Metal Storm logo
Blind Guardian

Original post

Posted by Judas, 21.06.2007 - 14:35
Alright, since the old thread was locked because we posted to the limit, here's the new one!

To get us re-started, I think I'll wish Frederik a Happy 29th Birthday.

Also, have any of you bought the 'Another Stranger Me' single, and if so, do you recommend getting it? I usually don't get EPs and singles, but if they're good then I can make exceptions. I've already seen the video (which was weird, at least for Blind Guardian), but some of the songs are new. Also, any comments on their appearance at Hellfest would be much appreciated, from those fortunate enough to see them there.
30.08.2007 - 08:07
Asat0r
I couldn't get into "A Twist In the Myth" as much as I could their other albums. But to say the newer albums don't have the passion and feeling? "A Night At the Opera" is an amazing album, that has loads of "passion" in it. Listen to the song "Age of False Innocense" and tell me that Hansi isn't singing his heart out.
09.09.2007 - 10:53
LostSoul
That's same what I'm thinking. New songs are lacking the beautiful melodies of old ones. "A Night At The Opera" and "Nightfall In Middle-Earth" are the best albums they have. There are just something in those albums, maybe it is "passion", but at least there is something really good in those albums that makes you listen to them over and over again.
----
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying "Damn... we fucked up"
30.09.2007 - 06:09
Sequester
Account deleted
Written by LostSoul on 09.09.2007 at 10:53

That's same what I'm thinking. New songs are lacking the beautiful melodies of old ones. "A Night At The Opera" and "Nightfall In Middle-Earth" are the best albums they have. There are just something in those albums, maybe it is "passion", but at least there is something really good in those albums that makes you listen to them over and over again.

I still think it is too early to tell whether or not ATITM will become as good as the aforementioned ones. After all, ANATO was hated by many for the longest time, yet lately more and more people are starting to give praise to that album.
01.10.2007 - 10:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by LostSoul on 09.09.2007 at 10:53

Its best album because you havnt hear old albums or because you like flower power metal?
IMO best albums are firts 3+next 2 till Nightfall, I never cant lsitened Nighfall and + more how one time but firts yes speeding all day
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.10.2007 - 10:18
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Professionally filmed video footage of Blind Guardian performing the track 'The Bard's Song' at this year's Wacken Open Air festival can be viewed at this location.
09.10.2007 - 14:55
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
ahhhhhhhhhhhh "Lord Of The Rings"
26.10.2007 - 16:30
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Blind Guardian will hold a signing session at a special premiere screening of the new action/fantasy movie "In the Name of the King - Dungeon Siege" on November 29 at UCI Kinowelt Ruhr Park in Bochum, Germany. The signing session will begin at 19.00 CET.
02.11.2007 - 23:26
Fuath
i like them very much, he has a very unique voice
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

06.11.2007 - 21:59
juanopereira
Blind Guardian is one of my favorite bands. Their style is unique and the voice of Hansi is incredible. Very professional music.
I think that with one song of blind guardian, metallica would make an entire album.
06.11.2007 - 23:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by juanopereira on 06.11.2007 at 21:59

I think that with one song of blind guardian, metallica would make an entire album.

What you mean about it?
----

apos;'
[image]
07.11.2007 - 00:06
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
that there are as many musical ideas in one their song as Metallica has in whole album?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

07.11.2007 - 00:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ellrohir on 07.11.2007 at 00:06

that there are as many musical ideas in one their song as Metallica has in whole album?

what conection are metallia whit BG?
----

apos;'
[image]
07.11.2007 - 01:02
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted

you mean if Metallica were to cover Blind Guardian
07.11.2007 - 03:36
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Guest on 07.11.2007 at 01:02

you mean if Metallica were to cover Blind Guardian

I think he means that Blind Guardian has more better musicianship and songwriting in one song than Metallica has in a whole album.
----
The force will be with you, always.
07.11.2007 - 12:31
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Clintagräm on 07.11.2007 at 03:36

I think he means that Blind Guardian has more better musicianship and songwriting in one song than Metallica has in a whole album.

That's how I understood it as well...Not sure he's entirely right, but what the heck
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
08.11.2007 - 00:29
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
ohhhhhhh! I see now , right right.....and K7: there is no musical connection but Metallica are worth comparing to since they are so big and overrated.
08.11.2007 - 00:37
juanopereira
Quote:

Here's somebody who undestood the idea XD
In one song of blind guardian you can hear a lot of different and good parts. Metallica (old) has good ideas in their songs but they repeat them too much.
09.11.2007 - 04:50
bucky01403
Account deleted
I love blind Guardian, but to say that they pour more into one song than Metallica puts into an album is absurd.
24.11.2007 - 18:02
juanopereira
Just listen "And then there was silence" and you will see what I'm talking about.
25.11.2007 - 05:53
Judas
The Amputator
Well, Metallica have always been much more of a 'straight up and down' sort of band than Blind Guardian. I mean, I could write a song in like half an hour and pass it off as a Metallica song without too much trouble, because their style doesn't really change that much in the early years. But I could be writing for a year and still not get to the level of complexity required for a song to be passable as one by Blind Guardian, especially in the past 10 years.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
25.11.2007 - 08:44
Opium
Account deleted
Written by Judas on 25.11.2007 at 05:53

Well, Metallica have always been much more of a 'straight up and down' sort of band than Blind Guardian. I mean, I could write a song in like half an hour and pass it off as a Metallica song without too much trouble, because their style doesn't really change that much in the early years. But I could be writing for a year and still not get to the level of complexity required for a song to be passable as one by Blind Guardian, especially in the past 10 years.

I totally agree with you here, Vik, the amount of effort that goes into a BG songs would require much time in comparison to ANY Metallica song. The elements existent in BG's songs (especially the more recent) would take more skill and/or experience to structure precisely as opposed to just the basic instruments of any ordinary band like Metallica.
25.11.2007 - 08:58
bucky01403
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 25.11.2007 at 08:44

I totally agree with you here, Vik, the amount of effort that goes into a BG songs would require much time in comparison to ANY Metallica song. The elements existent in BG's songs (especially the more recent) would take more skill and/or experience to structure precisely as opposed to just the basic instruments of any ordinary band like Metallica.

Putting layers and layers of sound into a song doesn't necessarily make it complex.
25.11.2007 - 09:22
Opium
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 25.11.2007 at 08:58

Putting layers and layers of sound into a song doesn't necessarily make it complex.

To construct it in an articulate manner does. This is what BG does.
27.11.2007 - 17:44
Finicella
Account deleted
One of the few bands from Germany which are good.
But I must admit that I since Nightfall In Middle-Earth the music got worse... :/ For example, One Night At The Opera (is this the right title...?) hadn't got any songs I really liked. :/
Best times were times of Somewhere Far Beyond. :3
27.11.2007 - 20:02
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
what? you dont like And Then There Was Silence? is that even possible???
----

27.11.2007 - 20:38
Finicella
Account deleted
Yep, it is. I liked it the first time I listened to it (has to be because of the length, I love song that are looong ^^), but after a while I couldn't listen to it anymore because it was just sung too high and the melodies... I don't know, they're too chaotic.
27.11.2007 - 23:48
bucky01403
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 25.11.2007 at 09:22

I agree, but making the arrangements complex doesn't necessarily make it musically intricate.
28.11.2007 - 05:39
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Guest on 27.11.2007 at 23:48

Written by Guest on 25.11.2007 at 09:22

I agree, but making the arrangements complex doesn't necessarily make it musically intricate.

Complex arrangements that work together to convey the mood, feel and power that a song needs are always pretty intricately constructed, in my experience. IMO, that's the difference between 'pretentiousness' (e.g. Dream Theater), 'refined art' (e.g. Blind Guardian), and 'barbarism' (e.g. Metallica). I'm not saying that pretentiousness and barbarism have no place in music, because they do, but I'm saying that it's harder to make refined art. Dream Theater are musically more complex than Blind Guardian, yes, but their stuff doesn't flow at all. Metallica are probably tighter than Blind Guardian, but it's not hard for them to be tight because their music is less layered. Thus, it's the middle ground, the 'refined art', that is hardest to create, and that's why Blind Guardian are so musically intricate.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
28.11.2007 - 18:43
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Guest on 27.11.2007 at 20:38
and the melodies... I don't know, they're too chaotic.

well, thats exactly that what i enjoy - that they are using so much different melodies in one song - not just the "classical" scheme - "intro" - "verse" - "bridge" - "refrain" - "verse" - "bridge" - "refrain" - "instrumental solo" - "bridge" - "refrain" - "refrain" - "outro"....
----

29.11.2007 - 19:39
Timsen
Account deleted
I like both "faces" of this band. The old, straight and thrashy BG,
but also the new BG which is much more complex.

My fav Album, Nightfall In Middle-Earth, keeps the golden mean ;-)