Metal Storm logo
Site Change Announcement Thread

12.09.2021 - 20:43
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
In the interest of transparent communication of site development, I'll use this thread to communicate technical site changes to you, so we won't have to overcrowd the news with posts only relevant for the active community.

• You may realize a noticeable performance bump even compared to yesterday. That's a first part of the announced database optimization efforts to make better use of the new hardware resources (and fix some glaring structural issues in the database itself). These efforts are ongoing. If there's reason to believe there will be slowdowns, like earlier today, I will also post a shout. It might therefore become a good habit to check the shoutbox before submitting large articles you have only written in the site and never backed up anywhere

• Watched topics in the forums are now displayed on top of the forums list, not at the bottom.
----
12.09.2021 - 21:22
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin

• The Quiz no longer supports sound questions.

We're thinking of removing the Quiz from the site entirely. Engagement is terribly low and sound support died with flash. For now it remains usable without annoying non-working sound questions.
----
11.11.2021 - 23:37
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
We reduced the shoutbox delay to 30 seconds.

This is an experiment. We want to make it easier for you to communicate and removing the delay is on the table. Before we go that far we will likely introduce a way to set a user's delay separately to deal with spammers.

Your feedback is welcome
----
12.11.2021 - 10:55
Zap
Written by corrupt on 11.11.2021 at 23:37

This is an experiment. We want to make it easier for you to communicate and removing the delay is on the table. Before we go that far we will likely introduce a way to set a user's delay separately to deal with spammers.

Your feedback is welcome

Just an idea: you could link delay time to community points, just to avoid new people/bots spamming the place.
I haven't thought deep on the (unintended) consequences that could bring, so feel free to argue against my suggestion.
12.11.2021 - 11:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Zap on 12.11.2021 at 10:55

Written by corrupt on 11.11.2021 at 23:37

Your feedback is welcome

Just an idea: you could link delay time to community points, just to avoid new people/bots spamming the place.
I haven't thought deep on the (unintended) consequences that could bring, so feel free to argue against my suggestion.

And then how many community points we need. Maco and No One use sb and has no points enough
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.11.2021 - 11:54
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Zap on 12.11.2021 at 10:55

As I said, we're looking to remove the shout delay altogether. The 30 seconds are a first step towards that. If spamming should pick up now, we'll have to re-think our approach, but I'd rather have people be able to finish a thought or point and give certain individuals a delay in response for abusing the SB, than tie delay to something completely different like database edits.
----
12.11.2021 - 12:05
Zap
Written by corrupt on 12.11.2021 at 11:54

As I said, we're looking to remove the shout delay altogether. The 30 seconds are a first step towards that. If spamming should pick up now, we'll have to re-think our approach, but I'd rather have people be able to finish a thought or point and give certain individuals a delay in response for abusing the SB, than tie delay to something completely different like database edits.

Yeah that's fair, I was just putting it out there.
12.11.2021 - 17:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I think a option to say a sentence or thougt is good idea, to not wait a 2 Mikes. Good idea, I hope it will stay.
----

apos;'
[image]
07.03.2022 - 14:41
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
I will in the next few days make several database modifications in preparation for a bigger update planned for later this month. There's a possibility that minor site features stop working over night. You can report them here, but I expect things to start working again after said update.

The first one is the "similar bands" feature. I'm not fixing any bugs, just bringing the underlying database structure in line with what we have planned.

If you find something really weird, feel free to let me know. It's better to have feedback than work in the dark
----
07.03.2022 - 16:18
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Oooh, the april fools is gonna be big this time
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
07.03.2022 - 16:22
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Karlabos on 07.03.2022 at 16:18

Haha! This is not about that though
----
07.03.2022 - 16:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Karlabos on 07.03.2022 at 16:18

Yes I will be promote as admin and sit in Corrupt chair and make commando programming typos [comand--bar emnglish os admin, modifcate pemsunhis band acount gots 1millionbitcxoins]
----

apos;'
[image]
26.02.2024 - 12:56
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
I just pushed an update to make forum posts transactional. You shouldn't see any differences, but if you do, please post here or send me a PM. Especially in error cases there may be situations that I can't easily test but may lead to weird messages or redirects.

Anything you see that you don't expect with regards to posting in the forum, including creating new topics, please let me know
----
26.02.2024 - 13:35
Redel
I immediately encountered a problem in my first post. Trying to place the first post on this album page returned the following error message:
Error!
An error occured. Please contact an admin about this.

Apparently it diverted to "Post new topic". And I could now hit "post new topic". But do I want to do that?
26.02.2024 - 14:06
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Redel on 26.02.2024 at 13:35

I immediately encountered a problem in my first post. Trying to place the first post on this album page returned the following error message:
Error!
An error occured. Please contact an admin about this.

Apparently it diverted to "Post new topic". And I could now hit "post new topic". But do I want to do that?

Can you try again?
----
26.02.2024 - 14:17
Redel
Written by corrupt on 26.02.2024 at 14:06

Can you try again?

Worked now for me, just like before.
Interestingly I apparently already opened a "new topic" when I first tried to post the comment, although I didnt even hit the buttom on the divertion page.
Because I had a notification on:
"Your topic, Bloodgood - Bloodgood, has been deleted. "
17.03.2024 - 14:39
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Forum posts now have permalink buttons to make it easier for everyone to link to individual posts.
----