02. Red Bomb
03. Last Man Alive
04. Message In Blood
05. War Monger
06. Power Thrashing Death
07. Stirring The Cauldron
08. Spit On Your Grave
09. Nailed To The Cross

Whiplash sounds like you throw Slayer into a blender with the riff-centric focus of early Metallica, and you get a chaotic concoction of gnarly and infectious. Whiplash released their debut album Power And Pain in 1986, and it's a blistering reminder that thrash metal doesn't need to be the fastest or the most polished; it has to be gritty, raw, a son of a nasty fucking piece where your soul gets shredded by Tony Portaro’s riffs. If you listen to album very closely, it will remind highly of Kill 'Em All, only if that album hadn't shaved for a few months, leaving additional shreds of gross carnage stuck to its beard.

Despite its rawness, Power And Pain is glorious evidence of Whiplash's undeniable knack for catchy songwriting. It's like they took the ethos of punk and metal, threw them into a bar fight, and recorded the aftermath. There's something almost primal in Tony Portaro’s snarling vocal delivery and speed-freak guitar backed by the other two Tonys (Bono on bass and Scaglione on drums), who lock in tight enough to make you claustrophobic. The guitar tone on Power And Pain leans more towards classic metal, with plenty of melodic moments that blur the line between riff and solo. Check out the main Judas Priest-style solo in "Stage Dive", or the opening staple speed-metal riff of "War Monger", and you get to know what I'm chirping about.

For squealing goodness, check out the lead in "Power Thrashing Death," which is probably the highlight of the album, since the production seems just a bit clearer on this one; the song is a bit slowed down compared to the others, and in pulling down the weightage by laying off the speed, it sounds oddly satisfying. What sounds more satisfying are the melodic solos reminiscent of Screaming For Vengeance emulated in the interlude of "War Monger", or even the solo in "Spit On Your Grave", which resembles that from Helloween's "Victim Of Fate". This album is heavier, a muscular, absolute thrashfest that juices with crunchy rhythmic flow, closing the record at its pinnacle with "Nailed To The Cross".

For your information, several tracks on Power And Pain had appeared on Whiplash's 1985 Looking Death In The Face demo (albeit as different versions, of course). For me, Whiplash unequivocally, true-to-the-mettle owned a sound that was never bolstered from any other band. No, it didn't make it among the cutting-edge albums of the 80s and early 90s, nor did it intend to, but it possessed all the elements a speed/thrash album requires, with extra touches of heavy metal in it.

What you waiting for? Go and take a bloody swing at it.

Highlights: "Power Thrashing Death", "Spit On Your Grave", and "War Monger"

Written by Cynic Metalhead | 08.09.2024

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 21 users
09.09.2024 - 03:23
Rating: 8
Blackcrowe
This is one of my favorite thrash records of the '80s. I've always loved this cover. I have it on vinyl and I have the T shirt too 😂… great memories.
----
Invisible To telescopic eye,
Infinity. The star that would not die
09.09.2024 - 04:36
A Real Mönkey
This album is the very definition of “okay.” Not bad but not great. Vocals are definitely the biggest issue but at least they’re not “Bonded By Blood” bad or “Eternal Nightmare” terrible.
----
"Change the world. My final message. Goodbye."

~Last words of Harambe, seconds before he was shot, according to child he shielded from gunfire
09.09.2024 - 08:31
Rating: 7
Redel
It is a good debut, but it also is Insult To Injury where they peaked imo.
09.09.2024 - 08:32
Cynic Metalhead
Ambrish Saxena
Written by Blackcrowe on 09.09.2024 at 03:23

great memories.

First three albums will always be my favorites here. I heard new album is on the horizon, and the new tentative album name is "Old School American Way".
09.09.2024 - 08:46
Cynic Metalhead
Ambrish Saxena
Written by Redel on 09.09.2024 at 08:31

It is a good debut, but it also is Insult To Injury where they peaked imo.

As I revert to Blackcrowe, first three albums were golden period and sadly I never hear to see the quality again.
09.09.2024 - 09:18
Rating: 8
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Another great review and thanks for bringing another overlooked gem to attention. It just shows how much quality thrash was about then, the vocals are an acquired taste for some but then they usually are with old-school thrash acts and it's all part of it's character, so it's no big issue. "Power Thrashing Death" is just a classic
09.09.2024 - 10:00
Cynic Metalhead
Ambrish Saxena
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 09.09.2024 at 09:18

It just shows how much quality thrash was about then

Another slab that fits aptly with is Municipal Waste, Toxik, Iron Reagan(little bit punkish side), Nuclear Assault, Exumer, Vio-lence(more groovy), Razor and 80s Exodus. I didn't have to stress on writing here for Whiplash for similarity, but never wanted to get off my radar to put it review here fwiw.

Thanks for checking out, Andy. I know you will have a fun with it.
09.09.2024 - 10:19
JoHn Doe
The vocals are an acquired taste on this album, his vocals get better on their following albums.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
09.09.2024 - 11:17
Cynic Metalhead
Ambrish Saxena
Written by JoHn Doe on 09.09.2024 at 10:19

The vocals are an acquired taste on this album, his vocals get better on their following albums.

I didn't find that to be noticeable as much as I was looking from the overall perspective. Yes, If you're on a verge to create high octane tracks, such vox delivery be it in NA, MW, or Toxik, it's enjoyable.

Hits total: 295 | This month: 295