Metal Storm logo
Dissection

25.06.2006 - 07:22
Mega-Slayer
I was suprised to find there wasn't a thread about them already.Anyway I bought "Storm Of The Light's Bane/Where Dead Angels Lie",finally and "Somberlain" is next on my list."Where Dead Angels Lie" and "Night's Blood" are the highlight tracks for me.I wasn't sure if they were considered blackened death or melodic death.Its hard to describe the mood of this album,its dark and dreary,yet somewhat fantasy.If you haven't heard it go an buy it,if you like death or black you will enjoy it.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
25.06.2006 - 17:30
Southern Wind
Account deleted
"Storm Of The Light's Bane" is an incredibly strong album, among my favourite shit EVER. it's cold, freightening, it makes me feel some weird kind of hopeless sensetion... "Thorns Of Crimson Death" is my favourite song by the band...

it had been hard for me to get into "The Somberlain" though, and "Rheinkaos" is less than shit.
25.06.2006 - 17:33
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I haven't been able to get into this band. I'll download some stuff, and you'll hear it from me.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
25.06.2006 - 18:54
Invoked
Account deleted
Written by [user id=5080] on 25.06.2006 at 17:30

"Storm Of The Light's Bane" is an incredibly strong album, among my favourite shit EVER. it's cold, freightening, it makes me feel some weird kind of hopeless sensetion... "Thorns Of Crimson Death" is my favourite song by the band...

it had been hard for me to get into "The Somberlain" though, and "Rheinkaos" is less than shit.

I agree with your opinion of "Thorns of Crimson Death", that song is amazing. As for "The Somberlain", I had that problem too until I listened to more black metal bands. Give the title track another listen, it's clearly the highlight of a classic Dissection album.
25.06.2006 - 20:28
Mega-Slayer
Written by [user id=2939] on 25.06.2006 at 18:54

Written by [user id=5080] on 25.06.2006 at 17:30

I agree with your opinion of "Thorns of Crimson Death", that song is amazing. As for "The Somberlain", I had that problem too until I listened to more black metal bands. Give the title track another listen, it's clearly the highlight of a classic Dissection album.

Well I should've listened to "The Somberlain" first so I would respect it more,cuz its not as enjoyable as "Storm Of The Light's Bane".I Shouldn't have listend to the best album first
----

25.06.2006 - 21:00
Southern Wind
Account deleted
@invoked: the title track is certainly the best song on "The Somberlain", but I like much more the version in "Live Legacy"
26.06.2006 - 01:03
Slottet av Take
Account deleted
Yeah "Storm of the Light's Bane" is a fantastic album its sort of the pioneer of the black/melodic death sound i think ....'Nightsblood' is a awesome song i love it! The whole album is full of great riffs and I especially love the vocals on that album its so evil lol Pity they became so gay. Then again I must admit Reinkhaos isnt a SHIT album. Its weak incomparison and probably not the comeback we wanted but I am getting used to it and I eventho its completely different from SOTLB and other albums, I can still find things in it which i like.
27.06.2006 - 10:57
MH
I love Dissection! Hell, I even love Reinkaos, heheh! All three albums are awesome, and although Reinkaos is something completely different, I see no reason to trash it personally - I'm a big melodic death metal fan, so.. I do miss some tremolo picking tho, and the lyrics are a bit too religious to my tastes. Jon's earlier lyrics were much better, some of the best metal lyrics ever, IMHO.

Now some nitpicking: I liked the album artworks by Necrolord better than the somewhat plain looking Reinkaos. But then again, I guess the black & white fits perfectly for what they were portraying - death of Dissection. Kinda sad, they're one of my favourite metal bands.. I was a bit surprised when Jon announced the news a while ago, after all the Rebirth of Dissection - stuff. Oh well. Anyway, who have preordered the Rebirth of Dissection - dvd coming up in July? *raises hand*
28.06.2006 - 03:54
Daru Jericho
Dissection are (or should I say were) great! I haven't heard Reinkaos but I've heard so much bad stuff about it that I'll give it a while before I pick it up. Storm Of The Light's Bane is most excellent. Surely, one of the best melo black metal CDs around. I love that album too much and the bonus track covers aren't band either.

Too bad they split up, or are about to. I would have loved to have been at that Sweden gig.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

28.06.2006 - 04:46
Invoked
Account deleted
Written by Daru Jericho on 28.06.2006 at 03:54

Dissection are (or should I say were) great! I haven't heard Reinkaos but I've heard so much bad stuff about it that I'll give it a while before I pick it up. Storm Of The Light's Bane is most excellent. Surely, one of the best melo black metal CDs around. I love that album too much and the bonus track covers aren't band either.

Too bad they split up, or are about to. I would have loved to have been at that Sweden gig.

The new Dissection album isn't as terrible as most would lead you to believe. Just dont expect SotLB and definately dont expect "The Somberlain". What most Dissection fans have noticed (and spoken against) is a heavy influence of the Swedish Melo-Death sound which never noticably affected Dissection in the past. "Reinkaos" is a lot like Carcass' later work in the sense that it's a good release but doesn't really suit the band or live up to its previous, more definitive works.
28.06.2006 - 10:17
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Dissection - Midsummer Massacre Set List/Pictures Online :

Dissection's (awful) set list from their Midsummer Massacre which took place Saturday, June 24th at Hovet in Stockholm (their last last-ever European show) is as follows:

01. Nexion 218
02. Beyond The Horizon
03. Black Dragon
04. Unhallowed
05. Where Dead Angels Lie
06. Xeper-I-Set
07. God of Forbidden Light
08. Reinkaos
09. Night's Blood
10. Soulreaper
11. Dark Mother Divine
12. The Somberlain
13. Starless Aeon
14. Thorns of Crimson Death
------------------
15. In the Cold Winds of Nowhere
16. Elizabeth Bathory
17. Frozen
18. Maha Kali

You can check out photos from the show here.

(Website : http://www.dissection.nu)
----
Your favorite band sucks.
28.06.2006 - 13:45
MH
Written by [user id=2939] on 28.06.2006 at 04:46

The new Dissection album isn't as terrible as most would lead you to believe. Just dont expect SotLB and definately dont expect "The Somberlain". What most Dissection fans have noticed (and spoken against) is a heavy influence of the Swedish Melo-Death sound which never noticably affected Dissection in the past.

I agree. Also, people should remember that it's been 11 years, there was bound to be big changes in that time - and surely, there was! I for one loved the result that is Reinkaos. I can understand why many people are upset about the huge change in style, but for me it's not that big of a deal. For two reasons: I love Swedish melodeath (Reinkaos sounds a bit like In Flames' Whoracle, which happens to be one of my fav albums from IF, so.. ) so no problems there. The second reason is the 11 years that have passed. It's a long time.

At first listen I was like "hmm, this is okay". Since then (about ~90 spins later, as of now) Reinkaos has grown over me big time! Besides, the limited edition of it is just so cool..
28.06.2006 - 23:38
Daru Jericho
Written by [user id=2939] on 28.06.2006 at 04:46

Written by Daru Jericho on 28.06.2006 at 03:54

The new Dissection album isn't as terrible as most would lead you to believe. Just dont expect SotLB and definately dont expect "The Somberlain". What most Dissection fans have noticed (and spoken against) is a heavy influence of the Swedish Melo-Death sound which never noticably affected Dissection in the past. "Reinkaos" is a lot like Carcass' later work in the sense that it's a good release but doesn't really suit the band or live up to its previous, more definitive works.

Yes, I for one expected there to be big changes, seeing as the band haven't put anything out in a while. Naturally, this is the case of most bands who follow. I'm glad I read your post. I mean, I personally like the melo death movement so I might find it different but likeable. There's no way I would expect another SOTLB or The Somberlain.
----

29.06.2006 - 21:23
Mega-Slayer
Yesterday I bought the re-issue of "The Somberlain" for fucking $11.It comes with 2 discs and its loaded with bonus and rare shit.I myself think its equally as great as SOTLB.
----

30.06.2006 - 12:04
MH
Quote:
Yesterday I bought the re-issue of "The Somberlain" for fucking $11.It comes with 2 discs and its loaded with bonus and rare shit.I myself think its equally as great as SOTLB.

Wow, for $11! That's awesome deal! Anyhow, would you recommend buying the re-issue if I already own the original? I mean, is the bonus disc stuff worth it? (well, for $11 of course it's worth it, heh.. But for the normal price?) *is quite out of money*
01.07.2006 - 05:59
Mega-Slayer
Written by MH on 30.06.2006 at 12:04

Wow, for $11! That's awesome deal! Anyhow, would you recommend buying the re-issue if I already own the original? I mean, is the bonus disc stuff worth it? (well, for $11 of course it's worth it, heh.. But for the normal price?) *is quite out of money*

If you can find it for a good price,and if your a big fan.Most of the tracks are demos of songs off of Somberlain.There is a cool old version of "Son Of Mourning,and there are for rehearsal tracks like "Severed Into Shreds."Satanized","Born In Fire" and "Call Of The Mist" which got my attention with the evil titles,but the production is almost incomprehensible .It also contains 2 live versions of "Frozen" and "Somberlain" from '95.
----

02.07.2006 - 08:15
Surtur
Well it's hard to explain my feeling about the new material, it seems like Gothenburg genre and it is quite good, I mean recently I read an interview with Jon Nodveit and he said that he has no influence from metal bands in jail, that he can't hear the new tendences in swedish metal, but it seems that he has, maybe the music isn't bad, in fact the guitars are great but sometimes it seems that I'm not hearing Dissection.

The only thing that I have to say about SOTLB is that is an awesome disc, one of my favourites, today I've bought The Somberlain and it is damned great...
----
" And every angel needs a tear to laugh "
02.07.2006 - 17:43
King Antichrist
Account deleted
The new album is decent, but I've only given it a couple of plays, and the earlier shit is great but sadly I haven't given much time to that either. Very cvlt band.
03.07.2006 - 17:23
Lindone
Account deleted
I wish that I also had the opportunity to go on Dissection - Midsummer Massacre >_> Can anyone tell me how it was and if i should buy the new DVD ?
08.07.2006 - 11:40
MH
Yay, I got my Storm of the Light's Bane T-shirt yesterday! It looks quite neat.. <shameless plug> Btw, some of you might be interested in this. It's a Dissection wallpaper I made a while ago.
08.07.2006 - 21:53
Sunioj
This band has been my favorite for so long, I have SO much insane memories from this band like tripping on acid and walking through a valley in north Jerusalem. Songs like soulreaper, nights blood, retribution, and frozen are my on the top. I admit Storm of the lights bane is easier for someone who listens to DM to get into, but the somberlain is just as good and mystical if you let it grow on you.
09.07.2006 - 11:31
mvikred
storm of the light's bane .. kicks ass ... their recent album reinkas isnt that great , but its decent

but storm of the lights bane .. totally rules \m/
----
I'm addicted to Technical Death Metal ... Somebody save me
09.07.2006 - 15:50
RavenLord
I only have Storm of the Light's Bane/Where Dead Angels Lie, but it is the SHIT! I love Jon's near-whispered vocals, and the riffs are amazing. Thorns of Crimson Death is my favourite song by far.

*side note*
One time I was listening to my mp3 player on shuffle, when that song came on. I actually thought it was 'A Tale Wasn't Right' by Helloween, due to the similarites of the intros, so I skipped it (I can't stand that ballad). I missed out on 8 minutes of awesomeness

Anyway....
I've watched the video for Starless Aeon to death on youtube, and I think it's quite good, but maybe that's because I like MeloDeath, and the fact that at the point when I saw it I hadn't really listened to SotLB. Good stuff, but you should see some of the stuff that shows up if you type 'Dissection' into YouTube...:what:

On another note, I quite like the way Jon works his religious views into his songs. As a Christian, I'm pissed off by the cliched use of Satanism in thrash/black/death, but bands like Therion and Dissection do something interesting with it, in combining their beliefs with those of other religions, mainly the Scandinavian (Therion) and Sumerian religions. This is good, I think, because it escapes the vicious circle of self-parody that normally plagues Satanic and Anti-Christian imagery in metal. Good work!
----
09.07.2006 - 17:13
Callette
Account deleted
Disection is one of my favourite bands since I bought Storm of the Light's Bane. The Somberlaine sounds good too, but I don't yet have the CD. (only mp3 loaded from internet...) I don't know what's wrong with the latest album, maybe it is too death metal. I heard some songs and grew bored very quickly, not that the album was totally shit but definetely not as good as the previous I think.
Where The Dead Angel's lie is my favourite at the moment. I really like the lyrics, I would say they are kinda beautiful and the guitar melodies are cold as winds of winter .
09.07.2006 - 23:44
Mega-Slayer
Written by MH on 08.07.2006 at 11:40

Yay, I got my Storm of the Light's Bane T-shirt yesterday! It looks quite neat.. <shameless plug> Btw, some of you might be interested in this. It's a Dissection wallpaper I made a while ago.

I have to say it looks rather good,I have always enjoyed the way Dissection write their logo.SOTLB t-shirt sounds tight,need to get one myself.
----

15.07.2006 - 10:07
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Mega-Slayer on 09.07.2006 at 23:44

Written by MH on 08.07.2006 at 11:40

I have to say it looks rather good,I have always enjoyed the way Dissection write their logo.SOTLB t-shirt sounds tight,need to get one myself.

baah since I bought that shit everyone is getting it...
16.07.2006 - 15:10
MH
Written by [user id=5080] on 15.07.2006 at 10:07

baah since I bought that shit everyone is getting it...

Yeah, I totally bought it because you have one.. :
17.07.2006 - 01:21
Daru Jericho
I'd love to have a SOTLB tshirt. It's not a trend at all; it's because the artwork is so damn perfect!
----

17.07.2006 - 01:23
Mega-Slayer
Written by Daru Jericho on 17.07.2006 at 01:21

I'd love to have a SOTLB tshirt. It's not a trend at all; it's because the artwork is so damn perfect!

Exactly,just cuz southern wind has one,doesn't mean you,MH or I cant have one:nogood:
----

17.07.2006 - 05:03
Konrad
Mormon Storm
I like Dissection because they are a mixture of various types of metal. The mood the band sets is similar to that of some pure black metal bands, but the actually structure of their songs is closer to a death-black mix. All in all, I think the band is very original and Storm of the Light's Bane is one of my favorite metal cd's of all time. I like all the songs but my favorites for now are "Night's Blood" and "Thorns of Crimson Death". I have yet to hear Reinkaos in it's entirety, but never expected it to be much.
----
Brujerizmo!