Release date: June 2024
A review by: RaduP

01. Glimmers In The Underworld
02. Thunder (Perfect Mind)
03. Down In The Hollow
04. Heavy Is The Crown Of Bone
05. Scrying Orb
06. The Stygian Rose

I'd go to church if this was the sermon.

First things first, when we last left off Crypt Sermon, they were showing some progression, both in the instrumental palette and in songwriting. They had already shown restraint and taking things slow in the release schedule, and the five years gap since The Ruins Of Fading Light shows that that's still the case. Some things have changed in the camp though. Guitarist James Lipczynski has departed, which in turn made bassist Frank Chin switch to guitars, which in turn made Matt Knox, who already had a short stint back in 2016, return to fill the bass position. Obsequiae's mainman Tanner Reed Anderson, whose guest contributions were responsible for the aforementioned instrumental palette expansions on The Ruins Of Fading Light, now takes a full position as Crypt Sermon's keyboard player.

It's not surprising that something about epic doom metal goes hand in hand with religious themes. Something about the somberness, grandiosity, and despair of the religious experience, when confronted with the silence of divinity, the ecstasy of rituals, or tales of creation myths and afterworlds, seems to work very well in tandem with how doom's sorrowful tones can take a more passionate and powerful leaning in the epic doom metal branch. I mean it's not like Crypt Sermon is the only band to notice this. The most famous epic doom metal video of all time features the singer dressed as a cleric, and they literally have "Messiah" in their pseudonym. And this thematic and aesthetic connection continues to this day, even with other bands.

Crypt Sermon might not be as aesthetically imbued with religious paraphernalia, and I can imagine someone listening to this or to any of their albums, ignoring the lyrics, and never making any biblical or religious connections. Lyrics aside, this is something that mostly clicks once you already become aware of the connection, and then all the emotional connections that I mention start becoming obvious as well. The vibe of the album is already dark and destitute even without said religious connotations, and a lot of it feels more fantastical and narrative, almost using religion as part of a story's setting and a character's motivation more than any philosophical undertaking, and putting the listener in that character's subjective experience creates the musical experience in itself.

The Stygian Rose feels more focused than its predecessor, keeping some of its progressive leanings but returning to Out Of The Garden's darkness. Meaty riffing, gruff and passionate vocals, subtle additions to the melody and the atmosphere from the keys, and having enough progression and melodies, especially in the final two tracks, to not make the doom dirges feel in any way monotonous. Brooks Wilson's vocal performance, while not being the most powerful in the universe, has enough personality and a very distinct tone to land him close to the greats. And even outside of the vocals, the dungeon-esque keys and the soaring guitar solos in "Scrying Orb" by themselves are enough to qualify for the most memorable moments of the year.

I suspect years and years will pass before we see another sermon will be presented. That's fine, thus far Crypt Sermon have done nothing but make each wait worthwhile.

Written on 20.06.2024 by Doesn't matter that much to me if you agree with me, as long as you checked the album out.

Guest review by
Blackcrowe
Rating:
N/A
"Sunday Doomy Sunday."

Read more ››
published 16.07.2024 | Comments (0)

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 93 users
20.06.2024 - 13:26
Rating: 8
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
If Sermons were anything like this I'd imagine Churches would be packed with metalheads, and I'd make sure to be one of the first grabbing a front row seat!
20.06.2024 - 15:52
Rating: 7
Blackcrowe
This review is fantastic! I am a fan of Crypt Sermon. Their music ranges from obscure metal to doom metal, with excellent heavy metal riffing. Their previous album, 'The Ruins Of Fading Light', remains their best work so far.
Stygian has some changes in their music, but it's still a great and enjoyable record. Regardless, Crypt Sermon is a great band.
----
Silence shrouds the forest
As the birds announce the dawn,
Three travellers ford the river,
And southward journey on.
05.08.2024 - 10:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Best radu review for a while. I misd you're older ones and often ones as well.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 1457 | This month: 22