10. Down In The Dumps
11. Orbit
12. Skyfall

Disc II
01. Golden Times [limited earbook/Japanese edition bonus]
02. Save My Hide [limited earbook/Japanese edition bonus]
03. Pumpkins United [limited earbook/Japanese edition bonus]
04. We Are Real [limited Japanese edition bonus]

No pressure Helloween, it's not like this will be the most anticipated power metal album released this decade or anything.

I've talked before about my scepticism over bands releasing late-career self-titled albums, but in the case of Helloween, I understand completely the rationale behind this decision. Featuring Kai Hansen and Michael Kiske alongside Andi Deris, Helloween sees the band's entire history of lead vocalists all represented together. This album is the first time fans will have heard Hansen and Kiske singing on a Helloween record in 35 and 28 years, respectively, and naturally there's a lot of excitement that comes with this, not only due to the simple fact that it's been so long since these musical spheres collided, but also because it raises the possibility of the band returning to the sound they had when those members were originally in the band, something that the presence of the iconic keeper of the seven keys on the beautiful album artwork only hints further at. Living up to all this expectation was going to be a Herculean task for Helloween, one that it doesn't fully accomplish, but is Helloween at least a successful return to the power metal behemoth for Hansen and Kiske?

Probably the first thing to address is whether Helloween does see the band edging closer to their 80s roots or continuing in the vein of their recent albums with Deris, and I would say that the answer is yes; to be honest, from a purely musical perspective (I can't even pretend to care about any overarching conceptual background there may be to Helloween's music), this sounds like it would have suited the title of The Keeper Of The Seven Keys: The Legacy more than the album that was actually named that. "Out For The Glory", right out of the gate, feels like a real throwback to the classic Keeper records, partly due to the presence of Kiske on vocals, but also just the instrumentation all round. It's an exciting kick of nostalgia that makes you immediately glad for the return of Kiske to Helloween, who I have to say has barely aged a day vocally; without knowing the recent history of the band, I could've easily been sold if someone tried to convince me that this was a recently unearthed lost song from the 80s recording sessions. "Out For The Glory" is definitely the song that sounds most connected to the original Kiske period of Helloween, but "Best Time" isn't far off, sounding like a natural successor to previous mid-paced anthems such as "Future World" and "I Want Out".

I enjoy the Kiske-led songs on Helloween, but how about the Deris-centric songs? "Fear Of The Fallen", which sees Deris and Kiske nicely duetting with each other, is a good effort that feels like a bridge between classic and modern Helloween. I wish I could be so positive about "Mass Pollution"; I've got no idea why Helloween decided to try and write a Mötley Crüe song (or maybe Accept is a fairer comparison), but I could happily never listen to this track again. "Mass Pollution", whilst very much the low point of Helloween, signals a transition into the 'album track' period of record; of the few songs that follow, "Rise Without Chains" is perhaps the most notable, with plenty of energy, a solid chorus and exciting guitar solo work. Considering the album's length, a couple of tracks from this stretch could easily have been cut, with "Mass Pollution", "Indestructible" and "Cyanide" probably being my picks for the chopping block.

"Out For The Glory" is the second-longest song here, but after a stretch of shorter tracks, Helloween toss a couple of similarly long songs into the mix near the end with "Robot King" and "Down In The Dumps", neither of which rival it in quality, but they manage to remain engaging despite their lengths. If the album finished with "Down In The Dumps", Helloween would be a respectable return from Helloween, and one of their stronger albums of the Deris era. However, instead of ending there, Helloween is rounded off by the only song longer than "Out For The Glory": "Skyfall".

The sole writing contribution of Kai Hansen, this song is another reason why Helloween follows the legacy of the Keeper records from the 80s, namely in that it features a brilliant epic of over 10 minutes as the album's climax. I don't think it's a bold claim to already say that "Skyfall" is going to be the best power metal song released in 2021; it's heads and shoulders above not only most of the material on this album, but most of the material Helloween have released since Kiske and Hansen first left the band. Masterfully judged in its progression throughout, the song sees all three vocalists and the whole band shining brightly, channelling the almost unparalleled greatness the band possessed in their peak once more, from the main chorus to its rousing climax. "Skyfall" single-handedly elevates Helloween from a nice return to the band for Kiske and Hansen to a genuine late-career highlight, and one that leaves me hoping that the three-vocalist version of Helloween continues for a while longer.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 16.06.2021 by Hey chief let's talk why not

Comments

Comments: 43   Visited by: 455 users
16.06.2021 - 19:38
Rating: 8
MrShadowGizmo
Overhyped and underwhelming overall. The Kiske-Deris duo feels awkward, most of the new songs are just typical and mediocre except the opening track, Robot King and Skyfall.Too many band members are in the band for their own good.
Nice review though.
16.06.2021 - 19:54
Mohandas
Account deleted
I complete disagree ... Please dont make the same mistakes that people did with SiT and SoS (iron maiden) back in the day . This album is a marterpiece. It grows every time that you listen ...
16.06.2021 - 20:02
Rating: 5
Mehrad
Never cared for power metal. might give this one a listen
good review
----
Ride a horse that's cleaving through the air and space of dreams.
16.06.2021 - 20:02
Mohandas
Account deleted
I can t belive that you gave this Album 7.9 ,,, Please reconsider your analysis... This album is one of the best in the history of Heavy Metal .
16.06.2021 - 20:16
Mohandas
Account deleted
You gave 6 in Originality ... please show me something like the song Robot King in Helloweens past albuns ... The ending of that song is one of the most insane piece of music that i ever listen . I can point other songs in the album that sound so fresh ... For example ... Angels --- 1:46 to 2:56... Never heard something so beatiful and so full of emotions.
16.06.2021 - 20:21
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Written by [user id=310344] on 16.06.2021 at 20:02

I can t belive that you gave this Album 7.9 ,,, Please reconsider your analysis... This album is one of the best in the history of Heavy Metal .

People have opinions, you may love this album to death but it's not necessarily the case for everyone, the reviewer didn't like the album as much as you did and that's fine. 7.9 is a very good score anyways, and complaining about it won't change it.
16.06.2021 - 20:34
Mohandas
Account deleted
Written by Roman Doez on 16.06.2021 at 20:21

People have opinions, you may love this album to death but it's not necessarily the case for everyone, the reviewer didn't like the album as much as you did and that's fine. 7.9 is a very good score anyways, and complaining about it won't change it.

I understand , my point is that this is a very complex album and i think, reading the review. that the analysis is hasted and lack a perception of all the layers of the album ... This happened a lot with groundbreaking classics like Seventh Son , Somewhere in time , Painkiller and so on ... For example...

"Although Geoff Barton states that contemporary reviews contained "a definite reaction against Maiden emphasising their prog-rock pretensions", and that "one critic ... slammed Maiden for Seventh Son... and accused them of having regressed into Genesis-style prog rockers from the 70s" From wikipedia...
16.06.2021 - 20:42
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Written by [user id=310344] on 16.06.2021 at 20:34

I understand , my point is that this is a very complex album and i think, reading the review. that the analysis is hasted and lack a perception of all the layers os the album ... This happened a lot with groundbreaking classic albuns like Seventh Son , Somewhere in time , Painkiller and so on ... For example...

"Although Geoff Barton states that contemporary reviews contained "a definite reaction against Maiden emphasising their prog-rock pretensions", and that "one critic ... slammed Maiden for Seventh Son... and accused them of having regressed into Genesis-style prog rockers from the 70s" From wikipedia...

Maybe the reviewer didn't really notice these things as much as you did, maybe they didn't pinpoint them because it didn't feel like the most important thing to mention, or they ran out of space, maybe they simply didn't enjoy these elements enough to think they were an important element to put in their review, in the end it's just a matter of opinions, as is always the case for music. It's a great thing that you found in this album something you loved, and it just happened to not be the case for the reviewer.

If you love this album so much, you should review it! I'm sure a lot of people would be glad to read your more in depths thoughts!
16.06.2021 - 20:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
To many quastion for this one, I will wait to friday, see when I have time to listen it
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.06.2021 - 20:56
Rating: 9
Metal Invader
I had "Best Time" today listening this new album it put smile on my face only song that i didn't like is Down In The Dumps
It's not a masterpice but it's very close imo and is a damn good album overall,with almost every good song (matter of taste) on album,
what Helloween didn't had for a long time!!
17.06.2021 - 01:13
musclassia
Staff
Written by [user id=310344] on 16.06.2021 at 19:54

I complete disagree ... Please dont make the same mistakes that people did with SiT and SoS (iron maiden) back in the day . This album is a marterpiece. It grows every time that you listen ...

Written by [user id=310344] on 16.06.2021 at 20:16

You gave 6 in Originality ... please show me something like the song Robot King in Helloweens past albuns ... The ending of that song is one of the most insane piece of music that i ever listen . I can point other songs in the album that sound so fresh ... For example ... Angels --- 1:46 to 2:56... Never heard something so beatiful and so full of emotions.

I've seen some wild tirades in response to reviews before, but not normally something this aggressively passionate in response to what is fundamentally a very positive review, considering I stated that it was "a genuine late-career highlight", and that Skyfall is "going to be the best power metal song released in 2021". But let's go through these comments.

"Don't make the same mistakes that people did with SiT and SoS back in the day" - the albums Iron Maiden released in the late 80s were pioneering in merging their epic heavy metal with progressive songwriting, that's why it was divisive; this self-titled album is effectively a recap of Helloween's career. It does nothing to reinvent the wheel, and as such is in no position to be misinterpreted in a way that will be considered naive in 30 years. "One of the best in the history of heavy metal" - this is over the top. It's a solid return to the sound of the Helloween albums of the late 80s along with a continuation of the path they've been on with Andi Deris - neither of which position it to be a landmark in heavy metal. It's a solid album, but be reasonable - the fact that you've generated this account on the website today to throw such extreme platitudes around gives off a negative impression.

As far as originality goes - it's Helloween sounding like Helloween. Out For The Glory is in every way a reprise of the Keepers albums' sound, calling that original is impossible. They were original in the mid-80s, but it's 2021. The material where Deris takes vocal priority is a continuation of what the band has been doing for at least the past decade. For your specific examples - between 1:46 and 2:56 in Angels, there is a soft break in the song and a little grandstand build. There's nothing about that sequence that is novel - plenty of bands have done very similar sequences of music in the past 40 years. And Robot King? What is original about it? It's power/speed metal. Trying to use those as examples that this is a pioneering album does nothing to convince anyone that you're making a legitimate argument.

I have no issue with anyone disliking, liking or loving this album - I fundamentally think it's a good, perhaps overlong album that features a couple of cracking tracks and does a nice job of returning to late 80s Helloween at a late point in their career without sounding like they're ripping themselves off. Those with a greater passion for power metal are quite likely to enjoy it even more, and I hope they do. But the way you're talking about this album makes it sound like it's one of the first metal albums you've ever heard. There is pretty much a 0.00% chance that this album will be re-evaluated in decades' time as a groundbreaking classic in the way the late 80s Maiden albums were, because it's not breaking ground - it's building upon established conventions in a conventional manner. And it's not like the album is filled to the brim with the finest songs Helloween has crafted - there's several tracks from the Deris era (Nabataea, Straight Out Of Hell, Dreambound) that I would happy trade for some on here, let alone songs such as Eagle Fly Free, Halloween, March Of Time and other 80s classics. If you want to debate in contrast to my opinions, that's fine, but please do it in a way that is at least somewhat measured.
17.06.2021 - 02:08
Mohandas
Account deleted
Written by musclassia on 17.06.2021 at 01:13

Written by [user id=310344] on 16.06.2021 at 20:16

I've seen some wild tirades in response to reviews before, but not normally something this aggressively passionate in response to what is fundamentally a very positive review, considering I stated that it was "a genuine late-career highlight", and that Skyfall is "going to be the best power metal song released in 2021". But let's go through these comments.

"Don't make the same mistakes that people did with SiT and SoS back in the day" - the albums Iron Maiden released in the late 80s were pioneering in merging their epic heavy metal with progressive songwriting, that's why it was divisive; this self-titled album is effectively a recap of Helloween's career. It does nothing to reinvent the wheel, and as such is in no position to be misinterpreted in a way that will be considered naive in 30 years. "One of the best in the history of heavy metal" - this is over the top. It's a solid return to the sound of the Helloween albums of the late 80s along with a continuation of the path they've been on with Andi Deris - neither of which position it to be a landmark in heavy metal. It's a solid album, but be reasonable - the fact that you've generated this account on the website today to throw such extreme platitudes around gives off a negative impression.

As far as originality goes - it's Helloween sounding like Helloween. Out For The Glory is in every way a reprise of the Keepers albums' sound, calling that original is impossible. They were original in the mid-80s, but it's 2021. The material where Deris takes vocal priority is a continuation of what the band has been doing for at least the past decade. For your specific examples - between 1:46 and 2:56 in Angels, there is a soft break in the song and a little grandstand build. There's nothing about that sequence that is novel - plenty of bands have done very similar sequences of music in the past 40 years. And Robot King? What is original about it? It's power/speed metal. Trying to use those as examples that this is a pioneering album does nothing to convince anyone that you're making a legitimate argument.

I have no issue with anyone disliking, liking or loving this album - I fundamentally think it's a good, perhaps overlong album that features a couple of cracking tracks and does a nice job of returning to late 80s Helloween at a late point in their career without sounding like they're ripping themselves off. Those with a greater passion for power metal are quite likely to enjoy it even more, and I hope they do. But the way you're talking about this album makes it sound like it's one of the first metal albums you've ever heard. There is pretty much a 0.00% chance that this album will be re-evaluated in decades' time as a groundbreaking classic in the way the late 80s Maiden albums were, because it's not breaking ground - it's building upon established conventions in a conventional manner. And it's not like the album is filled to the brim with the finest songs Helloween has crafted - there's several tracks from the Deris era (Nabataea, Straight Out Of Hell, Dreambound) that I would happy trade for some on here, let alone songs such as Eagle Fly Free, Halloween, March Of Time and other 80s classics. If you want to debate in contrast to my opinions, that's fine, but please do it in a way that is at least somewhat measured.

Sorry if I was rude. But i will try to defend my position ...
First I am not new to the site , i just forgot my old user name (I think it was Kayman ) ...
Second English is not my native language so i am sorry in advance if i struggle to express myself.

I have 40 year old and i listen to heavy metal since my brother gave me a cassete of Keppers 2 in 1989 , so that album was "my album" as a kid . What ypu said about maiden i can say about the new Helloween , the fact that many of the songs embrace two of the most iconics vocalist in metal and were compose in such a way is , for me , groundbreaking ... Its is like a Black Sabbath album with Dio and Ozzy .

For my example , Robot King ,of course is a classic power metal song, but is also the work of genius , Weikath , compose that song specificaly to combine the melody of kiske and the brutality of Deris presenting us with a brurst of emotions and violence at the same time . Sorry but IMHO this is groundbreaking ...

As you mentioned "Out for the Glory" and "Skyfall"... I liked thoose songs but if the album was filled only with that type of song, it would be nothing more than a copy of Keppers and any Gammaray album. They tried something new but at same time that payed homenage to their past material.

So for me the main songs on the album are Robot , Down , Rise , Angels and We are real (Deris and Kai leading it is glorious).

This is my position and , once again sorry if i was rude ... For me the album is a solid 9,5... (i agree with you on mass polution)
17.06.2021 - 02:19
nikarg
Staff
Quote:

You are doing it on purpose, aren't you?

Anyway, I expect nothing less than the same amount of comments your Nightwish review received. Or even more; after all, Helloween actually are still a very good band and their work deserves being commented on.

I just finished my first listen and I liked it but I can safely say that it is not one of the best in the history of Heavy Metal. If it had 12 Skyfalls (quality-wise), it would have been but it has only one. I will play the shit out of it of course and come up with more comments in the future but for now I can also safely say that Kiske is a fucking God (yes, with a capital "G").

Of course it is power metal album of the year. That goes without saying.
17.06.2021 - 05:22
Rating: 5
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by [user id=310344] on 17.06.2021 at 02:08

You should consider submitting your own review with how passionately you wish to express your opinion.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.06.2021 - 05:51
Rating: 10
Júlio
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.06.2021 at 05:22

You should consider submitting your own review with how passionately you wish to express your opinion.

I dont have the skills for that .. It is me Mohandas (retrive my old account).
17.06.2021 - 06:41
Aries Rising
Written by Júlio on 17.06.2021 at 05:51

Try it anyways, I just did my first two reviews recently. It's a learning process and it's always a good thing to improve your writing skills.
17.06.2021 - 08:54
Rating: 6
majormalfunction
Written by nikarg on 17.06.2021 at 02:19

Of course it is power metal album of the year. That goes without saying.

The latest Warrior Path record was stellar and so far my favourite 2021 PM record, will be difficult to beat it, but tomorrow both this one and the new Pharaoh record will be released so there's quite a competition for the PM AOTY. Great times
----
Everything's twice as bright with money in your hands
17.06.2021 - 09:55
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by Aries Rising on 17.06.2021 at 06:41

I just did my first two reviews recently. It's a learning process and it's always a good thing to improve your writing skills.

And both were pretty good.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
17.06.2021 - 10:12
musclassia
Staff
Written by nikarg on 17.06.2021 at 02:19

Quote:

You are doing it on purpose, aren't you?

I honestly couldn't see how it could be controversial in this instance
17.06.2021 - 10:54
nikarg
Staff

Since we are close age-wise and taste-wise, let me suggest that you listen to the album a few more times (I am sure you will do that anyway ) and then - if you feel like it - you can try and put your thoughts into a review. Don't worry about your English that much, we have proofread much worse stuff in the past.
{Te prometo que lo revisaré yo mismo}

And for what it's worth, you did not come across as rude. The reviewer said that your comments were aggressively passionate and I agree. But rude? No. However - and even though the reviewer can of course speak for himself - I am 100% sure that he did not write this review with haste. Very few people have this guy's talent in reviewing.
17.06.2021 - 11:30
Rating: 7
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
That guy who deleted his account should review the album, we may get another rupophobic-style hilarious verbal fellatio to riducule for the next 10 years.
17.06.2021 - 11:36
lemme

Yes it is. Pure sense of Helloween's power metal style, Very good one.
17.06.2021 - 11:48
Zap
I must say the return of Hansen and Kiske has piqued my interest... If Skyfall is Hansen's only writing contribution I might just listen to that and ignore the rest.
17.06.2021 - 14:52
Charlotbk
The guy give it 7.9 it pretty good why some peoples are upset..... learn to respect different opinion we can't not like all the same band for me the single Skyfall was a big Meh and more like a fan service but I will listen to the album tomorrow to have my own opinion.
17.06.2021 - 15:45
Júlio
Written by Daniell on 17.06.2021 at 11:30

That guy who deleted his account should review the album, we may get another rupophobic-style hilarious verbal fellatio to riducule for the next 10 years.

I am here , I just retrive my old profile. and delete the new one .
17.06.2021 - 16:03
Júlio
Written by nikarg on 17.06.2021 at 10:54

Since we are close age-wise and taste-wise, let me suggest that you listen to the album a few more times (I am sure you will do that anyway ) and then - if you feel like it - you can try and put your thoughts into a review. Don't worry about your English that much, we have proofread much worse stuff in the past.
{Te prometo que lo revisaré yo mismo}

And for what it's worth, you did not come across as rude. The reviewer said that your comments were aggressively passionate and I agree. But rude? No. However - and even though the reviewer can of course speak for himself - I am 100% sure that he did not write this review with haste. Very few people have this guy's talent in reviewing.

Thank you for the words , but i must admit that i was a little rude and apologize to the reviwer . But i still have hope that this album will grow with the passage of time. I still maintain a solid 9.5
17.06.2021 - 16:28
Júlio
Written by Daniell on 17.06.2021 at 11:30

As said before , i dont have the skills to review an album and my english is very poor. So i am sorry but you will not be able to ridicule me .
17.06.2021 - 19:52
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by nikarg on 17.06.2021 at 10:54

Very few people have this guy's talent in reviewing.

His writing skills remind me of R'Vannith. Enjoy both works fantastically.
18.06.2021 - 13:36
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Júlio on 17.06.2021 at 16:28

As said before , i dont have the skills to review an album and my english is very poor. So i am sorry but you will not be able to ridicule me .

It's nothing personal really. We made fun of the obsequious tone of an Opeth review, not of its author. You can read it here to see what I mean: http://metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=24
18.06.2021 - 13:38
musclassia
Staff
Giving this the first listen in a couple of weeks since I spun the promo and wrote the review and stand behind everything I've said about it - it's a very respectable comeback album with a handful of standout tracks in my book, but I wouldn't go higher. Out For The Glory, Down In The Dumps and in particular Skyfall stood out again on this playthrough

Hits total: 6696 | This month: 5