Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Saw there wasn't a new thread so I figured I'd make one myself

This one is probably my aoty so far, just some good old breakcore, neat stuff

This one is also great, some nice emo
05.05.2021 - 21:58
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Okay, this is technically a 2017 release, but it's finally available on 12" vinyl and worth some attention.
Eerie but simply beautiful trip hop / dark ambient / downtempo from Canada and the perfect soundtrack for stormy nights with thunder and lightning.
I love it.

----
signatures = SPAM
25.06.2021 - 15:22
Deadsoulman

Oh hey, just realised there's a new Dropkick Murphys out. So we get 11 merry drinking songs, heavier on the folk and lighter on the punk than before. Fun as hell, as usual.

06.07.2021 - 13:29
Deadsoulman

Kevin Richard Martin just released a new score for Tarkovsky's Solaris. A very fine piece of drony dark ambient music.

02.10.2021 - 23:14
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
This is ok:
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
21.10.2021 - 19:33
IronAngel

I have a bunch of stuff I need to get around to listing or sharing, but today I'm psyched for the second single off of the forthcoming Richard Dawson & Circle collab. I only knew Dawson by name before, but this is fantastic and fresh. I guess he plays freak folk or whatever, and it's mixed with Circle's krautrock and actually reminds me of Circle-related projects like Rättö & Lehtisalo and Eleonoora Rosenholm (the other track, Lily, specifically).

21.10.2021 - 20:35
IronAngel

And for something completely different, I'm really happy about the new Sleigh Bells album. I loved their debut Treats, but none of their albums in the 11 years since really interested me. Now it feels like they've found a spark again. I doubt they'll ever capture the magic of Treats again, but it's a solid, fun album:

Nicolas Jaar's DARKSIDE album is maybe my favorite of his, so far. Organic, layered, tense, it reminds me of many other things but doesn't exactly sound like anything. Quintessential headphone listening.

But my AOTY so far is probably Low's HEY WHAT. Low is maybe the most consistent band in the world, of those with a back catalogue in the teens anyway - not a bad album in almost 30 years. But Double Negative's glitchy abrasiveness was an exceptionally good new direction, and HEY WHAT keeps at it. Easily in the top 5 Low albums.
22.10.2021 - 15:03
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Badass electroswing from Spain.
Very bassy and boppy
----
- Reimu Hakurei
27.10.2021 - 21:48
AlexPhilip

1.Certified Lover Boy – Drake
Each Drake drop draws every eye in the music industry and beyond. Certified Lover Boy, the 6 God’s latest project, was no exception. With features from Project Pat, 21 Savage, Yebba, Travis Scott and more, CLB is a clear improvement from Dark Lane Demo Tapes. The project is full of everything a Drake fan would expect from a Drake feature: endless quotables, occasional corniness and some of the year’s best rap songs. Notable tracks include “Knife Talk,” “Champagne Poetry” and “Fair Trade,” but CLB is a project that beckons a full listen.

2.Hitler Wears Hermes 8: Side B – Westside Gunn
When the dust settles and the smoke clears, Westside Gunn’s Hitler Wears Hermes 8 is the end of an era. The Griselda Kingpin has spent the last decade bringing high art and fashion to the streets of Buffalo. On the artwork for Side B, he dons a ski mask designed by Celine, making the statement that Hitler Wears Hermes is more than a mixtape series, it’s the elevation of Hip Hop culture. Griselda mates Benny The Butcher, Armani Cesar, Conway The Machine and Mach Hommy all make appearances. Like Lil Wayne on Side A, Tyler, The Creator spits a verse on, “The Fly Who Couldn’t Fly Straight” that’s cold enough to freeze time. If there’s one takeaway from Hitler Wears Hermes 8, it’s that Westside Gunn and his friends can curate one hell of a project.

3.Sometimes I Might Be Introvert – Little Simz
Little Simz’s introspective opus spans just over an hour and grants access to her constant battle between achieving stardom and retaining aspects of the self that remain private. She embarks upon piercing soliloquies over rousing orchestral arrangements, elevating the importance of every single measure of every track. Simz is adept at immersing the listener in the mental war that rages within her, with each lyric resonating at a spiritual and emotional level.

4.Sincerely, Kentrell – YoungBoy Never Broke Again
Many have tried but none were able to dethrone Drake’s Certified Lover Boy from its top slot on the Billboard 200 — until YoungBoy Never Broke Again released Sincerely, Kentrell, the hotly anticipated follow-up to 2020’s Top. YoungBoy, who is currently incarcerated, is known for pointed and intimate tales from the street. On Sincerely, Kentrell, YoungBoy explores his past, examining themes of trauma, violence and loyalty. Trap ballads, love songs and pleading tales of systemic injustices, Sincerely, Kentrell isn’t an easy listen, but it’s an important one.
28.10.2021 - 00:53
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
New Kyary Pamyu Pamyu album is adorable, as always.

I'd post a streaming link, but there just isn't any, as it came out today... So if you want to listen to it you're gonna have to huh... Do what I did.
----
- Reimu Hakurei
30.10.2021 - 15:02
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Oh boy, didn't realize this was from this year, otherwise I'd have posted it sooner

A great little punk-done-right comtemporary gem:
----
- Reimu Hakurei
10.11.2021 - 03:07
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
How can progressive rock be so catchy?

----
- Reimu Hakurei
10.11.2021 - 09:30
JoHn Doe

Written by Karlabos on 10.11.2021 at 03:07

How can progressive rock be so catchy?

there is more prog that is catchy than prog that is not
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
11.11.2021 - 16:15
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
New Yeule song:
----
- Reimu Hakurei
11.11.2021 - 16:32
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Omg, new Sewerslvt full length:

----
- Reimu Hakurei
27.11.2021 - 23:25
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Nice female-fronted math rock:

----
- Reimu Hakurei
18.12.2021 - 16:19
IronAngel

New tricot dropped last Wednesday. They're always good, but they feel especially inspired this time. Broader scope, with both some of their most laid back tunes and some of their hardest hitting rock bangers. AOTY?

23.12.2021 - 13:13
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Pretty soothing trance/pop:

----
- Reimu Hakurei
29.12.2021 - 22:55
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Hip hop / synthwave:

----
- Reimu Hakurei
02.01.2022 - 22:42
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Nice indie rock thing:

----
- Reimu Hakurei
03.01.2022 - 15:09
IronAngel

At the risk of self-promotion spam: my top albums 2021 are all non-metal. The top 12 (4-4½ albums) is all really solid: Iron's 2021. It's in no particular order beyond rating.
11.01.2022 - 16:37
Deadsoulman

Martial industrial/noise Angolan artist African Imperial Wizard released two albums in 2021, the latter in December. Cool mix of indus and African trad music (which could be more prominent):

04.08.2022 - 16:52
Metal Rasputin

I just recently found a prog band called Trees Speak and their 2021 album, Vertigo of Flaws, completely blew my mind. It's a kind of modern take on krautrock with all sorts of experimentation with synths and production tecniques I can't fully explain, but they sound crazy good in my ears. I didn't think any prog album could feel this surprising and fresh again, but here we go. This is definitely AOTY material.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!