Metal Storm logo
New Album Recommendations 2018

Original post

Posted by 3rdWorld, 05.01.2018 - 19:27
You know the drill, post any metal album released/upcoming in 2018 that you listened, found worthy and want to recommend to others.

UK one-man black metal with a heavy wall-of-noise production. Its on Sentient Ruin, so guaranteed to deliver.

Vessel Of Iniquity - Vessel Of Iniquity

24.06.2018 - 23:43
Mercurial
Written by RaduP on 24.06.2018 at 23:26

choose two more

Well I'd definitely say the Mire record, think a lot of people would dig that. Not sure about the other. A lot of these aren't out yet, so would say either the PALE release, or LoG's Amarok one, if it's out. Not sure the others would have much appeal outside the odd person.
25.06.2018 - 00:38
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by Mercurial on 24.06.2018 at 23:43

Written by RaduP on 24.06.2018 at 23:26

choose two more

Well I'd definitely say the Mire record, think a lot of people would dig that. Not sure about the other. A lot of these aren't out yet, so would say either the PALE release, or LoG's Amarok one, if it's out. Not sure the others would have much appeal outside the odd person.

Alright I'll ask you again in a week or so.
The ones you asked me for are online.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
25.06.2018 - 15:32
Mercurial
Very nice, loose-feeling mid-paced black metal with a melancholic edge and great frosty production. Lots of indulgent leads here.

Still only one track up from this, but if it follows the pattern of the released track it'll be a really good combination of death doom and OSDM. Fingers crossed.

Album trailer for the new Nadja. Music is mostly toward the end of it, sounds like Nadja. Cool psychedelic imagery in the trailer though.

Bismuth did a split with a band called Legion of Andromeda. Really not sure what to think of Legion of Andromeda's side, it's definitely something (sounds like they have a Rottweiler for a vocalist), but Bismuth's side is an excellent blackened, psychedelic ultra-doom / drone song that should be heard.

25.06.2018 - 16:31
Mercurial
Tchornobog recced this last night. Sounds pretty evil, at times melancholic, and great, how did you lot miss this? Expansive black / doom metal with dense, busy production and is oddly lo-fi despite how cinematic it is. Even psychedelic at points with what sounds like distance brass instrumentation and some strange sounding time signatures, then just when it can't surprise you any more it throws ghostly, haunting female vocals into the mix. Pretty amazing stuff, I can honeslty say I've not heard anything quite like it before. Even the piano outro is cool.

25.06.2018 - 16:39
Mercurial
Written by RaduP on 25.06.2018 at 00:38

Hey, review that maybe ^
25.06.2018 - 17:35
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by Mercurial on 25.06.2018 at 16:39

Written by RaduP on 25.06.2018 at 00:38

Hey, review that maybe ^

I swear I'm gonna have to write a review every day with your pace in this thread
----
25.06.2018 - 17:39
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
I still have exams for about two more weeks but when I'm outta that I'll listen to everything in this thread and it'll be over for you, bitches
----
25.06.2018 - 17:45
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
On a sidenote, I see lots of these are splits and EPs and demos. How about we make one of those Clandestrine Cuts articles again? There weren't any of those last year and they deserve a resurgence.
----
25.06.2018 - 23:18
Mercurial
Written by RaduP on 25.06.2018 at 17:45

On a sidenote, I see lots of these are splits and EPs and demos. How about we make one of those Clandestrine Cuts articles again? There weren't any of those last year and they deserve a resurgence.

Not a bad idea. Resurrect it from the dead, along with Staff Picks, apparently.
26.06.2018 - 08:21
Maco
Pvt Funderground
OSDM. What else you need to know? Oh well, it sounds like early At The Gates plus some Morbid Angel plus some early Immolation

----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
26.06.2018 - 23:21
Mercurial
This sounds rather good. Vocalist seems to have taken a few cues from Attila, albeit in a more gruff, melodic way. I really like their use of repetition and moody vibes, the latter third almost sounds like a less dense Darkspace track. The production is more defined but they seem to have a cold, hypnotic, neutral out-of-space kind of way of playing that I think would appeal to Darkspace fans. Very looking forward to the rest now.

Looks like there are more tracks up on Youtube. Here and here. Very nice indeed.

Also on Terratvr Possessions. Massive sounding black metal. I don't know what it is, unless the band is called ........ It sounds good though but I really wish Terratvr would get a proper Bandcamp page because Soundcloud sucks. Bit of a mystery anyway.

27.06.2018 - 00:17
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Musmahhu - Gnipahålan playin death metal and does it well. Too bad its just a 2 track ep, very promising though.

28.06.2018 - 11:48
Mercurial
Like black metal, but also have a huge hankering for saxophone? Then Æthĕrĭa Conscĭentĭa are your guys.

Not sure I've ever seen anyone who were hugely blown away by Slidhr, but they do make some servicable modern black metal.

Aseethe temporarily abandoned their drone approach for some vocalised angular sludge. Split with Snow Burial. Full thing can be heard here.

28.06.2018 - 20:58
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Mercurial on 28.06.2018 at 11:48

Like black metal, but also have a huge hankering for saxophone? Then Æthĕrĭa Conscĭentĭa are your guys.

I want to like this but although the sax parts are glorious I see myself kind of just sitting there waiting for the good part to begin for most of time
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
28.06.2018 - 21:14
Mercurial
Written by Karlabos on 28.06.2018 at 20:58

I want to like this but although the sax parts are glorious I see myself kind of just sitting there waiting for the good part to begin for most of time

Yeah the black metal parts aren't very interesting. Nice cover though
29.06.2018 - 17:37
Mercurial
Sunn O)))'s White1 and 2 got remastered. White2 is probably the greatest drone album ever made so what better chance for the unintiated to get into them

Don't know if the new Wolvennest was reported here much. Some superb sounding psychedelic black metal, with Von Meilenwald of The Ruins Of Beverast on vocals on L'Heure Noire.

Chilean band Invocation have a 2 track EP coming out. Only one song available but it's probably the most compelling death metal thing I've heard this year, in a year not that impressive for death metal so far. Riff-wise it made me think of Lord Mantis' 'Pervertor' tuned into old shool death metal.

Fucking cool sounding avant-garde sludge type thing from Hesperian Death Horse.

And some excellent sounding black metal from Second To Sun. Sound like they take influence from more modern, proggy sounding bands too with really interesting and unique results.

Full album on Bandcamp here (Ugly artwork)

New Converge EP. Four tracks that didn't make it onto the previous full length.

All 4 songs here.
01.07.2018 - 14:10
Mercurial
This sounds great. Not sure how to classify it. The track titles would suggest DSBM, but it would have to be one seriously sophisticated DSBM record.Trippy, melancholic and often epic black metal. Also wins the best "Hanging Your Washing Out To Dry" artwork award.

The Kwade Droes EP was one of my favourite things last year. The follow up full length seems to be a lot more experimental in nature though. Avant-garde soundscape interspersed with noise black / death metal.

Sounds like Triptykon had a baby with doom metal. Nice, weird results.

I love it when bands fuse more rough and raw black metal with epic melodies and leads. These guys fit that bill nicely.

Psychedelic female-led butthole stoner sludge.

01.07.2018 - 16:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Hahahahaha that album title of Kwade Droes.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.07.2018 - 20:04
Mercurial
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.07.2018 at 16:21

The Devil and his Gore Old Cancer doesn't sound like a translation that does it justice, whatever it says.
01.07.2018 - 23:46
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by Mercurial on 01.07.2018 at 14:10

The Kwade Droes EP was one of my favourite things last year. The follow up full length seems to be a lot more experimental in nature though. Avant-garde soundscape interspersed with noise black / death metal.

Liking this. It could be a bit too much variation on this release for my taste but its promising.
02.07.2018 - 00:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Mercurial on 01.07.2018 at 20:04

The Devil and his Gore Old Cancer doesn't sound like a translation that does it justice, whatever it says.

The devil and his squalid old cancerous mum.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.07.2018 - 01:37
Mercurial
Written by [user id=173045] on 01.07.2018 at 23:46

Liking this. It could be a bit too much variation on this release for my taste but its promising.

I only skimmed it as I had to go out but I suspect you're right. I doubt I'll like it as much as last year's ep which concentrated on a few great riffs.
02.07.2018 - 01:38
Mercurial
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.07.2018 at 00:22

Yeah Google translate definitely didn't pick that up right.
02.07.2018 - 03:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Mercurial on 02.07.2018 at 01:38

Yeah Google translate definitely didn't pick that up right.

in cancerous here is in Dutch a swear word. so not the mum actually having cancer. more in line woth in English fucking mother. we swear a lot with diseases in this country. typhoid is another favourite here hahahahaha
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.07.2018 - 08:41
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha

Written by Mercurial on 01.07.2018 at 20:04

But Google translate picked "nut" instead of "mum" sounds more relaxing.
03.07.2018 - 00:14
Mercurial
Very fucking cool, what, psychedelic, avant-garde black metal with death growls? It's great. Audible bass too.

Absolute quality Volahn-esque heavy / black metal.

Incredibly solid, hard hitting Swe-death.

WTF black metal is how I would best describe this. Good though.

Frantic death metal with atypical sounding approach to riffs. Need to listen more but sounds promising, though I prefer that record down there v

More atypical death metal, this time round more oldschool sounding, with an almost ambient approach on top. I could potentially like this a lot.

04.07.2018 - 00:13
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Malsanctum - Funeral black. Those drums at the end.

04.07.2018 - 02:15
tominator
At best deranged
Contributor
Stoner doom from Australia

instrumental stoner rock from Greece
06.07.2018 - 00:00
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
VILKACIS - Unpretentious, catchy black metal from the drummer of Yellow Eyes.

07.07.2018 - 12:36
Mercurial
Super psychedelic stoner from Singapore, Gotta love that ultra-oldschool artwork.

Think I passed this over first time round but this sounds like it's going to be some very well constructed atmos-black with nice folk / acoustic touches.

Absolute quality, riotous but also anthemic punky hardcore.

Instrumental doom done right. Lots of nice atmospheric touches here.

Aborted.

Dakhma with some absolutely fantastic sounding blackened death aural terror.