, Megadeth, Alice Cooper, Halford, Testament... all in the same freaking day! )

Sometimes, seeing a band live gives you a new perspective on the studio songs so maybe I will get into the old Mastodon material that way. I'm wondering if it was the vocals that turned me off? I'm really not sure. I could respect the old material but I just couldn't get into it for some reason

I really enjoy Crack The Skye, but I also enjoy their old material too. It's all just a matter of taste I suppose. I'm really interested to see what they do next, because they progress so much after each album that it makes them a little unpredictable.
07.06.2010 - 05:30
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
Written by K✞ulu on 11.06.2009 at 23:21

I've listening to Mastodon and wondering whether the Noisecore tag has really anything to do with their music.

Personally I have no idea why this site labels them as noisecore. I'd call them a blend of sludge and groove and their later stuff progressive.
19.07.2010 - 01:09
The Turbanator
Before this, I used to always ignore Mastodon. I have their album 'Crack The Skye' in my playlist. But always, ignored them. Not my style of music, I'm a Black Metal fan.

So anyway my friend came, we smoked some weed. Then he goes on to my playlist, blasted 'Crack The Skye'. Fucking hell! Why oh why didn't I pay any attention to them before this? This album took me by storm! To test it again, the next day I played the album again. Next thing I know I've been playing that album the whole fucking day. What a masterpiece.

Well now am getting their remaining 3 albums. This band is fucking impressive.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
26.07.2010 - 00:31
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 19.07.2010 at 01:09

Before this, I used to always ignore Mastodon. I have their album 'Crack The Skye' in my playlist. But always, ignored them. Not my style of music, I'm a Black Metal fan.

So anyway my friend came, we smoked some weed. Then he goes on to my playlist, blasted 'Crack The Skye'. Fucking hell! Why oh why didn't I pay any attention to them before this? This album took me by storm! To test it again, the next day I played the album again. Next thing I know I've been playing that album the whole fucking day. What a masterpiece.

Well now am getting their remaining 3 albums. This band is fucking impressive.

Yeah, this is one of those bands that people don't quite get the first time they hear them, but then they hear Mastodon later and it's like a light turns on in your head or something. Same thing happened with me a couple years ago.
28.07.2010 - 06:13
DoommooD
Herd a few songs. very talented band. not for me. the video with the sea beast or whatever was not a good video though. =)
29.07.2010 - 06:18
Got Mayhem?
I'm not the biggest Mastodon fan but...HOT DAMN HYBRID PICKING

I very much do admire their style.
----
02.08.2010 - 20:48
Sulac
Recently began listening to them; they are now among my favorite artists. Both Leviathan and Crack The Skye are superbly well done albums and the music is exquisite.
06.08.2010 - 06:48
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Http://www.gifbin.com/982873
This is just awesome.
My favorite Mastodon song too.
03.10.2010 - 19:27
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by DoomGuard on 28.01.2010 at 18:56

I never liked any Mastodon that i tried out, but when I heard they were releasing a new album AND touring with Dethklok, i decided to give them another try.

Crack the Skye is by far one of my favorite albums now, just pure genius was put into this album and the songs bring me to an almost Nirvana state. It was even better when i saw them live with Dethklok, the songs performed live were so great I have to say it was the best show i had ever been to by far.

I tried the other albums again but just couldn't get into them, maybe i'm listening to the wrong songs? But i do know their style has changed in the new album compared to their older albums. So maybe i'm just into their new style.

Im surprised you can't get into their older stuff, In fact, it took me some time to actually get into Crack The Skye.. since to me, the other
albums were without any doubts master pieces... I loved Crack the Skye but it lacks this raw sound. But still a really good album overall.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
15.10.2010 - 00:15
RobertNowhere
I just cant understand the appeal of this band AT ALL...ah well...
----
http://robertnowhere.blogspot.com
15.10.2010 - 07:30
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by RobertNowhere on 15.10.2010 at 00:15

I just cant understand the appeal of this band AT ALL...ah well...

What do you mean exactly ?!
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
15.10.2010 - 22:33
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I totally rediscovered Blood Mountain today. Absolute riff madness!

Also listened to Crack the Skye, what a glorious piece of music this is. Just amazing. Every song!
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
24.10.2010 - 05:33
the stranger
After listening and loving Crack The Skye for a few months, I decided to get my hands over the rest of their albums. Marvellous stuff. I have a general feeling that they are pushing the rules of musical harmony. It sounds really raw and weird, but never losing the general flow, never losing the harmony and it's fucking intense. Although Crack The Skye is still my favourite, Leviathan, Remission & Blood Mountain are all essentials for any metalhead.
11.01.2011 - 19:23
I have to thank Mastodon, since they are one of the bands that got me into metal. Crack the Skye is a great album, and I love their older albums also. At first when I listened to their older albums I did not think much of them, but they grew on me and now I listen to them all the time.
14.01.2011 - 10:27
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
"Hello all, we are currently in the writing process for the next album. lot's of riffs have been collected!!!" - posted on their Facebook yesterday.

Are you stoked yet?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
14.01.2011 - 18:57
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Stocked? no. stoked? yes.
----

14.01.2011 - 19:14
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
YES
----
loves 小巫
14.01.2011 - 20:28
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by BitterCOld on 14.01.2011 at 18:57

Stocked? no. stoked? yes.