Metal Storm logo
Industrial Music

17.05.2006 - 08:39
Horlequism
Account deleted
I love industrial music...KMFDM, Ministry, etc...the machine-like production quality, the processed vocals and the frustrated agression that is acted out on every release...industrial rock/metal is great at anarchy and war themes and that's what's so cool about it...the sampling as well...I also think that most industrial dance bands like VNV Nation, Wumpscut and Apoptygma Berserk for combining techno music with industrial influences...
17.05.2006 - 12:48
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
I've heard them being called Industrial and rock, but I don't really care what it is exactly. I really love Nine Inch Nails.
The music has such a great atmosphere; Claustrophobic, emotional and sometimes scary.
Just listen to the Broken EP or The Downward Spiral and you know what I mean.
17.05.2006 - 13:10
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Industrial is probably my favorite style over all (I listen to everything from extreme metal to alternative rap). Most of the bands that are called industrial metal or rock these days have almost nothing to do with proper industrial music though. There is even an article I wrote about this on MS.
20.05.2006 - 08:14
Icewings
La Luna
Great Thread and yes I do listen to industrial or music that uses industrial influences ...Ministry is an excellent band , and if you guys look deeper there's a lof of not so known bands that are excellent for this genre ...it's different and they know how to mixed it up , something that is not easy and is music at the end , It gets me mad when people say ''What's all those noises''' you just have to understand it ....Great Thread
----

Metalheads for Black Lives and Land Back
27.05.2006 - 20:25
Danielazo
Account deleted
I used to listen to some of the original band of the genre (Throbbing Gristle, Cabaret Voltaire, Laibach etc), but they got old and I find them pretty boring right now (except some stuff by Throbbing Gristle)... right now, the only Industiral things I listen to are Ministry (specially "The Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste) and Coil (I'm obsessed with "The Ape Of Naples", one of the most sorrowful albums I know).
29.05.2006 - 20:36
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Why has this thread been moved to the General Metal Thread? Industrial is a whole different genre than metal.

I think this thread is more in place in the General Music Discussion subforum.
22.06.2006 - 06:49
LeamaS
Account deleted
Love Ministry!!!!!
22.06.2006 - 07:14
J.K.Carnage
Account deleted
Put on your boots and start stompin'.
22.06.2006 - 21:23
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Twilight on 29.05.2006 at 20:36

Why has this thread been moved to the General Metal Thread? Industrial is a whole different genre than metal.

I think this thread is more in place in the General Music Discussion subforum.

As was well established on the "why do people not like alternative metal" thread, this is the proper home for it on MS.

I will assume (with all the inherent risks) that this thread is discussing Industrial Metal as opposed to Industrial itself.

If you like industrial metal, I strongly encourage you to pick up Red Harvest's "Internal Punishment Programs" - it is pretty claustrophobic and crushing.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
22.06.2006 - 23:54
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Whoops. It's a long time ago I posted that message and right now I see I made a typo.
The second 'General Music Discussion' was meant to be 'Alternative Metal' subforum.

But it's moved here already, so I'm happy now.

As for the industrial metal; I don't really have interest in that right now. But I will keep an eye on this thread anyway.
30.06.2006 - 02:54
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
What is Industrial? I love NIN, Fear Factory, Rammstein, KMFDM, Ministry but I have heard that these aren't industrial bands. Does it have something to do with noise, layers, atmosphere, multi-climaxes, strange time signatures and free-form structure? I'm so confuzzled...
01.07.2006 - 07:27
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@P1_PP1_N: It really has to do with how a lot of samples and noises are used in order to replace a lot of melodies...strange time signatures belong in anothers genres like technical metal, progressive metal...I guess that multi-climaxes would be used in a lot of the noises and samples...there isn't really any free-form...that is for more ambient and avant-garde metal...layers, you can have in any sub-genre and quite often...
01.07.2006 - 08:05
Nevermore
Account deleted
I may sound like a n00b asking htis, but who are KMFDM?
01.07.2006 - 22:09
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Hahaha...thanks the lot of you for making me post so many times...

@Nevermore: KMFDM are a legendary industrial band...they started out as a joke band by a bunch of art students in France in 1983 who wanted to make a whole bunch of techno music with a lot of silly lyrics featuring really cheesy techno music...they did that for a number of years and well into the early 90s with the album Money...by the time of Angst a year later in 1993 they started to take things a bit more seriously, adding a lot more aggression and more metallic elements...they continued on this way all the way to 1997, where they went back to their techno and foolish playful lyrics (only in places), but that album was still pretty heavy...Adios in 1999 was a full return (to many people) back to techno/dance industrial music but there were still a lot of heavy tracks on that album...Adios was supposed to be a goodbye album but it that turned out to be fake...many KMFDM members (because there are A LOT of former KMFDM members, the band working a lot like a revolving door in past years) went off to form the band MDFMK (yes, KMFDM backwards) which to many fans is basically the continuation of KMFDM...KMFDM came back together for the 2002 album Attak, featuring a pretty solid and permenant lineup but we'll never know what the future holds...since Attak in 2002, KMFDM have put out three solid albums of industrial metal...
02.07.2006 - 14:23
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
I think they were already taking themselves pretty seriously with Naive in 1989...
03.07.2006 - 09:11
Nyctophobia
Account deleted
There is a website I found awhile back that does a really good job at pointing out the differences between "Industrial" and "Industrial Metal." It focuses on electronic music as a whole, so there is a lot of unneccessary stuff there as well, but it provides audio clips and such, so that you can actually hear and make comparisons.

http://www.di.fm/edmguide/edmguide.html

This is the site here. After the intro completes, you can click the "trance" tab, and trace the music from Industrial down to whatever you wish. The little audio clips entertained me quite a bit.
03.07.2006 - 20:07
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Oh yes, I think I actually saw the first version of this website back when it was first published...
His division of the industrial genre is pretty bad though, since Darkwave was more a child of the synth-pop/new-wave genres than of industrial and coldwave was a very short-lived term used on bands that today we'd call industrial metal. He also fails to mention EBM, which is a very prominent product of the genre, as watered down and pathetic as it is today
08.07.2006 - 08:05
Nyctophobia
Account deleted
He does mention EBM though, on this version anyway. It's between Industrial Rock and Darksynth.

But that electronic stuff isn't my area of expertise anyway.
10.07.2006 - 20:28
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I'll change the subject a bit by bringing up a couple of things:

Has anyone here ever heard Rob Halford's industrial/electronic project Two? Is Voyeurs any good at all?

Do any of you classify Marilyn Manson as industrial?

Are any of you familiar with industrial black metal? If so, would you classify the French band Malmonde as this?
11.07.2006 - 09:37
Nyctophobia
Account deleted
Marilyn Manson is popular industrial metal, very much like Nine Inch Nails. True he is mainstream, but he does play that style of music. Not that I care much for it.

Industrial black metal? That sounds to me something like the band The Kovenant. But I don't know, I don't think that industrial metal can merge with anything and still sound "industrial," considering how the original industrial bands had, in my opinion, a much more industrial sound than that of industrial metal. Eventually the industrial elements become neutered and watered down that you might as well drop the "industrial" moniker
11.07.2006 - 15:42
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Marylin Manson is not industrial metal. He plays shock rock with modern production, thats all...

I am not familiar with Malmonde but if you want to hear some good industrial black metal, I would recommend Diabolos Rising and Dodheimsgard.
12.07.2006 - 04:59
Bitch Boy
I like industrial music, the metal and the non-metal. I prefer those electronic elements accompanied by riffs, drums, etc. I also like those genres related to industrial that aren't metal, like electrodark, EBM, etc. I prefer these than pure electro music, which is always the same and very boring for me. My favorite bands: Ministry, Rammstein, Nine Inch Nails, Mortiis, Samael, etc.

About Marilyn Manson, I do consider him industrial metal, despite the fact he's commercial and popular.
18.07.2006 - 21:18
Nyctophobia
Account deleted
@ Jupitreas

I digress. Production has nothing to do with the industrial sound. Industrial is the use of instruments, and ultimately, sound, inpired by industrialized areas. Industrial music is very mechanical, and characterized by politically active artists. You can add as many layers as you want, or make certain instruments louder than others, whatever.

These elements were watered down, and replaced with an electronic sound, and with the addition of the "industrial" chugging guitar sound, industrial metal was born. To be industrial metal, you need the same guitar sound used by Nine Inch Nails, Rammstein, Ministry, etc, and electronic bleeping. Incidently, the political activeness of industrial metal is nothing more than criticizm of American foreign policy and the President.
19.07.2006 - 00:13
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
The industrial metal label is pretty confusing since almost no bands that are called this today have anything in common with actual industrial (or post-industrial). MM is primarily a rock band though, with a whole lot of annoying electronica thrown in for good measure. As far as I'm concerned a layer of electronica and guitar effects similar to those in NIN dont make a band industrial metal yet.
19.07.2006 - 15:54
THE MASTER
Account deleted
Ministry is great! But I also reccoment Red Harvest which is also a great band.
20.07.2006 - 11:15
Nyctophobia
Account deleted
As an aside, Ministry's side project, The Revolting Cocks, has put out an incredibly funny cover of Rod Stewert's song "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?" No guitars though - very much a more electronic sound. But still amusing none the less, seeing classic rock songs being shredded by bands with a "newer" sound.
20.07.2006 - 12:15
Southern Wind
Account deleted
NP: COIL - "The Ape Of Naples"... only onw word: sorrow
22.07.2006 - 22:04
Bash'
:)
the only industrial band i know is Pain [Industria/Pop Metal]

it's for Peter "of hypocrasy" and i've downloaded the last album for them to find it an OK album .. not as bad as on it's review i read here..

if there is a good band in this style plz post me..!!
thanx
----
I saw her standing by the crimson sea...
Isolated by the silent thoughts...
Her gazing was intense but so dead...

The teardrops corroded the soil.. She couldn't say a word to me...
22.07.2006 - 22:26
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Pain is a disgrace to music. Period.
22.07.2006 - 22:30
Southern Wind
Account deleted
mmm I agree with jupitreas... I would generally not care about such a shit, but coming from my metal idol of all times... it hurts...