Metal Storm logo
Blind Guardian

Original post

Posted by Judas, 21.06.2007 - 14:35
Alright, since the old thread was locked because we posted to the limit, here's the new one!

To get us re-started, I think I'll wish Frederik a Happy 29th Birthday.

Also, have any of you bought the 'Another Stranger Me' single, and if so, do you recommend getting it? I usually don't get EPs and singles, but if they're good then I can make exceptions. I've already seen the video (which was weird, at least for Blind Guardian), but some of the songs are new. Also, any comments on their appearance at Hellfest would be much appreciated, from those fortunate enough to see them there.
12.11.2008 - 00:09
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Hrothdane on 06.11.2008 at 08:55

Here is the new song that Blind Guardian recorded for the game Sacred 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fakNlghOJY&feature=related

I was curious to hear what peoples' reactions on metalstorm are to it. The reactions I have seen over the internets have been overwhelming positive, with a lot of people saying it sounds like a reconciliation of "new" blind guardian (a twist in the myth, a night at the opera) with "old" blind guardian (imaginations from the other side, nightfall on middle earth).

New BG is just too over-produced, for me.
that voice over-lapping kills me...a little goes a long way
excuse me while I listen to Nighfall...
12.11.2008 - 01:33
Hrothdane
Written by JÄY on 12.11.2008 at 00:09

Here is the new song that Blind Guardian recorded for the game Sacred 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fakNlghOJY&feature=related

I was curious to hear what peoples' reactions on metalstorm are to it. The reactions I have seen over the internets have been overwhelming positive, with a lot of people saying it sounds like a reconciliation of "new" blind guardian (a twist in the myth, a night at the opera) with "old" blind guardian (imaginations from the other side, nightfall on middle earth).

Maybe it is just b/c A Night at the Opera and A Twist in the Myth have a lot of sentimental value to me, but I really like the new blind guardian material just as much as the old. The multi-tracking vocals I think are cool (although they were a little overdone on A Night at the Opera) and really add to the atmosphere. I'm glad that they are trying to meld their old and new styles though.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
25.11.2008 - 12:02
Judas
The Amputator
Having myself a Blind Guardian marathon at the moment. Chronological order, starting with the Lucifer's Heritage demos and ending with the song they made for Sacred II, and including absolutely everything they have ever officially released in between. It's going to be an awesome evening!
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
28.11.2008 - 10:31
Jewfasa
Account deleted
Blind Guardian is a awesome band.
12.01.2009 - 21:16
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Listening after so much time to their song "Lord Of The Rings", damn.. there's too much emotion in this song... someone needs to remind them "dude, it's only a story" very good song though
12.01.2009 - 21:22
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 12.01.2009 at 21:16

Listening after so much time to their song "Lord Of The Rings", damn.. there's too much emotion in this song... someone needs to remind them "dude, it's only a story" very good song though

that's what makes it exceptionnal...
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
13.01.2009 - 00:11
giok99
Written by JÄY on 12.11.2008 at 00:09

I love those over-produced Songs by BG. It's just put me in trance. It's like a 3D Song for me. I put my headset and the film, game begin.

Only Hope that BG will continue with those great songs.
----
Nothing is real
07.03.2009 - 00:16
BattleHamster
So has anyone else seen Hansi's update on their website? It doesn't exactly give that much more information (I mean, their new album will have lots of fantasy-based lyrics - there's a big surprise) but it's nice to hear that they're going to start with the production in the fall.

Maybe they'll even have a single out soon (soon for BG that is). Personally, I would kill for a new song with a live version of "And Then There Was Silence" ...
10.03.2009 - 02:38
Mongoose2557
Account deleted
Could someone put a list of the best Blind Guardian albums from greatest to least?
10.03.2009 - 05:52
Hrothdane
Written by Guest on 10.03.2009 at 02:38

Could someone put a list of the best Blind Guardian albums from greatest to least?

This is my list. If you are looking for recommendations on which album to start with, I would suggest Imaginations or Nightfall based off of the bands you have on your favorites. A Night at the Opera and A Twist in the Myth are more symphonic and not quite as heavy. If you are a big tolkien fan, definitely check out Nightfall b/c it is a concept album about the Simarillion.

Imaginations from the Other Side
Nightfall on Middle Earth
A Night at the Opera
A Twist in the Myth
Somewhere Far Beyond
Tales from the Twilight World
Battalions of Fear
Follow the Blind
----

10.03.2009 - 21:35
Mongoose2557
Account deleted
Written by Hrothdane on 10.03.2009 at 05:52

This is my list. If you are looking for recommendations on which album to start with, I would suggest Imaginations or Nightfall based off of the bands you have on your favorites. A Night at the Opera and A Twist in the Myth are more symphonic and not quite as heavy. If you are a big tolkien fan, definitely check out Nightfall b/c it is a concept album about the Simarillion.

A Night at the Opera
A Twist in the Myth
Somewhere Far Beyond
Battalions of Fear
Follow the Blind

Thanks for the list man.:thumbup:
10.03.2009 - 21:45
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Guest on 10.03.2009 at 21:35

A Night at the Opera
A Twist in the Myth
Somewhere Far Beyond
Battalions of Fear
Follow the Blind

While I haven't heard all BG album, I can still say my list would end up looking a lot like the one given by Hrothdane
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
10.03.2009 - 22:26
BattleHamster
My list would also look a lot like Hrothdane's, except that I like Nightfall at least as much, if not more, than Imaginations. And my favorite song is on A Night at the Opera.

If you just want to see what they're like in general, there's their second live album, which has something from all but A Twist in the Myth, but, since their later stuff has a lot of layered vocals and stuff they can't do live, some of their songs sounds pretty different live than studio. It's still very good and definitely worth listening to, though.
13.03.2009 - 16:01
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Nightfall is imo their best album. it's just one masterpiece after another(excluding of course the interludes, some of which sound pretty good though). i said somewhere that the guys put so much emotion in the song "The Lord of the Rings" it's scary, that someone should tell them it's just a fucking story, lol. well they do pretty much the same thing on Nightfall, only a whole lot better
14.03.2009 - 07:10
Zelse
While I love Blind Guardian, Imaginations is the only consistent album for me - on almost every other song, I find a few songs that I can't stand. A Twist In The Myth is probably closest to Imaginations for me, despite not being a fan of the crazy layered vocals.

That said, And Then There Was Silence (on the A Night At The Opera) album is quite possibly the best thing the band has ever done. What a fucking MASTERPIECE that song is.
14.03.2009 - 08:13
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by GT on 10.03.2009 at 21:45

Written by Guest on 10.03.2009 at 21:35

A Night at the Opera
A Twist in the Myth
Somewhere Far Beyond
Battalions of Fear
Follow the Blind

While I haven't heard all BG album, I can still say my list would end up looking a lot like the one given by Hrothdane

yeah, exactly. I'd start from their first two albums because they are good anyways, and you could just start chronologically and see how the band has developed.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
14.03.2009 - 08:38
BattleHamster
Yeah. Be warned, though - they have changed a lot over the past twenty years, so don't be surprised if you like one "era" way better.

I agree that IFTOS is probably the most consistent in that all the songs are really amazingly good, but NIME is probably still my favorite because the songs I like I really love, and all the songs on it are still really good.

"And Then There Was Silence" is brilliant. If there's one song that I desperately want to hear live, it's that. [/excessive fangirling]
14.03.2009 - 09:22
Hrothdane
Written by BattleHamster on 14.03.2009 at 08:38

Yeah. Be warned, though - they have changed a lot over the past twenty years, so don't be surprised if you like one "era" way better.

I agree that IFTOS is probably the most consistent in that all the songs are really amazingly good, but NIME is probably still my favorite because the songs I like I really love, and all the songs on it are still really good.

"And Then There Was Silence" is brilliant. If there's one song that I desperately want to hear live, it's that. [/excessive fangirling]

I'm going to have to agree with you on all of that lol (probably even the excessive fangirling at And Then There Was Silence being played live...). Why I love BG and consider them my favorite band is that I love every era of their music. A Twist in the Myth is the first real metal album I ever heard and really got me into metal. As time went on, I kept going farther and farther back in their discography and discovering that I loved all their work. IftOS and NiME are neck-and-neck with me for favorite BG album, but if i have to pick one I would probably pick IftOS. I do truly love Time Stands Still though.
----

25.03.2009 - 02:03
Wyrd
Written by Hrothdane on 14.03.2009 at 09:22

I'm going to have to agree with you on all of that lol (probably even the excessive fangirling at And Then There Was Silence being played live...). Why I love BG and consider them my favorite band is that I love every era of their music. A Twist in the Myth is the first real metal album I ever heard and really got me into metal. As time went on, I kept going farther and farther back in their discography and discovering that I loved all their work. IftOS and NiME are neck-and-neck with me for favorite BG album, but if i have to pick one I would probably pick IftOS. I do truly love Time Stands Still though.

All hands down, "Battlefrild" and "Fly" have to be my Fav song by BG.
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
28.03.2009 - 19:09
BattleHamster
"Battlefield" is awesome - another one I'd love to hear live. "Fly" is great, though I like the live versions I've heard of it more than the studio version.
29.03.2009 - 00:11
Wyrd
Written by BattleHamster on 28.03.2009 at 19:09

"Battlefield" is awesome - another one I'd love to hear live. "Fly" is great, though I like the live versions I've heard of it more than the studio version.

"The Bards Song" is also a great song to hear live
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
01.04.2009 - 16:19
Judas
The Amputator
Written by BattleHamster on 28.03.2009 at 19:09

'Battlefield' does rule, but they've never actually played it live, there's way too much happening in that song for it to be rendered properly in a live setting. A bit of a pity, but oh well, there's other awesome stuff they can play too right!
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
04.04.2009 - 03:16
BattleHamster
I vaguely remember hearing that they were going to play it at their festival in 2003, but Thomen was hurt and they didn't want to make it worse. That could've been "Curse of Fëanor," though ... (There's another song I'd kill to hear live, partly because it's a great song and partly because Fëanor is an awesome character.) Ah well, it's not like they don't have plenty of other great songs to play live.
07.04.2009 - 07:01
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Yeah, Nightfall in Middle earth Kills. And So does the Silmarilion
One day, I'm gonna read that book again and listen to the album while I read it, every time I read it, just so I can say that I did
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
07.04.2009 - 12:26
storm.earth.fire
Account deleted
"And Then There Was Silence" is brilliant. If there's one song that I desperately want to hear live, it's that.

same here, same here
also, i'd like to hear how it would sound if they record the remastered version of the song, 'cause some parts in the original are too blurry and muddy
13.07.2009 - 21:32
Redwolf
Holy shit, holy shit, I had no idea they were that good live...
I went to see them on Masters of Rock on Saturday. I only saw 2/3 of the show and I felt horribly sick from all the "festival food" but it was still the best show I have ever been to.

Guardian! Guardian! Guardian!
15.07.2009 - 04:44
Biedrik
I envy you Europeans. Us Americans won't be getting to see Blind Guardian live for a while. Probably not until the new album comes out.
----
I'm selling metal posters! Ask me about them if you're interested.
16.07.2009 - 15:00
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I missed them on this year´s Masters Of Rock...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

17.07.2009 - 03:38
Hrothdane
Written by Biedrik on 15.07.2009 at 04:44

I envy you Europeans. Us Americans won't be getting to see Blind Guardian live for a while. Probably not until the new album comes out.

Don't remind me!

I still haven't seen them yet...
----

17.07.2009 - 19:08
Biedrik
Written by Hrothdane on 17.07.2009 at 03:38

Written by Biedrik on 15.07.2009 at 04:44

Don't remind me!

I still haven't seen them yet...

I'm sorry. I know how you feel. I missed them back in 2006
----
I'm selling metal posters! Ask me about them if you're interested.