Metal Storm logo
Rugby Union

Original post

Posted by Judas, 08.09.2007 - 08:34
The 2007 Rugby World Cup has kicked off in France, and I just realised that there isn't a thread for this fine game on Metalstorm! So, all who are interested in this game, named for the Rugby School in England where William Webb Ellis picked up a football during a game and ran with it, here is a thread for you to talk about recent developments and to ask questions about that which you may not understand.

Now, about the World Cup, I didn't get to watch the first match because it was really early in the morning for us here, but when I woke up I was stunned to see that Argentina had beaten France, the host nation! Any thoughts on the game from those who did see it?
07.05.2024 - 10:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by M C Vice on 07.05.2024 at 10:28

Written by Bad English on 07.05.2024 at 09:17

Written by M C Vice on 07.05.2024 at 08:59

Not really. Think the only full union game I've watched was the 2003 world cup final.

On stadion?
I remember it I did skip school, It was cool game, but this WC was best for me.

On TV. Never been to a union game. Saw the 2008 league world cup final at the stadium, though.

I never have been on rugby game, but its on bucket list. I watch nowadays on internet, as much as can.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
14.05.2024 - 10:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
2023–24 United Rugby Championship
2 rounds before end of regular season and play offs

I saw to games

Sharks Durban 24-25 Treviso Benneton
Sharks got 2 bonus points, one 4 trys, other lose under 7 points.
Sometimes its weird see how South African teams play bad, what's wrong? I am happy see Italians progress and its good. Check out they national team.
Weird much in mid day in the sun, even in S Africa ist winter, its hot summer day there
After late try and conversion Benetton lead
Sharks had one final chance , but pass , player lose ball and it was over 80 min and game stopped, if he could keep it ity had chance., Rugby ends when winner team, kicks out ball after 40 and 80 minutes or looser team lose it

Pretoria Bulls 40-34 Glasgow Warriots
Warriors 2 bonus points, 4 trys and and lose under 7 points. Warriors was bad in firts one then they came back, they could win. They lead regular season to me its be hard say who wins
Warriors, Lenister or Munster in theory Bulls and Kaapstad Stormer can do it. We will see, I believe Warriors and Stormers be in the final unless they meat them selves earlyer and one of those teams will win.

Johannesburg Lions can manage play offs

Quastion is since its one game, Can S African teams play at home or must they play in Europe?
----

28.05.2024 - 11:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by M C Vice on 16.04.2024 at 23:15

rt/comp/nrl/results

what is economical situation in Aus and NZ RU and RL teams?

Why super Rugby ha sonly one game against each team in season 7 home 7 away plus Super Round? Why not as in Europe one at home and away. 12 teams it means 24 matches, 11 at home and 11 away?
----

28.05.2024 - 12:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Premiership Rugby

Andy tell us more
London Irish are ineligible for a place in either the 2023–24 Champions Cup or the 2023–24 Challenge Cup, despite their table position, due to the club's off-season suspension from all competitions

I believe Newcastle Falcons only 5 points will leave league since Gloucester has 35 points.
Northampton Saints won regular season

Play offs
Semi-finals
Northampton saints - Saracens
I like Saracens. Cool name

Bath vs Sale Sharks

Final at Twickenham Stadium what is home of English rugby union

Top 14

France's bonus point system operates as follows:[2]

4 points for a win.
2 points for a draw.
1 bonus point for winning while scoring at least 3 more tries than the opponent. This replaces the standard bonus point for scoring 4 tries regardless of the match result.
1 bonus point for losing by 5 points (or fewer). The margin had been 7 points until being changed prior to the 2014–15 season.
From the 2017–18 season onwards, only the 14th placed team is automatically relegated to the Pro D2. The 13th placed team play the runner-up of the Pro D2 play-off, with the winner taking up the final place in the Top 14 for the following season

This is new to me , seems well maybe legit 3 tries more as opponent is harder to do as 4 tries at game, maybe its logic, but I am use to 4 tries get ponus point

Regular season will end 8 June 2024

This weekend ends United Rugby Championship regular season. It will be cool. I will talk about all play offfs

Challange Cup Tier 2

Gloucester Rugby 22-36 Sharks Durban
There will be years when S African teams be bad, and years when they will take all.
After group stage this was more like S Africa in WC good machine, play smart, slow and dont waist energy and do what have to do.
Gloucester late 2 tries was to latte to win, in dying minutes Sharks get try.

They are champions

European Rugby Champions Cup Tier 1

Leinster 22–31 (a.e.t.) Toulouse
3th time in competition history its extra time. Toulouse won 6 times and its record Leinster has 4.

Game was sloppy due sun, I hate watch sport at sun, thats why we need roofs. 1th was bad defense, take care about own and not adventure,
In end when it was 15-15 Leinster player missed drop goal, from more as mid field, if he would score, it would be a hellowa win.
Overtime was well, Toulouse had more fuel .
----

28.05.2024 - 13:06
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Bad English on 28.05.2024 at 11:53

Written by M C Vice on 16.04.2024 at 23:15

rt/comp/nrl/results

what is economical situation in Aus and NZ RU and RL teams?

Why super Rugby ha sonly one game against each team in season 7 home 7 away plus Super Round? Why not as in Europe one at home and away. 12 teams it means 24 matches, 11 at home and 11 away?

Short Super Rugby season is probably because they play more internationals. Don't know about NZ, but Aus union isn't so good financially these days.
The NRL has 27 rounds, 17 teams, and each gets 3 byes each. They play about half the teams twice and other half once.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
28.05.2024 - 15:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
In Europe they play international to, what's different?
----

28.05.2024 - 19:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Andy I just heard that London Irish and London Wasp was banned from premiership rugby. Tell me why?
----

28.05.2024 - 19:34
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Written by Bad English on 28.05.2024 at 19:26

Andy I just heard that London Irish and London Wasp was banned from premiership rugby. Tell me why?

They entered administration, or lack of funds to compete.
28.05.2024 - 19:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 28.05.2024 at 19:34

Sad, loosing g those teams, will good Saracens are there, but still.
Why Scotland can manage 2 teams in United Rugby Championship. Glasgow Warriors and Edinburgh, thought they could have 4 teams.
----

30.05.2024 - 05:23
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Same thing just happened to Melbourne Rebels. They've gone bust, won't be back, are 23 million in debt.
----
04.06.2024 - 17:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Premiership 2023/24

Semnies
'
Northampton Saints 22–20 Saracens
Good game, but Saracens started well , but get 2 penalties. Then Saints hold the line and get few tries , basically Saracens had no chance really come back until last minute but it wa sto late for one try or drop goal. If you lead and get few tries, you can get penalty or drop goal and run away, but to win often you need be able get trys due points

Bath 31–22 Sale Sharks
Weird game , cant say much.

Final:
Northampton Saints vs Bath
In Twickenham Stadium home of English rugby

Hard to say in final can happen everything. I dont expect to be interesting game, but Saits somehow impressed me more whit semies game.

2023–24 United Rugby Championship
Regular season is over, teams I predict be in final are in quarters alreday
Italians Treviso Benetton are in semis and somehow I thought Kaapstad Stormers be strongest of SA teams but its Pretoria Bulls

Quarters:
Munster Limerick vs Ospreys Swansea
Good game, derby almost can happen everything , but Munster is strongest and so far they won, I believe they do

Bulls Pretoria vs Benneton Treviso
At home even how many surprises Italians do in last years at rugby , even how weird loses SA teams had at home, this will be game where SA will play as they did in WC against Romania.

Leinster Dublin vs Ulster Rugby Belfats
Derby , Leninister lose CL or what it calls final, they cant not offer another loose, so I say they do

Glasgow Warriors vs Kaapstad Stormers
My final prediction, so no comments, I like those teams, I hope one will win

Super Rugby
MC told Melbourne Rebels wont play next season, due financial debts 20 million dollies. We have fake teams Moana Pasifika whit pacific island players and Fijian Drua, why not make team from Tonga players? What takes place, I hope Ausie will have 4 teams, to me even tema is in financial debts in name of rugby and sport they should be there.

Quarters
Hamilton Chiefs (Nz) vs Queensland Reds (Brisbane) (Aus)
My dream is Aus Aus final since no one told we had Nz vs Nz and SA vs SA, SA vs NZ, SA vs Aus and Aus vs Nz but no 100% australian
So

Hurricanes Wellinton (Nz) vs Melbourne Rebels
Rebels has they motivation? Yes they wanna prove and needs team next seaoson. No why play we're not there, besides Nz teams has home advantage due higher rankings in standings '

Auckland Blues (NZ) vs Fijian Drua (Fiji)
Another one team game, no chances here for Fijis

Brumbies Canberra (Australia) vs Highlanders Dunedin
Rare case when Aus team are favorite.
----

05.06.2024 - 01:01
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Bad English on 04.06.2024 at 17:48

Super Rugby
MC told Melbourne Rebels wont play next season, due financial debts 20 million dollies. We have fake teams Moana Pasifika whit pacific island players and Fijian Drua, why not make team from Tonga players? What takes place, I hope Ausie will have 4 teams, to me even tema is in financial debts in name of rugby and sport they should be there.

Quarters

Hurricanes Wellinton (Nz) vs Melbourne Rebels
Rebels has they motivation? Yes they wanna prove and needs team next seaoson. No why play we're not there, besides Nz teams has home advantage due higher rankings in standings '

I still think it'd be funny if the Rebels won.

Goes bankrupt
wins tournament
refuses to elaborate further
leaves
----
06.06.2024 - 10:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 28.05.2024 at 19:34

Why Wales and Irland (as Isand) can have 4 teams in URC but Scotland only 2? Can not they gather 2 more teams ?
----

11.06.2024 - 08:32
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
French Top 14
Season os over ,in summer just play offs left. They have relegation play offs as well and first 2 teams are in semi, 3th to 6th has qualification

Oyonnax has relegated as weakest team 33 points in standings is good. Vannes won tier 2 and comes back

Relegation play-off
Grenoble vs Montpellier
Grenoble lose final in tier 2 , its odd they have home advantage, I say Montpellier will din it

Semi-final Qualifiers
Toulon vs La Rochelle

Bordeaux Bègles vs Racing 92
This has better , better teams bigger names

Semi-finals
Toulouse vs Toulon/La Rochelle
Toulouse are strongest team in Europe and I say this will be easy game for them

Stade Français vs Bordeaux Bègles/Racing 92
This will be hellowa battle, non of those teams wont give up so easy.

]Premiership Rugby
Final
Northampton Saints 25 - 21 Bath
Twickenham Stadium ca 81 000 plus attendance.
Awesome, special place for English rugby union, sad game was in day, such games should be in evening.
Bath get red card early, Northampton did get 2 tries game was almost done, but Bath came up even get lead whit awesome pass when player jump high in a zone and it was try. I end Northampton get points back and won. It ended in 82 minute, Bath had long attack when Northampton could kick out ball and finish the game.

Super Rugby
1/4 finals
Wellington Hurricanes 47 - 20 Melbourne Rebels
Rebels get 2 penalties at first, Hurricanes could bite trought defense and get few tries. Second Hurricanes walk trought and get few good tries, but Rebels almost came back whit 2 tries and 2 conversions 14 points. If they would do one more try, but in end Hurricanes did it.
Rip Rebels.

Hamilton Chiefs 43 - 21 Queensland Reds.
Chiefs in 25 minutes get 3 tries and 3 conversions. In second Reds did one try and conversion, rest was reaper of first one. I like this one, this is how game should be plaid, winter, darkness. I saw it was windy when convention was kicked

Auckland Blues 36 - 5 Fijan Drua
I would see Ausie team here, but democray is democracy. One man show, but in second JFihans find hole in defense and get try, it was beautiful try. They missed conversion

Brumbies Canberra 32 - 16 Highlindwrs
Crusaders Christchurch and Dunedin Highlinders Dunedin are weakest NZ teams i think.
That game was tide in first half, second Australian team did job and won.

1/2 Finals
Blues vs Brumbies
Sad no Aus vs Aus final. Brumbies last Australian hope, but I think if they would home game atvantige but we'll I don't think so.

Hurricanes vs Chiefs.
Just enjoy the game.

United Rugby Championship
1/4 Finals

Rugby Munster 23 - 7 Ospreys
I was hoping see better resitence from Wales team, but otherwise all action was in first one.

Glasgow Warriors 27 - 10 Kaapstad Stormers.
First half was tide and avoid the mistakes, not best fame, second was action. 5 minutes before end Warriors get weird try. In last minute when Stormers passed ball on own touch zone Warriors stoll it and killed Stormers.

Bulls Pretoria 30 - 23 Benneton
Good job Bennetons for trying and fighting.SA teams are weird, win games what they suppose loose loose games where they should win, play weird in some games. SA winter is as out summer, weird.

Leninister 43 - 20 Ulster Irish derby, but Ulster did not had enough fuel against best European team, if they would play in Premiership or French Top 14 they would win tittle.

1/2 finals
Munster vs Glasgow Warriors Be tide match I believe Warriors will win, they had more downs, in end if season they fond the way.

Bulls vs Lenister I say even game is in Pretoria in South Africa, but Leninister is way to good, they had won thought away matches and I believe they won't bloop this.
----

11.06.2024 - 08:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
What next?
I wont watch summer test series and bla bla, not fun, next real thing is 3 Nations Cup or what it calls now, Rugby Champinship, Seems they add more matches from 3 to 6. Autumn will come and then new seasons in Europe will start slowly I will follow and watch games, then Super Rugby and 6 nation cup will arrive, but its 2 semies in URC and final , also French games left
----

15.06.2024 - 09:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by M C Vice on 28.05.2024 at 13:06

Short Super Rugby season is probably because they play more internationals. Don't know about NZ, but Aus union isn't so good financially these days.
The NRL has 27 rounds, 17 teams, and each gets 3 byes each. They play about half the teams twice and other half once.

Does NZ people also dont attend super rugby games, I have seen luck of attenedce this season, Eden Park yesterday was like 40% sold out why?
----

15.06.2024 - 09:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Super Rugby Pacific
1/2 final

Auckland Blues 34 - 20 Brumbies Canberra
Game was done already first 10n minutes, it was like Blues has better all, I did not say any way that Brumbies will win that game and do any chance.
Lack of attendce

Hurricanes Wellington 19-30 Chiefs Hamilton
Good attendance really impressed.
First Chiefs try was like one hand job, awesome.
I did not expect so awesome game, maybe best this season and maybe best club rugby game. Chiefs plaid as at home, they simply did play fast, fats passed , movement, all team moved united as one and rapidly.
Hurricanes when Chiefs get second try, they should not kick ball so long, they should brake to try zone would help more. They stoill a ball and pass and get try, but it wa sto late

Final
Blues vs Chiefs
No Aus vs Aus final, just Nz vs Nz
Not much to say

2025 season
What will take place for Rebels? According to Nz Rugby union chef , no new team in next year then might come new super team
IMO tournament lose its power when SA teams left and why Jaguars from Argentina and Japan Sunflowers did not continue? Yes they plaid home games close to Australia, but still.
IMO those was best days, Argentina and Japan progressed a lot in those days .
SA teams also make it better.
----

16.06.2024 - 07:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
1/2 Final

Munster 10-17 Glasgow Warriors
Tight game, Warriors did it, plaid well in defense, find weaker spots and get needed trys , enjoyable game. Good they hold red card(to those who read red card in rugny means you leave a pitch for 10 minutes) . Munster was on attack whit but miss pass and Warriors player stoll ball, and get try

Bulls Pretoria 35-20 Lenister
I was wrong, well SA also ha slack of attendance, even 50K+ arenas, still.
Good equal ball, in rugby often you find a defense eror and brake trough, or defend eget ball and run. Worst are when you kick ball forward, it bouncing, easy get a try. Bulls kicked up and forward and Lenister player get eror and ddid not catch it was that why Bulls one. It was tide long period in end Bulls find a way and won.

Final
Loftus Versfeld Stadium, Pretoria
The Grand Final will be held in South Africa for the third time in succession,

Last year Stormers Kaapstad 14-19 Munster, 2022 was SA African final Stormers vs Bulls and Stormers one.

So I say its be tide, but Bulls has easier they plaid semi final at home, final at home. It means easier to get rest, dont need travel , but last final proved
Warriors has one in 2012/13 season I think
Bulls has one 3 times Super 12, 14 and super rugby what is same thing due different names, never has one united rugby championship

I wanna see Warriors taking, but its be hard.

French top 14

Semi-final Qualifiers

Toulon 29–34 La Rochelle
I like French people they do 1 game per day and late at 21:00 local time at evening. because its best what can happen, late games.

Today are 2 games, play out and semi final qual
----

22.06.2024 - 22:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Super Rugby Pacific
final

Auckland Blues 41 - 10 Hamilton Chiefs

Almost sold out Eden Park. Autumn rain
Those teams never play shanst each other in knock out stage. Blues gas not win since 2003,Chiefs since 2013.
Blues was better in all aspects.
Damian Mckenzie is one of best penalty kicker, conventor in a tournament.

Final

Pretoria Bulls 16 - 21 Glasgow Warriors
Loftus Versfeld Stadium was sold out.
Bulls one try, Warriors 4.
I predicted winner few months ago. In first I thought warriors are gooners, but in dying minute they get penalty try, it open up them in second. If it won't happen I belive Southies would win. Then last try it was tackle, ball was lost, Scots run but referee call video and it was fault. 80 minute awesome how Scots hold the line, and push ball outside try zone. Then whistle came. Imagine if bulls would get try and tide the game 21 to 21. As far I k ow math 16 plus 5 is 21. Then conversion 2 points, miss overtime. If ot would come bulls would find some ribbs and fillets to offer for a win.
----

23.07.2024 - 09:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by M C Vice on 28.05.2024 at 13:06

Test match
All Blacks vs Fiji in San Diego California
Seems more n more want go to USA, English language and big money there.
Italy play rugby long time but in 20 years when they play Six Nations and 2 teams Treviso Benetton and Zebre Parma (no I did not misspell Zebra) , Italians are progressing. In 2050 maybe USA be good at Rugby , 2031 WC there and who knows. Seems all goes make rugby there. Same as US football has come to Europe, baseball not so much, Rugby goes there

----