Metal Storm logo
Blind Guardian

Original post

Posted by Judas, 21.06.2007 - 14:35
Alright, since the old thread was locked because we posted to the limit, here's the new one!

To get us re-started, I think I'll wish Frederik a Happy 29th Birthday.

Also, have any of you bought the 'Another Stranger Me' single, and if so, do you recommend getting it? I usually don't get EPs and singles, but if they're good then I can make exceptions. I've already seen the video (which was weird, at least for Blind Guardian), but some of the songs are new. Also, any comments on their appearance at Hellfest would be much appreciated, from those fortunate enough to see them there.
05.02.2008 - 12:16
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i am currently in love with the track "Noldor" from their Nightfall album

"I know/ Where The Stars Glow.."
11.02.2008 - 01:34
Varegan
Hamranakara
Written by Valentin B on 05.02.2008 at 12:16

i am currently in love with the track "Noldor" from their Nightfall album

"I know/ Where The Stars Glow.."

and I'm living with "Time Stand Still". tale of glorious Fingolfin
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
11.02.2008 - 03:09
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
and i am having fun reading this review
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

11.02.2008 - 18:02
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Ellrohir on 11.02.2008 at 03:09

Haha yeah that's a pretty stupid review and I agree with your comment. Shouldn't have been published.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
12.02.2008 - 00:37
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Written by GT on 11.02.2008 at 18:02

Haha yeah that's a pretty stupid review and I agree with your comment. Shouldn't have been published.

Probably the album deserves more than two. But on the other hand it's his own opinion and I respect it. For me the album deserve a higher rating, but I'm not objective because I like the band
12.02.2008 - 10:38
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
but this is not about opinion...it is just blaming of generic power metal by power-metal hater...
----

12.02.2008 - 12:50
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
He hates power-metal ? I not sure at 100 %, but when he says "Don't believe me? Can you tell me a power metal album that contains those things and called terrible by fans of the genre?" this sentence can be said for each kind of metal. When you like a lot a band, you're not really objective, even if you try to be it.
I'm totally disagree with his review (particularly on his ratting and his vision of the album), but again it's his own point of view.
12.02.2008 - 16:17
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
well i for instance havent enjoyed BG's album Imaginations From The Other Side much...is it a bad album then, when I, power metal fan, dont enjoy it? and should i go and write a review giving 2 or 3 points because I wasnt satisfied that much as I expected?
----

12.02.2008 - 18:07
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Written by Ellrohir on 12.02.2008 at 16:17

and should i go and write a review giving 2 or 3 points because I wasnt satisfied that much as I expected?

I'm agree with you on that point (and it was the reason which I said up "I'm totally disagree whit his review (particularly on his ratting and his vision of the album)".
04.03.2008 - 12:15
Opium
Account deleted
Written by Judas on 07.07.2007 at 05:44

Written by Bad English on 01.07.2007 at 13:26

Written by Judas on 30.06.2007 at 05:52

Written by Guest on 30.06.2007 at 01:04

Why did Blind Guardian's old drummer leave them?

Thomen left because he was unsatisfied with the band's musical direction. He wanted to play stuff in the vein of their first four or five albums, and didn't like the increasingly complex and layered nature of their work. After leaving, he formed a new band called Savage Circus, who, predictably, play music that sounds remarkably like old Blind Guardian.

I woud leave band too after Nigfall album

BTW Bard Song eP why there are say new studio verse, I liaten old and that song I can hera diferencies, or ist only recordet for new?

They re-recorded the song, and then there are the various live versions. They didn't change anything, as far as I know.

Just a bit of news, they've released remastered versions of all their albums up to 'Nightfall in Middle-Earth' now, only for Europe though. 'Battalions of Fear' and 'Follow the Blind' have been remixed as well, so they sound a lot more polished, and the demos have been added as bonus tracks ('Symphonies of Doom', recorded in 1985 when they were still called Lucifer's Heritage, and 'Battalions of Fear' recorded in 1986 after the name change). The remastered versions of the other albums have extra stuff as well, such as videos, outtakes and demos for some albums. You can hear samples from these remasters here.

I don't know how I missed this news at all... And I haven't even seen these on eBay, but I presume I'd be able to find them if I looked around a bit. Have you obtained any copies of these remasters/remixes, Vik?

For the record, Imaginations From The Other Side is their best album, hands down Well, for me it is, methinks this 'transition album' was really the perfect blend between the old and the new sound.
07.03.2008 - 19:24
Knightrider
The Sorcerer
Written by Guest on 04.03.2008 at 12:15

Thomen left because he was unsatisfied with the band's musical direction. He wanted to play stuff in the vein of their first four or five albums, and didn't like the increasingly complex and layered nature of their work. After leaving, he formed a new band called Savage Circus, who, predictably, play music that sounds remarkably like old Blind Guardian.

BTW Bard Song eP why there are say new studio verse, I liaten old and that song I can hera diferencies, or ist only recordet for new?

They re-recorded the song, and then there are the various live versions. They didn't change anything, as far as I know.

Just a bit of news, they've released remastered versions of all their albums up to 'Nightfall in Middle-Earth' now, only for Europe though. 'Battalions of Fear' and 'Follow the Blind' have been remixed as well, so they sound a lot more polished, and the demos have been added as bonus tracks ('Symphonies of Doom', recorded in 1985 when they were still called Lucifer's Heritage, and 'Battalions of Fear' recorded in 1986 after the name change). The remastered versions of the other albums have extra stuff as well, such as videos, outtakes and demos for some albums. You can hear samples from these remasters here.

I don't know how I missed this news at all... And I haven't even seen these on eBay, but I presume I'd be able to find them if I looked around a bit. Have you obtained any copies of these remasters/remixes, Vik?

For the record, Imaginations From The Other Side is their best album, hands down Well, for me it is, methinks this 'transition album' was really the perfect blend between the old and the new sound.

Well, I recently bought all remastered albums, and now finally i have them all.
07.03.2008 - 20:41
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by White Winter Sun on 12.02.2008 at 12:50

He hates power-metal ? I not sure at 100 %, but when he says "Don't believe me? Can you tell me a power metal album that contains those things and called terrible by fans of the genre?" this sentence can be said for each kind of metal. When you like a lot a band, you're not really objective, even if you try to be it.
I'm totally disagree with his review (particularly on his ratting and his vision of the album), but again it's his own point of view.

He also wrote highly of the preceding Blind Guardian album, describing it as "NEAR FLAWLESS"... he is/was a fan of the band that simply did not like their opting to go for the "safe" topic rather than continue to push the envelope in the other direction as they did with "Imaginations."

Was the grade low?

In my opinion, it was.

It is his opinion and he is entitled to it. He backed it up with some statements, just as it is your right to disagree.

Ultimately, sometimes I rather prefer a fan of the band who isn't afraid to be cynical to the fanboi who rates everything by their favorite artist a 10, and there are far too many of those on this site.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
09.03.2008 - 11:00
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Knightrider on 07.03.2008 at 19:24

Written by Guest on 04.03.2008 at 12:15

Well, I recently bought all remastered albums, and now finally i have them all.

I haven't bothered with them yet, but I've heard the remasters, and for the most part I'd say it's not worth getting them if you have the originals already. However, the exceptions are 'Battalions of Fear' and 'Follow the Blind'. The originals are recorded pretty crappily, and it's nice hearing them all cleaned up, there are quite a few things that you miss on the old versions that are audible on the new ones. Also, you get the old Lucifer's Heritage demos as bonus tracks, which is really cool, because you can't find them otherwise.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
09.03.2008 - 17:49
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I didn't notice until now, but Blind Guardian does a killer rendition of Satan's 'Trial by Fire.' Check it out!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=H3tTuZCKUYo
----
The force will be with you, always.
09.03.2008 - 17:53
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
@C.J.W.Wyatt: yeah that's a pretty sweet song. Haven't heard the original so I can't compare the two.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
22.04.2008 - 06:24
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Well, I'm still trying to get into Blind Guardian's last album 'A Twist in the Myth.' I've had it for about a year and a half and I still can't quite grasp it yet. The opening track "This Will Never End" is actually quite good as I am sitting down to the album now, but every time I listen to the album I end up getting unfocused less than half way through and either turning it down, off, or just not paying attention. I believe this album holds something very special, as all Blind Guardian albums do, and I do like certain aspects of it, but I just need to give it more attention. One thing I don't really like is the production. There's just something about it that puts me off, but it's something I'll have to stomach.
----
The force will be with you, always.
23.04.2008 - 14:26
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
i am enjoying Otherland from it, but overall the album is really not their best...
----

23.07.2008 - 13:07
Valentin B
Iconoclast
from the trivia:

"Hansi has been working for 8 years on an orchestral project writing music about Lord of the Rings (negotiations failed to be included on the famous Lord of the Rings Trilogy movies as the soundtrack). The album will be released in 2008, and although it will not be a power metal album (meaning that there wont be any drums or electric guitars and bass), it will be published under the name of Blind Guardian because it matches the theme of the band's lyrics, as Hansi said."

what's the status on this album? anyone got any news? i'd really like to hear it.
26.07.2008 - 19:46
Hrothdane
Written by Valentin B on 23.07.2008 at 13:07

from the trivia:

"Hansi has been working for 8 years on an orchestral project writing music about Lord of the Rings (negotiations failed to be included on the famous Lord of the Rings Trilogy movies as the soundtrack). The album will be released in 2008, and although it will not be a power metal album (meaning that there wont be any drums or electric guitars and bass), it will be published under the name of Blind Guardian because it matches the theme of the band's lyrics, as Hansi said."

what's the status on this album? anyone got any news? i'd really like to hear it.

He is currently focusing on trying to finish it right now I hear. I'm really sad we never got to hear it in the movies, but I still can't wait to hear it!
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
26.07.2008 - 19:52
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Hrothdane on 26.07.2008 at 19:46

from the trivia:

He is currently focusing on trying to finish it right now I hear. I'm really sad we never got to hear it in the movies, but I still can't wait to hear it!

nah, with all due respect for hansi, i don't think he could ever beat the original LOTR score(even with Nightfall pt. 2 or something, only about LOTR, not even then i don't think he would top it). it's perfect in almost every way.
27.07.2008 - 09:24
Hrothdane
Written by Valentin B on 26.07.2008 at 19:52

Written by Hrothdane on 26.07.2008 at 19:46

from the trivia:

nah, with all due respect for hansi, i don't think he could ever beat the original LOTR score(even with Nightfall pt. 2 or something, only about LOTR, not even then i don't think he would top it). it's perfect in almost every way.

Oh I agree that the soundtrack was perfectly suited to the movies, the idea of blind guardian doing a soundtrack for something like LotR just seems so perfect to me.
----

28.07.2008 - 04:37
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Hrothdane: Maybe they could do a soundtrack for a Dragonlance movie (with real fuckin actors...not a cartoon)
29.07.2008 - 02:28
Hrothdane
Written by Guest on 28.07.2008 at 04:37

@Hrothdane: Maybe they could do a soundtrack for a Dragonlance movie (with real fuckin actors...not a cartoon)

There has been talk of Dark Tower movies for awhile, they would be perfect for those too
----

29.07.2008 - 19:29
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Hrothdane on 29.07.2008 at 02:28

There has been talk of Dark Tower movies for awhile, they would be perfect for those too

Terror Train from Demons and Wizards' second album would be perfect, haven't read the books but i would definetely like to hear it in a movie as a soundtrack.

also, what are the effects used in the beginning of the song "Blood Tears"? an acoustic guitar with delay and reverb right?
01.08.2008 - 08:27
thesabbathfan

it was a guest reviewer though. but true enough, you shouldn't be writing power metal reviews if you aren't a fan.

anyways, BG is my favourite power metal band EVAR!
----
02.08.2008 - 08:30
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Valentin B on 29.07.2008 at 19:29

Written by Hrothdane on 29.07.2008 at 02:28

Terror Train from Demons and Wizards' second album would be perfect, haven't read the books but i would definetely like to hear it in a movie as a soundtrack.

also, what are the effects used in the beginning of the song "Blood Tears"? an acoustic guitar with delay and reverb right?

Acoustic with delay and reverb would be my guess too, though I'm far from a guitar nerd.

In other news, apparently all the BG guys went to a Kiss show and got ideas for their own pyros for the next tour.
----
05.08.2008 - 02:26
Gordon Freeman
Written by thesabbathfan on 01.08.2008 at 08:27

it was a guest reviewer though. but true enough, you shouldn't be writing power metal reviews if you aren't a fan.

anyways, BG is my favourite power metal band EVAR!

Why? Because they aren't objective enough?

If that is your reasoning than fans of Power Metal should not be allowed to write reviews about their favorite bands either.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
20.09.2008 - 15:41
Abattoir
Staff
I have listened to some live staff from them recently. I must say that ''The Bard's Song'' is the best metal ballad I have ever heard live, when every single man in the croud sings along the lyrics of this song. It's just amazing and unforgetable.
21.09.2008 - 09:48
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Abattoir on 20.09.2008 at 15:41

I have listened to some live staff from them recently. I must say that ''The Bard's Song'' is the best metal ballad I have ever heard live, when
every single man in the croud sings along the lyrics of this song. It's just amazing and unforgetable.

Being a member of the crowd choir for that song is probably one of the best metal experiences I have ever had.
----
06.11.2008 - 08:55
Hrothdane
Here is the new song that Blind Guardian recorded for the game Sacred 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fakNlghOJY&feature=related

I was curious to hear what peoples' reactions on metalstorm are to it. The reactions I have seen over the internets have been overwhelming positive, with a lot of people saying it sounds like a reconciliation of "new" blind guardian (a twist in the myth, a night at the opera) with "old" blind guardian (imaginations from the other side, nightfall on middle earth).
----