Live bonus tracks:
26. Got No Legs? Don't Come Crawling To Me
27. Spook Perv Happenings In The Snooker Hall
28. Sumo Rabbit And His Inescapeable Trap Of Doom
29. Webbles Wobble
30. Dodo Doe
31. F.A.T. (Facist And Tubby)
32. Seventh Church Of The Apocalyptic Lawnmower

Thrash metal is a very interesting galaxy. It bursts with diverse sounds and subgenres, from classic thrash juggernauts like Slayer, Megadeth, Nuclear Assault, Testament, and Anthrax, to irreverent crossover kings like Stormtroopers Of Death, Municipal Waste, Toxic Holocaust, and Lawnmower Deth. When you encounter albums from SOD or Lawnmower, the great part about such albums is that they're over faster than pleasure rounds with my girlfriend.

Lawnmower Deth, the quintet from the UK equipped with impressive and intelligent pseudonyms like Mightymow Destructimow or Schizo Rotary Sprintmaster, mixes thrash, punk, and parody to make these ingredients taste delicious together. Their unique recipe of chaotic riffs, frenzied humor, and razor-sharp satire turns what could be a simple joke band into a deliciously addictive ride through the absurd side of metal. Five years before the release of this album, Stormtroopers Of Death had already laid the groundwork for humor-driven thrash with Speak English Or Die, injecting a dose of cynical, comical, and ironic commentary into metal’s bloodstream. They became the vanguard of a new metallic niche, proving that satire and aggression could share the same stage. Released in 1990, Lawnmower Deth's Ooh Crikey! It's Lawnmower Deth! conjures images of a deranged gardener high on thrash metal and anarchy listening to the orchestrated tornado of absolute crushing riffs, punk-infused vocals, and rhythms luring said gardener to rumble in a UFC-like moshpit.

From the first notes of "Spook Perv Happenings In The Snooker Hall," you're strapped into a sonic rollercoaster of very S.O.D.-compatible riffs; the velocity is high and a crude bass intermezzo bamboozles you with your life choices, leaving you with an existential crises. "Betty Ford’s Clinic" is a 71-second massacre of punk-fueled thrash. The killer track from the first half comes in the form of “Flying Killer Cobs From The Planet Bob”, which may be one of the exoplanets of the Milky Way galaxy; it has brutal riffs and aggressive shouting (“too much, too high, you smoke, you die!”) backing up jackassery vocals. Needless to say the track has even more to offer: the mid-section where the band sends greetings to Nuclear Assault’s Buttfuck.

When we meet “Cobwoman Of Deth”, it's a conglomeration of insane bass and a very subtle cool chorus over the riffs and high-intensive drumming that's a key takeaway from here. It goes well with the ridiculously fast-paced “Icky Ficky”, spouting absurd vocals and nonchalant guitars, giving a hysterical example of brandishing crossover thrash with punk. The production of Ooh Crikey! It's Lawnmower Deth! is as raw and as chaotic as a lawnmower left running in your neighbor’s flower bed. There’s nothing polished about it, but twenty-five tracks covering topics as diverse as groinal gardens, legless crawling, drugs, and getting drunk at the Betty Ford Clinic, Ooh Crikey! is an absurd romp through extreme metal. With over half of the tracks clocking in at under a minute, there’s not a lot of room for interpretation.

As I initially said, much like S.O.D.’s classic Speak English Or Die, Ooh Crikey! It's Lawnmower Deth! assaults listeners with sharp, short stabs of humor, wit, and cynicism. To quote Anthony Storr, “Originality implies being bold enough to go beyond accepted norms.” Lawnmower Deth took this one to heart and delivered a record no one else comes close to sounding like. So, grab a Downton Brown Ale and immerse in the enlightenment of Lawnmower Deth's Ooh Crikey! It's Lawnmower Deth!. Period.

Highlights: Whole album

Written by Cynic Metalhead | 17.09.2024

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 13 users
17.09.2024 - 16:53
Rating: 6
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
In theory, this album has everything I should like, it's fast, energetic, and has plenty of hooks, but I'm not really digging it as much as I thought I would. I quite like the songs "Satan's Trampoline" and "Sharp Fucka Blades Of Hades" and some of the lyrics are ridiculously fun though.
17.09.2024 - 19:33
Cynic Metalhead
Ambrish Saxena
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 17.09.2024 at 16:53

but I'm not really digging it as much as I thought I would.

Nothing groundbreaking whatsoever. It's a fun ball. You roll it up and down listening to interesting riffs and foolish commentary. A subset to S.O.D, Municipal Waste, D.R.I, Suicidal Tendencies, Power Trip etc.

Hits total: 207 | This month: 207