Metal Storm logo
Nightwish - And The New Singer Is...

... Anette Olzon! In case this name doesn't tell you anything, here are a few facts about her:

Birthday: 21 June 1971

Musical background:
Was raised in a musical family and been singing since childhood. After she turned 13, she started competing in several talent shows. She joined her first real band when she was 17, it was a cover band and all the other musicians were older. After playing cover songs, she joined a band called Alyson Avenue, first just as a studio singer, later as their leading lady. They've released 2 albums since 2000.

At the age of 21, she played the leading role in a rock opera/musical called "Gränsland" in Helsingborg. After that she got in to the Balettakademien in Gothenburg. In addition to the already mentioned, she's been in several other bands over the years, sung in choirs, done studio work for various projects and even occasionally been a wedding singer. Recently she sang a duet with Michael Bormann (ex-Jaded Heart-singer) on his album "Conspiracy".

Read the entire fact file
Interview
Video greeting

Promotional photos: 1 | 2
Promotional band photos: 1 | 2

'Eva', the first single from the new album, should be released tomorrow. Listen to a short sample

Source: nightwish.com
Band profile: Nightwish
Posted: 24.05.2007 by Ivan

Comments page 2 / 4

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 95   Visited by: 59 users
24.05.2007 - 20:54
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Im so dissapointed..... I had high hopes for nightwish.....
She is a good singer, she does look like tarja. But she sounds just like the chick from within temptation

Is nightwish a fucking cover band now?! That song Eva could be on Within Temptation's silent force album!
----
24.05.2007 - 21:04
Dekadance
Account deleted
Its good to see them pick someone outside of the mainstream metal music scene. Its good to see a fresh face and name. BUT she has a lot of work ahead of her. her voice is obviously different, and it doesnt sound like she can cover some of their old song. I have a feeling nightwish is going to change their style around a bit, you already get that feel from their promo pics...

PS: she looks way better than tarja. Tarja is like a drag queen with a good wig.
24.05.2007 - 21:28
Katatronik
Angel of Lust
Finally! She's quite good and her voice too, now I have to hear her on other songs, cause Eva is a ballad and she can't sing the same with real "metal" songs...
----

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear,
and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
Howard Phillips Lovecraft
24.05.2007 - 21:33
kaos666
I am happy. Voice is awesome and thats all that really mattered for me! My day has been made!
24.05.2007 - 21:52
Destryphior
Heh... It's The Rasmus' vocalist with a new voice... The voice of Carola Häggkvist, her voice is so incredibly swedish... Damn Swedes ruining our bands
24.05.2007 - 22:03
Breed-Dreader
uhm....nice tits?
24.05.2007 - 22:18
El Vikingo
Beeeuuuuuuuutiful.

Her voice and look fit very well with Nightwish, so I do believe the guys did a good job finding this woman.
----
"The worst kind of death is getting eaten by someone you love."
24.05.2007 - 22:36
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Written by Taktsekte on 24.05.2007 at 19:35
Indeed, Anette sounds like a mezzosoprano Sharon den Adel,

Exactly what I thought! In the clip she sounds exactly like Sharon at times. I wonder how she'll do live on the existing Nightwish songs.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
24.05.2007 - 22:37
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by Breed-Dreader on 24.05.2007 at 22:03

uhm....nice tits?

you know..I don't know if you say this pure out of pervertness or if you mean something serious with this.
but I did notice that the shirts are quite..low, so to say. Something they would never do in the time of Tarja, plus it is a sign of how they are going to use this new singer, let's say, the same way as Cristina Scabbia of Lacuna Coil or Angela Gossow of Arch Enemy are used. I hate it when bands do that.

I am not a Nightwish fan, but it wouldn't surprise me if the upcoming album will be more mainstream accesible, and maybe even more commercial than they already were. Oh well, we will see, but I don't think it will catch my interest.
24.05.2007 - 23:06
Kaamos
Account deleted
Written by Susan on 24.05.2007 at 22:36

Written by Taktsekte on 24.05.2007 at 19:35
Indeed, Anette sounds like a mezzosoprano Sharon den Adel,

Exactly what I thought! In the clip she sounds exactly like Sharon at times. I wonder how she'll do live on the existing Nightwish songs.

Uhh.. now that doesn't sound too good. Oh well, not like I've had any interest in the band for a long time anyway.
24.05.2007 - 23:11
Torelli
I couldn't care less how she looks like, what matters is the voice. I think the song actually qute promising, but I'm very curious how she will deal with the more powerful songs, and of course, how the old nightwish songs is going to be like. It's nice that she is Swedish though!

For those who are intrested in how she usually sings, here is the myspace for her old band: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&frie0ndID=70156176

This worries me a bit, considering that her voice seems quite tame here. On the other hand, mayby she's holding her voice back in favour for the music. Someone did a comprasion to Carola Häggkvist earlier, and by listening to this band, it's actually not so far away from the truth...
24.05.2007 - 23:14
Uller
Nice vioce, nice girl, awful and boring song, and obvious nightiwish is going to sound diferent, but what's the mater with that? if they keep the good music i have no problem with the band, but if tarja was really nightwish, well then we are gonig to have nothing but an other average power band but i think that no one can do speculations at this time, i think that we must wait and see what nightwish can give....:maniac:
----
24.05.2007 - 23:18
EquilibriuMTR
Account deleted
38 seconds of heavenly music, that's what made me listen to that minuscule sample for fifteen times.

The only thing that I can say is Tuomas has not lost ANYTHING from his music. Plus a nice vocalist with a nice voice (but not nicer than Tarja's). Good choice, and good production.
24.05.2007 - 23:35
Bitch Boy
I liked her voice, as I said in the official thread, we can't judge her whole work by listening only a very short sample.

And I agree with those who said she somehow looks like Tarja
24.05.2007 - 23:50
She does look somehow like Tarja , her voice, for what i heard is really good sounds a bit like Evanescence's Amy Lee . but it might just be that part of the song ....??? Hope they made the right choice with her...

Good luck and hope to c then live soon
----
...SHADOWEDFIRE...
25.05.2007 - 00:16
TheDamned
Account deleted
Am I the only one who think the extract sound A LOT like Never ending story by Within Temptation ? Maybe it's the voice , I don't know . And her interview on the Nightwish site is stupid . Oh well let's see the album and how she can sing the tarja repertory . But I don't hope for another Oceanborn or Wishmaster anytime soon
25.05.2007 - 00:23
Fhuesc
I think shes pretty, but for sure looks like the singer of the rasmus... oh!!! no!!! theres something wrong with me!!!

Edit: what a horrible song!!!, i agree with all the people that say this is a new Within Temptation. And theres no way to compare the Tarjas voice with Anettes voice, Tarja is far way better.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
25.05.2007 - 01:09
X-FrEaK
hum...she is A GOOD singer(didnt listen to her singing though )

Edited: AHHHHHH this sounds like new Within Temptation....bad bad bad
----
25.05.2007 - 01:22
Urizen367
wow. she looks like a more attractive Tarja. is it possible they didn't reveal her face for so long because she was still in surgery? or is it highly coincidental?? or am i thinkin of too many conspiracies?!?! maybe all.
----
I will not reason and compare, my business is to create.
25.05.2007 - 01:37
APOHAKC
The Bard
She is hot
can't wait to hear her singing
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
25.05.2007 - 02:44
Rogue30
Wow, I her. Can't wait for new album.
25.05.2007 - 02:47
The Pharaon
Account deleted
At least!
I'm looking forward to their new album then
Good luck Anette!
25.05.2007 - 03:02
Soliloquy
i wonder what the whole suspense was about. i mean...why put us under so much stress? but oh well, she sounds pretty good. and lets see what she can do
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
25.05.2007 - 03:41
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Lol "stress". It's just a band, man. She looks fine, I don't care too much about the music At least "wedding singer" made me smile
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
25.05.2007 - 03:55
Vanhellis
Well it looks a lot better than Tarja, she's dumped in Argentina rotting in Buenos Aires, but well as long as Nightwish stills the same or better.
----
25.05.2007 - 04:26
Jiri
I knew it would not be Vibeke. Good luck to Anette!
25.05.2007 - 05:57
Bararey
Winter is Coming
Elite
ok is it only me or does Emppu look much taller than his original height in band photo #2
----
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Ser Jorah Mormont
25.05.2007 - 06:21
jadawal
Written by Bararey on 25.05.2007 at 05:57

ok is it only me or does Emppu look much taller than his original height in band photo #2

I guess they've completley gone commercial.
25.05.2007 - 07:28
Judas
The Amputator
I didn't mind the new single. I'm not a huge fan of their slow songs (save for 'Sleeping Sun'), but this one is better than usual. Her voice is different to Tarja's, although with that sort of background I'm sure she can add a personal touch to the old material without screwing it up. Anyway, if she had to sing old stuff for the audition, and it impressed the band enough, then I'm sure we won't be able to complain too much.

As for the photos, Jukka looks like a prize idiot in the first one, and Tuomas looks like he's intentionally being gay in the second. Other than that, it's not that huge a departure from the Nightwish we know and love, Annette is pretty much as easy on the eyes as Tarja was! Oh, and Emppu certainly does look taller, he's usually a midget.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
25.05.2007 - 09:13
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Nice with a name (and pics)...finally! I like the sample, she has a good voice. It's true that it reminds of Sharon Den Adel's at times but I don't mind that, 'cause her voice is exellent as well.
As for the promo pics I agree with Judas. Jukka looks idiotic, Tuomas gay and Emppu taller
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep

Hits total: 6407 | This month: 15