04. Lost And Found
05. Your Fear
06. Take It In Hand
07. Intermenstrual, D.S.B.
08. Right To Nothing
09. Prime Cut
10. Just The Same
11. Third From The Sun [live]

Prong was the megaforce thrash machine of the '90s era. While Force Fed captured the gritty essence of crossover thrash, Beg To Differ took a starkly approach, presenting a mechanically sheened sound that offered a sharp rebuke to the rawness of its predecessor, even while both albums shared the same thrash DNA.

To start with, Beg To Differ rips with its retro style-fashion deviant chops, with Tommy Victor’s semi-irate vocals selling like butter chicken here. "Steady Decline" delivers a more approachable, crunchier sound, intensifying the groove and rhythm, with subtle, almost subliminal patterns emerging from the structured thrash riffs, such as on the title track "Beg To Differ"; appetites are further whet by the mellow chugging guitar riffs that slap hard in lieu of Tommy’s vocals in "Your Fear". A mantra-like trance is brought on by the creeping rhythm in "Prime Cut", with crushing riffs and bass on top, making it a favorite track off the album.

Prong managed to evolve their style and production with a few steady shifts, all while preserving their core attitude: a crossover outfit modernizing their sound to adapt to changing trends. Yet, the infusion of punk sensibilities became less apparent, with songs limping by due to the slower, more polished approach and reverberating drum sound — processed and drenched in reverb to the point of sounding almost synthetic. This shift renders the overall sound less intriguing, and falls flat in terms of the compatibility of the album.

Much of the album retains Prong's thrash roots, albeit slowed down to groove-heavy hard rock tempos and dispersed with fresh interludes. However, mid-tempo heavy hitters like "Beg To Differ" and "Just The Same" manage to hold their ground in their own right. In truth, Beg To Differ is just as unique as Prong's debut; though it may not reach the same level of excellence, or may not be as exquisite as Voivod, it certainly operates with sharp eccentricity.

Highlights: "Prime Cut" and "Beg To Differ"

Written by Cynic Metalhead | 28.08.2024

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 48 users
29.08.2024 - 01:25
Rating: 9
Guib
Thrash Talker
Great read although I disagree mostly with the ending here. Personally, to me this is peak Prong along with Prove You Wrong and Cleansing. It's on this album that they truly managed to find their sound and craft something really unique and special. IMO this release is far superior to anything else they've released and a 7 (to me anyways) seems way too low. Beg to Differ is such an inspiring and influential album.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
29.08.2024 - 06:11
Rating: 7
Cynic Metalhead
Ambrish Saxena
Written by Guib on 29.08.2024 at 01:25

Personally, to me this is peak Prong along with Prove You Wrong and Cleansing. It's on this album that they truly managed to find their sound and craft something really unique and special. IMO this release is far superior to anything else they've released and a 7 (to me anyways) seems way too low. Beg to Differ is such an inspiring and influential album.

No doubt about when it comes to a peak Prong albums, but when you closely introspect top 3 albums here, I'd found Cleansing, Prove You Wrong and Rude Awakening(underrated release) slightly better than Beg To Differ. In Beg, I found adaptability far less missing than on others that have fired from all cylinders.
29.08.2024 - 07:57
Rating: 6
Redel
Never been much into them. I prefer Cleansing and the debut to this one.
29.08.2024 - 08:28
Cynic Metalhead
Ambrish Saxena
Written by Redel on 29.08.2024 at 07:57
the debut to this one.

It didn't move me much as Beg and other aforementioned releases did. I found debut album to be a good launchpad for the sound further incorporated with going mechanical in Beg and totally thrash killfest in others. As a matter of fact, I did find elements of 90s thrash in modern sound of Prong album namely Carved. That was good comeback album.
29.08.2024 - 09:20
Rating: 8
VileVick-Bryant
Underrated band, Also not a bad album although I prefer their later albums. This one did grow on me a lot though.
29.08.2024 - 13:44
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Although it's not quite as good as some albums I've heard this scene offer from back in the day, it's still a pretty solid and enjoyable groovy crossover thrash record and played an important role.
29.08.2024 - 14:13
Cynic Metalhead
Ambrish Saxena
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 29.08.2024 at 13:44

Although it's not quite as good as some albums I've heard this scene offer from back in the day, it's still a pretty solid and enjoyable groovy crossover thrash record and played an important role.

What I did like about Beg is mechanical touch to the inveterate crossover thrash sound.
30.08.2024 - 00:40
Rating: 9
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by VileVick-Bryant on 29.08.2024 at 09:20

Underrated band, Also not a bad album although I prefer their later albums. This one did grow on me a lot though.

There's something to be said about Ruining Lives. I fucking love this album
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
30.08.2024 - 00:51
Cynic Metalhead
Ambrish Saxena
Written by Guib on 30.08.2024 at 00:40

Another great recommendation. Along with Carved, new Prong is industrial metal.
30.08.2024 - 06:56
Rating: 8
VileVick-Bryant
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 30.08.2024 at 00:51

Written by Guib on 30.08.2024 at 00:40

Another great recommendation. Along with Carved, new Prong is industrial metal.

Yea Carved Into Stone and Ruining lives are their best newer albums. Their other stuff after those weren't bad but I don't think those were as great. But still had catchy moments.
30.08.2024 - 18:34
A Real Mönkey
Songs From The Black Hole is a favorite of mine.

These early albums are modest efforts but they will never escape the shadow of Cleansing, and deservedly so.
----
"Change the world. My final message. Goodbye."

~Last words of Harambe, seconds before he was shot, according to child he shielded from gunfire
31.08.2024 - 09:23
Cynic Metalhead
Ambrish Saxena
Written by A Real Mönkey on 30.08.2024 at 18:34

These early albums are modest efforts but they will never escape the shadow of Cleansing, and deservedly so.

True, as I said, it's in my bottom of top 3 Prong album. Cleansing and Rude sounds more crisp and closely associated with Prong's aura.

Hits total: 743 | This month: 459